Friday?s MAC Women?s Soccer Results

Updated 9/5/2009

Friday’s MAC Women’s Soccer Results

Bowling Green 4, Detroit-Mercy 0

Central Connecticut State 3, Buffalo 1

Pittsburgh 1, Kent State 0

Western Michigan 2, Southeast Missouri State 1

Akron 2, Morehead State 1 (OT)


Stories courtesy of MAC Sports Information Departments


Bowling Green 4, Detroit-Mercy 0

Four different players scored as the Bowling Green State University women's soccer team rolled along to a 4-0 win over the University of Detroit Mercy Friday afternoon (Sept. 4).  The non-conference match was held at Titan Field.


With the win, the Falcons improve to 2-2 on the season, while the Titans drop to 1-1.


Colleen Kordan, Leah Johnson, Katie Stephenson and Katelyn Turner were the BGSU goalscorers, while Alexa Arsenault and Becca Ison combined for the shutout in net.


Johnson had her first collegiate four-point match, with two assists in addition to her goal.  She scored three points during her freshman season.


The Falcons outshot the Titans by a 19-2 margin, including a 10-1 advantage in the first half.  But, it took BG nearly the entire period to put a shot past UDM goalkeeper Joanna Hinde.


"This is a big and important win for us," said BGSU head coach Andy Richards.  "It's the first road win of the year, the first shutout of the year, and it was an emphatic win against a team whom we had never beaten before at their place.  So, it was a big morale booster after suffering a similar scoreline at Michigan State."


BGSU had a flurry with approximately 10 minutes gone, as a long shot by Johnson was blocked in the box, as a number of Falcon players looked for a handball call.  No call was forthcoming, and junior Jackie Tamerlano's follow-up try was also blocked.


Hinde made saves on Turner and Tamerlano approximately one minute apart midway through the half, then had stops on shots by Stephenson and sophomore Alyssa Zuccaro several minutes later.  With just over 10 minutes remaining in the half, Hinde made a dive to break up a dangerous cross by senior Stacey Lucas, after the Falcons had put together four or five passes to work the ball down the field.


Under five minutes remained in the half when Johnson stole an errant clearing attempt by Hinde, but the Falcon soph was unable to get a great deal of velocity behind her ensuing shot, and the UDM 'keeper was able to make the save.


But, with only 96 seconds left in the half, the Falcons struck.  Sophomore Megan Amann took a corner kick, playing the ball into the six-yard box.  Kordan, a senior co-captain, redirected the ball into the net for what would prove to be the only goal BG would need.


The Falcons doubled the lead at the 58:32 mark.  Senior Jen Czapka took a Turner pass and played a ball back to Johnson.  The BG soph lofted a shot toward goal, and it seemed that Hinde was in position to make the save.  The UDM 'keeper misplayed the shot, however, and it landed behind her and across the goal line.


Johnson was involved in the scoring of BGSU's last two goals as well.  After a UDM foul, Johnson played a free kick into the penalty box from the right side of the pitch.  Stephenson deftly headed the ball into the far (left) side of the net, giving BG a three-nil advantage at the 61:54 mark.


Turner nearly scored just three minutes later, after a miscommunication between Hinde and one of her defenders.  But, the BG sophomore's shot sailed just wide of the target.  Turner would get another chance, however, and would make the most of it.


With just under 20 minutes left in the match, another right-side cross from Johnson sailed into the box.  Zuccaro was able to leap and head the ball back toward Turner.  With Hinde out of position after trying to grab Johnson's cross, Turner was able to quickly settle the ball and fire it into the net.  Zuccaro and Johnson were credited with assists on the play.


The four goals were easily enough for the BG defense to work with.  Arsenault and Ison made one save each, with Arsenault playing the first 66;09 and Ison coming on for nearly 24 minutes of relief work.  The shutout was the Falcons' first of the young season.


"It was great to see four different people hit the scoresheet," said Richards.  "Six different people have scored for us this year, so it is encouraging to have contributions like that all over the field.  It was great to get a shared shutout from Alexa, Becca and the defense as well.


"Leah Johnson had a big impact with a goal and two assists, but everybody played well.  The team responded well to the demands we put upon them in practice this week.  We are excited to get that win, and to play again on Sunday."


That Sunday (Sept. 6) match is a home contest vs. IPFW.  Kickoff is scheduled for 1:00 p.m. at Cochrane Field.


Central Connecticut State 3, Buffalo 1

BUFFALO, NY ? The University at Buffalo women’s soccer team opened their weekend series on the road at Central Connecticut State this afternoon, falling to the Blue Devils, 3-1. Angela Nicholas scored Buffalo’s only goal five minutes into the first half. UB goalkeeper Amy Coron had six saves in the game.


The Bulls got off to a quick start with Nicholas sending the first Buffalo shot of the game to the back of the net. Nicholas’s first career goal and UB’s first goal of the season was assisted by freshman Taylor Thompson at the 5:37 mark to give Buffalo an early lead. The Blue Devils tied it up with just under fifteen minutes to go in the half as CCSU’s Leah Blaney crossed right and shot to the top right corner to beat Coron.


CCSU took the lead at the 61:24 mark of the game and scored an insurance goal thirteen minutes later to put the Bulls down by two. Nicholas and Thompson each had two shots in the game. Freshman Katie Kerr also had an opportunity for Buffalo, but could not get by the Blue Devil defense.


Coron finished the game with six saves as the Blue Devils outshot the Bulls, 18-7.


The Bulls will take on St. Bonaventure in a road game closer to home on Sunday September 6. The game is set for 1 pm at St. Bonaventure’s McGraw-Jennings Field.


Pittsburgh 1, Kent State 0

KENT, Ohio - The Kent State women's soccer team (1-2-0) suffered its second straight one-goal loss Friday afternoon despite battling tough with regional rival Pittsburgh at KSU Soccer Field, as the Golden Flashes dropped a 1-0 decision to the Panthers.


"As tough and as frustrating as it can be to not get a result, in many ways this team is moving forward," said head coach Rob Marinaro. "I think this team is heading in the right direction; we are getting better and improving every time out."


Pittsburgh (3-0-0) registered their third consecutive one-goal win with the contest's lone strike in the 47th minute. Ashley Habbel connected on a cross by Ashley Cuba from the left corner and beat Kent State goalkeeper Kelly Sherwood (Strongsville, Ohio) from close range.


Sherwood and the Kent State defense were nearly impenetrable for the contest, as the sophomore goalkeeper had two critical saves in the first half to keep the contest scoreless at the half. Her biggest save came in the waning minutes of the first half, when, on a counter attack by Pitt, Sherwood smothered the ball right as Pitt's Cuba fired from 15 yards away.


As the second half progressed, Kent State pressed players forward in hopes of getting the equalizer. With the final ticks coming off the clock, Kent State had both a corner kick from Kelly Heaton (Mississauga, Ontario) and a set piece from 25 yards by Catharine Marosszeky (Aurora, Ontario), but were unable to break the Panthers' defense.


Kent State's Annie Messer (Dayton, Ohio) finished with a team-best four shots. Kelsey Knoll (Litchfield, Ohio) had her first collegiate shot on goal in the second half, with her 30-yard attempt forcing a save by Pitt's Morie Kephart.


Kephart made three saves for the shutout. The visiting Panthers finished with an 11-7 shots advantage, thanks to a 7-3 mark in the first half.


Kent State travels to Youngstown State Sunday for the first road game of the regular season for the Golden Flashes. Kickoff is slated for 2 p.m. at Stambaugh Stadium.


Western Michigan 2, Southeast Missouri State 1

WATERLOO, Iowa -- A late corner kick deflected in by the defense for an own goal pushed the Western Michigan women’s soccer team to a 2-1 win over Southeast Missouri State at the Panther Invitational on Friday evening.


In the 81st minute Caitlin Henderson fired a cross on a corner kick but it was deflected in by a SEMO defender to give the Broncos (1-2-0) the lead for good. The win was the first of interim head coach Suzie Grech’s career and WMU’s first win of the season. The goal was also the first of Henderson’s career.


Western Michigan was able to fend of the direct attacking style of Southeast Missouri State by making regular substitutions to keep legs fresh.


“Getting the starters relief really helped out,” commented Grech. “There were moments when fatigue takes over and the communication drops and we are not playing as tight of a unit as we should. But today the bench was very supportive and the girls got it done.”


WMU took the initial lead in the 40th minute on a diving header by freshman forward Anina Cicerone. Senior defender Emily Peterson crossed it in to the box in front of the net as Cicerone dived in for her first collegiate goal.


“Emily did a great job getting down the line and making the cross,” said Grech. “It was an extremely impressive goal.”


SEMO’s Bobbi Jo Schlick knotted the game one-all in the 57th minute, it was the only shot allowed on goal by a Bronco defense that allowed just three shots in the game.


Western Michigan faces the host of the Panther Invitational, Northern Iowa, on Sunday at 3 p.m. EST.


Akron 2, Morehead State 1 (OT)

MOREHEAD, Ky. ? Senior Britni Back found the net with 38 seconds remaining in overtime to lift the University of Akron women’s soccer team to a 2-1 victory over Morehead State on Friday at Jayne Stadium.


Back’s shot from 10 yards out was true at the 99:22 mark to give Akron (2-0-0) a win in its first of five-straight away matches. Back and junior Andrea Schweisthal both assisted on the Zips’ first goal of the night, which came off a header by junior Jordan Clark in the 20th minute to open the scoring. The double assist followed a corner kick that Schweisthal tapped to Back who then sent a cross into the box for Clark.


UA rode the 1-0 lead into halftime and held to that advantage until the 83rd minute when Jillian Birchmeier put one by Zips’ senior goalkeeper Michelle Smith. Smith, who was credited with five saves, got her hands on Birchmeier's shot.


Akron out-shout Morehead State (1-4-0) 3-2 in overtime, after the Eagles owned an 11-4 edge in that category in the second half and held a 7-6 margin following the first 45 minutes of play. Both teams took six corner kicks apiece.


“We knew going into this game that it was going to be a challenge,” second-year Akron head coach Chris Pfau said. “Having the IPFW game canceled really hurt us. We had two weeks off and no matter how much training you do it is hard to keep your sharpness. Last season we lose this game, we have grown a lot and even though we were not sharp, we played as a team.”


Akron also competed down one player after a red card situation at 89:56.


“We also showed a lot of character not only giving up a goal late but going down to 10 players,” Pfau said. “This was not about winning, but more about that we did not give up and just played. I was proud of the team and this game. Good teams learn to win when they are not at their best and that is what we did tonight.”


Akron competes at SEC opponent Kentucky (2-1-0) on Sunday at 5 p.m. EDT.