Story courtesy of Northern Illinois University Sports Information
Rockford, Ill. ? The Western Michigan men’s tennis team made short work of Ball State on Saturday
afternoon, as the Broncos picked up theirthird-straight Mid-American Conference Tournament
championship with a 4-0 win over the Cardinals at the Clock Tower Racquet Club.
With the victory, Western Michigan improves to 20-7 and advances to the NCAA Tournament.
Ball State ends their season with a mark of 12-13.
Western Michigan got on the board first as they captured the doubles point with victories from
both their No. 1 and No. 3 squad. Broncos’ seniors Bryan Norville and Alex Birchmeier paired
up at No. 1 singles for the 8-6 win over Jose Perdomo and Jorge Rodriguez. WMU’s No. 3
tandem of freshmen Michael Calderone and Kazuya Komada claimed the 8-4 triumph over
Shaun Bussert and Joe Vallee.
Hayward also posted the 6-0, 6-0 whitewash victory over Perdomo at No. 1 singles, while
Calderone picked up the 6-1, 6-3 win over Danny Vidal at No. 6 singles. The Broncos
received their match-clinching victory at No. 3 singles when Alejandro Staub defeated Bret
Berryman, 6-1, 6-0.
Western Michigan 4, Ball State 0
Mid-American Conference Tournament
April 26, 2008 * Rockford, Illinois
Clock Tower Racquet Club
1. Kevin Hayward (WMU) def. Jose Perdomo (BSU) 6-0, 6-0
2. Alex Birchmeier (WMU) vs. Eduardo Pavia (BSU) 6-3, 0-1, unfinished
3. Alejandro Staub (WMU) def. Bret Berryman (BSU) 6-1, 6-0
4. Kazuya Komada (WMU) vs. Jorge Rodriguez (BSU) 6-4, 2-1, unfinished
5. Bryan Norville (WMU) vs. Shaun Bussert (BSU) 3-6, 1-5, unfinished
6. Michael Calderone (WMU) def. Danny Vidal (BSU) 6-1, 6-3
1. Bryan Norville/Alex Birchmeier (WMU) def. Jose Perdomo/Jorge
Rodriguez (BSU) 8-6
2. Casey Cullen/Kevin Hayward (WMU) vs. Bret Berryman/Eduardo Pavia
(BSU) 4-5, unfinished
3. Michael Calderone/Kazuya Komada (WMU) def. Shaun Bussert/Joe Vallee