Friday's MAC Women's Soccer Results

Updated 10/9/2010
Friday's MAC Women's Soccer Results
Miami 3, Ball State 1
Toledo 1, Bowling Green 0
Western Michigan 1, Ohio 1 (2OT)
Eastern Michigan 2 Kent State 0
Central Michigan 3 Buffalo 0
Northern Illinois 1 Akron 0

Game stories courtesy of MAC Media Relations Departments

Miami 3, Ball State 1
MUNCIE, Ind. - The Ball State soccer team returned to the BSU Soccer Field for just the fourth time this season Friday afternoon and the Cardinals dropped a 3-1 decision to Mid-American Conference rival Miami. The loss drops the Cardinals to 6-7-0 overall and 0-5-0 in MAC play, while Miami improves to 10-3-1 overall and 3-1-1 in league action.  

"We have been hit very hard with injuries here lately but have kept battling," first-year head coach Craig Roberts said. "We are very pleased with some of the performances of our younger players who have stepped up here lately, especially the play of Kelsey Shapiro and Robyn Miley this afternoon. They have been given a chance to show what they can do and played very well."

The Cardinals fell behind in the first half as Miami opened the scoring in the 35th minute of play off a corner kick. Sam Whitemore sent the corner kick into the box where defender Brooke Livingston was able to get a head on the cross and drill it into the top corner for the early 1-0 lead. The RedHawks held a slim 6-4 advantage in shots in the first half.

Ball State came out in the second half and was the aggressor as the Cardinals held a 12-5 advantage in shots in the second frame. The RedHawks extended their lead to 2-0 though in the 67th minute as Giselle Mangal got behind the Cardinals' defense and beat sophomore goalkeeper Aubrey Buehler (Waukesha, Wis./UT-Martin) one-on-one.

The Cardinals quickly answered just 1:18 later as senior Tina Vannatta (Powhatan, Va./Springboro) scored her first goal of the year. Freshman midfielder Kelsey Shapiro (Farmington Hills, Mich./North Farmington) dribbled into the Miami defense before dropping the ball off to Vannatta who struck a shot from 35 yards out over the head of Miami goalkeeper Kris Gasparovic to make it a 2-1 deficit. The assist was the first point of Shapiro's career.

The RedHawks came right back and extended the lead back to two only 26 second later as Kayla Kakrzewski found Dani Fraelick in the box with a cross. Fraelick was able to poke the ball past freshman goalkeeper Layne Schramm (The Colony, Texas/The Colony) for a 3-1 lead.

Ball State kept battling as it pushed to cut into the deficit. Freshman forward Paige Stroinski (Granger, Ind./Penn) had a strong chance off a free kick from 30 yards out that sailed just wide and Vannatta had her shot at a second goal thwarted by Gasparovic who made a diving save off a free kick n the in the 71st minute.

Gasparovic finished the night with nine saves in the victory for the RedHawks. Buehler posted one save in 66:32 minutes of play wile Schramm tallied two saves in the final 23:28 of the contest.

The Cardinals return to action Sunday afternoon as they host MAC foe Bowling Green at 1 p.m. Ball State will honor seniors Kristina Anderson (Hamilton, Ohio/Badin) Cortney Coombs (Cincinnati, Ohio/Colerain), Jacki Eft (Fishers, Ind./Hamilton Southeastern), Missy Gordon (Carmel, Ind./Marshall), Danielle Rogers (Orland Park, Ill./UT-Martin) and Tina Vannatta (Powhatan, Va./Springboro) on senior day.

Toledo 1, Bowling Green 0
TOLEDO, OH - Toledo extended its unbeaten streak to a season-high eight consecutive matches with a 1-0 shutout victory against Bowling Green (4-9-1, 2-3-0 MAC) on Friday at Scott Park. With the win, the Rockets improve to 9-2-2 overall and remain perfect in Mid-American Conference action at 5-0-0.

Junior Ana Reynolds scored the match's lone goal in the 60th minute to give the Midnight Blue & Gold its best league start in school history and its third-straight win over its arch rival. Senior Brittany Hensler helped set up the match winner with a nice run down the left side, before crossing the ball to the top of the BGSU goal box to Reynolds about 20-plus yards from the goal. The Mentor, OH native accepted the pass and took one quick dribble before blasting a high shot that hit the cross bar and bounced straight down before trickling into the back of the net for her first goal of the season at 59:24.

Toledo controlled a majority of the action against the Falcons and had the lone good scoring chance in the first half on a header by junior Kristen Lynn at the 10:02 mark. Sophomore Natalia Gaitan played a nice ball into the BGSU goal box off a corner kick to Lynn, who headed it toward the goal. Unfortunately for the home team, BGSU defender Emily Rothwell blocked it off the goal line and cleared it out of danger to keep the match tied 0-0 at the intermission.

UT had another golden opportunity to break through for the first goal to start the second period off the foot of freshman Rachel MacLeod at 47:03. Hensler again made a nice move down the left side and she crossed the ball into the middle of the goal box to MacLeod, who tried to flick a shot on goal, but Bowling Green goalie Alexa Arsenault made an impressive diving save to deny the chance.

Just moments before Reynolds' goal, the visitors had their best chance to score on a shot by Alyssa Zuccaro at 54:58. BGSU's Katie Stephenson started the play with a nice pass off a free kick to Rothwell, who then played the ball forward to Zuccaro deep into UT territory. The Bowling Green forward tried to slip a low shot past the UT defense, but her attempt went wide of the target.

The Rockets did not sit on their one-goal edge and came within inches of doubling their advantage less than 10 minutes following Reynolds' score on a shot off the foot of senior Sarah Blake. The four-year player belted a shot that BGSU's Arsenault made an initial diving save on, but the netminder was unable to secure the ball. The sphere kept rolling toward the goal line, but Arsenault was able to pounce on it before it crossed the end line to keep the final difference at 1-0.

The Rockets finished the contest with a decisive 18-4 edge in shots, including a match-best five by Lynn and three by MacLeod.

Junior goalkeeper Vicki Traven was not credited with any saves in her complete-match effort for the Rockets, earning her third-consecutive shutout and sixth overall blanking this season. UT's Traven and the home-team defense have not allowed a goal in the last 367:17 of competition and only four scores during its unbeaten streak.

The Rockets will look to remain unbeaten in MAC play when they host East Division leader Miami on Sunday, Oct. 10. The opening whistle is slated for 1:00 p.m.

Western Michigan 1, Ohio 1 (2OT)
ATHENS, Ohio - Katie Kemen netted her second score of the season, but it was not enough for Ohio soccer as it battled Western Michigan to a 1-1 draw in an action-packed contest Friday at Chessa Field.

Kemen's (Cincinnati, Ohio) score was her second of the season, while Toye Famodu (Bloomington, Minn.) picked up the assist, also her second of the year. Kelsey Pichel (Rochester Hills, Mich.) led Ohio (4-5-3, 1-2-2 MAC) with four shots on the day, including three on goal. Famodu recorded added three shots, including one on goal, to go with her helper. Sara Seitz (Englewood, Ohio), Erin Schwenke (Solon, Ohio) and Kemen all tallied two shots, while Mattie Liston (Lakewood, Ohio) picked up seven saves in the net.

"It was a wide open game, and we got numbers involved in the attack. Attacks were dangerous for both sides today," Ohio coach Stacy Strauss said. "We had stretches of play where we were good on the ball and moved it around well. I thought for the most part we were very well organized on defense, but against a team that has a knack for scoring goals like they (WMU) do, if you make a mistake you pay for it."

Possessions went back and forth through much of the first several minutes of play. The 'Cats had an opportunity early, but the Bronco keeper jumped in front of Famodu's crossing attempt. WMU (6-5-2, 2-1-2 MAC) had a pair of attempts midway through the first half, but Liston made a pair of saves.

Both squads traded possessions the remainder of the half with neither side managing to establish any control. The Broncos outshot Ohio 9-4 in the frame.

Just over six minutes into the second half, the 'Cats scored the first goal of the contest as they gained possession deep inside WMU territory. Famodu fired a shot that deflected right in front of the goal to a waiting Kemen, who ripped it into the right corner of the net for the score.

That lead wouldn't last long as just over seven minutes later the Broncos struck back. Following a break to get behind Ohio's defense, Anina Cicerone sent a crossing pass to Brittney Pavlica, who headed it just out of reach of the keeper and into the bottom right corner of the goal.

The 'Cats came right back and nearly got on the board nearly a minute later as they took control inside WMU territory. Seitz fired a shot that hit off the cross bar and rebounded back to Schwenke. She fired a shot toward the left side of the net, but WMU's keeper Julia Francy managed to make a diving save just in time to keep the score knotted.

Neither squad was able to get on the board the remainder of regulation as the game went to overtime. The Broncos came out strong to start the first extra frame and took control of the possession. Ohio's defense was up to the task, however, and kept WMU from getting any clear shots. Neither side managed a shot over the stanza as action went to the second over time.

The Green and White came out strong to start the second overtime and had a chance early when Pichel ripped a shot toward the goal, but Francy managed to get in front. Ohio came within an eyelash of ending it in the 106th minute as it got behind the main part of the Broncos' defense and took possession inside the box. Pichel came up with the ball on the left side of the goal and fired a shot towards an open net, but Francy made a diving save at the last minute to ensure the tie. The 'Cats' defense stepped up especially well over the final 20 minutes of play, holding WMU to just one shot over the two overtimes.

Ohio will wrap up West Division competition Sunday when it returns to Chessa Field to play host to Northern Illinois. First touch is set for 1 p.m.

Eastern Michigan 2, Kent State 0
KENT, Ohio - Despite a strong effort in the second half both offensively and defensively, the Kent State women's soccer team was unable to recover from a two-goal first-half deficit Friday afternoon in a 2-0 loss to Eastern Michigan at newly named Zoeller Field.

With the setback, Kent State falls to 1-7-4 on the season, 0-4-1 in MAC play, while Eastern Michigan improved to 6-5-3 and unbeaten (3-0-2) in the MAC.

"We need to be more opportunistic," said head coach Rob Marinaro. "When the game is close, we need to make better decisions."

Eastern Michigan got on the board in the 12th minute breaking the Kent State defense with a long through ball. Paige Sheridan gathered the ball between a pair of KSU defenders, got a quick touch around goalkeeper Kelly Sherwood, and knocked it into the goal on the left side.

Kent State responded with an opportunity in the 25th minute when freshman defender Katherine Lawrence (Ajax, Ontario) made a strong challenge in the back and gave the Golden Flashes a counter attack. But senior Kelly Heaton (Mississauga, Ontario) was unable to capitalize on the chance.

Then, in the 30th minute, Kent State's Sherwood made a save on a 30-yard shot from the left side. She was unable to secure the ball, however, and Eastern Michigan's Chelsea Detrick converted on the loose ball for the two-goal edge.

With just two minutes left in the first half, Kent State nearly cut the deficit when sophomore Megan Repas (Avon, Ohio) fired a long throw-in deep in Eastern Michigan's backfield. The ball made its way to senior Josee Charron (Ottawa, Ontario), but skipped just high of her head.

Kent State, which had a 14-9 advantage in shots in the game, picked up the pressure in the second half. In the 60th minute, senior Kellyn Flanagan (Medina, Ohio) ripped a 30-yard blast on the right side that surely had Eastern Michigan's goalkeeper beat, but was denied by a stingy crossbar.

Eager to get a tally on the scoreboard, Kent State senior Annie Messer (Dayton, Ohio) had one last blast toward goal in the 88th minute, but Eastern Michigan's Monique Budani went high to parry the ball over the crossbar for one of her seven saves.

Kent State's Sherwood made four stops in the setback.

The Golden Flashes return to action Sunday, Oct. 10 when they host defending Mid-American Conference champs Central Michigan for a 1 p.m. kickoff.

Central Michigan 3, Buffalo 0
BUFFALO, NY - Mother nature welcomed the Bulls' women's soccer team back to UB Stadium with a blustery evening as the team fell to Central Michigan 3-0 in the team's first home game in over a month. The Chippewas took advantage of a physical match with an early goal and didn't look back. Freshman goalie Ainsley Wheldon set a career high in saves in the loss.

Much like the two teams' meeting last season, the Chippewas scored early on a penalty kick. A foul on the outer right edge of the box led to a penalty goal in the 30th minute of play to open the scoring. Central Michigan added another late in the first half to end the first frame with a 2-0 lead.

With the wind at their backs, the Bulls shored up the defense for much of the second half. Head Coach Michael Thomas employed a sub pattern of six players at a time to help keep the team active on offense and defense.

"The first half our subbing pattern got disrupted because we wanted to put in ball winners for as much pressure as they were dumping in with the wind behind them," said Thomas. "We've been subbing this way in the second half over the last three games and we have a tremendous amount of depth on this team and we like seeing the immediate impact every time we throw that new line of players in."

A goal off a deflection on a save from Wheldon was put home to tally the third Chippewa goal. Wheldon set a new career high in saves in the game, with 12, marking the fourth time this season that she has recorded double-digit saves.

"Ainsley's biggest strength is handling crosses and corner kicks because she has great footwork and great timing and she's very capable of going up and taking the ball off of player's heads," Thomas said. "She did a great job dealing with those today. We are very excited with her last four games."

The Bulls, now 1-11-1 overall and 0-4-1 in conference play, will rest up for a Sunday matinee at home against Eastern Michigan, the team's second of a five-straight home game schedule. The game will be a matchup of two battle-tested goalies, as the Eagles' Monique Budani has four shutouts and is just ahead of Wheldon on the conference leaders list in total saves for the season. Kickoff is set for noon.

Northern Illinois 1, Akron 0
AKRON, Ohio - Despite outshooting visiting Northern Illinois 11-6 and controlling the pace of play for the majority of the second half, the University of Akron women's soccer team was unable to find the back of the net falling 1-0 Friday night at Lee Jackson Field.

"It's a very disappointing loss," commented coach Chris Pfau. "I thought in the second half we came out with energy, got on the ball and made things happen."

The Zips (3-9-0, 1-4-0 MAC) were unlucky in conceding the match's only goal, when a 60th minute Courtney Ksiazek free kick from midfield took a funny hop and bounced over the head of Junior goalkeeper Jeny Wolbert and into the net.

The goal came against the pace of play, as UA had been applying pressure from the onset of the second half, beginning when Jordan Baranowski played a ball back to a charging Kelly DeNiro in the 48th minute. DeNiro fired a one-timer rocket on goal that NIU (7-4-1, 3-1-1) goalkeeper Amy Carr managed to just get a leg on and deflect over the top of the bar.

The Zips continued to apply pressure and control possession after the Ksiazek tally, with Kara Cooping making an excellent run with the ball in the 70th minute. The play started at midfield as Cooper gained possession and cut across the attacking half and down the right side of the penalty area before delivering a dangerous cross that Carr got her fingertips to, punching the ball away.

Leigh Cullen also almost had the equalizer in the 76th minute when she sent in a bending shot from just outside the box on the left side that just missed the far upper corner.

As the games final seconds ticked down, Kyra Petrole sent in a shot from 30 yards out that cleared the crossbar by just inches and settled onto the top of the net.

"But this game was an example of our season so far," said Pfau. "Did some nice things, missed some chances and then a fluke goal beats us."

UA had the best of the scoring opportunities in a first half that ended with the Zips taking three shots to only one for NIU. Rachel Phillip forced Carr into a save at the near post in the 15th minute. Ashley Hughes followed that attempt with a header that skipped past the far post in the 33rd minute.

Hughes totaled three shots in the game to lead the Zips, while Jeny Wolbert made a pair of saves.

Wolbert's first save moved her into first on the UA career saves list, passing Krystin Wilson who donned the UA net from 2004-07.

The Zips are back in action on Sunday as they host Western Michigan at Lee Jackson Field at 1:00 p.m.

"The good is that we are not out of it and we are really not playing that bad. If we keep fixing the little things and keep working hard, we can get on track."