Saturday's Field Hockey Results

Updated 9/20/2009

Saturday’s Field Hockey Results

Saint Joseph’s 5, Missouri State 4

Indiana 2, Ball State 1

Central Michigan 3, Vermont 2

Miami 2, William and Mary 1

Stories Courtesy of MAC Media Relations Offices

Saint Joseph’s 5, Missouri State 4
Missouri State field hockey suffered a heart-breaking loss in double overtime to the previously winless Saint Joseph's Hawks, 5-4, in Evanston, Ill.

After 15 scoreless minutes in the first overtime, the Hawks' Kellie Walter scored in the second minute of the second extra session to end it.  Off a Saint Joseph's penalty corner, MSU goalkeeper Steph Anderson (Pittsburgh, Pa.) made her 19th save of the game only to have Walter take the rebound and fire a shot. Anderson could not make her 20th save, and the Bears fell to 2-6 on the season.

It was a seesaw affair as the teams traded leads throughout regulation. The Bears came out showing no signs of a hangover from Saturday's 8-0 loss to Northwestern, as Alyssa Hile (Wildwood, Mo.) scored in the sixth minute for a 1-0 advantage.

Saint Joseph's answered back less than three minutes later, only to have MSU's Melissa Lantz respond with an unassisted goal off a penalty corner. The goal came in the 28th minute.

The Hawks were not deterred. They scored twice in two minutes to take a 3-2 lead with five minutes left to play in the first half.
That looked to be the halftime score until Kristen Pettey (San Diego, Calif.) snuck in a goal with four seconds remaining to knot the score at intermission.

Pettey struck again after half, following the rebound from her own shot and putting it past the keeper to give the Bears a 4-3 lead in the 41st minute.

But the Bears could not hold on. Anne Schreuders' goal with less than 12 minutes to play sent to the game to overtime where a depleted Bears team fell short. MSU lost freshman Reiann Stoute (Bridgetown, Barbados) and Jennifer Portell (Edwardsville, Ill.) to injuries. Stoute left in the first half with a hip flexor injury, and Portell left with a strained quadriceps.

The Bears return to Plaster Field to begin MAC play September 25 against Kent State. Start time will be 4:00 p.m.

Indiana 2, Ball State 1
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. - The Ball State field hockey team fell 2-1 Wednesday against No. 17 Indiana (5-2) Saturday.  The Cardinals hold a 2-5 overall record (0-1 in the Mid-American Conference).

Ball State trailed 25-9 in shots, but the teams battled back and forth over the 70 minutes.  "The statistics may not show it, but as a defensive unit, we really stepped up and played well the entire game," said head coach Annette Payne of Ball State.  "We showed a lot of character when we needed it." 

In the first five minutes, Indiana's Brooke Borneman logged the first goal of the day with an assist from Kelsey Kiper.  The scored remained 1-0 in favor of the Hoosiers throughout the rest of the period as Indiana nearly doubled Ball State's shot attempts.  Indiana also led 12-3 in penalty corner attempts.

However, senior Brooke MacGillivary tied the score with an unassisted goal at the 43:02 mark for Ball State, her fourth this season.  After holding the Hoosiers for the next 20 minutes, Corey Brautigam clinched the win for Indiana with three minutes remaining in the game after a rebound of a scramble.

Goalkeeper Tiffany Shifflett posted her first double digit saves game of the season with 11 in 70 minutes.

Ball State will return to action against Ohio State in the Cardinals home opener 3 p.m. Tuesday, September 22.

Central Michigan 3, Vermont 2
Kelly Jordan’s goal with 14 seconds remaining snapped a 2-2 tie and gave the Central Michigan field hockey team a 3-2 victory over Vermont in Columbus, Ohio on Saturday.

The Chippewas (2-3, 0-1 Mid-American) snapped a three-match losing streak with the victory.

Lauren Leed opened up the scoring with her third goal of the season in the 16th minute off a centering pass from Erin Dye, giving CMU a 1-0 lead.

The Catamounts answered with a tally of their own in the 27th minute when Megan Maynard deflected a pass into the goal to tie the contest, 1-1.

Leed put CMU back in front with her second goal of the afternoon in the 30th minute when she deflected a shot off a penalty corner past Vermont goalkeeper Kristen Heavens. The goal gave the Maroon and Gold a 2-1 lead at the break.

“We came out and played very well early,” head coach Cristy Freese said. “This was probably the first time all year that the team took control of a match in the first half.”

The Chippewas maintained their lead until UV’s Chelsea Stevenson put back her own rebound in the 53rd minute to even the score at two apiece.

The contest appeared destined for overtime until the Chippewas got a penalty corner in the final minute. Jordan converted her shot on a set play with 14 seconds remaining to seal the win.

“We had worked on our corner execution all week in practice,” Freese said. “It was big for us to convert on our chances in this match. We scored a couple goals off penalty corners and that was the difference.”

Central and Vermont each recorded 12 shots, but the Chippewas held a decisive, 10-3, advantage in penalty corners.

Melinda Curran started once again for Central and turned aside five of the seven shots that came her way.

The Chippewas will be back in action on Sunday afternoon when they face No. 20 Ohio State.


Miami 2, William and Mary 1
- It was a hard fought match between the Miami RedHawks and the Tribe of William and Mary, but the RedHawks were able to pull out an overtime victory, 2-1. This win brings them to 3-4-0 on the season. The Tribe is also 3-4-0.

Despite several shots on both sides during the first period, both teams were able to keep its opponent quiet. The first goal of the game didn’t come until 49:55 into the match when Jenna Cinalli of William and Mary scored on a breakaway with an assist from teammate Leah Zamesnik.

Miami was able to quickly get back into the game offensively with a goal from Katie Brightwell at 58:16. Though the Tribe had five more attempts on goal and Miami had three, the score remained tied at the end of regulation.

The RedHawks came out strong early in the seven minute overtime period, quickly getting a penalty corner on which Miami was able to capitalize. Brightwell again was the scorer off of an assist on the penalty corner from senior Mary Hull.

Miami is back in action again tomorrow as they travel to Richmond, Va. to face off against the Richmond Spiders at noon.