Saturday's MAC Field Hockey Results

Updated 9/25/2010

Saturday's MAC Field Hockey Results
Kent State 8, Ball State 2
Ohio 2, Miami 1 (OT)
New Hampshire 4, Central Michigan 1

Game stories courtesy of MAC Media Relations Departments

Kent State 8, Ball State 2
KENT, Ohio - The No. 17 Kent State field hockey team lived up to its nationally ranking by scoring a season-high eight goals today in an 8-2 victory over visiting Ball State in the Mid-American Conference opener for both teams.  The Golden Flashes have now won three of their last four games improving to 5-4 overall and 1-0 in the MAC.  The Cardinals fell to 3-4 and 0-1 with the loss.  

The offensive outburst came from all across the Kent State roster as six different players scored goals and another three players added assists.  Seniors Nicole Leach (San Diego, Calif./Mira Mesa) and Rachel Miller (Bathurst, Australia/MacKillop College) did the bulk of the damage for KSU scoring two goals each.  

"We had a real balanced attack today and it was good to see everyone getting involved with the offense," said Head Coach Kathleen (Schanne) Wiler.  "This was a team effort all the way around."

The Golden Flashes have now won four straight MAC openers and host Miami on Sunday.  The Redhawks lost at Ohio 2-1 in overtime today.  

"It is always good to start out conference play with a win, but now we have to refocus and turn the attention to getting ourselves ready to play Miami tomorrow," said Wiler.

Leach started the scoring in the 19th minute when she put Kent State on the board from three yards out off an inside pass from junior Debbie Bell (Hamilton, New Zealand / Waikato).  The Golden Flashes then went into halftime up 2-0 when junior Amanda Hoffman (Allentown, Pa./William Allen) scored in the final seconds of the first half.  Freshman Rebecca Lee (Bathurst, Australia/The Scots School) set up the goal with her aggressiveness forcing a Ball State turnover on the right sideline and then finding Hoffman in the center of the circle with just 10 seconds remaining in the period.  

In the second half Kent State racked up five goals opening up a 6-0 advantage before Ball State finally got on the scoreboard.  Miller scored the first second period goal followed by a score from senior Katie George (Springfield, Pa./Cardinal O'Hara), her second of the season.  In the 53rd minute junior Amy Wimsatt (Louisville, Ky./Mercy Academy) punched in her first career score just inside the left post when she deflecting in a sharp pass from Bell.  Just over a minute later Leach notched her second of the game off a long pass from freshman Sabrina Binder (Krefeld, Geremy/Arndt-Gymnasium).  

In the 62nd minute KSU freshman Alyssa McFerren (Gibbsboro, N.J./Eastern) answered the Cardinals first score of the game with the first score of her career.  McFerren fired a shot into the left side from 10 yards out.  Ball State added another goal in the 66th minute before Miller closed out the scoring as time expired.  

The Golden Flashes outshot the Cardinals 27-9, but penalty corners stood even at 7-7.

Ohio 2, Miami 1 (OT)
ATHENS, Ohio - The Miami field hockey team dropped a 2-1 overtime heartbreaker to the Ohio Bobcats Saturday afternoon in the Mid-American Conference opener for both teams. The RedHawks fall to 5-3 overall, while Ohio improves to 5-5.

As is usually the case when these two rivals meet, defense was the story of the game. The first half was scoreless with Miami outshooting the Bobcats, 4-3. The RedHawks best chance to score came off a penalty corner in the 28th minute. A penalty corner by Kate Snyder was shot on net by junior Amanda Seeley, but the Ohio goalkeeper was able to make the save.

The second half was more of the same as Miami was able to manage only four more shots, while the Bobcats were only able to shoot five. In the 66th minute, the RedHawks finally broke through when Olivia Miller was able to put the rebound of a Christine Brightwell shot into the back of the net. The lead would only last for 34 seconds as Ohio was able to answer with a goal of its own to send the game to overtime.

Overtime in field hockey is played seven-on-seven. Miami goalkeeper Sarah Mueller came up big early with a save on the Bobcat's Taylor Brown, but in the 77th minute Cathryn Altdoerffer was able to put the game-winning goal home for Ohio from about five yards out.

After three straight one goal defeats due to late scores from the opposition, head coach Jill Reeve wants the team to recognize the importance of finishing a game strong.

"The lesson is going to keep coming upon us until we learn to have composure at the end of the game," said Reeve. "I thought some players played outstanding games, but then we had some leaders not play well. You can't win games unless we are all playing hard and playing together."

Miller led the RedHawks with two shots on goal. Mueller made five saves in net. Ohio out shot Miami, 11-8, in the game.

The RedHawks return to action Sunday when they travel to Kent State for a 1 p.m. contest.

New Hampshire 4, Central Michigan 1
MOUNT PLEASANT - The Central Michigan women's field hockey team fell at the CMU Field Hockey Complex to the New Hampshire Wildcats Saturday, 4-1.

"Our effort was good today," head coach Cristy Freese said. "We had more offense in the second half and the quality of that is something we have to work on. I liked the energy of our players in today's game."

The Wildcats would take the lead in the 24th minute of the game after Kyle Lyons put a shot over the head of junior goalkeeper Anastasia Netto on a penalty stroke.

Netto would make five saves in the first half on nine New Hampshire shots to preserve the deficit at one goal.

New Hampshire would add their second goal of the game in the 37th minute when Whitney Frates scored off an assist from Kara Connolly, giving UNH a 2-0 lead.

Sophomore Erin Dye, who fired five shots on goal during the match, scored her first goal of the season in the 42nd minute. After head coach Cristy Freese called a timeout and moved Dye to forward, freshman Bailey McKeon found Dye in the circle on a breakaway, who fired a shot past the UNH goalkeeper to cut the deficit to 2-1.

CMU's offense was much more aggressive in the second half, firing eight shots, six on goal, but were unable to mount a comeback.

UNH added two more goals in the 49th and 61st minutes. Tori Welch assisted on Kara Connolly's fifth goal of the season, before assisting on Frates second goal of the game for the fourth and final goal of the match.

Netto finished the match with seven saves in 62 minutes, taking the loss and dropping her record to 2-3 on the season.

CMU finished the match with 10 shots to UNH's 17, and four penalty corners to UNH's 12.

The Chippewas will be back in action Sunday afternoon when they host the Iowa Hawkeyes at 12 noon at the CMU Field Hockey Complex.