Central Michigan Defeats Ball State, 3-1 In MAC Field Hockey Tournament Action

Updated 11/5/2009

Head Coach Christy Freese Post Game Interview

Story Courtesy of Central Michigan Media Relations

MUNCIE, Ind. - Kelly Jordan scored two first-half goals to lead the Central Michigan field hockey team to a 3-1 victory over host Ball State in the Mid-American Conference Tournament quarterfinals on Thursday.

The win sends the Chippewas (8-12, 4-6 Mid-American) to the semifinal round, where they will play MAC co-champion Ohio at noon on Friday.

CMU dominated the first half of play, outshooting BSU, 8-0, and owning a 5-1 advantage in penalty corners.

The Chippewas opened the scoring in the 25th minute Erin Dye's crossing feed found Jordan, who tallied her career-high 12th goal of the year.

Central went up, 2-0, a minute and a half later when Dye put the ball in the net off a scramble in front of the goal. The tally is the freshman's fifth of the year. Lizl Gericke assisted on the play.

Jordan gave the Maroon and Gold a commanding three-goal lead with 1:13 remaining in the opening frame when her shot off a penalty corner found the back of the net. Pam Seufert and Kim Erasmus each garnered assists as Central took a 3-0 lead into halftime.

"We came out very strong in the first half offensively," head coach Cristy Freese said. "We made some adjustments with our penalty corner and executed it very well."

The Cardinals drew within two goals in the 43rd minute when Brittany Hammer found a loose ball off a scramble in front of the net. Ball State picked things up in the second half, outshooting Central 10-8 in the final 35 minutes, but was unable to get any closer.

"I give Ball State a lot of credit," Freese said. "They had nothing to lose and made it difficult on us in the second half. That goal lifted them and we had to deal with pressure. We managed to change the momentum as the second half wore on. I think it is good that we had to deal with that pressure today because that's the kind of pressure that everyone faces in the tournament."

The Chippewas owned a 16-10 edge in shots along with a 10-5 advantage in penalty corners.

Melinda Curran got the start and stopped four of five shots. The goal she allowed was the first she yielded since Oct. 25, a span of three matches.