Sunday's Women's Soccer Results

Updated 8/31/2009
Sunday's Women's Soccer Results
Long Island 1, Buffalo 0
Eastern Michigan 2, Indiana State 1
Toledo 1, Loyola-Chicago 0
Indiana 1, Central Michigan 0
Florida Atlantic 3, Ball State 0
Michigan State 4, Bowling Green 0
Wyoming 1, Western Michigan 0
Southeast Missouri State 1, Northern Illinois 0

Stories courtesy of MAC Sports Information Departments

Long Island 1, Buffalo 0
BROOKLYN, NY - The University at Buffalo women's soccer team dropped their second game of the weekend this afternoon, falling to Long Island, 1-0, in a double-overtime thriller at LIU Field. The game was scoreless for the first 100 minutes, but LIU put one past UB goalkeeper Amy Coron (Farmington, NY/Victor) just 57 second into the second overtime to clinch the Blackbird win.

The Blackbirds outshot the Bulls, 12-10, but the shots on goal were even, with both teams having five. Buffalo's first scoring opportunity came just three minutes into the match with a shot by Melissa Klein (North Bellmore, NY/Mepham). Martina Pettenuzzo (Arlington Heights, IL/Prospect) had two chances in the first half, but was unable to get by the Blackbird defense. Lindsey Bailey (Burlington, Ontario/Assumption) and Natasha Arana (Island Park, NY/West Hempstead) also had scoring chances in the first half with Buffalo outshooting LIU, 6-2. Freshmen Katie Kerr (Burlington, Ontario/Nelson) and Taylor Thompson (Waterloo, Ontario/Sir John A. MacDonald) each added a shot on goal for Buffalo. Bailey and Aubrey Stahl (Loveland, CO/Mountain View) each finished the weekend with a team high four shots, but the Bulls have yet to see a goal in their first three games of the season.

Jennifer Mihok (Schenectady, NY/Guilderland) had another solid game on defense, helping keep the Blackbirds scoreless for 100 minutes. Coron had five saves in the game.

The Bulls are back on the road next weekend with games at Central Connecticut State on Friday, September 4 and St. Bonaventure on Sunday, September 6. Both games are slated for 1 pm.

Eastern Michigan 2, Indiana State 1
YPSILANTI, Mich. - Amanda Marsh's header in the 89th-minute propelled the Eagles to a, 2-1, victory over Indiana State at Scicluna Field on Sunday, resulting in a sweep of a season-opening weekend at home and pushing their overall mark to 2-0 on the young season.

Eastern Michigan was resilient on Sunday afternoon, overcoming tired legs and responding after a late Sycamore goal in the second half.

"We just [had] to increase our quality," Head Coach Scott Hall said of his team's play in the first half. "We were making the right runs and the ideas were there. We [had] heavy legs still from Friday's game [in the rain], but I [thought] we could pick it up in the second half."

And they did exactly that, scoring twice with the game-winner coming in the final two minutes of regulation. Both teams struggled out of the gate, playing to a scoreless tie and managing just four shots apiece in the first half.

The second half was a completely different story, however. The Eagles put up 14 shots in the last frame, seven of which were put on goal. Paige Sheridan got things going for the Green and White with her one touch shot off a headed pass from Maggie Christensen in the 70th-minute. It came following a ricochet in the box off an Eagle corner kick.

Fifteen minutes later, the Sycamores responded. Seyma Erenli, tracked down a loose ball and chipped a shot in over the head of Eagle keeper, Maggie Manville, from about 20 yards out to tie the game at, 1-1.

It felt as if overtime would be quick to follow until EMU's Brandi Wood placed her throw in from the sideline six yards in front of the goal, giving Marsh the perfect opportunity to head in the game-winner and she took full advantage.

"Amanda Marsh did a fantastic job of getting forward on the other end of it and flicking anything towards the goal," Hall said. "She got what you would call a good, lucky goal."

Manville made three saves for the Eagles to get her first win of the year. Eastern Michigan will have a week off until next Sunday when they travel across town to take on the Wolverines of Michigan. The two teams played to a 2-2 draw at Scicluna Field last season. Kickoff is slated for 2 p.m. at the U-M Soccer Complex.

Toledo 1, Loyola-Chicago 0
CHICAGO, IL - Junior Erin Flynn scored the match's lone goal in the third minute as Toledo claimed a 1-0 victory against Loyola (IL) on Sunday afternoon at the Loyola Soccer Park. With the win, the Rockets improve to 2-0-1 on the season.

UT returns to action next Sunday, Sept. 6 when it hosts Butler at Scott Park. The opening whistle is slated for 1:00 p.m

Indiana 1, Central Michigan 0
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. - An early goal against and a few near misses kept the Central Michigan soccer team from its third straight victory in a 1-0 setback to Indiana on Sunday.

The loss drops the Chippewas to 2-1 this season.

The Hoosiers got on the board in the seventh minute when IU's Carly Samp sealed off a CMU defender in transition and buried a shot into the lower corner of the goal with her left foot.

The Indiana defense kept Central's attack at bay for most of the afternoon, but the Chippewas narrowly missed a pair of chances in the second half.

The ball came loose in the 18-yard box off a corner kick and Central appeared to have an opportunity up close, but an IU defender slid in to clear the ball away before anyone could take a shot.

CMU created another opportunity with under a minute remaining when Bailey Brandon's long throw-in got headed to Laura Twidle, but the ball could not be settled and the shot went wide with 41 seconds left.

"I give Indiana a lot of credit, the better team won today," head coach Tom Anagnost said. "At the time, we weren't tough enough, competitive enough or combative enough to win today."

Indiana finished with a 15-6 edge in shots while Central held a 4-0 advantage in corner kicks.

Shay Mannino made six saves, including several of the spectacular variety, on seven shots. The goal she allowed snapped her shutout streak of 186:40 to begin the season.

The Chippewas return to action on Thursday night when they face Michigan in Ann Arbor. Opening kickoff is at 7 p.m.

Florida Atlantic 3, Ball State 0
BOCA RATON, Fla. - The Ball State soccer team suffered its second straight loss in the Sunshine State as the Cardinals suffered a 3-0 defeat at Florida Atlantic Sunday afternoon. The loss drops BSU to 0-2-0 on the season while the Owls improve to 1-2-0 on the young campaign.

"This was a tough weekend for our team," head coach Michael Lovett said. "We came out strong once again but then fell into a rut midway through the first half and got into a hole. We made some adjustments in the second half on defense and played better. We played hard and had our chances offensively today. We hit the post, hit the cross bar but just couldn't find the back of the net and Florida Atlantic was able to do that, which was the difference in the game."

The two teams battled back and forth for much of the first half with both teams getting scoring opportunities. The Cardinals best chance came in the 13th minute off of a corner kick when freshman defender Brigit Reder (West Chester, Ohio/Lakota West) sent a header just over the cross bar.

Florida Atlantic opened the scoring in the 37th minute as Ashley Mannarino got behind the Cardinals' defense and beat senior goalkeeper Amy Cleeter (Aurora, Ind./South Dearborn) into the left corner. Mannarino was involved in the second goal in the 40th minute as she found Breanna Lewis with a pass inside the box for the 2-0 lead.

Coming out of the locker room at half time, Ball State regrouped but was stymied when FAU was awarded a penalty kick in the 48th minute that Mannarino converted for her second goal of the contest.

The Cardinals came within inches of finding the back of the net in the 80th minute as freshman forward Paige Stroinski (Granger, Ind./Penn) beat FAU goalkeeper Ashley Lantes but hit the post behind her. Lantes finished the game with five saves in the shutout while Cleeter posted six saves in the loss.

Ball State finished the contest tied with the Owls in shots at 19 apiece with junior forward Missy Gordon (Carmel, Ind./Marshall) leading the way with four shots. The loss evens the all-time series between the Cardinals and the Owls. Ball State claimed a 2-1 victory over Florida Atlantic in 2007 in the first ever meeting and trip to the state of Florida.

The Cardinals return to action Thursday evening as they take on instate rival Valparaiso in West Lafayette, Ind. Game time is set for 5:30 p.m. against the Crusaders. Last season, Ball State dropped a 1-0 decision at Valparaiso to open the year.

Michigan State 4, Bowling Green 0
Lauren Hill scored two goals in the first 19 minutes to help host Michigan State University to a 4-0 win over the Bowling Green State University women's soccer team Sunday afternoon (Aug. 30). The non-conference match was held at the DeMartin Soccer Complex.

With the win, the Spartans improve to 2-0 on the young season, while the Falcons drop to 1-2.

Cara Freeman and Laura Heyboer each had a goal and an assist for the Spartans, while Hannah Peterson was credited with two assists. Hill had an assist on Heyboer's goal.

Hill's first goal of the day came with just under six minutes elapsed. She scored again at the 18:29 mark, and Freeman's goal at 35:48 gave the Green and White a three-goal lead at halftime.

Heyboer, a 2008 NSCAA All-American and last year's's National Freshman of the Year, closed the scoring at 61:45.

For the home team, Jill Flietstra made three saves in net to pick up the shutout. BGSU freshman Laura Arnold played the first half, making three stops, while redshirt junior Alexa Arsenault played the final 45 minutes and made four saves.

MSU enjoyed a 22-3 advantage in shot attempts, including an 11-3 margin in shots on goal.

The Falcons will return to the state of Michigan on Friday (Sept. 4), taking on the University of Detroit Mercy in the Motor City. BG's next home game is two days later (Sunday, Sept. 6) vs. IPFW.

Wyoming 1, Western Michigan 0
LARAMIE, Wyo. -- Junior goalkeeper Julia Francy made 10 saves, but the Bronco offense was unable to net its first goal of the season as the Western Michigan women's soccer team fell to the Wyoming Cowgirls, 1-0, on Sunday afternoon.

WMU landed three of its 10 shots on goal, while Wyoming put 11 of its 15 on net. Freshman Anina Cicerone, Kelsey Carmichael and Patrice Impelido each had a shot saved by Wyoming goalkeeper Courtney Merkle.

"We had some momentum in the second half, but we couldn't finish our opportunities," said interim head coach Suzie Grech. "We have to play an entire 90 minute game, getting it going from the first minute on."

The lone goal of the game was netted by Wyoming's Carmen Blume in the 21st minute of the first half, with Emma Wilson picking up an assist on the game-winner.

"This is the second straight game we have given up an easily defendable goal," commented Grech. "It is a matter of putting together a total game performance."

Western Michigan continues its three-week long road stretch as it heads to Cedar Falls, Iowa, for the University of Northern Iowa Panther Invitational on Friday and Sunday. Friday evening the Broncos battle Eastern Illinois at 6 p.m., and on Sunday afternoon WMU plays the host Northern Iowa at 3 p.m.

Southeast Missouri State 1, Northern Illinois 0
DEKALB, Ill. - The Northern Illinois women's soccer team suffered its first loss of the season Sunday afternoon, as they came up short in a 1-0 loss to Southeast Misouri State. This weekend marked the beginning of the 2009 season for NIU who now holds a 1-1-0 record on the season.


The Redhawks' Hayley Abbott scored the lone goal of the game when she headed the ball into the Huskies' goal off a cornerkick from teammate Mabel Velarde. Tonight's goal was the second of the season for Abbott. Goalkeeper Kristen Starkey recorded 5 saves, preserving the win for the Redhawks.

Senior Micaela Damas led the Huskies with three shots in the match, as teammates Kelsey Passaglia, Annie Wyer, Kayra Thompson, and Sara McClard tallied one shot each for the Huskies. On defense, goalkeeper Lindsey Curnock recorded four saves for the Huskies, her seventh on the season.

"It was an extremely physical game," head coach Carrie Barker said. "SEMO is a very strong team, and we played them very tough and strong. It came down to who made a mistake in a set piece, and we ended up giving up a cornerkick that turned into a goal."

Despite the Huskies' effort, the Redhawks outshot NIU 11-7 on the game, and also recorded 7 cornerkicks to Northern Illinois' 3.

Today's game brings the all-time series between Northern Illinois and Southeast Missouri State to 1-1, overall. The Huskies will continue play on the road as they face Wisconsin Friday and Illinois State Sunday.