Friday's MAC Men's Soccer Results

Updated 9/11/2010
Friday's MAC Men's Soccer Results
Buffalo 1, Canisius 0
Western Michigan 5, Niagara 2
Oregon State 2, Northern Illinois 1
Florida Atlantic 1, Georgia State 1 (2OT)
Hartwick 2, Columbia 2 (2OT)

Game stories courtesy of MAC Media Relations Departments

Buffalo 1, Canisius 0
BUFFALO, NY - Returning to Western New York was all the University at Buffalo men's soccer team needed to get into the win column as the Bulls blanked crosstown rival Canisius, 1-0, on Friday afternoon at the Demske Sports Complex.

UB jumped on the scoreboard in the first half as freshman Ian Storan scored off a direct kick at 19:50. The free kick was set up when Canisius defender Philip Smithers was assessed a yellow card. 

The Bulls made the lead stand up as freshman goalkeeper Ryan Aubrey made his debut a memorable one. Aubrey made four saves in 90 minutes of action.

Both squads took 16 shots in the contest with winning the shots on goal battle, 6-4. Mike Unwin led the Bulls with five shots, three on goal, in 44 minutes on the pitch.

The Bulls (1-2) open the home schedule on Sunday, September 12 when they host Robert Morris at UB Stadium. Kickoff is slated for 1:00 pm.

Western Michigan 5, Niagara 2
KALAMAZOO, Mich.- Western Michigan (3-1-0) surged back with five second-half goals after trailing at halftime 1-0 to dispose of Niagara, 5-2, Friday afternoon at the WMU Soccer Complex. Sophomore Luis Lemus had two goals on the day, while Darren Jones, C.J. Brown and Joseph Beshara each had one.

Western Michigan conceded a goal on a free kick in the 23rd minute, but after a fiery halftime speech by head coach Stu Riddle came out looking like a different group in the second half. Although the Broncos eventually won by a handily margin, it could have been more, as three WMU goals were waved off due to offsides and another rang off the post.

"It was a remarkable performance from our young side," Riddle said. "I can't recall being in a game before when a team I have been involved with has scored five goals, hit the post and had three goals disallowed. We created a lot of good opportunities and looked very sharp going forward against a side that was Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference tournament runners-up last season."

Lemus wasted no time tying the game in the second half, scoring just 53 seconds into play. Kai Mendes lofted a ball into Oliver Mayer, who flicked it on, and Lemus buried the loose ball from the middle of the box.

Jones gave WMU a 2-1 advantage in the 53rd minute, firing a remarkable shot off a free kick. Awarded the kick following a hand ball outside the 18, Jones lasered a ball on angle around a six-man wall low in the right side. From there the Broncos really started rolling, and it wasn't long before they took a three-goal lead.

Lemus found the back of the net again in the 58th minute and Brown scored less than 30 seconds later to put the score at 4-1 in the Broncos' favor. On Lemus' second goal, Remi Sanderford hit a ball hard that came off the goalie's hands and Lemus finished the rebound. Brown then easily beat the keeper on the left side off of assists from Joel Del Toro and Mendes.

A take down in the box resulted in a penalty kick goal for Niagara in the 80th minute, cutting the deficit to 4-2, but Beshara made sure the game was settled with the Broncos' fifth goal minutes later. Shane Lyons found Beshara on the breakaway and the freshman forward put the ball away in the right corner.

Although Western Michigan out-shot Niagara in the first half, the Broncos largely played to the hand of the Purple Eagles. The visiting team tested WMU goalie Mike Sweers directly after kickoff, forcing Sweers to punch a ball over the top. What appeared to be a lack of defensive communication led to a ball bouncing in for Niagara's goal midway through the first half.

Western Michigan had seemingly took the lead just past the 13-minute mark but an offsides whistle waved the goal off. In the second half flurry of goal scoring, the Broncos had two more goals called back. Its first ever meeting with Niagara (0-2-0), WMU held the upper hand on shots for the game, 22-3, and placed 12 on goal.

The Broncos will look to take two wins out of this weekend, returning to the WMU Soccer Complex Sunday to host IPFW at 3 p.m.

Oregon State 2, Northern Illinois 1
DEKALB, Ill. - The Northern Illinois men's soccer team led visiting Oregon State for more than 50 minutes during the Huskies' opener of the NIU adidas/Magnuson Inn Invitational Friday, but gave up two second half goals in a three-minute span, eventually dropping a hard-fought 2-1 decision at the NIU Soccer & Track and Field Complex.    

Junior midfielder Johnny Tyma gave the Huskies a 1-0 lead just shy of the 15th minute (14:57), capitalizing on a cross from senior Kyle Knotek, and NIU (0-1-2) held that advantage until the 66th minute, when the Beavers' Roberto Farfan scored on an unassisted strike.  Three minutes later (69:03), OSU's (3-0-0) Brian Ramsey headed Farfan's feed into the top right corner of the goal, handing the Beavers the game-winning tally. 

The Huskies decisively out-shot the Beavers (11-8), and tallied nine corner kicks, to Oregon State's three.  The Beavers were whistled for 13 fouls, four more than NIU, but the Huskies were tagged with four yellow cards in the game.   

"I thought we played a pretty good soccer game, and for a good majority of the time, we played like the better team today," said NIU head coach Eric Luzzi.  "But the only thing that matters at the end of the day is the score, and we came up short. 

"It's disappointing, because you want to win every game, and you want to win all of your home games.  We've got some work to do; our work rate is not hard enough right now, and our mental toughness and will is not where it needs to be.  Those are unique characteristics of our team, and they need to get better for us to accomplish our goals."

Physical play dominated the game, as a combined six yellow cards were given out.  The Huskies also had several scoring chances down the stretch - Finn Jor and Francis Otira each forced Oregon State goalkeeper Steve Spangler into tough saves in the final two minutes.  NIU had two corner kicks in the final 90 seconds of the contest.

The game marked a homecoming for Beavers' head coach Steve Simmons, who led the Huskies to the 2006 Mid-American Conference championship.  Luzzi served as Simmons' top assistant coach for three seasons before taking over the head coaching duties upon Simmons accepting the Oregon State post prior to last season.  NIU shut out the Beavers (2-0) in Corvallis, Ore., last season.

NIU will wrap up competition in the NIU adidas Magnuson Inn Invitational Sunday, when the Huskies take on Cleveland State beginning at 1:30 p.m.

Florida Atlantic 1, Georgia State 1 (2OT)
BOCA RATON, FL - The Florida Atlantic University men's soccer team erased a 1-0 halftime deficit but could not find a winner in a 1-1 draw against Georgia State on Friday night at the FAU Soccer Stadium. 

"It was a hard fought game," said head coach Kos Donev.  "I was impressed by our boys coming back and getting the equalizing goal."

Michael Nwiloh put the Panthers (1-0-2) in front in the first half with a 19th minute goal that beat keeper James McCormick past the right post.  McCormick started in place of Jeremy Crumpton who had to sit out the game with a red card.    McCormick was solid after allowing the early goal and made three saves in the match. 

The Owls (0-2-1) regrouped at halftime and were able to even the game when Lukas Simons tallied his first collegiate goal in the 63rd minute with a vicious strike inside the right post. 

As the game moved closer to extra time, FAU had a golden opportunity to pull in front when Georgia State tackled an Owl attacking player in the box leading to a penalty kick. 

Rocco Pecora took the shot for FAU but was unable to beat Georgia State keeper Vincent Foermer. 

In extra time, both teams had opportunities but neither team could capitalize as the game stayed scoreless after two overtime periods.  Georgia State outshot FAU 6-3 in extra time.

Hartwick 2, Columbia 2 (2OT)
ONEONTA, NY - The Hawks led 2-0 at halftime but a second half comeback from the Columbia Lions secured a 2-2 draw in a wild men's soccer match at Elmore Field in the opening round of the Mayor's Cup. Both teams are now 0-2-1 on the season.

Hartwick dominated the first 45 minutes of action, out-shooting the Lions by a 9-2 margin. 'Wick forged ahead in the 19th minute to the delight of a raucous crowd as senior back Carson Pryde (Calgary, Alberta/Lord Beaverbrook) played a long ball into the Lion box on the right side of the goal. Junior Dan Summers (Banstead, England/Sutton Grammar) collected the ball and rifled a far-post shot past Columbia goalkeeper Alex Aurrichio for a 1-0 lead. It marks the third straight game Summers has found the net for the Hawks.

'Wick continued to maintain pressure on the Columbia defense and it extended the lead with just over a minute to play before the intermission. Hartwick had the ball pinned deep in the Lion end before it popped out to senior Michael Cunningham (Dunedin, New Zealand/John McGlasham) who unleashed a one-timed bomb from 25 yards away for a two-goal cushion.

Two minutes into the second half, the Lions cut the deficit in half as Hartwick was whistled for a foul inside its own box. Ronnie Shaban took the spot kick and delivered a low shot to the left side of goal that had Hartwick keeper Jake Wright (Los Angeles, CA/Cal State Northridge) guessing the wrong way to make the score 2-1.

The Hawks missed a golden opportunity in the 59th minute as Aurrichio hauled down 'Wick freshman Tim Crawford (Webster, NY/Webster Thomas) in the box resulting in a Hawk penalty kick. Cunningham's effort from the spot, however, was right at Aurrichio who made the save and kept the Lions within striking distance.

Thirteen minutes later the game was tied as Henning Sauerbier got the ball to Nick Scott who dribbled through a trio of Hartwick defenders into the box and slipped the ball past Wright to the far side.

Hartwick was unlucky not to get the go-ahead goal in the 75th minute. Evan Doan's (Garland, TX/North Garland) glancing header off a cross from the right side of goal deflected off the post, denying the senior forward his first tally of the year.

The game went to overtime and both squads had ample chances to grab the victory. In the first 10-minute extra session, Mike Mazzullo and Francois Anderson registered shots on the Hartwick goal but Wright turned aside both efforts. With under two minutes left, Summers sent a screamer just wide of the right post.

With two and a half minutes remaining in the second overtime, Columbia came close to the win. Henning Sauerbier found himself 12 yards out with the ball and his shot beat Wright, but was cleared off the line by a Hartwick defender. Seconds later after a scramble in front, Bayo Adafin had another opportunity but his shot was blocked. The Hawks had the last chance of the match as Matt Robertson (Banchory, Scotland/Binghamton) put a shot on goal from the top of the 18 with 15 seconds left, but Aurrichio was right there to make his eighth save of the night.

The Hawks, who now have been unable to hold two-goal leads in their last two matches, ended the game with a 16-14 edge in shots. They also earned eight corner kicks to the Lions' four. Wright ended the game with two stops in the Hartwick net.

In the tournament opener, former Hartwick midfielder Nick Roydhouse scored on a direct kick from 22 yards out 5:32 into the first overtime as Syracuse snatched a 1-0 win from Northeastern. The Huskies dominated the contest with a 17-3 advantage in shots in the game but were unable to solve Orange goalkeepers Ryan Jones and Jeremy Vuolo. The duo combined for five saves in the win. Husky goalie Oliver Blum did not make a save in the contest.

Columbia is back in action on Sunday at 12 against Syracuse. Hartwick hosts Northeastern at 2:30 p.m.