Sunday's MAC Women's Soccer Results

Updated 9/6/2010
Sunday's MAC Women's Soccer Results
Miami (FL) 2, Kent State 0
St. Bonaventure 3, Bowling Green 0
Cincinnati 1, Western Michigan 0
Ball State 3, Southeast Missouri State 2 (2OT)
Loyola 1, Northern Illinois 0
DePaul 3, Miami 2
Ohio State 3, Akron 0

Game stories courtesy of MAC Media Relations Departments

Miami (FL) 2, Kent State 0
FORT MYERS, Fla. - The Kent State women's soccer team (1-2-1) was out-shot 12-2 in the second half after a strong showing in the game's first stanza as the Golden Flashes lost to Miami (Fla.), 2-0, Sunday morning in the second day of action at the Embassy Suites Kick-Off Classic, hosted by FGCU.

Miami (3-2-1) scored a pair of goals in the second half to capture the win, as the Hurricanes posted a 18-5 shots advantage in the contest. Miami tallied goals in the 51st and 67th minutes.

Kent State had the game's first opportunity in the 2nd minute, when senior Kelly Heaton (Mississauga, Ontario) fed classmate Kellyn Flanagan (Medina, Ohio) behind the defense. Flanagan's shot was on frame until a Miami defender poked it over the end line.

Kent State had another quality chance midway through the first half when Sara Henderson (Strongsville, Ohio) checked into the contest. As soon as Henderson entered the game in the 27th minute, the sophomore gathered a loose ball in the Miami defensive third and fed Heaton on the left. Heaton cracked a shot from 20 yards, forcing a big save by Miami goalkeeper Vikki Alonzo.

Miami had six shots in the first half, but a timely stop by KSU defender Katherine Lawrence (Ajax, Ontario) in the 34th minute preserved the clean slate in the first half.

But Miami came out of the intermission quickly, and tallied the first goal of the contest in the 51st minute. The Hurricanes pressed, creating a trio of opportunities before Brittney Macdonald cracked the Kent State defense on a corner kick.

The Hurricanes added a second goal in the 67th minute when Miami served the ball in from the right sideline, got a quick touch at the far post to set up Kate Howarth from close range to finish on the left side.

Kent State returns to action Sunday, Sept. 12 when the Golden Flashes visit Pitt for a 4 p.m. start.

St. Bonaventure 3, Bowling Green 0
BOWLING GREEN, Ohio - It was a rough day for the Bowling Green State University women's soccer team, as host Saint Bonaventure University pinned a 3-0 defeat on the Falcons Sunday afternoon (Sept. 5).  The non-conference match was held at McGraw-Jennings Field on the SBU campus.

With the win, the Bonnies improve to 1-3-0 on the year, while dropping the Falcons to 0-4-1.

The Falcons looked to have gotten on the scoreboard first, but saw the goal disallowed.  Junior Megan Amann took a free kick from the right side of the field, just outside the 18-yard box.  Amann's kick was hard, low and toward the corner, and SBU goalkeeper Nicole Markert made a diving stop.  Markert could not grab the ball, however, and redshirt freshman Jenny Fowler was lurking on the doorstep to deposit the ball in the back of the net.  But, the play was whistled offside with just under seven minutes gone.

Two minutes later, the Bonnies were on the scoreboard, as Courtney Hoenicke's long shot found the upper-left-hand corner of the net.  The shot, which came from approximately 40 yards out, gave the Bonnies the lead for good with 8:50 elapsed.

Midway through the period, some hard work and perseverance by Amann saw the junior keep possession of the ball, beat several defenders on the left side of the field and slide a ball across the six-yard line.  A defender got a toe on the ball, but it caromed to sophomore Sarah VonderBrink.  VonderBrink hit a hard shot, but a Bona defender was able to block it.

Early in the second half, the hosts nearly took a two-goal lead, as Falcon sophomore GK Laura Arnold was caught out of her net after trying to reach a 50-50 ball.  Arnold scrambled back into position in time to save a shot by Emily Buccilla.

With eight minutes gone in the second period, freshman Madeline Wideman's corner kick found the head of junior Alyssa Zuccaro in the box.  Zuccaro headed the ball toward goal, and junior Katelyn Turner also got a head on it, but the ball caromed over the goal.

Three minutes later, Wideman's second and third efforts enabled her to take the ball past several SBU defenders and cross it through the box.  But, n o teammate could get on the receiving end of the cross in time to get a shot off.

With 28-and-a-half minutes left in the period, the Bonnies doubled the lead.  Anna Cunningham played a right-side cross to Tori Burchett.  Burchett took one touch to put the ball past a defender, then fired a low shot that found the corner of the net for a two-goal margin.

The Falcons had several long-range shots in the next few minutes, but Markert was able to gobble them up.

The score stayed the same until just over six minutes remained.  Cunningham got a head (or perhaps a face) on the other end of a left-side cross from Hannah Lapp, redirecting it into the lower left corner of the net to close the scoring.

The Falcons looked to spoil the shutout bid in the late going, as Wideman worked to win the ball and find VonderBrink deep in the SBU end.  VonderBrink hit a low shot that went wide of the far post with 90 seconds remaining, and the hosts were able to preserve the shutout.

St. Bonaventure had a 19-12 advantage in total shot attempts, and the Bonnies had 10 shots on goal to the Falcons' three.  Markert had three saves to earn the shutout.  At the other end, Arnold made seven saves in her complete-match effort.

The Falcons now return home for the next three matches, beginning with a Friday (Sept. 10) contest against the University of Minnesota.  Kickoff is scheduled for 5:00 p.m. at BGSU's Cochrane Field.

Cincinnati 1, Western Michigan 0
CINCINNATI, Ohio -- A short-handed Western Michigan women's soccer team fell to No. 19 Cincinnati, 1-0, on the road at Gettler Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

WMU's Nicole Dulyea was handed a red card and sent off in the 57th minute after the Broncos and Bearcats battled to a 0-0 tie after the first half. Cincinnati's Julie Morrissey scored the game's lone goal in the 81st minute with Kelli Pawelko picking up the assist on the game-winner.

WMU goalkeeper Julia Francy made five saves on the day, with four coming in the first half. The Broncos fired off six shots but only landed one on goal, with Stephanie Skowneski responsible for three of the six.

Western Michigan ends its four-game road trip at IUPUI on Friday for a 7 p.m. game before hosting Northern Iowa on Sunday at noon.

Ball State 3, Southeast Missouri State 2 (2OT)
CAPE GIRARDEAU, Mo. - The Ball State soccer team matched its win total from last season Sunday afternoon as the Cardinals improved to 4-2-0 on the year with a 3-2 double overtime victory at Southeast Missouri State as Houck Stadium.

Redshirt sophomore Sarah Orisich (Columbus, Ind./Columbus North) scored her first career goal in the 103rd minute of play to lead the Cardinals to victory. The victory snapped a nine-game home unbeaten streak for Southeast Missouri dating back to last season.

"I am really proud of our team's performance today," first-year head coach Craig Roberts said. "We showed a lot of courage and determination in the face of adversity this weekend. Today's outcome showed our strong character and belief in what we can do as a team. We stepped up today on the road in double overtime and rose to the occasion."

Ball State controlled play for most of the game as it held a commanding 26-15 advantage in shots and a 6-1 edge in corner kicks. Despite the strong stats, Southeast Missouri opened the scoring first in the 23rd minute of play. Ashley Runion scored on a header in the box past freshman goalkeeper Layne Schramm (The Colony, Texas/The Colony).

The Cardinals responded to the early adversity less than 10 minutes later as they tied the game in the 32nd minute of play. Sophomore Maggie Brown (West Chester, Ohio/Lakota West) scored the equalizer as she ripped a shot from outside the 18-yard box into the top corner past SEMO goalkeeper Ashton Aubuchon for her first goal of the year.

Ball State took its first lead of the afternoon just before halftime in the 40th minute of play. Brown was involved once again as she found classmate Amanda Dreyfus (Grove City, Ohio/Grove City) open in the box. Dreyfus took the pass and dribbled into space before ripping a shot past Aubuchon for the 2-1 Ball State lead and her first career goal.

Southeast Missouri (3-1-0) kept battling despite the Cardinals' advantage in shots and tied the game in the 76th minute of play. Stephanie Palmer scored her second goal of the season as she got a shot off from 10-yards out that eluded sophomore goalkeeper Aubrey Buehler (Waukesha, Wis./UT-Martin) to knot the game at 2-2.

The teams remained deadlocked through the remainder of regulation and the entire first overtime. The Cardinals kept the pressure on SEMO and their aggressiveness paid off in the 103rd minute of play as they were awarded a corner kick. The initial kick was sent into the box and was partially cleared by the Redhawks. Orisich corralled the loose ball just inside the 18-yard box and dribbled in before letting loose on a shot that was deflected into the goal for her first career tally and the 3-2 Ball State victory.

Senior midfielder Missy Gordon (Carmel, Ind./Marshall) was an offensive catalyst as she tallied a game-high seven shots in the victory. Buehler picked up the win for BSU in goal as she made one save in 57:21 minutes of action. Aubuchon got the loss for SEMO despite recording six saves.

The victory marks the Cardinals' fourth of the season through the first six games and matches last season's win total (4-13-1). The Cardinals are also off to their best start through six games since 2005 when BSU opened the year 5-1-0.

Ball State returns to action Friday evening as it takes on Western Kentucky on the road. Game time is set for 6 p.m. (CT) in Bowling Green, Ky.

Loyola (Chicago) 1, Northern Illinois 0
CHICAGO - In the last of three straight road games, the Northern Illinois women's soccer team dropped a 1-0 decision to Loyola, Sunday.

The Ramblers picked up their first win of the season, improving to 1-5-0. The Huskies fell to 2-2-0, with alternating wins and losses since opening the season with a 1-0 victory against Creighton.

"We came out a little tentative," head coach Carrie Barker said. "We just didn't play the way we normally play in the first half. We came out in the second half and did a much better job."

Loyola's Kristin Papierski scored the game-winning goal in the 23rd minute, with assists from Tessa Daniels and Amelia Ambrose.

"We didn't transition quickly enough and they capitalized on that," Barker said of the goal.

The Huskies were outshot 13-6, but Loyola's goal was its only shot on target. Barker noted that while NIU didn't take a multitude of shots, her team put itself in areas that were potentially threatening.

"We had some opportunities and situations that could have been really good," Barker said.

Northern Illinois returns home, Sept. 10 to host Illinois State at 2:30 p.m. The match is the front-end of a Huskie soccer double-header that will feature the NIU men's team playing Oregon State at 5 p.m.

DePaul 3, Miami 2
CHICAGO--A goal in the 85th minute handed Miami University's women's soccer team its second straight loss as the RedHawks (3-2-0) were edged Sunday afternoon by DePaul University (3-2-1), 3-2, at Wish Field.

After nearly 30 scoreless minutes, Miami struck first when freshman Katy Dolesh (South Euclid, Ohio) scored her first goal of the season from 10 yards out off an assist by senior Julie Thompson (Glenview, Ill.) to give the RedHawks a 1-0 advantage at the 29:55 mark.

The lead was short lived as the Blue Demons evened the score, 1-1, when Callie Hemming punched in a shot from the middle of the box on a pass from Alyssa Wray at 37:35. Just over 10 minutes into the second half, DePaul tallied its second goal. Rebekah Roller scored off a corner kick to give the Blue Demons a 2-1 lead at the 56:10 mark.

Much like the goal scoring in the first half, it did not take Miami long to retaliate. A little over four minutes later, sophomore Jess Kodiak (Naperville, Ill.) tallied her third goal of the season at 61:54, scoring an empty netter with the goalie out of position to even the score, 2-2.

It was 25 minutes before the deadlock was broken when Tara Strickland scored the game-winner at 85:17, her first goal of the season, from 20 yards out off a feed from Ashleigh Goddard.

DePaul took 16 shots to Miami's seven, however, six of the RedHawks' shots were on goal. The Blue Demons had eight shots on goal for the game.

Miami finishes its six-game road stretch at the East Tennessee State Tournament next weekend. The RedHawks face Winthrop at 4:30 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 10 before facing Temple at 1 p.m. on Sunday, Sept. 12.

Ohio State 3, Akron 0
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The University of Akron women's soccer team evened its record on Sunday, falling 3-0 to Ohio State at Jesse Owens Stadium on the OSU campus.

The Zips (2-2-0) trailed 1-0 at halftime, but the Buckeyes (4-1-1) widen the gap with another score in the opening minutes of the second period and notched an insurance goal in the 71st minute.

Akron called on the services of 20 players. Sophomore Ashley Hughes led the squad with two shots, while junior goalkeeper Jeny Wolbert made six saves.

"I was disappointed in how we came to play," Akron head coach Chris Pfau said. "Not about the score, but that we still are tentative to just play. We are much better off at this time than we were last year, but we still have some work to do."

Sunday marked the start of a six-match road swing for UA, which travels to Pittsburgh on Sept. 10.