Monday's MAC Men's Soccer Results

Updated 9/7/2010

Monday's MAC Men's Soccer Results
Central Florida 4, Florida Atlantic 0
Cornell 3, Hartwick 2

Game stories courtesy of MAC Media Relations Departments

Central Florida 4, Florida Atlantic 0
ORLANDO, FL - The Florida Atlantic University men's soccer team allowed three second-half goals in a 4-0 loss to UCF on Labor Day in Orlando. 

The Owls (0-2) battled UCF for the majority of the first half before allowing an unassisted goal in the 35th minute off the foot of Warren Creavalle.

The Knights (2-0) quickly doubled their after halftime with a 47th minute goal by Nicholas Keown-Robson.  Robson struck again in the 82nd minute to put UCF ahead 3-0.

For FAU, five played tallied one shot including junior Darnell King who has scored the only goal for the Owls so far this season.

Dominic Cutrofello, Benny Barshai, Trevor Pluskota and Vincent DiBullo were the other Owls who recorded shots in the game.

The Owls will be back in action on Friday when they host Georgia State in Boca Raton at 7 p.m. It will be the home opener for FAU.

Cornell 3, Hartwick 2
ITHACA, NY - Hartwick was less than 13 minutes away from its first victory of the season on Monday night against Cornell, but a furious Bid Red comeback in the late stages of the game handed the hosts a 3-2 victory in a match played at Charles F. Berman . The Hawks scored two second-half goals and held a 2-0 lead until Cornell tallied on three straight shots in less than four minutes for the win. The Big Red improves to 1-1 on the year with the victory. Hartwick slips to 0-2.

The Hawks and Big Red played to a goalless draw after the opening 45 minutes of play. Cornell held a 7-2 edge in shots and four of the Big Red's seven first-half efforts were on frame and turned away by Hartwick keeper Jake Wright (Los Angeles, CA/Cal State Northridge). 

The second half was a different story as the Hawks limited Cornell's opportunities at goal and jumped in front with a quick tally. The Hawks opened the scoring 8:49 into the second stanza as Cornell was whistled for a foul in its own 18-yard box resulting in a Hawk penalty kick. Junior forward Dan Summers (Banstead, England/Sutton Grammar) took the spot kick but was denied by Big Red keeper Rock Pflasterer. Luckily for 'Wick, Summers pounced on the rebound and put the Blue and White ahead 1-0. It marked his second goal in as many games and the 11th of his career.

Sixteen minutes later, Steven Amaya (Oakland Gardens, NY/Martin Luther King) added to the Hartwick lead as he finished off a bouncing ball in the Big Red 18-yard box for a two-goal edge. It was Amaya's seventh career goal in a 'Wick uniform. 

Cornell quickly rallied to erase its deficit with three goals in a 3:40 span to take the lead. Franck Onambele gave the Big Red their first tally as he headed in a long throw in from teammate Jimmy Lannon in the 77th minute. Seventy-nine seconds later the game was tied as Daniel Haber headed in a Craig Dimbleby cross. In the 80th minute the comeback was complete as Haber set up Will Ogden who finished from 15 yards out underneath Wright for a 3-2 Cornell lead. Neither team mustered a shot in the final 10 minutes of action.

The Big Red ended the match out-shooting the Hawks 11-8. Hartwick held a 6-1 edge in shots in the first 31 minutes of the second half before Cornell scored on the final three shots of the match.

The loss drops Hartwick's all-time record against Cornell to 30-14-3. The Hawks have now lost three straight matches to the Big Red dating back to 2007.

'Wick will look for its first win as the team hosts Columbia on Friday, Sept. 10th on Elmore at 7:30 p.m. in the Mayor's Cup.