Sunday's MAC Women's Soccer Results

Updated 10/12/2009
Stories courtesy of MAC Sports Information Departments

Buffalo 2, Northern Illinois 0
BUFFALO, NY - The University at Buffalo women's soccer team shutout Northern Illinois, 2-0, on Sunday afternoon, giving the team its second win of the weekend. Freshman Stephanie Velez scored both Buffalo goals as the Bulls improve to 3-10-1 (2-3-1 MAC).
Velez scored her first goal of the game at the 6:24 mark to give the Bulls an early lead. Capitalizing on a Northern Illinois foul, Angela Nicholas belted a free kick from about 30 yards out. Velez picked it up in front of the net, catching the NIU goalkeeper off guard to sneak in the goal. The remainder of the first half was evenly matched with UB taking the advantage in shots, 6-4. UB goalkeeper Amy Coron came up with a big save at the one minute mark of the half to keep the Bulls up one at the halftime break.

The second half started much like the first, with Velez netting an early goal. Less than a minute into the half, Velez took a short pass from Aubrey Stahl and broke away from the NIU defense. Velez beat the goalkeeper to notch her second goal of the game and third of the weekend at the 46:08 mark of the match.

"I knew it was going to come sooner or later and our team really needed this," said Velez, referring to UB's two wins this weekend. "This weekend just proves that we're not a bad team. Our results haven't been showing how our team actually plays. It's just a really great feeling to finally see some wins."

The Huskies had their chances, but were stopped short by the UB defense. Lauren Crawford blocked a shot from an NIU attacker that otherwise would have gone in to keep the Huskies scoreless. The backline of Jennifer Mihok, Nina Connell, Nicholas and Crawford helped Coron earn her second shutout of the season. Coron had eight saves in net and is now just eight saves away from breaking the all-time UB career record for most saves.

The Bulls will take a road trip next weekend, taking on Toledo on Friday, October 16 at 4pm, followed by a match up at Bowling Green on Sunday, October 18 at 1pm.

Akron 2, Bowling Green 1
The visiting University of Akron scored late in each half to hand the Bowling Green State University women's soccer team a 2-1 defeat Sunday afternoon (Oct. 11). The Mid-American Conference match was held at Cochrane Field.

With the win, the ZIps improve to 4-6-2 overall and 2-3-1 in MAC action, while the Falcons fall to 4-9-2 and 0-4-2, respectively.

Liz Cloutier knocked home what proved to be the winning goal with just 1:09 left in the second half, off of a scramble in the penalty box. BGSU senior Colleen Kordan had tied the score at 1-1 with only 4:34 remaining in regulation, converting a penalty kick.

Rachel Phillip had scored the first goal of the match, giving the Zips the lead with just 46 seconds remaining in the first half. Phillip's unassisted goal came after a defensive lapse deep in the Falcons' end of the field.

The Falcons held a 17-14 advantage in overall shot attempts, and BG had six shots on goal to the Zips' four on the afternoon.

BG's first shot of the game came 7:40 into the match, as junior Jackie Tamerlano fired a long shot that UA goalkeeper Jeny Wolbert was able to gather in.

Just over 10 minutes into the match, however, Wolbert mishandled a crossing ball by Falcon freshman Keely Chandler, allowing the ball to slip through her hands. An Akron defender, however, was first to the ball, and was able to clear it out of danger.

Only 30 seconds later, BG junior Katie Stephenson played a ball from approximately 20 yards out. Chandler, stationed in the center of the penalty box, approximately eight yards out, was able to redirect it on goal. Luckily for Wolbert, though, the shot was directly at her, and she was able to bat it in the air and catch the rebound.

Sixteen-and-a-half minutes into the contest, sophomore Megan Amann took a corner kick, with the ball finding the head of classmate Alyssa Zuccaro. 'Z' hit the ball squarely, and the shot had Wolbert beaten. But, it hit off the far post and went out of play.

The chances continued to come for the Brown and Orange. Kordan took a long free kick from in front of the Akron bench, and sailed the ball into the penalty area. It came to Stephenson, who hit a hard shot. But, the ball was deflected by a lunging UA defender, taking much of the steam off of the shot, and Wolbert gathered it in.

The Falcons had controlled possession for the bulk of the half, but the Zips got a grade-A scoring chance against the run of play. With 18 minutes on the clock, UA's Ashley Hughes had the ball near the top of the penalty area, but had three defenders between her and the goal. One of those Falcons deflected the ball away from Hughes, but it went right to Leigh Cullen. Cullen hit a long shot that went just wide of the right post.

A few minutes later, the Falcons had the ball back in the offensive end, as junior Alicia Almond's diagonal ball found sophomore Katelyn Turner in the box. Turner, marked closely by a defender, was able to settle the ball and slide it left to an onrushing Zuccaro. Zuccaro, however, was unable to get a shot, as she was knocked to the pitch, and UA was able to clear the ball away from goal.

Stephenson had another chance with just over 10 minutes left, getting a head on an Amann cross, but the ball went just high. A moment later, a potentially-dangerous giveaway by a BG defender on the touch line resulted in Hughes taking possession. She played a low centering ball, but a Falcon defender was able to knock it out of the box.

With six minutes left in the half, Turner's cross sailed into the area at the BG offensive end. A Zip player got a boot on it, but it popped up in the air toward the right side of the goal. Falcon senior Carolyn Nesline put a header on target, but Wolbert grabbed the shot to keep the match scoreless for the time being.

Less than four minutes remained when an Akron cross sailed past two Zip strikers in the box. Almond played the ball out of danger.

Just when it seemed the teams might head into halftime locked in a scoreless tie, the Zips got on the board out of nowhere. Kordan, tracking down the ball in her own end with a UA player in hot pursuit, played the ball back toward 'keeper Alexa Arsenault. Kordan attempted to head the ball to Arsenault, to enable the redshirt junior to use her hands on the play. But, the diving header attempt did not go as far as Kordan had hoped, and UA's Phillip got to the ball first.

Phillip poked the ball with her toe to keep it away from the diving Arsenault. Then, in the area near the scoreboard at the north end of the field, she was able to settle the ball, take a few dribbles and fire it into the far corner of the net. It was Akron's first shot on goal of the day, and it gave the visitors a one-nil lead at the intermission.

After BG had had the better of the play for much of the first half, it was Akron that seemed to have the upper hand at the start of the second period. Less than two minutes after halftime, Britni Back's shot was blocked, but Cullen followed up by rifling a shot from about 10 yards out that hit the crossbar. The ball bounded back into the field of play, where Arsenault grabbed it on a bounce.

Just that quickly, the Falcon 'keeper threw an outlet pass that began a BG rush. That play resulted in Nesline getting past a charging Wolbert to the touch line, but the Falcon senior's cross went through the box without a teammate getting to it.

Soon after, Amann fired high from close range after taking a teammate's cross.

With seven minutes gone, Akron's Kyra Petrole hit a cross that looked like trouble for the home team, but Arsenault was able to leap high and pull it in. Then, three minutes later, Back's corner kick -- the Zips' only CK of the day -- found the head of Hughes, but the shot sailed just high.

Midway through the period, Turner's right-side cross was on target, reaching sophomore Kelsey Kovacs near the 18-yard line. Kovacs took one dribble to her left to gain some space for herself, and uncorked a hard shot that went just over the bar.

Only 20 minutes remained when Back made a nifty run through several BG players and into the box. But, senior Kaitlin Kobe blocked Back's shot attempt near the 12-yard stripe, then cleared the ball out of the BG defensive end.

Back and the Zips threatened again only three minutes later. Back played a diagonal ball for Phillip, who whirled and fired a long turnaround shot. The half volley was struck with force, but was wide of the target.

With under seven minutes left in the game, Korden's shot off of a BG corner kick was blocked out of play for another corner. The ensuing CK sailed just over a maze of players from both sides.

With just under five minutes on the clock, Arsenaul came up with a save on a shot by Phillip, again beginning a BG counterattack. Only 20 seconds later, Amann was taken down as she attempted to beat her defender on the left side of the 18-yard box. A penalty kick was awarded.

And, Kordan stepped up and converted that PK, for her second goal of the season. With just 4:34 on the clock, the Falcons had tied the score.

With two-and-a-half minutes left, after an Akron foul approximately 30 yards out, Stephenson took the free kick and fired a shot that seemed to fool Wolbert for a moment. But, the UA 'keeper was able to leap and make the save just below the crossbar.

Then, with just over a minute left in the match, the Zips got what would prove to be the winning goal. UA played a ball into the box, where several players from both teams were stationed. Numerous players had a shot at the ball. In the scramble, the ball eventually came to Cloutier, who deposited it into the right side of the net.

The Falcons had one final shot, but could not get the equalizer in the remaining 69 seconds, and the Zips had the victory.

Wolbert made five saves to earn the win for the visitors, while Arsenault had two saves at the other end of the field. On the afternoon, the Falcons had eight corner kicks to the Zips' one.

BGSU's four-match homestand continues with a pair of contests next weekend. The Falcons will face Kent State in Friday (Oct. 16) action, before welcoming Buffalo to town next Sunday (Oct. 18). The UB match is the final regular-season home match for the Falcons.

Ohio 1, Toledo 0
TOLEDO, OH - Ohio's Cathryn Rogers registered the match's lone goal in the 48th minute to lift the visiting Bobcats to a 1-0 victory over Toledo on Sunday at Scott Park. With the loss, the Rockets fall to 7-5-2 overall and 3-2-1 in the Mid-American Conference.

Rogers took full advantage of a UT defensive lapse and scored the winning goal at 47:09 of the second period. The Rockets tried to clear the ball out of danger deep in their own territory, but a bad clearance put it right in the middle of the goal box. Following a skirmish for the loose ball, Ohio's Rogers came out with it and blasted a shot that Toledo sophomore goalie Vicki Traven had no chance of saving for the score.

"Games come down to making plays and our inability to clear the ball put us under pressure and Ohio made us pay," Toledo Head Coach Brad Evans said.

Rogers' goal proved to be enough for the Bobcats (6-5-2, 3-1-2 MAC), who finished the match with a 12-9 edge in shots. Senior Ali Leak paced the UT attack with three shots. Unfortunately for the three-time defending MAC tourney champs, they could not find the target and were shutout for the sixth time this season.

Today's match started off slow for both teams, before Ohio had the first scoring chance on a shot by Erin Schwenke at 19:12. Schwenke received a free kick from Remi Famodu deep in UT's third of the field, and she was able to maneuver herself in between a couple Toledo defenders and get a quick shot off. Much to the dismay of the Bobcats, Schwenke's shot by blocked and eventually cleared out of danger.

As the first period continued, the Rockets were presented with their first quality scoring opportunity on a long blast off the foot of senior Molly Cornwell at 27:19. The two-time MAC Player of the Year received a nice pass from senior Nora Jereb and proceeded to beat an Ohio defender down the left side. She then had a quick look at the goal before firing a shot that sailed just over the cross bar.

UT seemed to control the action in the waning moments of the opening period and had a good look at the goal just moments before the intermission. Sophomore Kristin Lynn raced past an Ohio defender down the right side and cut the ball back inside and beat another Bobcat to get a good look the net. She then launched a shot that sailed just over the cross bar at 44:04 to keep the teams deadlocked at the break.

To start the second half, the Bobcats took advantage of the UT defensive lapse and scored the match's lone goal.

Despite holding the lead, Ohio wanted more and nearly doubled its advantage at 58:41. Schwenke received a pass around the top of the UT goal box and made a nice move to her right to create some free space. She quickly fired a shot from about 18-yards out that UT's Traven made a nice save on to keep it a one-goal difference.

Toledo tried mightily down the stetch to tally the equalizer, but it was just not meant to be for the reigning MAC regular-season champs. Their best opportunity to score in the second period came off the foot of freshman Rachael Kravitz with 17:17 remaining. Kravitz won a ball in space and launched a left-footed shot that bounced off the cross bar and was cleared out of danger.

"Ohio is a good team and they played well today, but at the same time, we didn't create enough scoring opportunities for ourselves," Evans said.

UT's Traven played all 90 minutes between the posts and was credited with five saves.

For Ohio, netminder Jess MacLean stopped one shot in playing the whole match and helped snap a four-match losing skid to its in-state rival.

The Rockets will remain at home next weekend to battle Buffalo on Friday, Oct. 16 and Kent State on Sunday, Oct. 18. The opening whistle against the Bulls is slated for 4:00 p.m., while the contest vs. the Golden Flashes will begin at 1:00 p.m. Prior to the start of Sunday's match, UT will honor its five seniors (Molly Cornwell, Megan Ginley, Nora Jereb, Ali Leak and Heather Wesley), who will be appearing in their final regular season, weekend home match.

Eastern Michigan 2, Ball State 1
YPSILANTI, Mich. ( - In what seemed like a must-win in terms of league postseason positioning, the Eastern Michigan University women's soccer team downed Ball State University, 2-1, in Mid-American Conference play, using a pair of goals by senior Ashley Rodrigues at Scicluna Field Sunday, Oct. 11.

Rodrigues scored one in each half while the Eagles dominated control of the ball and out-shot the Cardinals 23-15 in the match. EMU pushed its record to 7-3-4 overall, 3-1-2 in MAC play. Eagle goalkeeper, Maggie Manville, made seven saves for her fourth win of the season, having a shutout streak of 273 consecutive minutes snapped in the process.

In the 38th minute, Eastern looked determined to score its first goal of the match as they locked the ball deep into Ball State territory. Katie Lozar headed one towards the goal with the keeper out of position, but Ball State's Amanda Dreyfus was standing on the goal line to head it out of harms way. The crowd gave a collective gasp as EMU was turned away on its best opportunity of the afternoon.

However, less than two minutes later, Rodrigues would score her first goal of the game. She took a neatly placed cross in the six-yard box from Paige Sheridan and one-touched it passed the keeper for the first score. The Eagles would take a 1-0 lead into halftime.

The second half was much of the same for Eastern Michigan. In the 68th minute, Sheridan saw an opening and took a hard shot with her right foot from the left side of the goal that Ball State keeper, Nicole Wood, was able to deflect, but Rodrigues was there to clean up the rebound.

It was the senior's team-leading sixth goal of the season, and for Sheridan, her team-leading fourth assist of the year. Less than five minutes after the Eagles took a 2-0 lead, the Cardinals responded with Missy Gordon taking a lead pass from Megan Ridley to spring the forward past the defense for a one-on-one opportunity with the keeper.

Gordon converted for her second goal of the season in the 73rd minute and made the game a lot more interesting in the final 17 minutes of action. The Eagle defense stepped up to deny Ball State of any more opportunities and sealed the win down the stretch.

The Green and White will play its next two conference matches on the road, traveling to Western Michigan Friday, Oct. 16 before heading southwest to take on Northern Illinois Sunday, Oct. 18.

Kickoff between the Eagles and Broncos is slated for 3 p.m. in Kalamazoo, Mich.

Central Michigan 1, Miami 0
MOUNT PLEASANT - The first-place Central Michigan women's soccer team needed just one goal to extend its Mid-American Conference lead with a 1-0 victory over Miami at the CMU Soccer Complex on Sunday afternoon.

The win is the Chippewas' (11-3, 6-0 Mid-American) ninth straight, all in shutout fashion. The nine consecutive shutouts ties the MAC record that Ohio set in 2004. CMU is 6-0 in MAC play for the first time in school history.

Both teams came out in a defensive mindset in the early going as neither squad recorded a shot until the fifth minute. The RedHawks had an early opportunity to grab the lead when Stephanie Laser had a good look from the right wing just inside the 18-yard box, but her shot whistled wide on the near side of the goal.

With Miami possessing the ball for long stretches in the first half, head coach Tom Anagnost went to his bench in the 23rd minute, calling on senior Amanda Waugh.

The move paid off in the 31st minute as Waugh fed a through ball to Chelsi Abbott who fired a shot that beat MU keeper Krista Pace off the far post and in from the left side of the box, giving the Maroon and Gold a 1-0 lead going into halftime.

The RedHawks threatened to tie the match in the opening moments of the second half as a dropped ball by Shay Mannino went right to Miami's leading scorer Sara Lund. Undeterred, Mannino recovered and grabbed the ball off of Lund's foot before she could get a shot off to keep CMU ahead.

Liesel Toth nearly tallied an insurance goal when she launched a free kick from about 30 yards out that was headed for the top corner until Pace knocked it away.

MU created another good opportunity to tie the contest with 28:37 to go when a crossing pass found Jodi Zwingelberg on the far side of the attacking box for a clean header that narrowly missed the CMU goal. The Chippewa defense only allowed one more shot attempt the rest of the way and grinded out the clock to extend its record shutout streak to 842:09.

"Today's match was very difficult," Anagnost said. "Our players were great today. They managed the game very well at the end and they showed leadership throughout the game. We weren't as dynamic offensively as we would've liked but we got better as the game went on. Defensively, we were very good and we shut out a good team today."

Central outshot Miami, 12-7, and owned a 4-1 advantage in corner kicks in the match. Mannino turned away all three shots she faced for her 21st career shutout and ninth this season.

The Chippewas return to action on Friday when they face Northern Illinois in DeKalb, Ill.

Western Michigan 2, Kent State 2 (2 ot)
KENT, Ohio - The Kent State women's soccer team (7-5-1, 3-2-1 MAC) proved Sunday afternoon that it has a panache for coming back, as the Golden Flashes recovered from a two-goal deficit against Western Michigan to post a 2-2 draw against the Broncos.

"I really like that we are capable of a lot of great things, and we are showing that in how we play at this point in the season," said head coach Rob Marinaro. "In the first half we got behind the eight ball, but to come back from two goals down... we have to take a lot of pride in that."

Similar to its 2-1 win over Northern Illinois Friday, Kent State upped the drama ante by scoring the game-tying goal in the waning moments of regulation. Junior Kelly Heaton (Mississauga, Ontario) found the back of the net in the 88th minute to force extra time for the Kent State's second straight outing, but neither team could convert in the final period. Heaton scored when she flipped a shot following a long throw-in by Megan Repas (Avon, Ohio) and a touch by Catharine Marosszeky (Aurora, Ontario).

Annie Messer (Dayton, Ohio) scored her first goal of the season early in the 51st minute to get Kent State on the board out of the halftime intermission. Messer's goal was courtesy of a 28-yard blast on the right side.

Western Michigan (5-6-2, 2-3-1 MAC) had a 2-0 lead in the 25th minute when Kelsey Carmichael was the benefactor of a takeover play on the left side by Caitlin Henderson and Megan Matula. Carmichael headed in Henderson's cross for the second goal of the half for the Broncos, as Nikolette Rivera's rebound shot in the 17th minute opened the game's scoring.

Kent State kept the Broncos under near constant barrage in the second half, out-shooting Western Michigan 11-2 in the stanza and 28-11 for the game. Marosszeky had seven shots, with many coming on multiple free kick opportunities. Western Michigan was whistled for 23 fouls, including 14 in the second half while Kent State pressed offensively.

The Flashes had multiple chances in the first half to get on the board, but the Broncos' Sarah Phillips kept the sheet clean. In the 32nd minute, Vanessa Salerno (Etobicoke, Ontario) had a diving header on a free kick, but Phillips' dive to save was just as spectacular. Then, in the 40th minute, L.A. Thoma (Alliance, Ohio) got behind the defense on the left side, but Phillips also gathered in her try.

As the second half progressed and with Kent State eager to find the equalizer, the Flashes' chances created fervor for the crowd despite the autumnal weather. In the 75th minute, Kellyn Flanagan (Medina, Ohio) had a shot skip just inches over the crossbar off a throw-in play at the near post, while Messer's 40-yard free kick in the 77th minute was denied by the far post.

Kent State had one last chance in regulation to score, but Messer's flicking shot from inside the goal box somehow sailed high.

The first overtime period provided chances for both teams, but neither could come to fruition. In the 95th minute, a Kent State miscue left goalkeeper Kelly Sherwood (Strongsville, Ohio) outside of her box. Western Michigan's Carmichael got the ball and had a look at an open goal, but her shot went wide right.

Then, in the 99th minute, Salerno broke through the Western Michigan back line on a serve by Repas. Western's Phillips slid out to stop the ball with her hands, but was unable to gather the ball cleanly. Unfortunately for Salerno, she couldn't apply the breaks and screeched by the ball, unable to get a shot.

In the second overtime session, Kent State's Flanagan was able to turn the corner on the left side and dribble in for a one-on-one with Phillips, but the Western Michigan goalkeeper made the last of her 12 saves.

On the other end, Sherwood made three saves on the day for Kent State.

Kent State is back in action Friday, Oct. 16 when the soccer team plays its Centennial Cup contest at Bowling Green. Kickoff is slated for 3 p.m.