Sunday's MAC Women's Soccer Results

Updated 9/12/2010
Sunday's MAC Women's Soccer Results
Robert Morris 3, Buffalo 1
Western Michigan 5, Northern Iowa 0
Bowling Green 2, Cleveland State 1
Toledo 0, Minnesota 0 (2OT)
Miami 2, Temple 1
Northwestern 3, Eastern Michigan 1
Kent State 1, Pittsburgh 1 (2OT)

Game stories courtesy of MAC Media Relations Departments

Robert Morris 3, Buffalo 1
NIAGARA, NY - The Bulls offense peppered the Robert Morris goalkeeper with seven shots but only came away with a single score to drop its second game of the weekend, a 3-1 loss to the Colonials. Freshman Megan Abman was the only Bull to find the back of the net.

The team took 11 shots total for the game, with all seven of the shots on goal coming from different players. Two RMU goals in the first ten minutes put Buffalo on its heels, and the offense managed to respond with a goal from Abman in the 32nd minute, her second of the season.

Senior Lindsey Bailey crossed the ball in from the right side and the Denver native finished it off with a flick to the far post to bring the Bulls within one, 2-1. That score remained until late in the second half, when a third Robert Morris goal came off a rebound to put the game out of reach.

The loss puts Buffalo at 1-5 for the season, with its next match coming up Friday at the Big Four Tournament, hosted by St. Bonaventure. The Bulls will face local rivals Canisius and Niagara on Friday and Sunday, respectively.

Western Michigan 5, Northern Iowa 0
KALAMAZOO, Mich. -- Five different Broncos scored as the Western Michigan women's soccer team crushed Northern Iowa, 5-0, at the WMU Soccer Complex on Sunday afternoon.

The win broke a four-game losing streak and improved WMU's record at home to 2-0-0, without surrendering a goal.

Anina Cicerone didn't waste time helping the Broncos take the lead. In the third minute Caitlin Henderson cross the ball from the left side of the field to Cicerone, who was perched just outside the right corner of the 18 yard box. Cicerone fired a shot that sailed past UNI goalkeeper Erin Zaideman for her second goal of the year. Henderson tallied her team-leading third assist of the season as WMU took a 1-0 lead.

"Scoring early was a big monkey off our back," said head coach Suzie Grech. "We hadn't scored in over two games and it was something wearing on the girls' minds and it allowed us to relax."

WMU dominated possession for most of the first half and a run by Ali Jacobs down the right side of the field and into the box resulted in WMU's second goal. Jacobs took the ball down towards the goal line before cutting into the box and was fouled from behind. Senior midfielder Nicole Dulyea stepped up to the penalty spot in the 39th minute and placed the ball in the lower right corner of the net for the penalty-kick goal. The goal was Dulyea's second of the season.

The Broncos added their third goal on the day in the 59th minute after Nikolette Rivera challenged for the ball at the top of the 18-yard box. Rivera pushed the ball through UNI's back line to Megan Matula. Matula shot the ball past UNI's out-stretched keeper for her first goal of the season.

Rivera herself would tally just minutes later in the 62nd minute after taking a pass from Stephanie Skowneski, she fired the ball from 20 yards out and into the left corner for her first goal of the season. WMU struck again in the 82nd minute after a goal kick by the Broncos. A Northern Iowa defender tried to head the ball back into the middle of the field but misjudged it and sent it backward. Sophomore forward Brittney Pavlica picked up the ball on a breakaway, shooting it from eight yards out. Back up goalie Kim Gianos got a hand on it but couldn't deflect it far enough as it rolled into the net to give WMU a 5-0 lead.

Western Michigan heads to Murray, Ky., to battle Murray State on Sunday at 11 a.m. before opening Mid-American Conference play the following week.

Bowling Green 2, Cleveland State 1
BOWLING GREEN, Ohio - Sophomore Sarah VonderBrink's goal with just over six minutes left in regulation lifted the Bowling Green State University women's soccer team to a 2-1 victory over Cleveland State University Sunday afternoon (Sept. 12).  The non-conference match was held at a sun-drenched Cochrane Field on the BGSU campus.

The win was BG's first of the season.  The Falcons are now 1-5-1 on the year.  The Vikings drop to 4-2-2 overall.

Falcon senior co-captain Katie Stephenson had a three-point day, scoring the first goal of the afternoon and picking up an assist on VonderBrink's winner.  All three goals were scored in a span of less than 12 minutes late in the second half.

Taylor Miller scored for the visitors, tying the match less than three minutes after Stephenson had broken the scoreless deadlock.  VonderBrink, however, headed junior Megan Amann's cross home at the 83:34 to give the Falcons the lead for good.

Senior Alexa Arsenault made two saves in goal, while her CSU counterpart, Kelly Zinkiewich, made three stops at the other end.

The Falcons have one more weekend of non-league action before the Mid-American Conference slate begins.  BGSU will host Michigan State on Friday (Sept. 17), then will travel to Terre Haute, Ind., for a Sunday (Sept. 19) match vs. Indiana State.

Toledo 0, Minnesota 0 (2OT)
TOLEDO, Ohio - Toledo battled No. 23 Minnesota to a 0-0 double-overtime draw on Sunday at Scott Park. Following the tie, the Rockets are now 3-2-2 overall, while the Golden Gophers are 6-1-1, respectively.

In an intense non-conference contest before a boisterous crowd at the corner of Hill Ave. and Parkside Blvd., no striker could put a shot past UT netminder Vicki Traven or Minnesota 'keeper Cat Parkhill. Traven made nine saves en route to her second complete-match shutout of the season, while Parkhill was credited with two stops.

The visitors' Steph Brandt had the first strong scoring chance of the afternoon with a breakaway within the first two minutes, but UT's Traven made an acrobatic diving save to keep the match scoreless.

Moments later, the Rockets had their best scoring opportunity of the contest on a blast off the foot of senior Brittany Hensler at the 5:18 mark. The sleek-footed forward received a long pass from junior Kristen Lynn down the left side, and she had a good step on the last line of the Minnesota defense. The Strongsville, OH native then took a couple of quick dribbles toward the goal as the Golden Gophers' Parkhill came off her line to cut down the angle, forcing Hensler's shot wide of the mark.

As the first stanza wore on, the home squad had another quality chance to tickle the twine on a chip shot by senior Sarah Blake with just under 16 minutes left on the clock. There was a scrum in the middle of the Minnesota goal box and UT's Blake was able to shield herself from the defense, flicking a shot on goal from six-yards out on the side that barely slid over the bar and out of danger.

The action was fast and furious in the opening 45 minutes and Minnesota was presented with another opportunity to grab the lead off a cross from Nicole Baier. The midfielder made a nice run down the right side and attempted to cross the ball into the middle of the Toledo goalbox, but her pass had enough spin on it that it ended up hitting the far post and carrommed out of danger with just over nine minutes left.

The Golden Gophers were still not done attacking the UT goal in the first half and had one final quality chance when MacKenzie Misel volleyed a shot from about 10-yards out on the left side, but UT's Traven made another acrobatic save to keep the match deadlocked at the break.

In the second half, it was Misel again with a left-footed volley shot from 10-yards out that sailed just high of the net with under 19 minutes left in regulation.

The visitors were one final scoring opportunity in regulation on an attempt off the foot of Brandt at 82:14, but her blast slid wide and forced the teams to play overtime. She received a pass deep in UT territory from teammate Allie Phillips and found herself one-on-one with Toledo's Traven. Fortunately for the Midnight Blue & Gold, Traven did a great job of cutting down the angle and forced her shot wide of the target.

The teams then battled through a pair of 10-minute sudden-death overtime periods, with Traven forced to make one save in the second extra session, and Parkhill was not forced to make any stops after regulation.

The Golden Gophers finished with an 18-5 advantage in shot attempts and held a 13-3 edge in corner kicks.

The Rockets return to action on Friday, Sept. 17 when they wrap up non-conference action at Wright State. The  opening whistle from Alumni Field is slated for 7:00 p.m.

Miami 2, Temple 1
JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. - For the third straight game, sophomore Jess Kodiak and freshman Katy Dolesh both scored, as the duo led the Miami University women's soccer team to a 2-1 victory over Temple (3-4-0) Sunday afternoon in the ETSU Invitational at Summers-Taylor Stadium. With the win, Miami claimed the ETSU Soccer Invitational presented by DoubleTree Hotel championship, as the RedHawks (5-2-0) also defeated Winthrop on Friday to be the lone team to go 2-0 at the tournament.

In what is becoming a common occurrence, Miami struck early as Dolesh (South Euclid, Ohio) snuck in behind the Owls' defense and junior Courtney Clarke (Scarborough, Ont.) found her with a through ball that Dolesh finished to put the 'Hawks up 1-0 just 2:43 into the match. Miami has scored a goal within the first seven minutes of the match in five of its seven games this season.

"Dolesh's goal was very well taken. She broke through from the midfield and she's so good at getting forward. She's got such great speed, once you get her behind the back four there's just no catching her," head coach Bobby Kramig said. "She finished her goal slotting it past the keeper who was trying to prevent the breakaway."

Despite some pressure from Temple, Miami was able to maintain its lead through the first half thanks to some strong play from senior goalkeeper Rachelle Boff (Naples, Fla.). In the 24th minute, Boff made a brilliant save to keep the Owls off the board as she deflected a sure goal onto the post, helping the RedHawks take a 1-0 lead into halftime.

Miami held a 7-5 edge in shots in the opening period, putting a pair of shots on target, including the score, while Boff stopped both of TU's on-goal attempts in the first 45 minutes. The Owls had the lone corner kick of the half.

The teams came out of the break firing, trading shots in the opening 15 minutes, but again Boff came up large and prevented Temple from knotting the contest. She made a pair of saves in the first 12 minutes of the half and finished with three in the stanza.

"Boff was tremendous today. She saved three goals for sure and handled a couple of difficult crosses. She had an outstanding performance," Kramig said. "She deflected one shot from distance that was headed upper 90 and managed to put it around the post. She also made a fabulous save on a breakaway with about 20 minutes left. She was very good today. I'm really proud of her and I think the team rallied around her performance."

The 'Hawks then widened the margin to 2-0 in the 65th minute as Kodiak (Naperville, Ill.), who was named the tournament's MVP, buried the ball in the back of the net from 10 yards out. Senior Rachel Byron (Elkhart, Ind.) earned the assist on the tally, her first of the season, while Kodiak's goal was her team-leading fifth of 2010. Miami has now scored at least two goals in all seven games in 2010, something not achieved since 1999.

"Jess Kodiak is a classy player. She's a skillful kid. She has great composure on the ball and is a really smart, clever player," Kramig said. "Her goal was absolutely beautiful. She flicked the ball up in the air over a defender's head and turned and finished it on the volley. It was brilliant."

In the 83rd minute, the Owls finally were able to get past Boff, as Allicia Yurkovic notched her fourth goal of the year from eight yards out to cut their deficit in half. Niki Conn picked up the assist on the goal. Temple would fire one more shot in the closing minutes but Miami's defense blocked it, as the RedHawks held on for the 2-1 win to clinch the tournament title.

In addition to Kodiak being named MVP, Dolesh and fellow freshman Kayla Zakrzewski (London, Ont.) were also named to the All-Tournament Team.

Despite the loss, the Owls finished with a slight, 14-13, edge in shots, but Boff saved five of TU's six shots on goal. Miami put seven shots on target as Gillian Kacsuta made five stops for Temple. The Owls also held a commanding, 7-2, advantage in corners, including six in the final period.

After wrapping up a six-game road swing, the RedHawks return home next weekend to host Eastern Illinois Friday, Sept. 17 at 4 p.m. before welcoming Evansville on Sunday, Sept. 19 for Senior Day at 1 p.m.

Northwestern 3, Eastern Michigan 1
EVANSTON, Ill. - The Eastern Michigan University women's soccer team dropped a non-conference road match to the Northwestern Wildcats, 3-1, as two second-half goals by the hosts proved to be the difference at Lakeside Field Sunday, Sept. 12.

The Eagles allowed an early own goal, but tied the score when senior Paige Sheridan (Farmington Hills, Mich.-Mercy) netted her second goal in as many games just before halftime. Three minutes into the second half, Northwestern's Kate Allen scored the go-ahead goal and Briana Westlund added an insurance tally in the 86th minute to secure the victory.

The Wildcats held a 14-7 edge in shots and a 5-1 margin in corner kicks. EMU senior goalkeeper Monique Budani (Whitby, Ontario-Sinclair) made four saves in a losing effort while NU keeper Carolyn Edwards made two saves for her third win of the season. The Eagles fall to 3-3-1 this season while the Wildcats move to 3-2-2.

In the tenth minute, Northwestern worked an early opportunity, pinning the ball deep into EMU's end of the field. As the Eagles attempted to clear the ball out of harm's way, a misdirected header allowed an own goal which gave Northwestern an early lead. Sheridan got the tally back when she dribbled into the box and around her defender before drilling a shot past the keeper, Edwards, in the 30th minute.

In the 48th minute, a scoring chance by NU's Allen forced Budani to leave her post and challenge, but could not stop the talented forward from netting her fourth goal of the season. Westlund added a late goal for good measure, sending the Eagles home with a weekend split.

Next up for EMU will be the Wolf Pack Invitational in Reno, Nev. against two first-time opponents for the Eagles. The Green and White will take on San Jose State Thursday, Sept. 16, at 4:30 p.m. before rounding out their trip out west with a meeting against invite host, Nevada, Saturday, Sept. 18.

Kent State 1, Pittsburgh 1 (2OT)
WEXFORD, Pa. - The Kent State women's soccer team (1-2-2) used late-minute heroics Sunday afternoon, as the Golden Flashes scored in the 89th minute to force a 1-1 draw with Pittsburgh at Carl A. Newman Stadium at North Allegheny High School.

After trailing when Pitt scored in the 36th minute, Kent State pressed forward in the final 15 minutes of regulation. The increased effort came to fruition, when freshman Jessacca Gironda (Akron, Ohio) scored her fourth goal of the season off an assist from senior Kelly Heaton (Mississauga, Ontario).

Neither team could tally a score in the 20 minutes of overtime, giving the Golden Flashes not only their second tie of the season, but their first draw against Pittsburgh in five meetings. Kent State entered the game 0-4-0 all-time against the Panthers.

"Our intensity was strong late in the game, and our dynamic when the game is on the line really shows our character," said head coach Rob Marinaro. "We're starting to build on that, and that will make us better."

Pittsburgh (3-4-1) outshot Kent State 12-8 on he game, but the Golden Flashes had seven of their shots after halftime. Kent State had the lead in shots on goal, 4-3.

Pitt had the game's first good look in the 13th minute on a corner kick, but it was a near no-look save by Kent State's Kelly Sherwood (Strongsville, Ohio) that denied the Panthers.

Kent State's first opportunity came in the 20th minute, when freshman defender Katherine Lawrence (Ajax, Ontario) made a convincing tackle near midfield. She fed Gironda down the right side, but her shot was just off the mark.

Pitt got the game's first goal in the 36th minute. On a counter attack, Pitt's Liz Carroll cut up the middle, threading a ball for Ashley Cuba. Her far post touch was just past the outstretched fingertips of KSU's Sherwood and brushed the inside of the post to give Pitt a 1-0 lead.

In the second half, Kent State wasn't able to get anything dangerous until the 78th minute, when a throw-in deep in the attacking zone resulted in a ball squirting through the box. Gironda challenged Pitt goalkeeper Morie Kephart, and the ball rolled out for a corner kick. On the ensuing set piece, Megan Johnson (Erie, Pa.) blasted a 40-yard shot from a Pitt clearance, but her shot was gathered by Pitt's Kephart.

That opportunity keyed a bounty of attacking chances for Kent State in the final minutes of regulation as they pressed numbers forward. In the 83rd minute, a Pitt defender fouled Gironda at the edge of the penalty box, but Heaton's free kick was denied by the four-man wall.

Just a minute later, a flick on another set piece sailed just over Heaton's head and was gathered by Kephart.

With less than 80 seconds left in regulation, senior Kellyn Flanagan (Medina, Ohio) found Heaton on the left flank. Heaton then slotted the ball to Gironda, where her quick touch past the Pittsburgh goalkeeper in the 89th minute forced extra minutes.

"She had a great finish, and showed composure to put it in," said Marinaro. "But the build-up to the goal showed our composure under pressure; we strung together four or five passes before that to set Jessacca up for the goal."

"Kelly Heaton got the ball on the outside, and she served it at just the right time," said Gironda, recapping her score. "It was a perfect pass."

In the first overtime, Pitt tried to chip the ball over the Kent State back line to on-rushing attacker, but the play was directed away from danger by Megan Johnson.

Kent State remained poised in the extra session under tough Pitt defense. In the 105th minute, Pitt thwarted danger when a shot by Heaton was saved after composed flick by Flanagan from the midfield. From there, neither team could crack their foe's defensive pressure to force the draw.

Sherwood finished with two saves for Kent State, while Pitt's Kephart made three stops.

Kent State will continue its 10-game road swing Friday, Sept. 17 when the Golden Flashes will take on Indiana for a 7:30 p.m. kickoff.