Story courtesy of Miami Sports Information
EVANSTON, Ill. -- Miami got off to a good start Friday in its second-ever NCAA Tennis Championship appearance, but dropped a hard-fought 4-0 decision to sixth-seeded Northwestern at the Christie Tennis Center. The RedHawks ended their season with an 18-7 record, their highest win total since the 1988-89 campaign.
Unlike a year ago when Northwestern took the doubles point with a pair of 8-1 victories, Miami put a scare into the Wildcats. While Cara Wald and Riekie Honiball fell 8-1 at No. 2, the remaining matches were both tied at 5-5 headed to the final stages. Megan Martzolf and Stephanie Danesis broke at No. 1 for a 6-5 lead and later led 7-6, but Anastasia Dracheva and Sydnee Bridger fell behind 6-5, were broken and dropped the match 8-5.
Danesis was up to serve trying to win the school's first-ever NCAA match when it was abandoned.
Singles turned quickly in Northwestern's favor. Martzolf dropped the first set 6-0, while Wald (No. 5) and Bridger (No. 6) both trailed 5-0. The Wildcats earned the first singles decision to open up a 2-0 lead when Stacey Lee finished off Bridger 6-2, 6-1. Wald fell to Linda Abu Mushredova 6-1, 6-3, putting Miami in a 3-0 hole, then the match ended when Drachava lost 6-1, 6-2 to Maria Mosolova, ranked 13th in the country.
In the three unfinished matches, Martzolf had battled back to trail and Honiball was down 6-3, 4-1. Danesis was in a dogfight with Samantha Murray at No. 2, trailing 6-2, 3-1.
"I thought we had a great start in doubles, but unfortunately, we couldn't get the break we needed," Interim Head Coach Ricky Rosas said. "We had our chances, but Northwestern is a great team. We competed very well against a tough team."
#5 Northwestern 4, Miami (Ohio) 0
1. Maria Mosolova (NU) def. Anastasia Dracheva (MIAMI) 6-1, 6-2
2. Samantha Murray (NU) vs. Stephanie Danesis (MIAMI) 6-2, 3-1, unfinished
3. Lauren Lui (NU) vs. Megan Martzolf (MIAMI) 6-0, 3-4, unfinished
4. Kate Turvy (NU) vs. Riekie Honiball (MIAMI) 6-3, 4-1, unfinished
5. Linda Abu Mushrefova (NU) def. Cara Wald (MIAMI) 6-1, 6-3
6. Stacey Lee (NU) def. Sydnee Bridger (MIAMI) 6-2, 6-1
1. Linda Abu Mushrefova/Lauren Lui (NU) vs. Megan Martzolf/Stephanie Danesis (MIAMI) 6-7, unfinished
2. Maria Mosolova/Elena Chernyakova (NU) def. Riekie Honiball/Cara Wald (MIAMI) 8-1
3. Samantha Murray/Kate Turvy (NU) def. Anastasia Dracheva/Sydnee Bridger (MIAMI) 8-5
Miami (Ohio) 18-7
Northwestern 22-6; National ranking #5
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (6,5,1)
NCAA Regional First Round