Friday's MAC Women's Soccer Results

Updated 10/17/2009

Stories courtesy of MAC Sports Information Departments

Eastern Michigan 0 at Western Michigan 0 (2 ot)
KALAMAZOO, Mich. ( - Eastern Michigan University tied a school record for ties in a season with five after 110 minutes couldn't decide a Mid-American Conference match with host Western Michigan University at the WMU Soccer Complex in Kalamazoo Friday afternoon. Four saves was all each team needed to preserve shutouts.

Maggie Manville converted the four stops for the Eagles who move their record to 7-3-5 overall, 3-1-3 in MAC play. The junior recorded her fifth shutout of the season, tying a season-high which was set last year. It was also her 16th career shutout.

EMU tied a season-high with their fifth tie of the season. The only other time it had drawn even with opponents five times in a season was in 2008. For a team that leads the league in shots per game, the Eagles managed just seven shots in regulation and 10 for the game. Part of the reason for that could have been muddy field conditions and cold temperatures, but a lot of the credit goes to the WMU defense. The Broncos (5-6-3, 2-2-2 MAC) out-shot EMU, 14-10.

Of those 10 shots, Carissa Wilson and Chelsea Detrick each tallied two with one shot on goal. The Green and White garnered six corner kicks to WMU's three. Eastern Michigan will now head southwest to take on Northern Illinois in Dekalb. The Eagles and Huskies will kickoff at 1 p.m. local time on Sunday.

Kent State 0, Bowling Green 0 (2 ot)
The Bowling Green State University women's soccer team battled Kent State University to a 0-0, double-overtime tie Friday afternoon (Oct. 16). The Mid-American Conference match was held at a chilly Cochrane Field.

The result leaves the Falcons with an overall record of 4-9-3 and a MAC mark of 0-4-3. The Golden Flashes are now 7-5-2 and 3-2-2, respectively.

Kent State held an posted the team's fourth shutout of the season. Arsenault made eight saves in playing all 110 minutes, and the Falcons also had two 'team saves,' as a pair of KSU shots were blocked off the goal line by BG defenders.

At the other end of the field, KSU's Kelly Sherwood made four saves on the day.

"It was a very tough b18-7 advantage in shot attempts, including a 10-4 margin in shots on goal. Falcon redshirt junior Alexa Arsenault and the BGSU defense attle, with some great defense from all of our players and some wonderful goalkeeping by Alexa," said Falcon head coach Andy Richards. "It was a tremendous all-around effort. I couldn't ask for more from the girls in terms of effort.

"Obviously, we couldn't get somebody to step up and get a goal for us. We had a few opportunities, but it just wasn't to be today. We are disappointed, but still are determined to get the wins we need to get into the MAC Tournament. We will refocus, practice tomorrow and get after it again on Sunday."

KSU's Kellyn Flanagan led all players with eight shot attempts and three shots on goal. One of those shot attempts was arguably the most dangerous scoring chance of the day, as she hit the crossbar midway through the second overtime period.

Over two hours earlier, Flanagan provided the Flashes with the first scoring opportunity of the afternoon, playing an entry ball to teammate Annie Messer, who had a step on her defender on the left side of the penalty area. Messer hit a shot from close range, attempting to find the far post, but Arsenault was able to make the save.

Nearly 14 minutes had elapsed when Flanagan found herself in alone past the Falcons' final line of defense. Again, she tried to go far post, and this shot provided a tougher challenge for Arsenault. But, the BG 'keeper made a diving save on the KSU striker.

Just over midway through the half, Messer fired a shot that was blocked off the line by a BG defender for a 'team save.' Several minutes later, the Falcons had a scoring opportunity at the other end, as sophomore Megan Amann played a free kick from the right side of the pitch. The ball curved toward goal as several players from each team converged on it, but Sherwood was able to punch the ball away a split-second before BG senior Colleen Kordan arrived.

Just over 12 minutes remained when a clearing attempt by Sherwood went awry, giving the ball to Falcon sophomore Alyssa Zuccaro approximately 40 yards away from goal. Zuccaro looked to fire a long shot, but was forced to take a few touches to free herself from a KSU defender. By the time the BG sniper could get her shot off, Sherwood had gotten back into position and was able to make the save.

The only remaining shot attempt of the half came off the head of KSU's Vanessa Salerno, but Arsenault made that save, and the teams went to halftime locked in a scoreless draw.

Early in the second half, Salerno and the Falcons had another chance. A forward ball sent Salerno down the right side of the field, and she fired a ball toward the goalmouth. The cross/shot was hit with force, but just before it reached the upper-right corner of the net, Arsenault punched the ball out of play.

Five minutes later, Salerno found Flanagan with a pass, and the latter player fired a hard shot toward the right side of the frame. Arsenault, forced to go to the ground, made a nifty diving save to again knock the ball over the touch line for a corner kick.

Just over 12 minutes into the half, Zuccaro made several nifty moves, in effect playing the ball past a pair of defenders and to herself. In all of the excitement, however, the assistant referee raised his flag, and offsides was whistled against a BG player.

Midway through the second half, Messer crossed to Flanagan in the box, approximately eight yards out. But Flanagan was unable to get a successful first touch on the ball, and it rolled to Arsenault. A few minutes later, Flanagan had a much more successful touch, hitting a cross into the danger area, but Arsenault broke up the play with a leaping grab.

Under 10 minutes remained in regulation when Zuccaro worked a give-and-go play with senior Carolyn Nesline. Nesline's nifty return pass sent Zuccaro in past the defense, but the charging Sherwood got to the ball a fraction of a second before 'Z' and cleared it out of play. Each team had one more shot over the final few minutes, but both went wide, and the teams headed to overtime.

In the first OT period, neither team had a solid chance for the first seven-plus minutes. Flanagan had both of KSU's shot attempts, with the first one blocked by a BG defender. The second one, however, was a grade-A scoring opportunity, but she misfired on her shot, and the ball went wide of the mark.

BG's only shot attempt of the period was in the final seconds, as sophomore Kelsey Kovacs got her head on a pass by classmate Leah Johnson. Kovacs was unable to get much force behind her last-second shot, however, and Sherwood grabbed the ball out of the air as the period ended.

The second OT period saw the Flashes fire a total of five shots in the 10 minutes, with three of those shots on goal and a fourth ringing off the crossbar.

Early in the period, junior Katie Stephenson's entry ball sent Zuccaro down the left side of the pitch for what looked like a solid scoring chance for the home team. Zuccaro, however, was taken down by a hard hip-check from a KSU defender, giving the Falcons a free kick. Amann's resulting kick was hit out of play by a defender for a corner kick, and BG was unable to score off of the ensuing CK.

Less than a minute later, Messer's crossing ball was intended for teammate Kelly Heaton, who was closely marked by Kaitlyn Kobe. The KSU striker and the Falcon senior got tangled up battling for the ball, which rolled toward the onrushing Arsenault.

Six minutes remained in the period, when a free kick by Kordan found the head of fellow co-captain Samantha Bland. But, the shot was grabbed by a leaping Sherwood.

Only 20 seconds later, a KSU counterattack resulted in Flanagan in possession of the ball approximately 30 yards out. The KSU junior, a transfer from Wisconsin, turned and fired a blistering shot that rocketed off the crossbar and back into the field of play.

Less than a minute after that, KSU threatened again. Messer's corner kick went through a maze of players in and around the six-yard box, and the ball found its way to Heaton. Her shot was blocked off the goal line by a BG defender, keeping the game scoreless.

Megan Repas had two shots within 20 seconds of one another, with both finding the mark. She took a pass from Heaton and flicked the ball on goal, then hit another shot just seconds later. But, Arsenault made both saves, the second coming with 2:13 left in the period. Neither team had another shot on goal on the afternoon/evening.

Bland and Zuccaro had two shots apiece for the Brown and Orange, with both of Bland's efforts on net. A total of seven different Falcons played all 110 minutes in the match.

The Falcons return to Cochrane Field on Sunday afternoon (Oct. 18), closing the home portion of the regular-season schedule with a 'Senior Day' match vs. the University at Buffalo. Kickoff is set for 1:00 p.m., with the Falcons' six seniors -- Samantha Bland, Jen Czapka, Kaitlyn Kobe, Colleen Kordan, Stacey Lucas and Carolyn Nesline -- recognized in ceremonies prior to the match.

Toledo 3, Buffalo 1
TOLEDO, OH - Toledo dominated all facets of the match against Buffalo and claimed a 3-1 victory on Friday at blustery Scott Park. With the win, the Rockets improve to 8-5-2 overall and more importantly 4-2-1 in the Mid-American Conference.

UT held a decisive 21-4 advantage in shots and a 10-4 edge in corner kicks to register its fourth-straight triumph over the Bulls (3-11-1, 2-4-1 MAC).

"It is starting to get to that time of the season when you need to be improving your performance each time out, and I thought we did that today," Toledo Head Coach Brad Evans said. "This week in training we changed a couple things with our goal being to try and create some more positive momentum, and I think it showed on the field."

The three-time defending MAC tourney champs exploded out of the gates and scored on its first shot off the foot of senior Molly Cornwell at 3:21. The two-time league Player of the Year received a cross from junior Sarah Blake with her back to the UB goal about 25 yards out. Cornwell rotated her body and fired a left-footed shot over the head of the Buffalo netminder Amy Coron into the back of the net. The tally was Cornwell's fourth of the season and tied her for the team lead.

The Bulls seemed to settle down a little after yielding the early goal and had a quality chance to knot the score on a long run by Taylor Thompson at the 16:40 mark. The freshman made a long run with the ball and beat UT junior goalie Angela Righeimer wide, but the ball scooted too far wide for her to have a clear look at the goal. Thompson regained her composure to put her in a better position and tried to get off a shot, but the UT defense quickly recovered and cleared the ball off the line.

Toledo kept its foot on the accelerator as the first half wore on and doubled its lead on a goal by senior Heather Wesley at 29:04. Teammate Kristen Lynn made a nice run with the ball and played it past the UB defense to Wesley, who was streaking down the side deep in the oppositions' territory. The Dublin, OH native then took a quick dribble and blasted a shot home to give the Midnight Blue and Gold a two-goal cushion at the intermission.

With all the momentum on their side, the Rockets continued to dominate as the second stanza started, but a slight defensive lapse cost cost them dearly and cut their lead in half. UB's Lindsey Bailey was playing in a corner kick when the ball struck Toledo freshman Rachael Kravitz's hand in the goal box, causing a penalty kick. Buffalo's Stephanie Velez stepped up to take the free kick and drilled home the penalty shot into the lower right corner to put the visitors on the board at 62:40.

Fortunately for the Rockets, they did not let that slight error affect their play and quickly recovered, re-establishing their two-goal lead on a tally by Kravitz at the 66:22 mark. Classmate Kristen Mattei started the play with a nice cross into the middle of the UB goalbox. There was a skirmish for the free ball and Kravitz emerged with it, firing a shot that hit paydirt to make the final tally, 3-1.

"Kristen made a nice pass, and I was fortunate to be in the right position to poke it into the back of the net," said Kravitz, who has now scored points in three of the last four matches.

Toledo's Righeimer made his first start of the season and went the distance, finishing with only one save to earn her first win of the season. For the Bulls, Coron was credited with 13 saves and suffered the loss.

"We came into today's match knowing that we had something to prove, and I think we did that," Kravitz said. "We came out strong and fast and really took it to them offensively."

The Rockets return to action on Sunday, Oct. 18 when they wrap up their four-match home swing against Kent State. The opening whistle is slated for 1:00 p.m. Prior to the start of the contest, UT will honor its five seniors - Megan Ginley, Nora Jereb Ali Leak, Cornwell and Wesley - who will be appearing in their final regular-season, weekend home match. Sunday's match has also been tabbed as "Think Pink Day." The Rockets will wear pink jerseys and raffle them off after the match with all proceeds going to Susan G. Komen for the cure foundation.

"Hopefully today's momentum will be carried over to Sunday's match and through the remainder of the conference season," Evans said.

Central Michigan 1, Northern Illinois 0
The Northern Illinois women's soccer team battled Mid-American Conference leader Central Michigan into overtime Friday, as the Huskies dropped a 1-0 overtime decision to the Chippewas at the NIU Soccer and Track & Field Complex.

Northern Illinois and CMU battled to a scoreless first half, matching each other in both shots, with six, and cornerkicks, with four. In the half, goalkeeper Lindsey Curnock (Batavia, Ill./Batavia) posted three saves to Central Michigan's Shay Mannino's two.

The Huskies controlled the ball for the majority of the second half of play and recorded three corner kicks to the Chippewas' two, while earning five shots and four saves in the half.

The game remained scoreless until the 95th minute of play, when Chelsi Abbott hit the top right corner of the net from 25 yards out to bring CMU to the 1-0 win. Katie Slaughter assisted Abbott in the goal.

"It hurts to come away with nothing tonight because we played extremely well," said head coach Carrie Barker. "It was a heartbreaker of an ending."

Mo Smunt (St. Charles, IL/East) and Kelsey Passaglia (Cary, IL/Cary-Grove) led the Huskies in the match with two shot attempts and one shot on goal each in the contest. Micaela Damas (Overland Park, KS/Blue Valley North) and Lisa Maier (Orland Park, IL/Sandburg) also recorded shots on goal.

NIU will celebrate Senior Day Sunday as the Huskies host Eastern Michigan for a 1 p.m. contest at the NIU Soccer and Track & Field Complex.

Akron 1, Miami 0
AKRON, Ohio - Senior Kate Ferrara's goal in the 61st minute proved to be the eventual gamewinner as the University of Akron women's soccer team topped visiting Miami (Ohio) 1-0 on Friday in a Mid-American Conference match at Lee Jackson Field.

Akron improved its record to 5-6-2 overall and 3-3-1 in league play, while securing its second-straight victory and third win in four outings. Miami dropped to 7-6-1 and 3-3-1 and lost for the second time in a row.

Ferrara's goal, her first this season, second of her career and also her second career game-winning score came at the 60:13 mark. Following a free kick by junior Kyra Petrole from the right side of the field from about 30 yards out, the ball rebound to Ferrara near the top of the box, who controlled it and sent it into the left corner of the net.

"It was perfect timing," Akron head coach Chris Pfau said. "She has played well for us all season and it's nice to see her get that type of satisfaction on senior weekend."

Ferrara is one of eight players in this year's Zips' senior class who will be honored prior to Sunday's Ball State game at 1 p.m. ET.

Ferrara's strike was one of four shots on goal for UA, with freshman Ashley Hughes, sophomore Rachel Phillip and senior Britni Back each recording one as well. Phillip and Back each had a game-high two shots and one of Phillip's attempts went wide of an open net midway through the first half.

UA sophomore goalkeeper Jeny Wolbert earned her third shutout of the season and sixth of her career. She had two saves on Friday, while Miami ‘keeper Krista Pace made three stops.

The Zips outshot the RedHawks 7-6 and UA held MU to just two shots on goal.

"We have played with more confidence during the last several games," Pfau said. "We are competing in every game and have proven to ourselves that we can play with any team in the conference."

Along with the annual Senior Day festivities, Sunday's match will also serve as Kick Cancer Day. In the spirit of cancer awareness, the UA players and coaching staff will incorporate the color pink into their gameday dress and all fans wearing pink can purchase a $2 discounted ticket. Kick Cancer t-shirts will be available for purchase for a $5 donation to the American Cancer Society and pink items and gift baskets will be raffled off throughout the afternoon.

Ohio 1, Ball State 0
ATHENS, Ohio - Laura Dieter's goal late in the 70th minute proved to be the difference as Ohio soccer picked up a hard-fought 1-0 victory over Ball State Friday evening at Chessa Field. With the win, the Bobcats extended their unbeaten streak to six games.

Ohio dominated the possession nearly the entire match, outshooting the Cardinals 15-5 on the day. The `Cats defense was also strong as they kept Ball State away from the goal and did not allow the Cardinals any serious scoring opportunities. Erin Schwenke (Solon, Ohio) paced Ohio's offense with four shots on the day. Dieter (Wheaton, Ill.) tallied two shots on the day, including her goal, which was her first of the season. Ainsley Bodi (Strongsville, Ohio) also recorded a pair of shots, while Jackie Hanson (LaGrange, Ill.) and Lauren Burke (Medina, Ohio) each picked up an assist.

"We've been continuing to review our offensive possession, and it came together today," Ohio coach Stacy Strauss said. "We were able to get chances, because everyone was on the same page. We stayed composed and focused today, and it was great to see Laura Dieter get the goal. It was well earned."

The `Cats came out on a roll and kept the ball on BSU's side of the pitch nearly the entire first half. Dieter nearly put an early score on the board, but the Cardinals' keeper made a nice save to keep the tally scoreless. BSU had an opportunity of its own to tie the score in the 24 th minute, but Ohio keeper Jess MacLean (Loveland, Ohio) made the stop.

Cathryn Rogers (Toronto, Ontario) came within an eyelash of putting the first score on the board in the 59 th minute, but her shot hit off the crossbar. BSU managed to hold off two other quick Ohio tries to keep it scoreless. Dieter finally broke through late in the 70th minute when she took a Hanson attempt that had deflected off the keeper and knocked it into the top of the net. The `Cats defense took care of the rest as Ohio picked up the win.

The `Cats will be back at Chessa Field Sunday when they welcome rival Miami for Senior Day. First touch is set for 1 p.m.