Sunday's MAC Women's Soccer Results

Updated 10/18/2009
Sunday's MAC Women's Soccer Results

Akron 3, Ball State 0

AKRON, Ohio - The University of Akron women's soccer team notched three second half goals to secure a 3-0 victory over Ball State in Mid-American Conference play on Sunday on Senior Day at Lee Jackson Field. Akron (6-6-2, 4-3-1 MAC) won its third-straight game and posted its fourth victory in five outings, while Ball State (4-11-0, 2-6-0 MAC) dropped its fifth-consecutive match.

Akron's first two goals of the day came from the foot of sophomore Rachel Phillip and within quick succession. The first, and eventual gamewinner, came at 59:32 during a free kick sequence. Phillip found the net as she finished a ball that had rebounded from senior Britni Back. Junior Alysia Virkler took the initial kick and was credited with an assist, along with Back.

Phillip's second score of the day, and team-leading fifth of the season, came at 62:31. An unassisted strike, she sent in the ball from the left side of the box and into the right side netting. She now leads the squad with 12 points (five goals and two assists) and also has two game-winning scores to her credit this season.

"Rachel has played really well for us all season," Akron head coach Chris Pfau said. "She has had some unlucky opportunities, but has really matured as a player this year and over the last several games has been really focused. That focus paid off today."
Junior Andrea Schweisthal gave UA another insurance goal at 72:25, off another free kick chance. Schweisthal scored the first goal of her collegiate career after she controlled a kick sent in by junior Kyra Petrole.

Akron outshot Ball State 17-13, for its second-highest shot output of the season (18 versus Eastern Michigan on Sept. 25), and 12 of the Zips' shots came after halftime. UA also had eight shots on goal compared to four by BSU, and the Zips took a season-high 10 corner kicks in comparison to six by the Cardinals. Akron's three goals scored was also a season high, as it had three two-goal victories to its credit entering Sunday.

The Zips called on the services of two goalkeepers, with senior Katie Davis playing in the first half and sophomore Jeny Wolbert taking over in the second. Davis had one save and Wolbert made two stops. The UA defense was credited with a team save during the first half, when senior Heather Rains headed away a Ball State shot on goal after Davis was drawn away from the net by the Cardinals' offense.

With the exception of goalkeeper Michelle Smith (injured), Pfau inserted his senior class into the starting lineup, with Back, Davis, Rains, Kate Ferrara, Kristen Gregg, Adrienne Knox, and Sarah Richardson all being honored in a special pregame ceremony.

"I'm proud of this year's senior class," Pfau said. "This was a great senior weekend, with two wins. We have talked a lot with this class about making the program better than it was when they came in as freshmen, and they can most definitely say that have achieved that. They have all worked very hard and have been key to our success the last two years."

With three regular-season matches remaining, the Zips' pair of wins this weekend helped them take a big step toward securing their first-ever berth in the conference tournament, which gets underway on Nov. 1 at campus sites. Only the top-eight teams in the standings qualify. The UA program is in its ninth season as a varsity sport.

Two of UA's final three games of the season are on the road, competing at Buffalo on Oct. 23 and at neighborhood rival Kent State on Oct. 25. The Zips close the season at home on Oct. 29 versus Ohio.

Toledo 3, Kent State 2
TOLEDO, OH - Junior Brittany Hensler's third goal of the match lifted Toledo to a thrilling 3-2 double-overtime win over Kent State on Sunday at "Senior Day" at Scott Park. With the victory, the Rockets improve to 9-5-2 overall and 5-2-1 in Mid-American Conference competition.

In the second extra period, Hensler found herself alone approximately 15 yards from the Golden Flashes' (7-6-2, 3-3-2 MAC) goal when a loose ball strayed her way. The Strongsville, OH native quickly squared her shoulders and volleyed home the match winner at 103:39, becoming the sixth player in school history to register a hat-trick.

"I can't explain the third goal," said Hensler with a smile. "I noticed the goalie off her line, so I took a shot and it somehow went in. Coach Evans always talks to us (the team) about taking chances and that is what I did. I've never scored a hat-trick at any level. I was just able to make a play at the end and help our team pick up an important league win."

Today's contest was filled with many peaks and valleys, as the first 74 minutes produced no goals, while the final 19-plus minutes featured five scores and helped move UT into sole possession of second place in the league standings (16 pts.). Squads earn three points for a win and one point for a tie. Central Michigan continues to pace the MAC with an umblemished 8-0-0 mark, good for 24 points.

"This was a dramatic win for us," Toledo Head Coach Brad Evans said. "I'm so happy for our players, especially the seniors. Today was a highly-competitive match. Our team regularly talks about our opponents and how we usually see their best effort everytime out, and I thought Kent State played a great match this afternoon. They are an extremely dangerous team."

KSU finished the slugfest with a slight 14-11 edge in shots, while the three-time defending tourney champions controlled a 7-2 edge in corner kicks.

UT started quickly and nearly found the back of the net on a shot by senior Molly Cornwell at 1:45. The opportunity was setup on a good combination play from junior Lauren Baker, sophomore Kristen Lynn and Cornwell. Baker played a nice through ball to Lynn, who promptly beat a KSU defender down the right side, before crossing it into the middle of the Kent State goal box to Cornwell. The two-time MAC Player of the Year then made a beautiful cut inside to create some free space for herself and launched a shot that KSU netminder Kelly Sherwood made a nice diving save on.

Moments later, UT has presented with another quality scoring chance off the foot of Lynn at 4:20. The Strongsville, OH native had a ball played into her by Cornwell about 10-yards out on the left side. With her back to the net, Lynn turned and fired a left-footed shot that KSU's Sherwood made another diving save on to keep the match scoreless.

After the Rockets were denied on their first two scoring chances, much of the action for the remainder of the opening half was played in the middle of the field with the teams trying to establish some rhythm. The visitors had their best chance to score on a shot by L.A. Thoma at 30:01. The reserve forward juked UT sophomore goalie Vicki Traven and looked like her shot would find the back of the net, but senior defender Megan Ginley was in the right position to stop her attempt and keep the contest scoreless at the intermission.

Kent State started the second period very fast and had another opportunity to jump on the scoreboard first off the foot of Thoma at the 51:53 mark. She turned and fired a left-footed shot about 18-yards out that UT's Traven made an impressive diving save.
Like a chess match, UT countered and Cornwell came within inches of helping the home team draw first blood at 56:53. She received a long pass from Ginley and fired a left-footed shot from about 25-yard out that barely went over the crossbar and out of play.

True to form, Kent State responded and had a opportunity to score on a shot by Annie Messer at 60:21. The KSU forward was one-on-one with UT's Traven, but the 2008 MAC Freshman of the Year made an acrobat kick save.

With both teams and the fans on the edge of their seats with so many near misses, the Rockets struck first on a Hensler header at 74:02. Off the corner kick by Lynn, the Rockets' midfielder positioned her body perfectly in between a couple KSU defenders and blasted home the header for the first tally of the match, opening the floodgates.

Kent State stormed right back and knotted the score at 1-1 on a goal by Kellyn Flanagan at 82:21. The equalizer was setup on a long kick from goalie Sherwood and a nice lead pass off the foot of Messer in the 83rd minute. Following the pair of long passes, Flanagan was one-on-one with Traven and beat her low for the goal.

The visitors used the momentum from the equalizer and a little over two minutes later took their first lead of the match on a tally by Kelly Heaton on 84:45. Off a throw in by Megan Repas, KSU's Heaton was all alone in front of UT goal and poked the ball into the back of the net.

Down but not out, the Rockets knew time was an issue, but a Leak cross to Hensler, who perfectly placed a shot into the upper right corner of the goal at 88:38 sent the match into overtime.

In the first extra period, Kent State had best chance to seize the victory, as Messer headed a shot past UT's Traven, but the ball hit the post and carromed out of danger at 94:34.

In the second overtime, KSU's Thoma made a nice cut deep inside the UT goal box and fired a shot that was blocked out of play at 101:03, setting the stage for Hensler's dramatic volley winner.

"This is all kind of surreal," said Hensler, who came into today's match with one tally on the season. "This match had every emotion possible. We were tied for the longest time, then we led, then we were tied again, then we were behind with not much time left, and then we tied it up late to send it into overtime, before winning it in the second OT. Everybody on our team wanted to win so badly today for our seniors because they have done so much for us."

Toledo netminder Traven was credited with six saves in the win, while Sherwood finished with four stops in a losing effort.

The Rockets return to action next Friday, Oct. 23 when they travel to Ypsilanti, MI to battle Eastern Michigan. The opening whistle is slated for 3:00 p.m. from Scicluna Field.

Eastern Michigan 2, Northern Illinois 1
DEKALB, Ill. - The Northern Illinois women's soccer team outshot Eastern Michigan in the Huskies final home game of the season Sunday, but fell short to the Eagles after giving up a penalty kick in the final minute of play to record a 2-1 loss at the NIU Soccer and Track & Field Complex.

The Huskies outshot Eastern Michigan 13-8 in Sunday's contest, while also recording six shots on goal and five cornerkicks against their Mid-American Conference competition.

"We played extremely well in today's game," said head coach Carrie Barker. "Unfortunately we just didn't come out with the results we wanted."

In the first half of play, the Huskies outshot EMU 5-4, while recording four saves to keep the game scoreless for the first half of play. Eastern Michigan opened up scoring in the second half of play, when Stephanie Janssens hit a cornerkick into the box to set Katie Lozar up for the goal at the 49:51 mark.

The Huskies quickly answered back in the 51st minute of play, when Kelsey Passaglia (Cary, IL/Cary-Grove) hit the back left corner of the net off a cornerkick from Mo Smunt (St. Charles, IL/East). Passaglia was able to sneak the ball past EMU's goalkeeper, Monique Budani, to tie the game. The goal was Passaglia's second of the season.

Eastern Michigan broke the 1-1 tie with just 30 seconds left in play, when a foul in the box set Ashley Rodriques up with a penalty kick. Rodrigues snuck the ball past goalkeeper Lindsey Curnock (Batavia, IL/Batavia) to give the Eagles a 2-1 advantage over the Huskies.

Curnock posted four saves in the game to bring her career total to 276. Passaglia led the Huskies with four shots and two shots on goal in the contest. Lisa Maier (Orland Park, IL/Sandburg), Kim Schmitt (Homewood, IL/Homewood-Flossmoor) and Megan Harry (Alpharetta, GA/Milton) also recorded shots on goal in the contest.

The Huskies will wrap-up their schedule on the road as they travel to Ball State (Oct. 23), Miami (Ohio) (Oct. 25), and Western Michigan (Oct. 29) to finish the season.

Bowling Green 1, Buffalo 0
Members of all four classes contributed on Senior Day, as the Bowling Green State University women's soccer team picked up a 1-0 win over the University at Buffalo Sunday afternoon (Oct. 18). The Mid-American Conference match was held at BGSU's Cochrane Field.

With the win, the Falcons improve to 5-9-3 overall, and BGSU is now 1-4-3 in MAC action. The Bulls drop to 3-12-1 and 2-5-1, respectively.

The Falcons' six seniors were recognized in pregame ceremonies, but all four classes played a part in the victory. For example, a freshman scored BGSU's goal, with a sophomore assisting, and a redshirt junior picked up the shutout in goal, helped by a defensive corps that included a sophomore, a junior and three seniors.

The home team dominated the statistical categories en route to the win. BGSU had a total of 24 shots to Buffalo's eight, and the Falcons had a 14-4 advantage in shots on goal. Additionally, the Falcons had no fewer than 15 corner kicks -- just two shy of the school record -- while not allowing the Bulls a single corner.

Off of BG's first corner of the day, the Falcons scored what would prove to be the game's only goal. Freshman Keely Chandler, one of numerous players from both teams in a crowded six-yard box, knocked home the corner off the foot of sophomore Megan Amann. With just 5:36 elapsed, the home team was on the scoreboard.

And, as mentioned, that goal was all that redshirt junior Alexa Arsenault and the Falcon defense would need. Arsenault made four saves to earn her second consecutive shutout. Five defenders, or defensive midfielders in some cases, played all 90 minutes to help Arsenault keep that clean sheet. That group included seniors Samantha Bland, Kaitlyn Kobe and Colleen Kordan, junior Alicia Almond and sophomore Leah Johnson.

UB 'keeper Amy Coron made a whopping total of 13 saves on the day, allowing just the one goal to keep her team in the game until the very end.

The Falcons, as mentioned, scored off of the first corner kick of the day, on the second shot of the afternoon. Just a few minutes after the Falcons' goal, the Bulls had their first shot on goal, as Stephanie Velez, UB's leading scorer, hit a hard shot that Arsenault was forced to play on a hop. The ball skipped off the ground, hit Arsenault in the chest and bounded several feet away, but the BG goalie grabbed the rebound to prevent a UB follow-up try.

Nearly 13 minutes in, off another BGSU corner kick, junior Jackie Tamerlano hit a point-blank shot from the center of the penalty area, only about five yards away from goal. Coron was able to make the save, and the rebound came to Bland, who shot just high from close range.

As the match approached the 19-minute mark, the Falcons were able to string together several passes to build up the attack. Junior Katie Stephenson worked the ball to Johnson, who played a give-and-go with Chandler. Johnson received the return pass and fired a cross that nearly reached Stephenson in the box, but was knocked away just in time by a UB defender.

In the 27th minute of the match, the Bulls were called for a foul just outside the penalty area, and Amann lined up for a free kick from approximately 19 yards away. Amann's resulting effort rang off the crossbar, and Kordan's header try on the rebound was grabbed by a thankful Coron.

Fourteen minutes remained in the opening half when sophomore Kelsey Kovacs began a BG attacking threat. Kovacs found Stephenson with a pass, and Stephenson played the ball to soph Alyssa Zuccaro. Zuccaro returned the favor, and Stephenson then knocked an entry ball to sophomore Katelyn Turner, who was heading into the right side of the 18-yard box. Turner, racing alongside a UB defender, went to the ground, and the BG bench and Falcon fans pleaded for a foul call, to no avail.

Late in the half, the Bulls looked to get an equalizer, but a cross by Katie Kerr sailed just a little too far, heading through the area and out of play for a goal kick. The Falcons took a one-nil lead into the half.

In the opening minute of the second half, Coron went down after colliding with Turner as the two players chased a 50-50 ball in the box. The UB goalie was able to remain in the match.

Only two minutes into the period, Kordan's long free kick produced a diagonal ball that sailed into the box from right to left. Kordan's fellow co-captain, Bland, tried to get a head on it, but the ball was just out of her reach. Turner, however, was stationed near the far post, and tried to play the ball across the goalmouth. Coron punched the ball away, but the rebound went to Kovacs, who fired a shot that Coron was able to smother.

Nine minutes after halftime, Turner's through ball sent senior Stacey Lucas down the right side, and Lucas drilled a volley that seemed to have Coron beaten, but went just wide of the left post.

Two minutes after the Lucas threat, the Falcons threatened again, this time off another corner kick by Amann. The soph hit a ball in the direction of Bland, who headed it toward the upper left corner of the goal. Coron was able to deflect the shot, then was in position to grab another shot, this time off the head of Zuccaro.

Midway through the period, Stephenson and Chandler worked the ball forward from midfield. Chandler's pass found Zuccaro in the middle of the field, approximately 25 yards out. The Falcon soph hit a turnaround shot that seemed to have a great deal of force behind it. But, a lunging UB defender was able to get just a piece of the ball after it left Zuccaro's foot, deflecting the shot wide of target.

With 20 minutes left, Kordan hit a shot, and Coron knocked it away as a BG player challenged her in the goalmouth. The Falcons thought the ball may have crossed the goal line, but the assistant referee -- who was in perfect position -- motioned that the ball had not gotten across the line.

Six minutes later, Lucas passed the ball to Almond, received the return pass and hit a shot from approximately 20 yards out on the right side. Lucas' effort was saved by Coron, who did a good job maintaining her concentration as Turner ran directly in front of her in an effort to tip the ball and/or screen the 'keeper.

With six minutes left, good hustle by Falcon senior Carolyn Nesline forced a turnover by Coron. Under pressure from Nesline, Coron's clearing attempt went directly to Turner, who was about 40 yards away from goal. Turner looked to fire a shot before the UB goalie could recover, but Coron was able to scramble back into position and make the save of Turner's effort.

Less than a minute later, Turner's cross was just out of the reach of freshman Sarah VonderBrink, but Stephenson tracked it down on the left side of the area. Stephenson attempted to play a ball across the six-yard line to a teammate, but a UB defender was able to clear it just in time.

BG successfully killed off most of the remaining five-plus minutes, but the Bulls had several chances in the game's very late stages. The Falcons were whistled for a foul about 35 yards away from the net that Arsenault was guarding, and the clock was stopped to allow UB time to get the ball, which had been kicked downfield. The Bulls' Lindsey Bailey lined up a free kick with just 13 seconds on the clock, but her kick was blocked by the BG wall 10 yards away.

Quickly, the Bulls regrouped, and Kerr got off a shot that was on target with just three seconds left. But, Arsenault grabbed the soft shot out of the air and the Falcons had the victory.

BGSU, as mentioned, had a 24-8 advantage in shots, including a 16-5 margin in the second half. Eleven of BG's 15 corners also came after halftime.

The Bulls were whistled for 15 fouls to the Falcons' 11, and UB was carded three times to BG's one. The Bulls played the final 2:54 with 10 players after receiving a red card.

BGSU will close the regular season with three consecutive games on the road, beginning with Friday's (Oct. 23) contest at league-leading Central Michigan. Kickoff for that match is scheduled for 4:00 p.m. in Mount Pleasant.

Central Michigan 1, Western Michigan 0
KALAMAZOO -- The Western Michigan women's soccer team dropped a hard fought match, 1-0, against Mid-American Conference rival Central Michigan on Sunday afternoon at the WMU Soccer Complex.

Neiter team had many chances in the first half as the two teams jostled for possession often in the midfield. WMU's best chance came early in the first half on a ball played in to the middle of the box by Nikolette Rivera. The ball found its way to senior midfielder Patrice Impelido and she slid to make the shot but it was right to the chest of CMU goalkeeper Shay Mannino.

The lone goal of the game came in the 50th minute. CMU's Bailey Brandon threw the ball deep in to the box and Valerie Prause headed the ball towards the far post. Chelsi Abbot came in and flicked the ball in to the net to put the Chippewas up 1-0.

Minutes later the Broncos had their best chance of the half as Anina Cicerone fired a ball from 28 yards out. The ball sailed to the goal and curved down but hit the bottom of the cross bar and bounced out back on the field. Cicerone mirror that shot minutes later, this time sending the ball just over the cross bar.

Western Michigan heads on the road for the final time of the regular season to take on Miami on Friday at 3 p.m. and then Ball State on Sunday at 1 p.m.

Miami 1, Ohio 0 (2 ot)
ATHENS, Ohio - A Miami goal early in the 108th minute spoiled Ohio soccer's senior day as the RedHawks squeaked past Ohio 1-0 in double overtime Sunday afternoon at Chessa Field.

Regulation was not enough to decide this battle between the two rivals. Both squads battled back and forth through 90 minutes and nearly two overtime periods before the RedHawks' Sara Lund knocked a header just out of the reach of Ohio's keeper off a free kick to end things.

"I thought the effort was there today," Ohio coach Stacy Strauss said. "Give Miami some credit. They have some great individual players. You let them in the game that long and they're going to make you pay. That's what happened."

The `Cats (7-6-2, 4-2-2 MAC) had the advantage in shots, outshooting Miami (8-6-1, 4-3-1 MAC) 12-11 on the day. Sophomore Sara Seitz (Englewood, Ohio) and freshman Cathryn Rogers (Toronto, Ontario) each tallied three shots on the day to pace the Green and White, while Kelsey Pichel (Rochester Hills, Mich.) put both of her shots on goal. Rogers, Erin Schwenke (Solon, Ohio), Rachael Goulding (Toronto, Ontario) and Jasmine Merith (Richmond Hill, Ontario) also recorded shots on goal.

Ohio had the better of the possession in the first half, but it was unable to get anything on the board. Rogers had a chance to put a score on the board in the 18th minute, but the RedHawks keeper made a nice save. Goulding nearly tallied one herself late in the half as she had a one-on-one breakaway with the Miami keeper coming out. The keeper managed to get her hands on Goulding's potential goal, however, and kept things scoreless at the half.

Both sides went back and forth at each other throughout the second half as neither defense would give an inch. Ohio had a couple promising chances to get on the board. Schwenke fired a shot from about 10 yards out that was square on goal, but Miami's keeper made the collection. The Green and White defense did its job towards the end of regulation as it stopped a pair of potentially threatening RedHawk chances.

The `Cats nearly dominated the possessions through both overtime periods as they outshot Miami a combined 5-1 during the two extra frames. Miami took advantage of one of its few possessions in Ohio territory early in the 108th minute. After a Bobcat foul drew the free kick, Lund managed to head the ball just into the left corner of the net to end things and snap the `Cats' six-game unbeaten streak.

Prior to the match, the Green and White paid its respects to four talented seniors. Amy Lower (West Chester, Ohio), Jess MacLean (Loveland, Ohio), Merith and Christa Puccio (Scaggsville, Md.) were all recognized for their time and talents that the contributed to the Ohio program during their four years in Athens.

Ohio will look to rebound Friday as it takes on Kent State on the road. First touch is set for 4 p.m. ET.