Friday's Women's Soccer Results

Updated 8/22/2009

Friday's MAC Women's Soccer Results
Kent State 2, Eastern Kentucky 1
Purdue 5, Ohio 0
Louisville 1, Miami 0
Pittsburgh 1, Buffalo 0
Ohio State 2, Bowling Green 0

Stories courtesy of MAC Sports Information Departments

Kent State 2, Eastern Kentucky 1
KENT, Ohio - The Kent State women's soccer team rallied from a one-goal deficit in the second half to post a 2-1 victory Friday afternoon at KSU Soccer Field. The win improved Kent State to 10-3-0 all-time in home openers.

"We had a ‘never quit' mentality today, even after going a goal down," said head coach Rob Marinaro. "We picked it up a notch in the second half, dug down, and that was great to see."

Junior Kelly Heaton (Mississauga, Ontario) came off the bench to post the game-tying goal in the 74th minute and then assist on the game-winning goal in the 77th minute. Heaton helped Kellyn Flanagan (Medina, Ohio) find the net for the go-ahead goal.

Despite KSU's advantage in shots and possession, Eastern Kentucky (0-1-0) got on the board early in the second half. Making good use of a wind-aided second half, the Colonels got on the board in the 47th minute with Heather Bruce's goal from the left side.

Kent State continued to press, with Heaton breaking through for the season's first strike. After gathering the ball on the right side of midfield, Heaton bore down and sliced her way through the EKU defense. Once inside the box, Heaton found herself one-on-one against goalkeeper Emma Werner and found a gap at the far post.

Less than three minutes later the Golden Flashes had the lead. Flanagan paired up with Heaton on the left side, and the junior midfielder cracked a hard shot that beat Warner and found the side netting.

Possibly setting up the offensive barrage was senior Catharine Marosszeky (Aurora, Ontario), who just five minutes before the scoring outburst put a 30-yard blast on frame that demanded a huge diving save by Warner.

Kent State's best chance in the first half came at the 30th minute, when Annie Messer (Dayton, Ohio) sent in a ball from the end line that found the feet of Flanagan, but the junior's sliding effort skipped just wide of the far post. Kent State out-shot Eastern Kentucky 12-4 in the first half, including a 5-2 ledger in shots on goal.

For the game, Kent State had an 18-8 shots lead, with an 11-4 shots on goal advantage. Warner made nine saves in the setback, while Kent State's Kelly Sherwood (Strongsville, Ohio) made one of the team's three saves.

Next up for the Golden Flashes is the second game of a three-game home stand as Kent State will entertain Cleveland State Friday, Aug. 28 at 4 p.m. at KSU Soccer Field.

Purdue 5, Ohio 0
WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. - It was not the kind of start Ohio soccer hoped for to open the 2009 season as the `Cats fell 5-0 on the road to one of the best teams in the Big Ten, Purdue, Friday evening.

"We played a very good team today, and we didn't play like we needed to the first half," Ohio coach Stacy Strauss said. "It showed. We hadn't faced that kind of pressure before, and it took some time for us to adjust. The second half we did a better job pressuring and were able to get a few chances for ourselves, but by then the damage had been done."

The Boilermakers showed why they finished third in the Big Ten a season ago early on, taking advantage of a slow Ohio start and getting a couple early shots. Jess MacLean (Loveland, Ohio) made an early save to keep Purdue off the board, but the Boilermaker attack finally broke through the Bobcat defense and put up the first tally on a score from Jessica Okoroafo midway through the seventh minute. Purdue came back with its second goal of the match a little less than two minutes later when Katie Seeger managed to sneak one into the back of the net.

Purdue's offense managed to continue to keep the ball away from the `Cats over the next several minutes before getting behind the Ohio defense and recording the third score of the match in the 22nd minute. The Boilermakers extended their lead further with their fourth goal in the 39th minute. Ainsley Bodi (Strongsville, Ohio) had a chance to chip into the Purdue lead for the Green and White late in the first half, but a save from the Boilermakers' keeper kept the score 4-0 heading into the half.

Half two didn't start any better for Ohio as Purdue added its fifth goal of the day just over 90 seconds into the half. The `Cats' offense picked up its play in the 54th minute and put some pressure on the Boilermaker defense with a pair of good shots from Cathryn Rogers (Toronto, Ontario) and Kelsey Pichel (Rochester, Mich.), but clutch saves from the Purdue keeper kept the score where it was. The Green and White defense stepped up its play over the last 40 minutes of the game and kept the Boilermakers quiet the rest of the way.

MacLean tallied seven saves in net to lead Ohio, while Bodi, Rogers and Pichel all recorded shots on goal. Purdue outshot the `Cats 22-3 on the day.

Ohio will look to rebound Sunday afternoon as it comes home to take on Cincinnati in its home opener. First touch is set for 1 p.m. at Chessa Field. 

Louisville 1, Miami 0
LOUISVILLE, Ky. - The Miami women's soccer team had its 2009 season opener spoiled by the Louisville Cardinals of the BIG EAST, 1-0, Friday night at Cardinal Park. Louisville (1-0) handed the RedHawks (0-1) their first season-opening loss since 2005, which also came at the hands of the Cardinals. Miami is now 7-6 all-time in season openers, while Louisville evened the all-time series with the 'Hawks at 4-4.

Junior Brooke Livingston (Lisle, Ill.) fired the first shot of the game (and the season) for Miami in the fifth minute off a corner kick, but the Cardinals answered with four shots in the next 15 minutes and took advantage of a slow start by the Red and White to score the game's lone goal.

"I thought it was an evenly played game, but I wasn't very happy with how we came out," head coach Bobby Kramig said. "I didn't think we played a very good first 20 minutes, but once we got the jitters out, I thought we played pretty well and created some opportunities. But we can't win a game playing only 70 minutes."

Louisville senior Lindsay Boling notched the lone tally in the 19th minute off an assist from freshman midfielder Courtney Holtz. The RedHawks picked up the pace following the score, playing even with Louisville the remainder of the first frame, as neither side managed another shot over the final 25 minutes of the half.

Miami earned four corner kicks in the second stanza, including three in the final three minutes, but were unable to even the match, despite putting some pressure on the Cardinals' defense. Louisville managed seven shots over the final 45 minutes, but the 'Hawks hung tough preventing the hosts from adding to their lead.

"Our back line started out a little rocky, but once we got things sorted out we played pretty well. I thought Brooke (Livingston) and Haley (Clark) were outstanding and I thought Courtney Clarke had a good game back there," Kramig said.

Senior keeper Krista Pace (Toronto, Ont.) made seven saves for Miami, six in the second half, adding to her school record for career saves (now at 289). Dating back to last season, Pace has recorded seven stops in each of her last five contests.

The RedHawks were out-shot 11-1, but some of UL's shots came from distance and were not a threat. Miami did earn five corners to the Cardinals' three.

Miami returns to action Sunday, Aug. 23, for its home opener when the RedHawks welcome Eastern Kentucky (0-1), who fell to Kent State in its season opener, in a 1 p.m. ET match at Miami Soccer Field. The meeting will mark the first ever between the two schools. Miami is 7-4-1 all-time in home openers, all under Kramig.

"We need to come out and have a good start and play a full 90-minute game," Kramig said of the home opener. "It's something we haven't done yet (in the preseason) and we didn't do it tonight. Louisville punished us for it the first 20 minutes and after that we were okay. We can play with most of the teams on our schedule, but we're not going to do that unless we can come out of the gates a little quicker and put together a complete game."

Pittsburgh 1, Buffalo 0
PITTSBURGH, PA - The University at Buffalo women's soccer team opened their 2009 season against the Pittsburgh Panthers on Friday night at Pittsburgh's Founders Field. The Bulls fell to the Panthers 1-0 with senior goalkeeper Amy Coron making 12 big saves to keep the game close.

Coron stopped two shots in the first half and ten shots in the second half to keep the Bulls in the game. The only goal of the game came five minutes into the second half as Pittsburgh's Ashley Cuba was able to dribble past Coron for the goal. Buffalo had their own opportunities but couldn't get on the board. Lindsey Bailey had Buffalo's first scoring chance 18 minutes into the game with a shot to the wide right. The Buffalo attack stayed quiet until late in the second half. Aubrey Stahl had a chance to score with a shot off the crossbar with less than 15 minutes remaining. Freshman teammate Stephanie Velez earned the team's only shot on goal with less than ten minutes to go. The Panthers outshot the Bulls 21-3.

Besides Velez, four newcomers got their first start in Blue and White, including Nina Connell, Shannon Fisher, Katie Kerr and Taylor Thompson.

The Bulls will take a week off from competition before travelling to Colgate for another non-conference game. The match against the Red Raiders is set for 7:00 pm on Friday, August 28 in Hamilton, NY.

Ohio State 2, Bowling Green 0
Host Ohio State scored once in each half en route to a 2-0 win over the Bowling Green State University women's soccer team Friday night (Aug. 21). The game, the season opener for both teams, was held at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium.

Paige Maxwell and Kayla Eckman scored goals for the Buckeyes, who held a commanding 27-3 margin in shot attempts on the night. Redshirt junior Alexa Arsenault, the All-Mid-American Conference First-Team goalkeeper in 2008, made eight saves on the night, several of the spectacular variety.

OSU's shot advantage included an 11-0 advantage in the first half. All three of BGSU's shot attempts came in the game's final 15 minutes, including a pair in the last two minutes of the contest.

Despite the shot disparity, Arsenault and the Falcon defense held the Buckeyes off the scoreboard for nearly all of the first half. Maxwell's goal came with just under five minutes remaining. She took a right-side cross from Danielle Scoliere in the center of the box, and redirected it into the lower left corner of the net.

With just under 15 minutes left in the match, Eckman doubled the home team's lead. She was wide open in the center of the penalty area and was able to pick her spot. Cassie Dickerson and Caitlyn Martin were credited with assists on the goal.

Not long after that goal, Falcon sophomore Katelyn Turner stole a pass near midfield, and raced toward goal ahead of three Buckeye defenders. Turner was able to get a shot off, but the shot was high.

Arsenault's save total, as mentioned, included several spectacular stops. She made a nice diving save on Lauren Granberg's turnaround shot with 15 minutes gone, and came off her line to make a great stop, smothering a shot by Lauren Steuer.

With 14 minutes left in the opening half and two Buckeyes lurking on the doorstep, Arsenault made a diving effort to break up a dangerous crossing attempt, keeping the game scoreless at that point.

OSU had some additional chances to increase the lead. In the first minute of the second half, a header by Maxwell went just wide. Caitlyn Martin rang a shot off the goalpost with 20 minutes left.

The Falcons, after going without a shot in the opening half, began to show a few signs of life offensively. Junior Katie Stephenson tried to slide a cross into the box from the right side, but OSU goalkeeper Lauren Robertson was able to corral it with approximately 38 minutes left in the match.

Midway through the half, a pass found Maxwell running free down the left side of the penalty area, but Arsenault knocked her shot out of play. The BG keeper also made a spectacular save on Steuer in the second period to keep the Bucks from increasing the lead.

The Falcons threatened to cut the lead in half in the late going, as sophomore Alyssa Zuccaro and freshman Keely Chandler each had shots from the top of the box blocked by the defense. BGSU was buzzing around Robertson and the OSU goal in the final moments, but could not put the ball in the back of the net.

OSU had advantages of 10-0 in shots on goal and 9-1 on corner kicks. The hosts committed eight fouls to the Falcons' three.

BGSU now has a week to prepare for the next game, the home opener against Indiana State next Friday (Aug. 28) at Cochrane Field.