Saturday's MAC Men's Soccer Results

Updated 11/7/2010
Saturday's MAC Men's Soccer Results
Bowling Green 2, Florida Atlantic 1
Akron 2, Hartwick 1

Game stories courtesy of MAC Media Relations Departments

Bowling Green 2, Florida Atlantic 1
BOCA RATON, Fla. - The Florida Atlantic University men's soccer team put together a spirited effort on senior night but came up one goal short in their final match of the 2010 season. 

The Owls were upended by Bowling Green 2-1 in front of the home crowd at the FAU Soccer Stadium.  Trailing 1-0 midway through the first half, Darnell King scored a beauty of a goal, bending one just inside the right corner from 20 yards out to level the game at 1-1. 

In the second half, Ryan Comiskey scored what would be the game-winning goal for Bowling Green, beating FAU keeper James McCormick past the right post after an accurate cross from teammate Zach Lemke. 

McCormick made one save in net for FAU while his counterpart Miguel Rosales made three saves for the Falcons. 

The Owls (5-9-2, 2-4) fell one win shy of qualifying for the Mid-America Conference Tournament.

The Falcons (6-8-3, 3-3) clinched the final spot with Saturday's victory and will take on the top-seeded Akron Zips next Friday in the opening round. 

Prior to the start of the match, three seniors, T.J. Pluskota, Jose Guerra and Rocco Pecora, were recognized prior to playing their final home match of their FAU careers.

Akron 2, Hartwick 1
ONEONTA, NY - The Hartwick men's soccer team nearly pulled off a big upset in its season finale on Saturday under the lights of Elmore, but nationally second ranked Akron battled back from a 1-0 second-half deficit and sealed the win with a penalty kick goal with just under 11 minutes remaining. It marks the third straight one-goal, comeback victory for Akron over Hartwick dating back to last season.

Senior Owen Botting (Billingshurst, England/Heidelberg College) gave Hartwick the lead in the 55th minute on a 25-yard direct kick. The Zips would tie the match13 minutes later on a Ben Speas tally and Michael Nanchoff gave Akron the lead for good from the penalty spot with his seventh goal of the year.

The Hawks were the aggressors in the first half of play and were unlucky not to come away with a goal in the opening 45 minutes of action. The Zips, though, had the first good chance of the night less than six minutes into the match. Forward Darlington Nagbe walked inside the 18-yard box and fired a shot at goal. Keeper Jake Wright (Los Angeles, CA/Cal Northridge) made the big stop though and the game stayed 0-0.

'Wick, which held the heavily favored Zips shot-less for the next 27 minutes of the match, began  to dominate proceedings as they took the next seven shots. The Hawks nearly made it 1-0 as Zips' goalkeeper David Meves' goal kick was one-timed by senior Evan Doan (Garland, TX/N. Garland), allowing forward Dan Summers (Banstead, England/Sutton Grammar) to get a shot off from just outside the Akron penalty area. Summers' blast along the ground had Meves beaten but it tailed just wide of the far post.  

The Zips responded late in the first half with four straight shots, including a pair of Michael Nanchoff shots that both went just wide of the Hartwick goal, but the game was level at the half, 0-0. The Hawks held a 7-5 edge in shots and a 3-1 advantage in corners.

The Hawks were rewarded for their efforts at the 54:08 mark. Botting took a direct kick following an Akron foul 25 yards out. His low, powerful effort was good enough to beat Meves to his left-hand side and the Hartwick was in front.

The complexion of the game changed just 1:16 later, however, as a hard tackle from senior Tim Daigle (East Greenbush, NY/Columbia) brought out a second yellow card from the referee and the Hawks were forced to play the final 34:36 down a player. Despite the decision, Hartwick continued to move forward and nearly increased their lead in the 66th minute. A long ball from the left side eluded the Akron backline allowing Summers to break in alone on Meves. The junior striker, however, put his shot high of the target keeping it a one-goal game.

Less than two minutes later, the Zips drew even. Akron caught the Hawks in transition and Nanchoff played a through ball on the left side to defender Chris Korb. He slotted a low cross in front of 'Wick's goal where Speas met it perfectly at the penalty mark leaving Wright no chance on the play.

Akron maintained possession for the next 12 minutes before they were awarded what proved to be the game-winning penalty. A ball was played to the right side of the Hartwick box to Speas. His volley was blocked by a Hawk defender who was tightly contesting for the ball, but the referee deemed the ball was handled and awarded the visitors the spot kick. Nanchoff converted the kick low and off the post and in to Wright's left and the Zips were in front.

Up 2-1 with a man-advantage, the Zips kept the ball away from the Hawks for much of the remaining 10 minutes to seal the victory.

Wright finished the night with three saves. Meves mad three stops for the Zips, who finished with a 12-9 edge in shots.

Prior to the match, Hartwick recognized the careers of the departing seven seniors Wright, Botting, Doan, Daigle, Steven Amaya (Oakland Gardens, NY/MLK), Carson Pryde (Calgary, Alberta) and Michael Cunningham (Dunedin, New Zealand/John McGlasham).