Friday's MAC Women's Soccer Results

Updated 9/11/2010

Friday's MAC Women's Soccer Results
Pittsburgh 1, Akron 0
Illinois State 1, Northern Illinois 0
Miami 2, Winthrop 0
Duquesne 2, Buffalo 0
Minnesota 2, Bowling Green 0
Toledo 2, Michigan 2 (2OT)
Ball State 1, Western Kentucky 0
Eastern Michigan 3, Valparaiso 2 (2OT)
Ohio 1, Cleveland State 1 (2OT)
IUPUI 1, Western Michigan 0 (2OT)

Game stories courtesy of MAC Media Relations Departments

Pittsburgh 1, Akron 0
Inianola, Pa. - The University of Akron Women's soccer was dropped by Pittsburgh Friday afternoon 1-0 at Founder's Field.

"This was a good game for us and a game that will help us when we get into conference play," said coach Chris Pfau.

The Zips took the game into half-time tied at 0-0, with Jeny Wolbert making two saves in the first stanza.

The Panthers were able to get the games only tally in the 63rd minute, when Liz Carroll scored from 20 yards out.

Wolbert made six more saves in the second half to total eight for the game while Jordan Baranowski fired two shots to lead the Zips (2-3-0).

"I think the big thing is we are not in game shape yet," said Pfau. "I think that playing one game a week has really hurt us. We've lost our sharpness from preseason. We had flashes of it in the second half but we are not good enough in the attacking part of the game right now. I think only playing games will get that back."

The Zips return to action one week from today when they travel to Las Vegas to take part in the UNLV tournament. UA will take on UC Davis Friday at 7:30 p.m. est and Long Beach State on Sunday at 1:30 p.m. est.

Illinois State 1, Northern Illinois 0
DEKALB, Ill.- The Northern Illinois women's soccer team saw a strong defensive effort by the Huskie backline but an early goal from Illinois State's Anna Stinson pushed the Redbirds to a 1-0 win over the Huskies at the NIU Soccer and Track & Field Complex.

"We didn't get the result we wanted, however we gave 100 percent effort today," said NIU head women's soccer coach Carrie Barker. "As a team defensively we played well."

In an even-matched battled on the field, the Huskies displayed a strong defensive effort against the Redbirds but were unable to even the score offensively after ISU's Stinson scored in the 17th minute of play. Stinson notched the game-winner after Alyssa Schulz crossed the ball to Kyla Cross who found an open Stinson on the right side of the field.

The Huskies fired four shots, with three shots on goal, but did not capitalize on their opportunities to score. Kayra Thompson led the charge for the Huskies with two shots and one shot on goal. Nici Newquist and Lauren Eberts each recorded shots on goal in the contest.

Freshman Amy Carr saw her fifth start in goal for the Huskies. The England native tallied three saves for NIU, pushing her season total to 14.

Following today's match-up the Huskies will continue action at home next weekend when they host SIU Edwardsville on Friday, Sept. 17 at 4 p.m. The Huskies will close the weekend by holding Senior Day on Sunday, Sept. 19 when NIU hosts Green Bay at the NIU Soccer and Track & Field Complex.

Miami 2, Winthrop 0
JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. - After dropping both matches last weekend, the Miami University women's soccer team opened play at the ETSU Soccer Invitational presented by DoubleTree Hotel in convincing fashion Friday evening, striking early and receiving strong goalkeeping to down Winthrop, 2-0, at East Tennessee State's Summers-Taylor Stadium. The match was the first ever between the RedHawks (4-2-0) and the Eagles (0-3-1).

For the fourth time in six matches this season, Miami found the back of the net within the first seven minutes as freshman Katy Dolesh (South Euclid, Ohio) got her head on the end of a corner kick from sophomore Jess Kodiak (Naperville, Ill.) and beat Winthrop's Sarah Schippers for an early 1-0 lead. The goal was Dolesh's second in as many games, after scoring her first collegiate goal last Sunday at DePaul.

The RedHawks kept the pressure on through the first 20 minutes until the Eagles fired three shots and earned a corner in a five-minute stretch, but redshirt freshman keeper Kris Gasparovic (Rochester, Mich.), making her first start for Miami, saved two of the shots and the defense kept Winthrop off the board.

In the 28th minute, Miami regained momentum, earning back-to-back corner kicks that proved unsuccessful, but less than two minutes later, Kodiak notched a tally of her own, making it a 2-0 contest in the 30th minute. Kodiak has registered at least one point in all six games this season and is now tied for the team lead with four goals and also has a team-high six assists, including her helper to Dolesh. Juniors Sarah Dessfelt (Vellinge, Sweden) and Courtney Clarke (Scarborough, Ont.) each earned assists on the goal, after setting up Kodiak with a through ball from Miami's end of the field.

"Kodiak is one of the most composed, skillful players we've ever had and she just finished that one off beautifully," head coach Bobby Kramig said. "We're playing her all over the field - up top, on the wing, in the midfield. She's been our go to kid, wherever we need some quality, that's where we put her."

Neither side would put a shot on target the remainder of the half, as the 'Hawks went into the break up 2-0, despite being outshot, 7-6. Miami did hold a 4-1 edge in corner kicks in the opening 45 minutes, however.

Winthrop came out of halftime looking to gain ground, as Tricia Vensel put a shot on goal less than a minute into the period but Gasparovic was up to the task. The Eagles again had an opportunity to close within one after Miami was whistled for a foul in the penalty box, but Gasparovic stopped Courtney Durbin's penalty kick in the 61st minute to keep it a 2-0 contest.

The Eagles made a last attempt to get back in the game, ripping three shots in a four-minute stretch from the 75th minute to the 79th minute, but again the RedHawks held strong. Miami was able to generate some offense of its own in the closing minutes but neither side would score again, as the 'Hawks closed out the 2-0 victory.

"The kids worked very hard and we got a couple of key plays when we needed them, including Kris Gasparovic saving a penalty kick," Kramig said. "She certainly deserves praise for her effort in this game."

Gasparovic picked up her first collegiate win and shutout after saving all five shots on goal by Winthrop while Schippers finished with a trio of saves in defeat. For the match, the Eagles held a slight, 13-12, advantage in shots with both sides putting five on target, but Miami earned four corner kicks to Winthrop's three. The RedHawks have now scored at least two goals in all six matches in 2010, something that hadn't been achieved since 1999.

"I saw some things in the midfield tonight that were better than in the past and our back line seems to have settled down from last weekend and anytime you can get a shutout it's a quality effort. I'm also pleased with the diversity in our offense," Kramig said. "We were missing a couple of key players tonight because of injuries. Sara Lund didn't even make the trip and Sam Whitmore didn't play so we were a little shorthanded but the kids we brought, they played some quality minutes and did the business for us and it was a good team effort."

Miami looks to continue its scoring streak and winning ways Sunday when it wraps up play at the ETSU Soccer Invitational by facing Temple at 1 p.m.

Duquesne 2, Buffalo 0
NIAGARA, NY - Two Duquesne goals within two minutes of each other led the Buffalo women's soccer team to a 2-0 loss in the opening game of the Niagara University Fall Classic. The Bulls outshot the Dukes but were tripped up by a brief defensive lapse.

The first Duquesne goal came in the 34th minute after a long run resulted in a shot past freshman goalkeeper Ainsley Wheldon. Just a minute and 51 seconds later a scrum in front of the Buffalo net resulted in the second goal of the match. The defense locked up in the second half, allowing only one shot for the rest of the game.

Senior Lindsey Bailey took three shots, while senior Julie Dale, junior Aubrey Stahl, sophomore Natasha Arana and freshman Lauren Coviello chipped in with shots on goal to help the Bulls attack. Buffalo did not lack an aggressive nature on the offensive side of the ball, but seemed to just miss on many runs, drawing 10 offside penalties in the game.

The team, now 1-4 on the season, will look to rally in its final match of the tournament, a Sunday afternoon game against Robert Morris.

Minnesota 2, Bowling Green 0
BOWLING GREEN, Ohio - Steph Brandt's goal in the 68th minute broke a scoreless tie and lifted the nationally-ranked University of Minnesota to a 2-0 victory over the Bowling Green State University women's soccer team Friday (Sept. 10).  The non-conference match was held at Cochrane Field on the BGSU campus.

With the win, the Golden Gophers -- ranked No. 23 in this week's Soccer America poll -- improve to 6-1-0 on the year, and UM has won six consecutive matches.  The Falcons drop to 0-5-1 on the season.

The Gophers possessed the ball for most of the match, and had a clear majority of the shot attempts in Friday's match.  Still, the contest was deadlocked before Brandt scored at the 67:36 mark.  Tamara Strahota added an insurance goal with just 3:30 left in the second half.

The visitors had a scoring chance in the first minute of the match, as Shari Eckstrom's pass put Brandt through.  Brandt hit a hard shot, but it was right at BGSU senior goalkeeper Alexa Arsenault, who made the stop.

It was the Falcons' turn to threaten just a few moments later.  With fewer than three minutes gone in the match, a corner kick by junior Megan Amann sailed through the box.  Freshman Morgan Burgner tracked down the ball on the left side of the penalty area and played a pass back to senior co-captain Alicia Almond.  Almond fired a hard turnaround shot, but Minnesota 'keeper Cat Parkhill was able to parry it.

Brandt, who had a game-high three shots on goal, nearly scored a fluke goal in the eighth minute.  After a teammate's cross rolled into the box, a BG defender attempted to clear the ball out of the area.  The clearance, however, hit Brandt, who was only a few yards away from goal.  Somehow, the ball caromed up and over the crossbar.

The home team had another chance, off of another Amann corner kick, midway through the half.  This time, Amann's inswinger looked as if it had a chance to go into the net, but Parkhill grabbed it at the last minute.

With eight minutes before halftime, Eckstrom received a backpass and hit a hard shot, but a Falcon defender was able to block it out of play.  Despite having a 9-3 advantage in shot attempts in the first 45 minutes, the Gophers went to the intermission locked in a scoreless draw with the Brown and Orange.

The visitors had 15 shots in the second half, but went nearly one-half of the way through the period before finally getting on the board.   Ten minutes through the period, a dangerous-looking cross by Allie Phillips rolled through the box without finding a UM teammate.

Just a minute later, Brandt hit a one-timer off of a soft, low crossing ball.  The shot was cleared off the line by a Falcon defender for the rare 'team save.'

BGSU nearly had a scoring chance with just under 30 minutes left in the period.  Katelyn Turner and a Minnesota defender raced for a ball that had been played into space by a Falcon midfielder, as Parkhill left the safety of the penalty area to attempt to clear the ball.  Parkhill's clearing try, though, was blocked by Turner, and Parkhill fell down on the play.  Unfortunately for the Falcons, Turner fell as well, and the Gopher defender was the first one to the ball.  Turner blocked another would-be clearance by UM, but the deflection went to another Minnesota player as Parkhill scrambled back into the penalty box.

Finally, midway through the period, the Gophers got on the scoreboard.  A giveaway near midfield gave UM's Phillips possession of the ball, and she found Eckstrom with a pass.  Eckstrom's through ball was perfectly slotted between a pair of Falcon defenders, and Brandt ran onto it on the left side of the penalty area.  Brandt hit her shot in stride, and found the lower part of the net for a 1-0 Gopher lead.

UM added some insurance with only three-and-a-half minutes left.  A corner kick by Katie Bethke went past three Gopher teammates in the box, but the ball bounded toward Strahota, who blasted a shot into the upper-right portion of the goal.

Minnesota wound up with a 24-3 advantage in total shot attempts, and put 10 of those shots on frame to the Falcons' two.  Parkhill made two saves in her complete-match effort.

For her part, Arsenault had seven saves, and broke up several other seemingly dangerous scoring chances.

The Falcons will remain at home to face Cleveland State University on Sunday (Sept. 12).  Kickoff is set for 1:00 p.m. at Cochrane.

Toledo 2, Michigan 2 (2OT)
TOLEDO, Ohio - Toledo battled Big Ten foe Michigan toe-to-toe for 110 minutes and emerged with a 2-2 double-overtime draw on Friday at Scott Park. With the stalemate, the Rockets' record moves to 3-2-1 on the season.

In a tale of two halves, UT scored both of its goals in the first stanza, before the Wolverines (3-1-2) countered with a pair of tallies after the intermission to force the deadlock.

The visitors started off today's action extremely fast and had a chance to jump on the scoreboard first on a header by Eunnie Kim at 8:25, but UT junior goalie Vicki Traven made a nice diving save to keep the match scoreless.

Moments later, the Wolverines had another opportunity to draw first blood on a shot by Clare Stachel at the 12:55 mark, but the ball hit the post and ricocheted out of danger.

The squads then fought back-and-forth for possession over the next four-plus minutes, before the Midnight Blue & Gold took advantage of a Michigan miscue to score the initial goal. Sophomore Natalia Gaitàn delivered a long pass out of the UT third of the pitch deep into Wolverines' territory, and a Michigan defender whiffed on an attempt to clear it out of danger. The ball bounced right to a streaking senior Brittany Hensler down the middle of the field, and she perfectly placed a shot into the back of the net at 17:19 for her third goal of the season.

The score remained the same until the 36th minute when Toledo freshman Rachel MacLeod made a nifty ball move on the right side and was taken down in the Michigan goalbox to set up a penalty kick. Junior Kristen Lynn calmy stepped up and drilled home her team-best fourth goal this fall into the upper-left corner at 35:07.

With all the momentum, the Rockets looked for the knockout punch and nearly got it on a header by freshman Nicole Gyurgyik just minutes before the break. UT's Lynn made a nice run down the right side and crossed the ball into the middle of the Michigan goalbox to Gyurgyik, who had snuck in behind the defense. The Rockets' forward made solid contact with her head, but it went directly to the Wolverines' goalie Haley Kopmeyer, who made the save to keep the score 2-0 at the half.

Following the intermission, Michigan scored its two goals within the first 11-plus minutes to bring the teams even once again. The first tally was setup following a Toledo foul about 20 yards out from its own goal. UM's Kim put the ball in play off the indirect kick and teammate Jackie Carron drilled home the goal into the lower-left corner at 46:48.

A Michigan free kick a little less than 10 minutes later tied the match at 2-2 at the 56:16 mark. Carron took the kick from approximately eight-yards off the endline on the left side, sending a cross to Amanda Bowery, who redirected the ball into a scrum in front of the UT goalbox. Nkem Ezurike was the second Wolverine to strike the ball, placing it into the back of the net for the equalizer.

The visitors had shifted the momentum of the contest with the two quick strikes and nearly took their first lead of the match on a shot by Kim at 63:47, but her blast from the left side hit the post.

The Rockets were now reeling after giving up the two-goal cushion and they needed to sway the flow of the match back into their favor. They came within inches of doing just that following a corner kick by sophomore Rachael Kravitz in the 76th minute. The left-footed defender placed the direct kick into the Michigan goalbox to senior Sarah Blake, who was able to get a toe on the cross to place a shot on goal. Unfortunately for the home team, the Wolverines' defense stood tall and blocked the shot out of danger.

Toledo seemed to regain its momentum following Blake's near miss and was not done putting tremendous amounts of pressure on the Michigan defense in the waning moments of regulation. The home team had a free kick from about five yards out on the right side of the Wolverines' goal at 83:54. The indirect kick was tapped by Lynn to Kravtiz, who then blasted a shot into the Michigan defensive wall that glanced off the post. Much to the dismay of the Rockets, they were unable to convert and the match went into overtime.

The visitors controlled the action in the first extra period, owning a 5-0 shot advantage, before Toledo turned the tables in the final overtime frame, holding a 3-0 shot cushion. Neither team found the golden goal, though, settling for the tie as time expired.

UT's Traven made a season-high 10 saves to earn the draw, while Kopmeyer had four stops for the Wolverines.

The Rockets return to action on Sunday, Sept. 12 when they host nationally ranked Minnesota. The opening whistle from Scott Park is slated for 1:00 p.m. and the match will be broadcast live on BCSN. 

Ball State 1, Western Kentucky 0
BOWLING GREEN, Ky. - The Ball State soccer team notched its fifth win of the season and surpassed its win total from last season (4-13-1) with a 1-0 victory at Western Kentucky Friday evening at WKU Soccer Field. The Cardinals' 5-2-0 start to the year is the fastest start to a season for Ball State since 2005 when it opened to an 8-1-0 mark.

"We made progress tonight on what we have been working on as a team this past week," first-year head coach Craig Roberts said. "Our defense was strong and our midfield played well tonight. We still need to improve our consistency, but we battled hard and took advantage of the opportunities afforded us in the run of play."

Redshirt sophomore Sarah Orisich (Columbus, Ind./Columbus North) scored the game-winning goal for the second straight game as she found the back of the net in the 34th minute of play. Orisich put high pressure on WKU goalkeeper Katlyn Barnes and forced her into a miscue. She was able to get a touch on the ball and maneuver around Barnes before putting the ball in the back of the net for the game's lone goal.  

Orisich scored her first career goal last Sunday afternoon as she scored in the 103rd minute for the game-clinching goal against Southeast Missouri. She has now scored two career goals, both being game-winning tallies, in the past week.

Ball State controlled play in the first half as it held a 10-5 advantage in shots in the opening frame. Western Kentucky (1-3-1) reversed the action in the second half as the Hilltoppers were fighting to tie the game as they held a 10-5 edge in shots in the second half. Senior midfielder Missy Gordon (Carmel, Ind./Marshall) led BSU with six shots, while WKU had four different players recording two shots in the loss.  

Sophomore goalkeeper Aubrey Buehler (Waukesha, Wis./UT-Martin) posted five saves in the victory. Buehler improves to 5-1-0 on the season and records her second shutout of the year while helping BSU to its third shutout as a team. Barnes tallied three saves in the loss for WKU.

Ball State is off for the rest of the weekend and returns to action next Saturday afternoon as it travels to Pittsburgh, Pa., for a meeting at Duquesne. The game next weekend will be the Cardinals' final non-conference game of the year.

Eastern Michigan 3, Valparaiso 2 (2OT)
VALPARAISO, Ind. - In a thrilling end to a match, Paige Sheridan (Farmington Hills, Mich.-Mercy) gave the Eastern Michigan University women's soccer team a much-needed non-conference road victory by knocking in the game-winner in the 103rd minute to defeat host Valparaiso, 3-2, in double-overtime at Brown Field Friday, Sept. 10.

The Eagles snapped a lengthy scoring drought by capitalizing on a pair of turnovers with two scores early in the first half. However, Valparaiso answered with two quick scores in the second half, just two minutes apart, to tie the game. A free kick opportunity allowed Sheridan the chance to crash in and score the decisive goal, his first of the season, with just minutes remaining in the second overtime to lift the Green and White to a 3-2 victory.

EMU moves its record to 3-2-1 on the year while Valparaiso suffers its first defeat of the season, dropping to 3-1-2.

Chelsea Detrick (Grosse Pointe, Mich.-North) scored her first goal of the season and 17th of her career in the 21st minute before Maggie Christensen (Orland Park, Ill.-AA Stagg) tallied her second goal of the year and 12th of her career six minutes later. The Eagles took a 2-0 edge into halftime.

It would stay that way until the 60th minute when Catherine Terrell pulled Valparaiso to within a goal with a shot from close range. Just two minutes later, the Crusaders drew even after Luisa Desario's 15-yard blast, her third of the year.

Fortunately for EMU, their two-match skid was put to rest after Sheridan ended it with a hard-fought goal in traffic. After dropping a tough one to Detroit in their last outing, the Eagles begin the weekend with some momentum to build on heading into their match with Big Ten Conference foe, Northwestern.

EMU goalie Monique Budani (Whitby, Ontario-Sinclair) made four saves for her 19th career victory. Detrick was the lone Eagle to record more than a single shot in the match, logging four with two of them landing on goal.

The Eagles will take on the Northwestern Wildcats Sunday, Sept. 12, at Lakeside Field in Evanston, Ill. The match is slated to begin at 1 p.m. local time.

Ohio 1, Cleveland State 1 (2OT)
CLEVELAND, Ohio - Rachael Philpot scored the first goal of her career in the second half, but it was not enough as Ohio soccer battled Cleveland State to a hard-fought, 1-1 tie on the road Friday night in Cleveland.

The Bobcats (2-2-1) finished the night leading the way in the shot column, outshooting the Vikings (4-1-2) 17-10 on evening, including an 8-5 advantage in shots on goal. Sara Seitz (Englewood, Ohio) paced the Green and White attack with four shots overall, while Laura Dieter (Wheaton, Ill.) tallied three shots, including two on goal. Philpot (Cincinnati, Ohio) placed both of her attempts on goal, while Mattie Liston (Lakewood, Ohio) recorded four saves in goal.

"It was a good game," Ohio coach Stacy Strauss said. "We had plenty of chances to score, but we just couldn't finish. We had some shots that missed, but for the most part, we connected well on on our shots and put them on the mark. Their (CSU's) keeper made some great saves in overtime too. A chance here and a bounce there and things would have been different."

Neither side would give an inch in the early going as both squads struggled to get consistent looks at the net. The 'Cats came close early in the 15th minute, but CSU's keeper managed to step in front of a Dieter header to keep things scoreless. Action picked up over the next several minutes of play as both sides traded possessions and shots in the progress. Ohio nearly scored again early in the 38th minute, but a Philpot attempt was saved by the Vikings' keeper.

The first half came to a close with the game still scoreless. CSU held a slim 5-4 advantage in shots, while the 'Cats placed two of their shots on goal to the Vikings' one. Ohio also held a 2-0 edge in corner kicks.

CSU came out and nearly got on the board midway through the 47th minute, but Liston got in front of the attempt to make the save. The Green and White took control of play over the next several minutes, picking up a pair of corner-kick opportunities and a pair of shots, but the Vikings still managed to keep the 'Cats off the scoreboard. CSU nearly took the lead in the 72nd minute, but Liston made a nice save to ensure things remained scoreless.

Just 21 seconds later, Philpot landed the first tally of the contest. After making a nice play to get behind a Viking defender and into the top middle of the box, she launched a rocket from 20 yards out beyond the CSU keeper and into the upper left corner of the net. That would not last long, however, as the Vikings managed to take advantage of a corner opportunity to even the score. Frederike Debeau was able to place a header off Jessica Bound's corner try just out of reach and into the back of the net.

Jackie Hanson (LaGrange, Ill.) nearly gave the 'Cats back the lead midway through the 79th minute, but the Viking keep was able to just get in front to make the save. Erin Schwenke (Solon, Ohio) also made an attempt a couple minutes later, but she too was denied. The score would remain that way as regulation came to an end with action deadlocked at 1-1. Ohio dominated the shots in the second period, outshooting the Vikings 10-4 in the period to hold a 14-9 advantage going into overtime. Corner kicks were even at five apiece.

Neither side was able to get any type of good look through the first few minutes of extra play. CSU had a pair of corner opportunities, but the 'Cats were able to turn the Vikings away. Ohio nearly put the game to an end with 35 ticks left on the clock, but Katie Kemen's (Cincinnati, Ohio) header was corralled by the Viking keeper to send play into the second overtime.

The 'Cats had a pair of chances midway through the final overtime, but neither was able to find the mark. CSU had an opportunity of its own late in the 109th minute, but Liston was again able to get in front to make the stop. Neither squad was able to get any more chances the rest of the way as the contest came to a close tied at 1-1.

The Green and White will now return to Athens before continuing its road swing next Friday at IPFW. First touch against the Mastodons is set for 7 p.m. 

IUPUI 1, Western Michigan 0 (2OT)
INDIANAPOLIS -- The Western Michigan women's soccer team fell 1-0 in double overtime at IUPUI on Friday night as Megan Hock tallied the game-winner in the 102nd minute.

IUPUI's Alicia Brock launched a free kick into the box and it was headed to Hock by Stacy Levack and put in the back of the net.

"Mismarking led to the set piece goal and that is something that needs to be addressed," said head coach Suzie Grech. "We had plenty of chances and some great service by Caitlin Henderson but we just couldn't put the ball in."

The Broncos outshot the Jaguars 20-15 with a 10-5 shots on goal advantage but were unable to get one past IUPUI keeper Kristin Haseley, who finished the game with 10 saves. Stephanie Skowneski led the Broncos with six shots, landing three on goal, as WMU fell to 2-4-0 with its fourth straight road loss.

"We weren't composed when we would have a scoring chance," added Grech. "It caused us to take shots from 30 yards out and try and take the easy way out. it is going to take someone to make that sacrifice, that extra run or someone giving up their body on the play to get that away goal."

Western Michigan's road trip has come to an end as the Broncos host Northern Iowa on Sunday at noon at the WMU Soccer Complex. The Broncos defeated Oakland, 2-0, in their only home game so far this season.