Friday's MAC Women's Soccer Results

Updated 8/28/2010

Friday's MAC Women's Soccer Results
Eastern Michigan 1, Illinois State 0
Western Michigan 2, Oakland 0
Central Michigan 2, Northern Iowa 0
Bucknell 1, Ohio 0
West Virginia 3, Bowling Green 0
Toledo 6, Morehead State 2
Wyoming 3, Buffalo 0
Ball State 3, IUPUI 0
Iowa 2, Northern Illinois 0
Miami 2, Chattanooga 1

Stories Courtesy of MAC Sports Information Departments

Eastern Michigan 1, Illinois State 0
NORMAL, Ill. - Senior Stephanie Janssens (Novi, Mich.-Novi) converted a penalty kick just six minutes into the contest to lift the Eastern Michigan University women's soccer team to a 1-0 victory against Illinois State University Friday afternoon, Aug, 27, at the Adelaide Street Field.

Janssens' game-winner came after the Eagles (1-0-1) were awarded a penalty kick, following a foul on Maggie Christensen (Orland Park, Ill.-AA Stagg) inside the 18-yard box. ISU goalkeeper Mara Kremenovic came off her line to prevent an easy goal for Christensen and was whistled for the foul.

With the win, Eastern Michigan improved to 2-1 all-time against Illinois State (1-2-0). The EMU victory also marked the first time since Sept. 2007, as ISU entered the day with an 18-match home unbeaten streak.

Senior Monique Budani (Whitby, Ontario-Sinclair) made four saves and earned her 17th career shutout. Her 17th career shutouts rank second-best in EMU history, trailing only EMU Hall of Famer Sarah Willis, who blanked 24 opponents in her outstanding career.

ISU goalie Kremenovic tallied two saves during regulation, stopping freshman Julie Maheu's (Oakville, Ontario-Holy Trinity) shot in the 37th minute and another shot by as Janssens in the 66th minute.

Eastern Michigan stays on the road Sunday, Sept. 29, for a 1 p.m. contest against Eastern Illinois University in Charleston, Ill.

Western Michigan 2, Oakland 0
KALAMAZOO, Mich. -- The Western Michigan women's soccer team improved to 2-0-0 after defeating Oakland, 2-0, in front of 215 fans at the WMU Soccer Complex on Friday afternoon.

From the get go the Broncos dictated possession and tempo as junior winger Stephanie Skowneski ripped a shot on goal from the right side of the box in the first minute. In the 10th minute the Broncos got on the scoreboard after a cross by Caitlin Henderson was headed into the Oakland net by a Grizzly defender. The center-back made an attempt to clear it but the ball went in the opposite direction and WMU was handed a 1-0 lead.

WMU capitalized again on its pressure after being awarded a corner in the 37th minute. Henderson placed a ball in the box that was headed down by junior centerback Alison Szczypka. Nicole Dulyea pounced on the ball and punched it in to the net for her first goal of the season and giving the Broncos a 2-0 lead.

"Set pieces have become such an important part to soccer and we have some girls that are very talented in the air," said head coach Suzie Grech. "They were able to create some chaos and we capitalized on the opportunity."

Although not showing up on the stat sheet with a goal or an assist, junior Nikollete Rivera was the engine that drove the dominating midfield on the afternoon.

"She did not stop," said Grech. "She has been solid for us during the first to games and was constantly buzzing around and creating havoc. Our midfield has some of the strongest technical players on our team and Oakland allowed us to play to our strength and dictate possession."

With possession under control for a majority of the game, senior goal keeper Julia Francy was only counted on to make three saves. The first came on an Oakland corner and Francy was able to deflect a header from just dipping under the crossbar. The other two shots were from well outside the box and were easily handled. The shutout was the 13th in her four year career with the win being her 14th.

Western Michigan continues non-conference play as they head on the road to East Lansing to battle Michigan State on Sunday at noon.

Central Michigan 2, Northern Iowa 0
IOWA CITY, Iowa - Another match and another shutout.

The Central Michigan soccer team opened up the Iowa Tournament with a 2-0 win over Northern Iowa in Iowa City on Friday.

With the victory, the Chippewas are off to a 3-0 start for the second time in the last three seasons. The shutout is CMU's 22nd in its last 27 contests, dating back to the start of the 2009 season.

CMU established itself in the early going, firing the first eight shots of the match and holding UNI without a shot attempt for the first 21:49.

Despite the territorial dominance, the Panthers nearly walked into halftime with the contest tied at 0-0, but Liesel Toth fired a shot from near the back line that found the back of the net in the 43rd minute to put CMU up, 1-0, at the break.

The score remained 1-0 until the 72nd minute when Nicole Samuel blasted the ball off the crossbar and in for her second goal in as many matches, giving the Chippewas a two-goal cushion. CMU's defense took over from there, allowing only two shots the rest of the way to secure the shutout.

CMU posted another dominant statistical effort, outshooting UNI by a 29-6 margin and holding a 5-1 advantage in corner kicks.

"We created several chances and were pretty dominant the entire match," head coach Tom Anagnost said. "If we can become more efficient and opportunistic in the attacking half of the field we could be very good."

Shay Mannino earned her first victory of the season by making one save in the first half. Stefanie Turner held UNI off the board in the final 45 minutes to preserve the victory. Neither keeper has allowed a goal in 135 minutes in net this season.

The Chippewas conclude the tournament against host Iowa on Sunday afternoon. Kickoff is at 2:30 p.m. (1:30 p.m. CT).

Bucknell 1, Ohio 0
COLUMBIA, S.C.-Bucknell's Megan DeGennaro scored with a ball to the far post in the 73rd minute as the Bison downed Ohio 1-0 Friday evening at the Gamecock Courtyard Cup.

The Bobcats outshot Bucknell 16-13, while each team made seven saves.

Ohio midfielder Cathryn Rogers (Toronto, Ohio) had a team-best two shots on goal, while defender Rachael Philpot (Cincinnati, Ohio) led the way with three shots. Bobcat goalie Mattie Liston (Lakewood, Ohio) saved seven shots.

Bucknell forward Christa Matlack had a team-high four shots, including three on goal, for the victors.

The Bobcats' Sarah Brown (North Royalton, Ohio) had a chance to tie the match with 33 seconds left, but her shot was saved by Bison goalie Colleen Garrehy, who made six saves on the evening.

"It was a fairly wide-open game and we definitely had the run of play for the most part," said Ohio head coach Stacy Strauss. "I was really happy with the way we pressed forward tonight, and particularly with the effort of Sarah Brown and Sara Seitz (Englewood, Ohio)."

The Bobcats will next face host South Carolina, ranked 13th nationally, at 2:30 p.m. ET on Sunday. The Gamecocks faced Louisville later Friday evening.

West Virginia 3, Bowling Green 0
BOWLING GREEN, Ohio -- A goal exactly 20 minutes into the match gave visiting West Virginia University the lead for good, and the Mountaineers went on to a 3-0 win over the Bowling Green State University women's soccer team Friday afternoon/evening (Aug. 27).  The non-conference match was held at Cochrane Field on the BGSU campus.  

With the victory, WVU, receiving votes in all of the national polls, improves to 1-1-0 on the young season.  The Falcons drop to 0-2-0.

Caroline Szwed got the visitors on the board with 20 minutes elapsed in the first half, giving the Mountaineers a 1-0 lead that they took into the halftime break.  Second-half goals by Mallory Smith and Frances Silva gave WVU some insurance.  

Smith's goal came at the 62:12 mark, while Silva scored with just over 12-and-a-half minutes left.  

The Mountaineers had a commanding 26-5 lead in shot attempts.  Redshirt sophomore Becca Ison played the first half in goal for the Falcons, making three saves.  True sophomore Laura Arnold worked the second half and made four stops.  

The Falcons will be back in action at Cochrane Field on Sunday afternoon (Aug. 29), hosting Xavier University.  That match begins at 1:00 p.m., and admission is free.

Toledo 6, Morehead State 2
TOLEDO, Ohio - Toledo scored early and often en route to a convincing 6-2 victory over Morehead State in Friday's home opener at sweltering Scott Park. Four different Rockets tickled the twine against the reigning Ohio Valley Conference regular-season champions, signifying their most goals scored in a match since they netted seven vs. Youngstown State during the 2003 campaign. With tonight's triumph, UT improves to 2-1-1 on the season and 9-5-1 all-time in home openers.

Toledo came out focused and nearly struck gold within the first three minutes on a shot off the foot of junior Kristen Lynn. Unfortunately for the home team and the two-year letterwinner, her right-footed blast was just wide of the mark to the match scoreless early on.

Minutes later, the Eagles (0-3-0) caught the Rockets with too many players in the attack and were presented with a good chance to jump on the scoreboard when Lindsey Oettle launched a shot that glanced off the post at 6:16.

After dodging the bullet off the post, the Midnight Blue & Gold took the match over and netted its first goal on a well-placed corner kick off the foot of senior Erin Flynn. The two-year team captain perfectly bent-in a cross for her first tally of the season.

The home team then took advantage of a MSU defensive miscue to double its lead on the first of two goals by senior Brittany Hensler at 27:35. An Eagles' defender tried to clear the ball out of their defensive third, but her pass went right to Hensler, who took a couple quick dribbles and drilled home her first goal of the 2010 campaign.

The Rockets kept their foot on the gas pedal despite the two-goal cushion and a goal by freshman Ashley Ross made the score 3-0 at 34:44. Classmate Emily Tustin utilized some nifty moves with the ball to create free space and lofted a cross toward the back post to Ross, who volleyed it home for her first collegiate goal.

UT was still not done in the opening stanza, registering its third goal off a corner kick less than two minutes later to take a 4-0 lead into the intermission. Junior Jaimie Morsillo hammered home a cross from sophomore Rachael Kravitz at 36:26 to give the Rockets an advantage they would not relinquish.

Toledo seemed to relax a bit just before the intermission and it very nearly cost them. MSU's Julie Arnold maneuvered herself deep into UT territory and fired a low, hard that junior netminder Vicki Traven made a nice diving save on to keep the visitors scoreless at the break.

To start the second period, the Eagles came out with some extra energy and took advantage of the cross by Erin Adams to Alyssa Nacke to score their initial goal at 45:40.

Toledo quickly retaliated, though, on Hensler's second goal at 52:36. The score was setup on a nice pass from Lynn to a streaking Hensler, who lofted a left-footed shot over the head of the MSU goalie Lily Meisner into the back of the net.

Like a chess match, MSU countered with another header goal by Devan Jordan from Jillian Birchmeier at 55:38, before UT wrapped up the scoring on a header by freshman Molly Cantwell off a cross from senior Sarah Blake with just over two minutes remaining in regulation.

The three-time Mid-American Conference Tournament champions outshot the Eagles by a 19-11 margin and held an 8-3 advantage in corner kicks. Sarah Blake paced UT with four shots, while Hensler and Lynn had three shots each. Between the posts, UT's Traven recorded two saves in just under 56 minutes of competition before being relieved by senior Angela Righeimer, who did not record a stop.

The Rockets return to action on Sunday, Aug. 29 when they host Horizon League member Youngstown State. The opening whistle is slated for 1:00 p.m.

Wyoming 3, Buffalo 0
LARAMIE, WY - The Buffalo women's soccer team began its weekend out west with a 3-0 loss Friday afternoon at Wyoming. The Bulls managed only one shot on goal in its second straight loss to fall to 0-2 in this early point of the season.

Three second-half goals by the Cowgirls left the Bulls offense scrambling to recover. Freshman Megan Abman tallied the first shot of her career, putting a shot on goal in the first half. Fellow freshman Ainsley Wheldon stopped eight shots in her first collegiate start in goal, her second appearance of the season.

After playing to a stalemate in the first half, the Cowgirls came out aggressive and scored in the 55th minute of the game to break the scoreless tie. A second goal from 20 yards out in the 71st minute and a breakaway goal in the waning minutes of the match finished the scoring for the host school.

The team will have a quick turnaround as it makes the two and a half hour trip south down to Denver to face the Pioneers Sunday. The game marks coach Michael Thomas' return to his former squad, a team that won 90 games in his six seasons as an assistant. The game also marks a homecoming of sorts for four Bulls: junior Aubrey Stahl (Loveland, CO), sophomore Danielle Quigley (Arvada, CO), and freshmen Lauren Coviello (Parker, CO) and Megan Abman (Denver, CO).

Game time is set for 11:30 am (MST) with live stats and live video available through the University of Denver athletics website.

Ball State 3, IUPUI 0
INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. - For the first time since the 2004 season, the Ball State soccer team has opened the year with three straight victories after the Cardinals posted their second straight shutout with a 3-0 blanking of host IUPUI Friday night at Kuntz Stadium. Senior midfielder Missy Gordon (Carmel, Ind./Marshall) posted her first career multiple-goal game in the victory as she found the back of the net twice in the victory.

"Tonight we had a complete performance in all aspects of our game," first-year head coach Craig Roberts said. "We worked on our offensive execution this week and tonight we were more consistent in the attacking end. Missy really stepped up tonight and took her game to another level as she was a threat from the very beginning."

Ball State (3-0-0) jumped out of the gate quickly as it struck just 30 seconds into the contest. Gordon was the main culprit as she split a pair of defenders and ripped a bending shot from 30 yards out past IUPUI goalkeeper Paige Koop for the 1-0 lead in the first half minute of play.

The Cardinals extended their lead to 2-0 before the halftime break as freshman Robyn Miley (Indianapolis, Ind./Lawrence North) scored her first career goal in the 44th minute of play. Sophomore defender Skylar Chew (Mason, Ohio/Mason) sent a long ball into the 18-yard box behind the Jaguar defense. Miley ran onto the pass and beat Koop one-on-one for the two-game advantage.

The Cardinals wrapped up the scoring early in the second half as Gordon scored her second of the game in the 50th minute. Sophomore forward Shaniece Thorpe (Westmoreland, Jamaica, WVIT) made some space in the box and found Gordon open 10 yards out. Gordon took the pass and quickly deposited it past Koop for the Cardinals' third goal of the evening.

Ball State held a 13-7 shot advantage in the game and a 5-2 edge on corner kicks. Sophomore goalkeeper Aubrey Buehler (Waukesha, Wis./UT-Martin) picked up her third win of the season as she made one save in 72:37 minutes of action. Freshman Layne Schramm (The Colony, Texas/The Colony) made her first appearance of the season in relief and turned in 17:23 shutout minutes to secure the victory.

IUPUI (0-2-0) fell to 1-4-1 all-time against the Cardinals in program history. Koop picked up the loss as she allowed three goals in 90 minutes of play.

Ball State returns to action Sunday afternoon as it continues its six-game road swing. The Cardinals will travel to Big Ten foe Illinois for a 1 p.m. (CT) start.

Iowa 2, Northern Illinois 0
DEKALB, Ill.- The Northern Illinois women's soccer team opened play against Iowa in the inaugural Iowa Tournament Friday night, and despite a strong offensive effort in the first half of play, the Huskies (1-1-0) dropped a 2-0 decision to the Hawkeyes (1-1-0) at the Iowa Soccer Complex.

In the first road game of the season the Huskies battled their opponents to a scoreless first half, recording four shots and earning two cornerkicks against the Hawkeyes. Christen Schuler fired a shot on goal for the Huskies, while Kelsey Passaglia, Mo Smunt and Corinne Frankenberg each recorded a shot in the match.

Freshman goalkeeper Amy Carr was able to hold down the opponents, recording two saves in the first 45 minutes. The Huskie defense held their opponents to just one cornerkick, while the Hawkeyes narrowly edged out NIU in shot attempts with five to conclude the first half.

Despite six saves from Carr, the Hawkeyes' Dana Dalrymple and Gabrielle Ainsworth were able to find the back of the net to give Iowa a 2-0 win. In a hard fought battle by the Huskies in the second half of play, Iowa was able to break away when Darlymple scored in the 60th minute of play.  Ainsworth secured the win when she scored on a penalty kick in the 85th minute.

"Were two games in to the season and I'm very pleased with both our first half performances, but we have yet to complete a 90 minute game." said head NIU women's soccer Carrie Barker.

The Huskies will continue action in the Iowa Tournament on Sunday morning, when NIU takes on Northern Iowa in an 11 a.m. match-up.

Miami 2, Chattanooga 1
CLARKSVILLE, Tenn. - Senior Brooke Livingston headed home the game-winning goal for the Miami University women's soccer team Friday night, less than a minute after Chattanooga had evened the match, to give the RedHawks a 2-1 victory in the Lady Govs Invitational played at Austin Peay's Morgan Brothers Field. Miami (2-0) has now opened the season with consecutive wins for the first time since 1999 while facing the Lady Mocs (1-2) for the first time in program history.

Like in the season opener against Alabama A&M, the 'Hawks struck early as freshman Kayla Zakrzewski (London, Ont.) pounced on a poor pass by Chattanooga and finished strong in the back of the net less than five minutes into the game for her second tally of 2010. Her strike was Miami's first shot of the match.

The RedHawks kept control of the contest the remainder of the half, keeping the ball in the attacking end, but were unable to add to their advantage. Miami fired 13 shots in the opening 45 minutes, led by four from senior Julie Thompson (Glenview, Ill.), but UTC's Taylor Davidson made seven saves to keep the margin at one heading into the break. The RedHawks' defense limited the Lady Mocs to just one shot in the first period, which went wide of the target.

"We scored early and everybody thought it's going to be Alabama A&M again but that second goal wouldn't come quite like it did last time," head coach Bobby Kramig said. "The team didn't get too frustrated though and they didn't lose their composure. I don't think there was a flicker of disbelief that we wouldn't win the game."

Miami struggled in the first 15 minutes of the second period but started clicking in the 60th minute and ripped three shots in a six-minute stretch, but still could not pad its lead. In the 75th minute, UTC's Donna-Kay Henry used her speed to sneak behind the RedHawk defense and even the match at 1-1 on a feed from Anna Cusick.

Thirty-nine seconds later however, Miami responded and took the lead for good when Livingston (Lisle, Ill.) connected on a corner kick from sophomore Jess Kodiak (Naperville, Ill.) with her head to put the 'Hawks up, 2-1. It was Kodiak's second assist of the game and fourth of the season. Miami then held the Lady Mocs without a shot the remainder of the match to stay undefeated on the young season.

"Chattanooga's goal was one of those things where you kind of lose concentration for a split second so we wanted to make sure that they knew we were here to win and that we wanted it," senior defender Jessica Byron said. "We made sure we came back with just as much effort to get that second goal and the win."

The RedHawks finished with an 18-3 shot advantage, including 11-2 in shots on goal, and a 4-3 edge in corner kicks. Davidson finished with nine saves in net for UTC while senior keeper Rachelle Boff (Naples, Fla.) played the entire game in net for Miami and was forced to make just one save.

"I felt like we made this game a lot more difficult than it needed to be, but at the same time we needed to play in a tight game," Kramig said. "We needed the experience of having to press forward and get the game-winner and win a close game, so I was pleased with that. It was a good character reference on our team. We just need to do a better job of taking the things we work on in practice and putting them in the game. I'm seeing bits and pieces of it and I'm confident by the time we get to conference play, we'll be ready."

The RedHawks wrap-up play at the Lady Govs Invitational when they take on Western Illinois Sunday at noon ET.