Friday's MAC Field Hockey Results

Updated 10/3/2009

Friday’s Results

Miami 3, Ball State 1
Kent State 2, Central Michigan 1


Miami 3, Ball State 1
MUNCIE, Ind. - The Ball State field hockey team (2-8) fell 3-1 at against Miami (7-4) Friday in its home conference opener.  Ball State remains 0-3 in the Mid-American Conference while Miami improves to 4-0.

Even though Miami led 11 shots on goal to seven, Ball State had two more people post shots on goal than the RedHawks.  Miami led 9-4 in penalty corner opportunities, earning seven in the first period.

Both teams played even defensively throughout the first thirty minutes of action.  However, Miami found its first goal after passing the ball around in front of the cage and tipping it in for the score.  The RedHawks kept the 1-0 lead at the half, logging 12 shots.

Ball State kicked it into gear during the second period, firing nine shots; two more than MiamiKaitlan Mitchell took a shot near the edge of the arc, but Miami goalkeeper Abby Huck kicked it out of play.  Gretchen Lulow, who medically redshirted last season, found the back of the net minutes later as she scored her first career goal off a pass down the baseline from Mitchell, tying the score at one apiece.  Mitchell now leads the team with three assists this season.

The two teams continued to battle throughout the remaining 26 minutes.  Back to back defensive saves from each team prevented any scoring off breakaways.  Maura Sawicki made her first defensive save for Ball State.  But Miami regained the lead on an unassisted goal by Mary Hull late in the game.  Hull sealed it for the RedHawks, scoring a third goal, her second of the day, with five minutes remaining in regulation.  The Cardinals could not hang on as Miami took the 3-1 win.

Kent State 2, Central Michigan 1
The Central Michigan field hockey team went toe to toe for over 53 minutes with the defending Mid-American Conference champion Kent State Golden Flashes on Friday, but a pair of KSU goals sent CMU to its second straight loss, 2-1, at the CMU Field Hockey Complex.

The Chippewas drop to 3-6 on the season and 1-2 in MAC play.

A rainy day played to CMU’s defensive strengths in the first half as it was able to hold the second-ranked offense in the conference scoreless in the opening frame. Kent State did hold a 10-5 edge in shots in the first stanza, but the Chippewas held a 4-2 advantage in penalty corners.

“I thought we played a very good first half,” head coach Cristy Freese said. “We were disciplined and did a nice job of shutting them down defensively.”

Things changed in the second half as the defending conference champions began to take control of the match. The Golden Flashes pressured the Chippewa defense for the majority of the final 35 minutes.

Despite the pressure, Central’s defense continued to keep Kent State’s attack at bay until Allison Kittelberger tapped a Rachel Miller pass into a wide open net off a penalty corner with 16:50 remaining to put the Golden Flashes up, 1-0.

The MAC’s leading scorer, Debbie Bell, added an insurance tally with 2:39 left by tipping Miller’s shot off a penalty corner into the net to make it a 2-0 contest.
“I thought we panicked a little bit in the second half,” Freese said. “We saw some of the same things out of Kent State that we saw in the first half, but we overplayed them. Kent was able to generate a lot more corners in the second half. If you give a team as good as Kent State enough penalty corners, they will score and they did today. I felt that was the difference of today’s match.”

Kelly Jordan capped the scoring off a penalty corner with no time remaining to make it a 2-1 match.

Melinda Curran had another strong outing in goal for Central, stopping seven of the nine shots she faced.

The Chippewas return to the field on Saturday when they host Ohio at 1 p.m.