Friday?s MAC Women?s Soccer Results

Updated 9/19/2009

Friday’s MAC Women’s Soccer Results

Ohio 2, Morehead State 1

Central Michigan 2, Detroit 0

Ball State 4, Lipscomb 0

IUPUI 2, Eastern Michigan 1

Michigan State 2, Kent State 0

Dayton 2, Miami 1

Northern Illinois 4, Oakland 0

Toledo 3, North Colorado 0

Western Michigan 2, Wright State 1 (ot)

UC Riverside 2, Bowling Green 0


Stories courtesy of MAC Sports Information Departments


Ohio 2, Morehead State 1

ATHENS, Ohio - Erin Schwenke's second goal of the season could not have come at a better time for Ohio soccer as the freshman's game winner early in the 84th minute gave the Bobcats a 2-1 victory over Morehead State Friday at Chessa Field.


"Our forwards were more consistent today," Ohio coach Stacy Strauss said. "Over 50 percent of our shots were on goal. The second half we were able to keep them under pressure and outwork them. Our depth was key the last 10 to 15 minutes. We were able to wear them out and get to them from behind."


Coming off a hard-fought contest against Marshall its last time out, Ohio (2-4-0) came out strong early on and controlled the possession. Early shots from Schwenke (Solon, Ohio) and Kelsey Pichel (Rochester Hills, Mich.) put the Eagles' defense on their heels early. Morehead State (3-5-1) came back in a strong way and netted the first score of the contest early in the 6th minute. Jillian Birchmeier got behind Ohio's midfield and launched a rope from 22 yards out that sailed into the top right corner of the net.


The Eagles kept up their attack over the next several minutes, but the `Cats defense held strong and kept them off the board. Ohio came back and controlled most of the possession late in the first half and had a few promising opportunities to get on the board, but Morehead State's defense and a pair of nice stops from the Eagle goalkeeper managed to thwart any Green and White hopes. Morehead State held a slim 9-8 edge on shots and kept its 1-0 lead going into the break.


Ohio came out strong to start the second half and put pressure on the Eagles. The pressure paid off late in the 48th minute when the `Cats drew a foul inside the Eagle box. Senior Amy Lower (West Chester, Ohio) capitalized and fired a shot past the Morehead State keeper and into the right corner of the goal to even the count at 1-1.


The Bobcat stepped up its play even more and limited the Eagles to very few scoring opportunities throughout the rest of the half. The Eagles nearly put a second goal on the board late in the 68th minute, but Alyssa Mor Nacke's attempt sailed just barely wide of the net. Ohio put the pressure back on Morehead State over the next several minutes. Jasmine Merith (Richmond Hill, Ontario) got free deep in Eagle territory in the 84th minute, and with a pair of Morehead defenders coming at her, sent a nice touch pass over to Schwenke, who knocked it into the right corner of the net from 12 yards out. Ohio's defense held on and kept the Eagles away from the goal over the last few minutes of play to seal the `Cat win.


Ohio outshot Morehead 16-13 in the contest, with nine shots coming on goal. Pichel led the way with five shots on the day, including three on goal. Schwenke tallied four shots of her own and put two on goal to go with her second goal of the season. Lower recorded three shots, and Merith's assist was her first of the year. Jess MacLean (Loveland, Ohio) recorded five saves in goal.


The `Cats will look to complete the weekend in winning fashion when they welcome IPFW to town Sunday afternoon. First touch is set for 3 p.m. ET.


Central Michigan 2, Detroit 0

MOUNT PLEASANT ? The Central Michigan soccer team’s youth was served on Friday as CMU posted a dominant, 2-0 victory over Detroit at the CMU Soccer Complex.


Freshmen Laura Twidle and Katie Slaughter netted the Chippewas’ tallies, newcomer Bailey Brandon added an assist and freshman Stefanie Turner played a scoreless half in the victory.


Central (5-3) is now 4-0 at home and is riding a three-match winning streak heading into its Mid-American Conference schedule next week.


CMU came out guns a blazing in the first half. The Maroon and Gold outshot UD, 14-1, in the opening frame.


“I thought we played a great first half,” head coach Tom Anagnost said. “We controlled play pretty well and created a lot of scoring opportunities. We still need to do a better job finishing the opportunities we create because we had enough chances to score more than two goals today.”


The Chippewas drew first blood in the 22nd minute when Twidle found the back of the net for her fifth goal of the season. The play was set up by Brandon’s long throw-in that Valerie Prause headed to Twidle at the goalmouth as CMU took a 1-0 lead into halftime.


“Our box organization was very good on that first goal,” Anagnost said. “The players were in the right spot and it led to a nice goal.”


The Titans attacked the Chippewa defense early in the second half. However, UD only managed to generate one shot during a 10-minute span that it held a territorial advantage.


CMU got an insurance goal in the 76th minute when Slaugher’s long shot from outside the attacking box beat UD keeper Laura Hinde at the top corner to make it a 2-0 contest. The tally was the Cincinnati, Ohio native’s first collegiate goal.


Central ended the contest with a decisive, 21-5, advantage in shots while Detroit had a 2-1 edge in corner kicks.


Shay Mannino and Stefanie Turner each played a half in goal for the Chippewas. Mannino started and earned the win while Turner made two saves in the second half to preserve the shutout.


The Chippewas will travel to Athens, Ohio for their MAC opener against Ohio next Friday.


Ball State 4, Lipscomb 0

MUNCIE, Ind. - The Ball State soccer team picked up its second straight win to close out non-conference play as the Cardinals turned in a dominating effort in a 4-0 shutout over visiting Lipscomb Friday afternoon. The Cardinals claimed the four-goal victory in front of a program-record 808 fans at the BSU Soccer Field as the BSU Soccer program was celebrating of Youth Soccer Month in the Muncie community.


"Today was a great effort, especially in the second half, as we were aggressive and played attacking soccer," head coach Michael Lovett said. "We have been working on attacking all week long and it was promising to see the players translate that work into the game. We were excited to play in front of such a great crowd this afternoon and were inspired by all of the local youth players in attendance. These past two games give us great momentum heading into Mid-American Conference play next weekend."


The Cardinals (2-5-0) controlled play the entire game as they held a 23-2 advantage in shots, including a 16-1 edge in their three-goal second half. Ball State started the attack in the first half as junior forward Missy Gordon (Carmel, Ind./Marshall) ripped a shot from 25-yards out that went past Lipscomb goalkeeper Erin Zerio, but struck the cross bar in the 22nd minute.


The Cardinals continued to press and opened the scoring in the 24th minute with Gordon in the middle of the action. She broke down the left side and beat a pair of Lady Bison defenders before sending a cross into the box. Zerio came out for the ball but could not corral it and senior Patti Hoeg (Northville, Mich./Ladywood) was there to poke the loose ball into the back of the net for her first career goal.


Ball State's momentum slowed going into halftime before the Cardinals regrouped during the break and came out controlling the pace in the second half. Junior forward Jacki Eft (Fishers, Ind./Hamilton Southeastern) came within inches of the Cardinals' second goal as she ripped a shot from 20-yards out off of the cross bar in the 58th minute of action.


The Cardinals' pressure paid dividends in the 68th minute of play as they earned a corner kick. Junior defender Kristina Anderson (Hamilton, Ohio/Badin) stepped forward and sent a perfect bending kick over goalkeeper Ally Marler's head and into the side netting for her first goal of the season.


Anderson, who missed most of last season due to an injury, had a foot in the Cardinals' third goal of the contest as well as Ball State got another corner kick in the 79th minute of play. This time Anderson drove a ball to the back post where redshirt sophomore defender Tina Vannatta (Powhatan, Va./Springboro) rose up and drilled a header into the back of the net for her first goal of the season and a 3-0 BSU lead.


The Cardinals kept the attack going down the stretch as they tallied their fourth goal of the contest in the 87th minute of action. Freshman defender Brigit Reder (West Chester, Ohio/Lakota West) found some space and sent a long pass to classmate Paige Stroinski (Granger, Ind./Penn). Stroinski gathered the ball at the top of the 18-yard box and made a couple of moves to lose her defender before rocketing a shot into the far corner for her second goal of the season.


Freshman goalkeeper Nicole Wood (Strongsville, Ohio/Strongsville) tallied her second win as she played the first half and posted one save while senior goalkeeper Amy Cleeter (Aurora, Ind./South Dearborn) played a flawless second half to preserve Ball State's first shutout of the season.


The crowd of 808 fans set a Ball State soccer record for largest crowd at BSU Soccer Field, surpassing the previous mark of 759 fans September 30, 2007 against Eastern Michigan.


Ball State is off this Sunday as it prepares for Mid-American Conference play which begins next weekend. The Cardinals open league action next Friday evening when they travel to Kent State to take on the Golden Flashes.


IUPUI 2, Eastern Michigan 1

YPSILANTI, Mich. ( ? Last season, the Eagles defeated IUPUI with a thrilling last second goal on the road in Indianapolis. This year, the Jaguars returned the favor. Alicia Brock crashed the net and scored the game-winner with just six seconds remaining in double overtime, giving her team a 2-1 win and stunning host Eastern Michigan University at Scicluna Field Friday afternoon.


Not only did the game-winner come in the final seconds, but the game-tying goal in regulation found the back of the net for the Jaguars with less than a half-minute as well. Despite an evenly-played match from start to finish, it appeared the Eagles had the upper hand nearing the end of regulation. That feeling strengthened as Ashley Rodrigues netted her third goal of the season in the 83rd minute.


The senior snuck behind the defense as Carissa Wilson sent a ball her way, creating a breakaway and a one-on-one opportunity between her and Jaguar keeper, Jamie Farrell. Rodrigues faked right and slipped it inside the far left post to give the Eagles a lead with less than eight minutes remaining.


With their head coach, Chris Johnson, advising them to be patient in their efforts to tie up the game, the Jaguars took every sense of the word in the most literal of terms. With 24 seconds remaining, IUPUI’s Stephanie Hoffman was able to squeeze a through ball behind the Eagle defense to teammate Megan Hock. One touch later, the ball had gotten past EMU keeper Maggie Manville for Hock’s fifth goal of the year.


Manville and the Eagles had an impressive streak going prior to allowing that goal. As a team, it was the first goal allowed in more than 379 minutes of action. Not since their game at Michigan had they allowed a goal against, a period of time spanning over four games. For Manville, it was her first goal allowed in more than 285 minutes.


Eastern Michigan had several chances in both overtime sessions and especially the second overtime, out-shooting the Jaguars 5-3. With 20 seconds left, the Eagles were called for a foul just inside their half of the field near the center line, giving IUPUI a free kick opportunity. They packed it in tight and received a great kick that landed near the top edge of the six yard box. Manville dove to her right to deny Lisa Thomas of a goal, but Brock was right there to clean up the rebound with essentially no time left.


Both keepers made nine saves apiece while the Eagles out-shot the Jaguars, 21-19. Chelsea Detrick, who scored the game-winner in last year’s meeting with less than one second remaining, led all players with six shots on the afternoon, two of which landed on goal.


Eastern Michigan looks to begin a new streak and wrap up the non-conference portion of the schedule when they welcome in Michigan State to Scicluna Field for a 1 p.m. start Sunday. It will be a match between two regionally ranked squads as the Eagles rank 12th and the Spartans, fourth.


Michigan State 2, Kent State 0

KENT, Ohio - The Kent State women's soccer team (4-3-0) was bested by Michigan State 2-0 Friday afternoon at the KSU Soccer Field in the final non-conference contest of the 2009 campaign for the Golden Flashes.


Michigan State, which entered the week ranked fourth in the NSCAA Great Lakes Region and was receiving votes in the organization's national poll, improved to 6-0-1 with the win.


"I think we're pleased how we've prepared for conference play," said Kent State head coach Rob Marinaro. The Flashes begin Mid-American Conference play Friday, Sept. 25 at home against Ball State.


Kent State came out strong to start the contest, pressing in the first three minutes of play to create a corner kick opportunity by Kelly Heaton (Mississauga, Ontario) and the game's first shot on goal by Kellyn Flanagan (Medina, Ohio).


But Michigan State proceeded to rattle off 15 shots to close the first half, and converted in the 20th minute when Cara Freeman found Laura Heyboer at the far post for Heyboer's fifth goal of the season.


Late in the second half Kent State had an opportunity to tie the match when Jenni Stapleton (New Albany, Ohio) served a ball in from the left corner heading for Flanagan, but Michigan State's Katelin Chaklos headed the danger away in the 79th minute.


Michigan State then added an insurance goal in the 84th minute when Lauren Sinacola's corner kick found Jordan Mueller at the far corner of the goal box, where she one-timed a shot for her first goal of the year.


Kent State's defense held strong in the game, holding Lauren Hill to just one shot on goal. The senior forward entered the game ranked fourth in the NCAA in scoring. It was the first time since MSU's season opener that Hill did not register a point.


Kelly Sherwood (Strongsville, Ohio) set a career-high with nine of Kent State's 10 saves, none bigger than her one-handed stop in the 54th minute on a 20-yard free kick. Jill Flietstra made two saves for the Spartans.


Dayton 2, Miami 1

OXFORD, Ohio - The Miami women’s soccer team held a 1-0 lead midway through the second half, but two Dayton goals in the final 22 minutes allowed the Flyers to escape with a 2-1 win Friday evening at Miami Soccer Field on the team’s alumni weekend. The RedHawks’ (3-3-0) goal was just the second goal Dayton (4-0-4), who remained unbeaten with the comeback win, had allowed in eight games this season.


After the teams felt each other out in the opening minutes, Dayton put the pressure on Miami with their speed, finding space in its attacking zone, but the RedHawks’ defense held strong. The Flyers, who garnered votes in the NSCAA national poll this week, earned a trio of corner kicks in a two-minute stretch and nearly scored off the third corner but senior Mandi Bäck’s shot hit the post in the 16th minute.


Miami was not intimidated, however, and created plenty of opportunities of its own, including a shot from senior Kersta Carlson (Plymouth, Minn.) in the 21st minute that sailed just left of the goal after good ball movement created space for the midfielder. The ’Hawks’ best chance for a goal in the opening 45 minutes came in the 32nd minute when senior forward Jodi Zwingelberg’s (Elgin, Ill.) sliding shot off a cross went just right of the cage, as the two teams headed into halftime scoreless.


Dayton held a slight, 8-6 edge in shots in the first frame, but UD earned four corners to Miami’s one and put five of its eight shots on goal. Senior keeper Krista Pace (Toronto, Ont.) made all five saves, however, while the RedHawks put just one shot on target.


Miami came out aggressive in the second stanza, keeping play in the Dayton end off the whistle, which paid off for the RedHawks. In the 48th minute, freshman Jess Kodiak (Naperville, Ill.) broke the deadlock when she scored her first collegiate goal after a Miami cross was headed down by a Flyer defender, hit off the right post and caromed right to Kodiak who cleaned up the rebound with ease.


Dayton would not be outdone, however, as junior Kelly Blumenschein evened the score in the 69th minute, slotting the ball past Pace from the left side off a feed from freshman Colleen Williams. UD then kept the pressure on Miami and again found the back of the net in the 81st minute as Bäck scored her second goal of the season from just outside the six-yard box, also off a pass from Williams, who finished with two assists on the day.


The ’Hawks looked to even the match in the final nine minutes, but were unable to get a clean shot off despite repeatedly feeding the ball into the Flyer zone, as Miami fell, 2-1.


“Hanging with teams isn’t enough. We need to push through that barrier and over the top,” Miami head coach Bobby Kramig said. “I’m proud of the way we played, our commitment and what we put into the game. This team possesses so many great qualities but we’ve got to push through this. We had the game and we let it get away.”


Dayton out-shot the RedHawks, 20-10, for the match and earned seven corners to Miami’s two. Bäck and Jerica DeWolfe led UD with four shots and two shots on goal apiece, while juniors Sara Lund (Malmo, Sweden) and Julie Thompson (Glenview, Ill.) each fired two shots with one on goal for the Red and White.


Pace finished with seven saves on the evening, while freshman keeper Katherine Boone made a pair of stops for the Flyers.


“You have to give lots of credit to Dayton,” Kramig said. “They’re a good, solid team. They’re quick, they’re skillful, so credit to them, but it’s our home field, our crowd and our weekend and it needs to be our game.”


Miami finishes up its three-game home stand and non-conference play Sunday, Sept. 20, as Cleveland State comes to town for a 1 p.m. match at Miami Soccer Field. Sunday will be the first-ever meeting between Miami and CSU and will also be Senior Day. The RedHawk seniors will be honored prior to the match while returning alumni will be recognized at halftime.


Northern Illinois 4, Oakland 0
DEKALB, Ill. - The Northern Illinois women's soccer team dominated competition Friday, when goals from Lisa Maier, Kim Schmitt and Danielle Janowiak launched the Huskies to a 4-0 win over Oakland at the NIU Soccer and Track & Field Complex. Leading the Huskies (3-4-0) was Maier with two goals on the game.

"It's great to get a win at home," head women's soccer coach Carrie Barker said. "We played hard across the field. We were given opportunities to score and put them all away today."

Lisa Maier (Orland Park, IL/Sandburg) scored the first two goals of the evening for the Huskies, when she battled Oakland's goalkeeper, Whitney Snarkis, to score into an open net, giving the Huskies an early 1-0 advantage over the Grizzlies. Mo Smunt assisted Maier in the goal, her first of the season.

Maier's second goal of evening came in the 58th-minute of play when she snuck the ball past Snarkis to record her second goal of the season. The Huskies dominated the field in the second half, outshooting Oakland eight to four, to record three goals in the half.

Kim Schmitt (Homewood, IL/Homewood-Flossmoor) scored her second goal of the season, when she netted the ball off a free kick from 25 yards out in the 80th minute of play. Just minutes later, Janowiak (Woodridge, IL/Downers Grove South) battled defenders to clear a shot into the upper right corner of the net in the 89th minute of play to record he first goal of the season. Both Schmitt's and Janowiak's goals were unassisted.

"It was a great effort by the whole team," said Barker. "Everyone did their part as a team which gave us the win."

The Huskies controlled the ball the entire game, outshooting Oakland 11 to eight, while recording six cornerkicks to the Grizzlies three. Kelly Mullany (Naperville, IL/Neuqua Valley) and Nici Newquist (DeKalb, Ill./Sycamore) also recorded shots on goals in the contest, while Lindsey Curnock recorded two saves in the contest.

The Huskies will continue play at home as they face Liberty, Sunday, for a 1 p.m. contest.

Toledo 3, Northern Colorado 0

TOLEDO, OH - Toledo wrapped up its four-match home swing with a quality 3-0 victory against Northern Colorado (3-3-1) on Friday at Scott Park. With the non-conference shutout win, the Rockets improve to 4-2-1 on the season.


"I'm excited for our players," said Toledo Head Coach Brad Evans, whose team has won all four match this fall via the shutout. "This was a good win against a very talented team. Our focus heading into today's match was to do a better job finishing and to get the shutout. I think we were able to accomplish both of our goals, which is great."


UT looked like a team on a mission from the opening whistle and had four corner kicks in the initial five minutes of the contest, including a near miss that ricocheted off the head of senior Ali Leak at 1:27.


The Rockets continued to apply great pressure at the outset and had another quality scoring chance off a restart with approximately 39:42 remaining in the period. Senior Molly Cornwell struck a free kick with her left foot from about 25 yards out, but Bears' netminder Kirstin Salminen was in the proper position to knock down the hard shot and keep the match scoreless.


The home team was relentless with its attack as the half wore on and another attempt by Leak nearly found the back of the net at 17:12. The senior forward accepted a pass from a player in the midfield and was one-on-one with UNC's Salminen, but her shot was successfully cleared off the line.


The pace of the match started to slow after Leak's second shot on goal and for the ensuing 20-plus minutes neither team put a good strike on the net. That all changed though when the visitors had their best scoring chance of the period at 38:35. The Bears' Olivia Deadmond struck a free kick from about 25 yards out and the ball just slid over the crossbar and out of danger.


Toledo made one final push as the opening half was coming to an end and it paid off with huge dividends, as freshman Natalie Gaitan tallied her first collegiate goal. The Midnight Blue and Gold had the ball deep in UNC territory when sophomore Kristen Lynn made a nice play to Gaitan, who was streaking toward the net. The Bogota, Columbia native took one quick dribble and perfectly lofted a shot over the keepers' head into the far upper corner of the goal for the eventual match winner at 42:15.


Facing a 1-0 deficit, Northern Colorado began the second stanza with a flurry and nearly tied the score off the foot of JJ Wykstra at 48:20. Teammate Janelle Kramer made a run down the right side and passed the ball into the middle of UT goalbox to Wykstra, who was all alone in front of the goal. The UNC midfielder put a good shot on goal, but it was just a little too high and went over the crossbar to keep the Rockets' lead in tact.


Toledo calmed its nerves after dodging a bullet on Wykstra's near miss and doubled its lead on junior Brittany Hensler's first tally at 62:48. The Bears' defense was unable to clear the ball out of danger and Hensler was at the right place at the right time and slid a shot just under the outstretched arms of Salminen to send the UT bench into a franzy.


"I noticed two of their players were kind of screening their goalie, so I took a chance and put a shot on goal and it went it," Hensler said.


The Rockets were still not done attacking and mustered an insurance goal at 82:47 to make the final margin 3-0. Sophomore Blair Sorg made a nice play defensively and stole the ball from a Bears' player, before advancing it forward to freshman Rachael Kravitz. The Highland Heights, OH then shielded the ball with her body from the defender and quickly blasted a shot past Salminen for a three-goal difference.


UT finished the match with a slim 11-10 edge in shots, but a convincing 7-0 advantage in corner kicks. Traven played into the 88th minute and earned the victory with seven saves, while Salminen went the distance and was straddled with the setback, recording five stops.


"We talked all week about coming out strong and setting the tempo early, and I thought we did that today," Hensler said. "We put a lot of pressure on them offensively, and we were fortunate enough to produce three scores."


The Rockets return to action on Sunday, Sept. 20 when they travel to Columbus to battle No. 25 Ohio State. The opening whistle from the Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium is slated for noon.


Western Michigan 2, Wright State 1 (OT)

DAYTON, Ohio -- Junior forward Ali Jacobs netted the game-winning goal in the 92nd minute to lead the Western Michigan women’s soccer team to a 2-1 win in overtime at Wright State on Friday evening.


Jacobs settled the ball in the 18-yard box before ripping the shot in the back of the net with her right foot. The Broncos (3-2-1) had been able to battle for possession in the corner before the ball found Jacbos.


“She is a gamer,” said interim head coach Suzie Grech. “She scored a couple of great goals for us today.”


Jacbos gave the Broncos the lead in the 75th minute when Caitlin Henderson sent in a ball from 15 yards out towards the back post and she headed it in for her first goal of the season.


“It was a great service by Caitlin and great vision by Ali,” said Grech.


Wright State tied the game three minutes later on a goal by Bekah Bonny, who out-jumped a Bronco backer to head the ball in the net. The goal ended WMU’s shutout streak at 311:57, but WMU was able to extend its undefeated streak to four games.


Up until Jacobs netted her second goal of the game and second goal of the season, each goal scored by WMU was tallied by a different Bronco.


“We have a very strong group of forwards and attacking midfielders,” commented Grech. “It is very encouraging to know that they all want to score and can do so on any given night. They have so many different styles of players up top that we can go at our opponents so many different ways.”


The win is the third of the season on the road, marking the first time since 2004 that WMU has won three non-conference road games.


Western Michigan has its first home game of the season on Sunday, when they close out the non-conference season by hosting Marquette at 1 p.m. for their “Pink Game.” The Broncos will wear pink game jerseys that will be auctioned off during the game as well as selling pink Bronco soccer t-shirts. All proceeds will go to the Southwest Michigan Affiliate of the Susan G. Komen for the Cure Foundation.


UC Riverside 2, Bowling Green 0

Host UC Riverside scored once in each half to pick up a 2-0 win over the Bowling Green State University women's soccer team Friday night (Sept. 18).  The match, part of day-one action at the UCR Tournament, was held at the UCR Soccer Stadium.


With the win, the Highlanders improve to 4-2-2 on the year, and increase their unbeaten streak to six matches.  The Falcons drop to 4-4-0 on the season.


Denise Thomas scored what would prove to be the match-winning goal with 33:21 elapsed, while Jessica Cortez provided some insurance for the home side with a goal at the 78:50 mark.


"This was a disappointing result, because at times, we played some of our best soccer of the year," said Falcon head coach Andy Richards.  "It was a bit of a strange experience.


"We played so well in patches, and really took the game to Riverside.  And yet, we didn't come away with anything.  Sometimes, soccer is cruel like that, and we don't always get the results we deserve."


The Highlanders held a 21-8 advantage in shots, and had 11 shots on goal to the Falcons' six.  Jessica White picked up the shutout for the home team, making six saves.


Redshirt junior Alexa Arsenault played the first half for the Falcons, making six stops, while redshirt freshman Becca Ison made three saves in the second half.  Each BG 'keeper allowed one goal on the night.


UCR was whistled for 19 fouls on the night compared to eight for BGSU.


Richards and the Falcon coaching staff used a total of 21 different players in the match.


"We conceded goals at bad times in the game, when we actually had some momentum," said Richards.  "The second one, in particular, killed the game off when we were looking to have a strong finish.


"The team is still finding itself, but I am happy with the steps we are taking.  Even though we didn't get the result tonight, we are making progress as we prepare for the upcoming conference season.  We will give it a go again on Sunday."


The Falcons will remain in Riverside to prepare for that Sunday (Sept. 20) match.  BGSU will conclude play in the UCR Tournament with a match vs. UC Irvine, beginning at 10:00 a.m. local time (1:00 p.m. Eastern).  UCI defeated Utah Valley State, 2-0, in Friday's first game.