Wednesday's MAC Men's Soccer Results

Updated 11/4/2010
Wednesday's MAC Men's Soccer Results
Akron 1, Michigan State 0
Bowling Green 0, IUPUI 0 (2OT)

Game stories courtesy of MAC Media Relations Departments

Akron 1, Michigan State 0
EAST LANSING, Mich. -After suffering its first loss of the season, The No. 2 University of Akron men's soccer team got back to basics with a convincing 1-0 victory at Michigan State Wednesday afternoon at Old College Field.

The Zips (15-1-1), who held on to their No. 1 NCAA RPI ranking this week despite the setback at Cleveland State, dominated possession and attacked the Spartan defense relentlessly from the opening whistle and posted a 14-3 advantage in shots for the contest.

A long run by defender Zarek Valentin set up a combination play by Darlington Nagbe and Darren Mattocks in the 58th minute that proved to be the difference in the game. Nagbe crossed the ball from the right side of the box to Mattocks, who beat MSU goalkeeper Avery Steinlage from 10 yards out for his team-leading 12th goal of the season.
When MSU (11-6-0) did have possession it was unable to string many passes together and had just one shot on frame, which came in the first half off a corner kick. The Spartans, who entered the match with an RPI rating of 12, attempted just one shot in the second half.

The Zips created multiple scoring chances in the first half but couldn't find the net. Michael Nanchoff took a long-ranged strike from the top of the box early in the game that forced a diving stop by Steinlage. Nagbe fed Mattocks a through ball on the right wing minutes later but Steinlage slid in to make the stop once again.

Akron will next conclude the regular season with a Mid-American Conference game at Hartwick Saturday at 7 p.m. (ET)

Bowling Green 0, IUPUI 0 (2OT)
INDIANAPOLIS-The Bowling Green State University men's soccer team fired a season-high 26 shots on Wednesday night (Nov. 3), but could not get a shot into the IUPUI net as the Falcons and Jaguars battled to a 0-0, double-overtime draw.  The non-conference match was held at Kuntz Stadium.

With the result, the Falcons are now 5-8-3 on the season, while the Jags are 9-7-2.

The Brown and Orange also set a season standard with a total of nine shots on goal, but IUPUI goalkeepers Alex Mannen and Tyler Keever combined to stop all nine.  At the other end of the pitch, Falcon junior Miguel Rosales made three saves to earn his sixth shutout of the year.

BGSU had a 26-17 advantage in total shots, and the aforementioned 9-3 margin in shots on goal.  The Falcons had several strong chances at the offensive end.

"It was a strong performance tonight, on both sides of the ball," said BGSU head coach Eric Nichols.  "We had good possession, created a lot of quality attacks and had lots of different guys getting opportunities."

BG dominated the first half, keeping the ball in IUPUI's end for much of the opening 45 minutes and outshooting the hosts by a 7-1 count over the first 40.  The Jags showed some life in the final five minutes of the period, including a well-struck bullet from Weston Hawkins, but Rosales was equal to the task as time wound down.

The Falcons had an 11-6 advantage in second-half shots, with a number of dangerous chances.  Freshman Ryan Comiskey blasted a restart from 35 yards out, forcing Keever to make the save just below the crossbar.  Freshman Sam galloway nearly netted the winner in the 76th minute, but saw his rolling attempt go less than a foot wide of the left goalpost.

The Jags' Perez Agaba got free in the first overtime at the top of the 18-yard box, but could not get the ball back to his right foot for a strike.  In the second OT, the home team's final good look of the night came in the 106th minute, as Yogi Snider drilled a shot through traffic off of a short corner kick, but Rosales made his final save of the night.

Mere seconds later, senior Dusko Topolic -- who led all players with seven shots, including five on goal -- hit a shot on a quick counterattack, but it was right into the stomach of Keever, who made the stop.  Then, with only 1:40 remaining in the match, sophomore Zach Lemke's rocket from 25 yards out smacked off the crossbar and back onto the field.

"With a number of quality opportunities, including hitting the crossbar in overtime, we probably were unfortunate not to get the win," said Nichols.  "But, the guys recognize that it was a good performance tonight.  The spirit, energy and execution were right; we were just slightly off.

"Now, we turn our attention to our last conference game, and we are excited about heading down to Florida to take on FAU."

The Falcons now prepare for the final regular-season match, Saturday night's (Nov. 6) contest at Florida Atlantic University.  The winner of that contest will qualify for the Mid-American Conference Tournament, while the losing team will see the 2010 season come to an end.