Wednesday's MAC Men's Soccer Results

Updated 9/30/2010

Wednesday's MAC Men's Soccer Results
Northern Illinois 0, DePaul 0 (2OT)
Akron 2, Ohio State 2 (2OT)

Game stories courtesy of MAC Media Relations Departments

Northern Illinois 0, DePaul 0 (2OT)
CHICAGO - The Northern Illinois men's soccer team outshot DePaul 27-11, but could not find the net in a scoreless tie, Wednesday.

The match is the third consecutive shutout and fourth in the last five matches for the NIU defense. Northern Illinois went to 4-2-2 on the season, and are unbeaten in their last five contests.

"We always pride ourselves on the quality of our defending, so the fact that we limited them to very few quality chances is a credit," NIU head coach Eric Luzzi said.

The Huskies tallied the shutout despite being without regular starter Francis Otira, who sat the match with injury.

"We were missing Francis," Luzzi said. "The fact the Mike Mascitti stepped in and did a very good job is a testament to our depth."

The Huskies pelted Blue Demon goal keeper Joe Ferrari with shot after shot, including seven on target and several more that went just wide of the posts. Mino Kayser and Finn Jor each totaled five shots, while Gael Rivera fired four tries with two on goal.

"You can't create 27 shots and not score a goal," Luzzi said. "On the one hand, it is good that we created 27 shots because we really only played 65 minutes of soccer."

Luzzi counts only 65 minutes of play because he considered the first half sub-par for an NIU team.

"The first half, by our standards was very poor," Luzzi said. "Credit to the guys for the spirit and intensity the displayed in the second half."

Despite coming out flat, NIU outshot DePaul (3-4-2) in every period and controlled the run of play for nearly all of the 110 minutes. The advantage in shots included a 13-6 margin in the second half and a 9-1 tally in the overtime periods.

It is only the third career tie for Luzzi, and the first against a team not ranked in the top-25. His other draws came at No. 1 North Carolina in 2009, and at No. 19 Portland to open 2010.

The 27 shots were the most by an NIU team since Sept. 26, 2008, when the Huskies fired 35 shots against Florida Atlantic. The Huskies won that game 4-2. It is also by far the most of the season. NIU tallied 15 shots against both Gonzaga and Cleveland State.

The Huskies return home to open Mid-American Conference play against Hartwick, Saturday, Oct. 2 at the NIU Soccer and Track & Field Complex. The match starts at 1 p.m.

Akron 2, Ohio State 2 (2OT)
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The No. 1 University of Akron men's soccer team played No. 19 Ohio State to a 2-2 tie Wednesday night at Jesse Owens Memorial Field in front of a record-setting crowd of 7,255 fans.

The Zips (6-0-1) led 2-1 after what seemed to be a game-winner by true freshman Darren Mattocks in the 68th minute, but the Buckeyes (5-2-2) scored a short-handed goal with two seconds left in regulation to send the game into overtime. During a scramble in front of the net, Matt Gold crossed the ball to David Tiemstra, who scored the equalizer for OSU.

The Zips, who had the chance to set an NCAA record Wednesday night, saw their consecutive scoreless game streak come to a close in the first half.

The Buckeyes, who didn't have a lot of scoring opportunities in the first 45 minutes, made the most of one in the 30th when Chris Hegngi gobbled up a loose ball in the box and found Austin McAnena, who fired far back post to give OSU a 1-0 lead.

The goal was the first allowed by UA all season and snapped a string of 1,140 scoreless minutes. Akron entered the game with 11 consecutive shutouts, dating back to the 2009 season, which matched an NCAA record shared by Furman (2002) and Virginia (2009).

Michael Nanchoff netted the equalizer on a penalty kick in the 38th minute and Mattocks put Akron ahead 2-1 in the 68th for what seemed to be the game-winner. But despite being a man short after Konrad Warzycha drew a red card in the 52nd minute, Ohio State didn't let up got scored the improbable game-tying goal.

The teams felt each other out in the game's opening minutes but the Zips quickly began to lock the Buckeyes into their third of the field with four shots on goal and five corner kicks in the opening period.

UA had a couple of prime scoring opportunities in the 17th and 18th minute.

Darlington Nagbe initiated the first sequence with a run through the middle of the Ohio State defense and passed the ball off to Mattocks. Mattocks then left the ball for Kofi Sarkodie, who fired a shot from 10 yards out that was deflected nicely by OSU keeper Matt Lampson and out of bounds.

Akron then appeared to take an early lead in the next minute when Scott Caldwell lobbed the ball into Nagbe, who banged a shot off the crossbar and into the left-hand corner of the net. The goal was negated, however, due to an off-sides call.

After OSU took a brief 1-0 lead, the Zips drew even in the 38th minute after Nagbe was brought down from close range.

The Zips came out firing too start the second half with four shots, three on goal, in the first five minutes and continued to control the ball for much of the game.

The Zips will next host Mid-American Conference opponent Florida Atlantic at the newly renovated Lee Jackson Field Friday at 5:30 p.m. (ET)