Saturday's MAC Men's Soccer Results

Updated 10/30/2010
Saturday's MAC Men's Soccer Results
Western Michigan 2, Hartwick 1
Cleveland State 2, Akron 1
Northern Illinois 1, Bowling Green 0

Game stories courtesy of MAC Media Relations Departments

Western Michigan 2, Hartwick 1
KALAMAZOO, Mich.- Freshman Derek Schrauben and sophomore Kai Mendes each scored a goal to lift Western Michigan past Hartwick, 2-1, Saturday at the WMU Soccer Complex. Improving to 8-7-2 on the season and 3-2-0 in conference play, the Broncos secured a bid in the upcoming Mid-American Conference Tournament semifinals.

"It was a very important victory for us," commented Bronco head coach Stu Riddle. "We learned from Wednesday (a 2-0 loss to Northern Illinois) and managed to get the win in difficult conditions. I am proud of the lads that we have secured a spot in the MAC semis, but its important they realize the job is just beginning."

A scoreless tie at the half, Schrauben broke the deadlock with his first collegiate goal in the 53rd minute. Kai Mendes played a corner from the right and Darren Jones got a head on it on the backside. Shane Lyons flicked the ball on and Schrauben volleyed it home for a 1-0 Bronco lead.

Schrauben also assisted WMU's second goal, scored by Mendes less than two minutes later at 54:29. Mendes beat the keeper right from 10 yards out for his fifth goal of the season.

Hartwick kept things interesting with a goal in the 66th minute, as Michael Cunningham finished a loose ball off a corner kick. The Broncos held on to win however, their first win in seven tries against Hartwick since the Hawks entered the conference in 2007.

Freshman Sean Lewis recorded the win in goal for the Broncos, making two saves. WMU outshot Hartwick, 18-7.

There were nine yellow cards issued in the game and one red card (Hartwick) late in the second half. Western Michigan's two goals gives the Broncos 30 for the season, passing last year's total of 29.

WMU concludes the regular season at Buffalo Friday, Nov. 5. With a win, the Broncos would clinch the No. 2 seed behind Akron.

Cleveland State 2, Akron 1
CLEVELAND - For the first time since 2008, The No. 1 University of Akron men's soccer team was defeated during the regular run of play, suffering a 2-1 setback at Cleveland State Saturday afternoon at Krenzler Field.

The loss was the first of the year for the Zips, who fell to 14-1-1 overall, and their first on the road during the regular season since a 1-0 defeat at New Mexico on Sept. 12, 2008.

"Cleveland State wanted it more today," said UA head coach Caleb Porter. "We didn't show up and we didn't do any of the things we have done to win so many games over the last several years. Winning is a byproduct of doing things right and we didn't do things right today. Our normal approach and mentality weren't there for whatever reason and now we have to suffer the consequences of losing and feel the disappointment that goes along with it."

The Vikings (8-9-0) scored two second-half goals in a six-minute span to pull off the upset on a gray, windy day in front of 1,679 fans. CSU's Jordan Hart delivered the decisive blow in the 85th minute, just two minutes after Michael Nanchoff had pulled the Zips even with a penalty kick.

Akron's bid for a second consecutive unbeaten regular season season ended despite doubling up Cleveland State on shots, 12-6.

"Looking at the big picture, this might be exactly what we needed to get ready for the postseason," Porter said. "But it will depend on how this team responds and what they learned today. Our goals are still ahead of us and the next game against Michigan State (Wednesday) will show just how hungry we are to achieve them. It's time for everyone to take ownership now. Not just a couple guys but everyone for every game from here on out.

"If that happens, I'm confident no one can stop us from getting where we want to go. I'm looking forward to seeing how bad they want it and what everyone will do to contribute as we enter the most important phase of the season."

The Zips had a number of scoring chances in the first half but couldn't find the net against a Vikings team that was firmly entrenched into their third of the field.

Anthony Ampaipitakwong had UA's first scoring opportunity in the 10th minute with a mid-range strike from straight on that was stopped by CSU goalkeeper Brad Stuver, who finished with five saves.

Stuver was there to make another save in the 19th minute, thwarting a well-orchestrated sequence that saw Darlington Nagbe split two defenders and leave the ball for Darren Mattocks. Mattocks, who was streaking down the middle of the field, and Stuver, who came off his line, both converged on the ball. In the end, Stuver slid in and smothered Mattocks' chip shot.   

Nagbe found Mattocks again on the right wing in the 31st minute. The Jamaican striker, who was one-on-one with the keeper, attempted to go far post but his blast sailed wide left.

It was a much more balanced second half with both teams threatening to score. Cleveland State, which was noticeably gaining confidence as the scoreless match continued, finally got on the board in the 79th minute when Caleb Eastham crossed the ball to Aslinn Rodas, who scored from 18 yards.

The Zips' three-game road swing continues at No. 23 Michigan State Wednesday. The Zips and Spartans will kick off at 3 p.m.

Northern Illinois 1, Bowling Green 0
DeKALB, Ill. - In his last home game as a Huskie, senior Juan Hoyos gave Northern Illinois men's soccer fans something to remember him by. With 4:23 left in a 0-0 tie against Mid-American Conference rival Bowling Green, Hoyos pounded a cross from Gael Rivera into the back of the net to lift NIU to a 1-0 Senior Day victory, Saturday.

"Bowling Green is a program that is much improved from the past few years," NIU head coach Eric Luzzi said. "We had a fair amount of the ball, but they limited our good chances and made it difficult on us."

The match's only score came as Northern Illinois earned a thrown-in deep in Falcon territory. NIU players crowded the box, awaiting a long throw from Brad Horton, who threw the ball short to Rivera, who was left unmarked just outside the box. Rivera drove a ball far post where Hoyos got on the end of it for the game-winning goal.

"Even though we couldn't find a breakthrough in the first half, or in the first 60 minutes, first 70 minutes, I thought our guys did well not to get frustrated," Luzzi said.

The second-year head coach was especially pleased to see Hoyos net the game-winner on Senior Day.

"I couldn't be more pleased for Juan to get the goal," he said. "It was a finisher's goal - he found a way to finish from a tight angle, with pressure coming, on a driven ball."

Northern Illinois improved to 8-6-2, guaranteeing its sixth .500 or better season in the last seven years. The Huskies are 2-4 in Mid-American Conference play. Bowling Green fell to 5-7-2 overall and 2-3-0 in league action.

The Huskies controlled the majority of play, tallying 18 shots to the Falcons' eight. NIU also had four corner kicks to BGSU's one.

In addition to Hoyos, three other Huskies celebrated Senior Day. Midfielders Engebreth Faerden and Luis Mojica played in their last game at the NIU Soccer and Track & Field Complex, as did fifth-year senior and 2008 Academic All-American Kyle Knotek.

"We told our guys anything less than win would be unacceptable, considering all those guys have given to our program," Luzzi said. "The absolute least the rest of us in the program could do to honor those guys was get a victory."

The shutout was the Huskies' eighth on the season, tying for the most in a year since 2006, when NIU recorded a school-record 14 en route to the second round of the NCAA Tournament.

The Huskies conclude their regular season at Milwaukee, Thursday, Nov. 4, in the teams' annual battle for the Lewang Cup.