Wednesday's MAC Men's Soccer Results

Updated 10/21/2010

Wednesday's MAC Men's Soccer Results
Michigan State 2, Bowling Green 1
Valparaiso 4, Western Michigan 0

Game stories courtesy of MAC Media Relations Departments

Michigan State 2, Bowling Green 1
BOWLING GREEN, Ohio - The Bowling Green State University men's soccer team had nationally-ranked Michigan State University back on their collective heels for much of Wednesday afternoon's (Oct. 20) contest, but in the end the Spartans were able to escape with a 2-1 win.  The non-conference match was held at BGSU's Cochrane Field.

With the win, MSU improves to 11-3-0 on the season.  The Spartans entered the game ranked as high as 10th in the country in the national polls.  The Falcons drop to 5-6-2 overall.

Senior Dusko Topolic gave the Falcons a 1-0 lead with a goal nearly two-thirds into the match, but the Spartans got goals from Brent Rosendall in the 66th minute and Rubin Bega in the 78th.

MSU had a narrow 14-10 advantage in shot attempts, putting five shots on goal to the Falcons' two.  State goalkeeper Avery Steinlage made one save on the day, while BGSU junior Miguel Rosales had three stops at the other end.

The Falcons held a 5-3 advantage in shots in the opening period, and the first shot of the match did not come until nearly 10 minutes were gone.  Falcon junior Max Weston hit a corner kick that found the head of classmate Tanner Fink, but Fink's shot went over the goal.

BGSU looked to have a scoring chance with just over 17 minutes gone, as freshman Sam Galloway took the ball through the center circle and played the ball out wide to sophomore Zach Lemke.  As Lemke looked to be a defender down the right side of the pitch, a foul was called away from the ball on a BG player, giving the Spartans a free kick.

MSU's first shot did not come until nearly 20 minutes into the match, when Rosales easily saved Bega's effort.

With 12 minutes left in the half, Mark Barone took a free kick for the Spartans, and hit a shot that curved around the wall and sailed toward the far (left) goalpost, but Rosales was there to gather it in.

BG had several chances to break the scoreless tie in the final minutes of the first half.  With just over two minutes remaining, a Falcon midfielder played a ball toward the center of the pitch, where a Spartan defender looked poised to knock the ball away.  The MSU player failed to trap the ball, however, and it squirted past him and toward Falcon junior Colin Armstrong.  Armstrong, not expecting the ball to come to him, got a boot on the ball, but was unable to settle it, and Steinlage gathered it in.

Arguably BGSU's best chance of the half came in the final seconds.  Freshman Jacob Eganhouse hit a corner kick with 37 seconds remaining in the period.  The ball was cleared out of the box, but Eganhouse tracked it down and hit a short diagonal ball to Fink in the penalty box.  The Falcon junior rushed his shot a bit, and his shot was wide left.  The teams went to the half knotted at nil-nil.

After being outshot by that aforementioned 5-3 count in the first half, the Spartans had an 11-5 advantage in the second period.  With just under seven minutes gone in the final period, Bega ripped a long shot that whizzed just over the crossbar.

The Falcons countered, however, with a quality shot just over a minute later.  Freshman Ryan Comiskey, with his back to the goal, took a pass from sophomore Joey D'Agostino.  Comiskey, from approximately 18 yards out, hit a turnaround shot that had both force and movement.  It was all Steinlage could do to parry the shot, as the two-time All-Big Ten Conference goalkeeper gave up a long rebound.  But, a Spartan player was first to the ball, and cleared it out of bounds.

With just under 31 minutes remaining in the second half, the Falcons drew first blood.  BGSU won the ball in the MSU end of the park, and Weston knocked a short pass to his left, where Fink was waiting.  Fink's low shot eluded Steinlage and the MSU defenders, and the shot rang off the post.

The rebound came to Topolic in the center of the box.  The senior tri-captain settled the ball and, from approximately 12 yards out, blasted a shot into the lower right-hand corner of the goal.  Fink and Weston had assists on the goal, which came at the 59:13 mark.

Just under six minutes later, though, a BG miscue led to the tying goal.  A giveaway in the defensive end left Rosendall with only Rosales to beat.  The Falcon goalie charged Rosendall and, near the top of the box, got a piece of the ball.  But, Rosendall was able to maintain possession, firing a shot from 15 yards out.  A Falcon defender got a boot on the ball near the goal, but was unable to stop it from crossing the line.  Rosendall's unassisted goal came at 65:10.

Midway through the period, a crossing ball came to MSU's Cyrus Saydee at the left corner of the box.  Saydee fired a shot towad the far post, but Rosales made a diving save.

Sixteen minutes remained in the period when Domenic Barone saw the ball deflect to him about 20 yards from goal.  Barone blasted a shot, but the volley try went high.  Just over a minute later, Barone had back-to-back shots blocked by the Falcon defense.

With 12-and-a-half minutes remaining, BGSU was called for a foul, about 25 yards from goal.  Bega took the free kick, and his hard shot curved into the upper left corner of the goal.  MSU had the lead at the 77:39 mark.

BGSU had back-to-back corner kicks around the seven-minute mark.  Off of the first corner kick, freshman Matt Griesinger served a ball into the box, and a Falcon player got a head on it, nodding the ball to the left.  But, an MSU defender knocked the ball out of play for the second corner kick.  The Spartans were able to clear that corner kick out of the danger area.

In the final minutes, one final BGSU surge into the offensive end of the field was stymied by an offside call, and the Spartans were able to hang on for the win.

Bega led all played with five shot attempts on the day, putting two on goal.  Domenic Barone had three shots off the bench for the visitors.  For the Falcons, Fink and Topolic had three shots apiece.

The Falcons are idle from competition for a week, heading to Ann Arbor next Wednesday (Oct. 27) for a game against the University of Michigan.  That match, which will begin at 7:00 p.m., is the first of four consecutive road games to end the regular season for the Brown and Orange.

Valparaiso 4, Western Michigan 0
VALPARAISO, Ind.- Western Michigan (7-5-2) fell in non-conference action Wednesday on the road at Valparaiso, 4-0.

Traveling to No. 1 Akron on Saturday for conference play, Western Michigan opted to play a different lineup in each half against the out of league Crusaders. A total of 21 different Broncos played in the game and only three saw action in both halves. Sophomore Cody Camp and freshman Sean Lewis split time in goal.

Valparaiso (7-6-2) caught WMU on the counter attack and Camp too far off his line in the first half to take a 1-0 lead. The Crusaders played the ball out quickly following a Bronco free kick and Zack Stivers chipped a shot over the top of Camp from 25 yards out.

Valpo poured on three more goals in the second half to hand WMU its second largest loss margin of the season. Adrian Ortiz scorched a ball just inside the left post in the 66th minute. Stivers scored his second goal of the game on a breakaway in the 73rd minute. Guy Shabtay notched the fourth goal of the game just over a minute later.

Western Michigan led in shots (6-5) and corners (5-0) in the first half, but Valparaiso controlled the second, 6-4 on shots and 2-1 on corners. Camp and Lewis each made one save.

In a battle of the MAC unbeatens, Western Michigan (2-0-0 MAC) takes on the No. 1 Zips (12-0-1, 4-0-0 MAC) Saturday evening in Akron at 7:30 p.m.