Wednesday's MAC Field Hockey Result

Updated 9/16/2010
Wednesday's MAC Field Hockey Result
UC Davis 2, Missouri State 1 (2OT)

Game story courtesy of Missouri State Media Relations Department

UC Davis 2, Missouri State 1 (2OT)
SPRINGFIELD, Mo. - The Field Hockey Bears' inability to capitalize on numerous scoring opportunities came back to haunt when a UC Davis goal in the 100th minute handed them a heartbreaking, double overtime loss, 2-1 at Plaster Field.

The Bears (2-4) looked to be on their way to a third win of the season, but the Aggies (1-3) and Mother Nature refused to cooperate. Despite firing 16 shots on goal, seven coming in overtime, and earning 13 penalty corners to the Aggies' six, MSU lost its second straight game, this one amid a 50-minute weather delay.

The Aggies earned their first win of the year the hard way, with 99:12 minutes of play. Only 48 seconds away from heading into a stroke-off, Amanda Marinac scored her first goal of the season when she took a pass from Lydia Brambila on the left wing and snuck a shot past goalkeeper Steph Anderson and into the right corner of the cage.

After 70 minutes and a 1-1 tie forced the extra sessions, the overtimes brought a fast-paced, action-filled affair. The seven-on-seven play opened up the game for the offense's to make their moves, and the Bears did just that. Casey Bayliss (Jr., Bathurst, NSW, Australia), Sarah Cusick (Jr., San Diego, Calif.) and company kept the pressure on the Aggies, but MSU could not find the back of the cage. Twice the Bears had multiple shots off rebounds in front of the goal and failed to score. Anderson (So., Pittsburgh, Pa.) made two impressive saves on lofted shots to keep the Bears in it. All that went for naught when Marinac scored.

Freshman Catrina Schmidt's second goal of the season gave the Bears a 1-0 in the game's ninth minute. The St. Louis, Mo., native was the benefactor of the Hillary Lawless (Fr., St. Louis, Mo.) ball-handling clinic she demonstrated after stealing an errant Aggie pass. Lawless split two defenders down the right side and from the corner made a centering pass to Schmidt. Schmidt, four yards out, did not hesitate and beat the goalie with a shot to the left corner of the cage.  

Then the weather took over with lightning, rain and strong winds halting play with 25:59 to play in the first half. When the lightning stopped, it would be UC Davis to strike next. Marinac's long pass in the middle of the field found Nadia Namdari, who scored from 10 yards away in the 15th minute.

The teams played scoreless field hockey from there and went to their first overtimes of the year.

The Aggies now lead the all-time series 2-0. The Bears take to the road for Sunday's, Sept. 19, match at Indiana.