May 14, 2005
Stort courtesy of Ball State Unioversity Athletic Media Relations
In its sixth NCAA Championship Tournament appearance - the most of any Mid-American Conference school - the Ball State men's tennis squad came up short in a 4-0 decision versus No. 18 Florida State Saturday morning at the 2005 NCAA Men's Tennis Regionals in Lexington, Ky.
The doubles battle began when the match was moved indoors to the Hilary J. Boone Tennis Complex. The Seminoles came out strong, initially posting an 8-3 win at the No. 1 slot where Chris Westerhof and Jeff Groslimond took down BSU senior Matt Laramore and junior Tony Epkey. A few minutes later, FSU posted its second doubles win to claim the doubles point at the No. 2 position. Jonathas Sucupira and Chip Webb defeated Ball State junior Patrick Thompson and freshman Jan Polhamus 8-4.
The No. 2 singles match was the first to conclude with Florida State's Ytai Abougzir securing a 6-3, 6-1 win over Epkey. Senior Paul Newman battled FSU's Groslimond at the No. 2 slot, but came up short 6-3, 7-5. The decisive match came at the No. 4 position, where senior Klint Knable fell to FSU's Westerhof 6-4, 6-2.
In the No. 1 position, Laramore was in the midst of an impressive battle versus 26th-ranked Mat Cloer before the match was suspended in the third set. The BSU senior lost the first set 6-3, came back for a 6-1 win in the second set and was down 6-5 in the third. Thompson was ahead of Sucupira 2-1 in the first set at the No. 5 slot.
Ball State concluded its 2005 campaign with a 20-9 overall record. The Cardinals captured their 18th regular-season MAC Championship after posting a 5-0 mark in league action and won their 16th MAC Tournament Championship. Additionally, head coach Bill Richards reached the 500-win plateau and earned his 13th MAC Coach of the Year honor.
Florida State 4, Ball State 0
1. Westernhof/Groslimond (FSU) def. Laramore/Epkey (BSU) - 8-3
2. Abougzir/Cloer (FSU) vs. Newman/Knable (BSU) - DNF
3. Sucupira/Webb (FSU) def. Thompson/Polhamus (BSU) - 8-4
Order of finish: 1, 3
1. Matt Laramore (BSU) vs. No. 26 Mat Cloer (FSU) - DNF
2. Ytai Abougzir (FSU) def. Tony Epkey (BSU) - 6-3, 6-1
3. Jeff Groslimond (FSU) def. Paul Newman (BSU) - 6-3, 7-5
4. Chris Westerhof (FSU) def. Klint Knable (BSU) - 6-4, 6-2
5. Patrick Thompson (BSU) vs. Jonathas Sucupira (FSU) - DNF
6. Mike Heule (BSU) vs. Chip Webb (FSU) - DNF
Order of finish: 2, 3, 4