TOLEDO, Ohio - Top seeds Ball State and Western Michigan both advanced in their respective semifinal matches Friday afternoon, setting up a championship tilt between the two squads at the University of Toledo's Varsity Courts on Saturday. Ball State blanked Northern Illinois 4-0, while the Broncos upended the host Rockets (4-0).
Ball State claimed the day's opening doubles point in dominating fashion. The No. 2 tandem of Tony and Jarred Epkey defeated NIU's David Katz and Jimmy Chu by an 8-1 score, and the Cardinal No. 3 twosome of Patrick Thompson and Joe Vallee followed with an identical 8-1 triumph over Adam Ford and Diego Zegarra Ballon. The first flight match was abandoned after the point was clinched for Ball State.
In singles play, Ball State's No. 1 player Matt Baccarani led things off with a 6-2, 7-5 win over Brian Livingston, while Thompson ousted Katz (7-6, 6-1) at No. 4. Ball State's sixth singles performer Danny Vidal clinched the shutout with a 6-1, 6-2 win over Chu. Each the No. 2, 3 and 5 matches were abandoned before completion.
Facing a charged up Toledo squad, Western Michigan had to fight for two wins in doubles play to claim the point. At No. 1, Toledo's Mohammed Al Nabhani and Tony Tran defeated WMU's Brady Crosby and Bryan Norville, 8-5. The Broncos' Jose Orozco and Alex Birchmeier claimed an 8-3 win over Brian Rager and Travis Curran at No. 2, while the twosome of Jeff French and Tim Bradshaw tallied an identical 8-3 triumph over Jared Miller and Wade Ward.
In singles, Bradshaw led off the top flight with a 6-1, 6-0 win over Al Nabhani, and Crosby followed with a 6-3, 6-3 triumph over Tran. Birchmeier clinched the match for the Broncos with a 6-3, 7-5 win over Toledo's Josh Moran. The No. 3, 4 and 6 singles flights were abandoned.
Saturday's championship match is slated to begin at 1 p.m.
April 28, 2006
Ball State 4, Northern Illinois 0
1. Matt Baccarani/Joe Epkey (BSU) led Brian Livingston/Alex Friesen (NIU) 7-3 (abandoned)
2. Tony Epkey/Jarred Epkey (BSU) def. David Katz/Jimmy Chu (NIU) 8-1
3. Patrick Thompson/Joe Vallee (BSU) def. Adam Ford/Diego Zegarra Ballon (NIU) 8-1
1. Matt Baccarani (BSU) def. Brian Livingston 6-2, 7-5
2. Joe Epkey (BSU) vs. Alex Friesen 6-7 (5), 6-1 (Abandoned)
3. Tony Epkey (BSU) vs. Adam Ford 6-7, 6-3 (abandoned)
4. Patrick Thompson (BSU) def. David Katz 7-6 (1), 6-1
5. Jarrod Epkey (BSU) led Diego Zegarra-Ballon 1-6, 6-1, 4-2 (abandoned)
6. Danny Vidal (BSU) def. Jimmy Chu 6-1, 6-2
Western Michigan 4, Toledo 0
1. Mohammed Al Nabhani/Tony Tran (UT) def. Brady Crosby/Bryan Norville 8-5
2. Jose Orozco/Alex Birchmeier (WMU) def. Brian Rager/Travis Curran 8-3
3. Jeff French/Tim Bradshaw (WMU) def. Jared Miller/Wade Ward 8-3
1. Tim Bradshaw (WMU) def. Mohammed Al Nabhani 6-1, 6-0
2. Brady Crosby (WMU) def. Tony Tran 6-3, 6-3
3. Jose Orozco (WMU) led Jared Miller 6-4, 5-2 (abandoned)
4. Kevin Hayward (WMU) led Chris Clark 7-5, 4-5 (abandoned)
5. Alex Birchmeier (WMU) def. Josh Moran 6-3, 7-5
6. Jeff French (WMU) led Travis Curran 6-0, 6-6 (abandoned)
Story to follow...