April 27, 2006
TOLEDO, Ohio -- Fourth-seeded Northern Illinois and the host Rockets (No. 3) both advanced to the Mid-American Conference men's tennis semifinal round here at Toledo's Varsity Courts Thursday afternoon.
The Rockets ousted IPFW easily, claiming a 4-0 triumph. The doubles tandems of Brian Rager and Travis Curran (No. 1) and Jared Miller/Wade Ward (No. 3) collected respective 8-2 and 8-1 pro set decisions, abandoning the No. 2 doubles match by clinching the point.
In singles play, Tran won the first singles match over IPFW's Nabil Mourad Filho, 6-3, 6-1, to get Toledo started. The Rockets would need wins in just two more flights to claim the match, and received complete decisions from Curran (6-0, 6-0 over IPFW's Nathan Jones) and Cristobal Toral, who surrendured just one game in the 6-0, 6-1 decision.
In the ensuing match, Northern Illinois had to grind out tough matches in both doubles and singles, but still blanked Buffalo, 4-0. The NIU No. 1 doubles tandem of Brian Livingston and Alex Friesen claimed an 8-3 win over the Bulls' Yules Hadisbroto and Octavian Stane. At No. 2, the Huskies' David Katz and Jimmy Chu defeated Matt Kennedy and Nikesh Singh Panthlia , 8-4, and the No. 3 twosome of Adam Ford and Diego Zegarra-Ballon boasted an 8-5 win over Mike Rockman and Albert Alant.
In the singles portion of the match, NIU third singles performer Adam Ford defeated Yules Hadisbroto by a count of 6-2, 7-6. The Huskies' David Katz (No. 4) claimed an ensuing 6-2, 6-1 win over Stane, and Chu clinched the NIU singles point with a 6-1, 7-5 win over Alant. The remaining singles matches were abandoned.
Semifinal action will begin Friday at 10 a.m. The Rockets advance to face second-seeded Western Michigan, and the Huskies will play top-seeded Ball State. Both WMU and BSU received byes in the first round with the top two regular season records.
#3 Toledo 4, #6 IPFW 0
1. Brian Rager/Travis Curran (UT) def. Carlos Gonzalez/Arturo Salgado (IPFW) 8-2
2. Tony Tran/Chris Clark (UT) led Nathan Jones/Daniel Jackson (IPFW) 5-4 (abandoned)
3. Jared Miller/Wade Ward (UT) def. Nabil Mourad Filho/Tony Mitson (IPFW) 8-1
1. Tony Tran (UT) def. Nabil Mourad Filho (IPFW) 6-3, 6-1
2. Jared Miller (UT) led Carlos Gonzalez (IPFW) 6-1 (abandoned)
3. Chris Clark (UT) led Hermann Kuschke (IPFW) 6-2, 4-1
4. Josh Moran (UT) led Arturo Salgado (IPFW) 6-3, 2-1
5. Travis Curran (UT) def. Nathan Jones (IPFW) 6-0, 6-0
6. Cristobal Toral (UT) def. Daniel Jackson (IPFW) 6-0, 6-1
#5 Northern Illinois 4, #4 Buffalo 0
1. Brian Livingston/Alex Friesen (NIU) def. Yules Hadisbroto/Octavian State (UB) 8-3
2. David Katz/Jimmy Chu (NIU) def. Matt Kennedy/Nikesh Singh Panthlia (UB) 8-4
3. Adam Ford/Diego Zegarra-Ballon (NIU) def. Mike Rockman/Albert Alant (UB) 8-5
1. Mike Rockman (UB) led Brian Livingston (NIU) 0-6, 6-4, 3-1 (Abandoned)
2. Alex Friesen (NIU) led Nikesh Singh Panthlia (UB) 6-4, 5-5 (abandoned)
3. Adam Ford (NIU) def. Yules Hadisbroto (UB) 6-2, 7-6 (5)
4. David Katz (NIU) def. Octavian Stane (UB) 6-2, 6-1
5. Diego Zegarra-Ballon (NIU) led Matt Kennedy (UB) 6-4, 4-5 (Abandoned)
6. Jimmy Chu (NIU) def. Albert Alant (UB) 6-1, 7-5