April 22, 2006
Story Courtesy of Western Michigan University Athletic Media FRelations
KALAMAZOO -- The Western Michigan women's tennis team clinched its second straight undefeated regular season championship in the Mid-American Conference with a 6-1 win against Northern Illinois at West Hills Athletic Club Saturday afternoon.
The win against the Huskies (4-18, 0-8 MAC) is the 18th consecutive regular season MAC victory for the Broncos (17-5, 8-0 MAC).
Western Michigan split the two doubles matches played as Kerstin Pahl and Reedhina Parekh won 8-2 at two doubles. That was good enough to clinch the doubles point as Northern Illinois had to forfeit at three doubles because they had only four available players.
The Huskies also had to forfeit three singles matches after another player was unable to continue after the conclusion of doubles play. The Broncos did pick up victories from Priyanka Parekh 6-1, 6-0 at two singles and Noriko Saruta 6-1, 6-3 at three singles.
The Broncos travel to Oxford, Ohio, next weekend for the MAC Championships Thursday-Sunday. WMU will be the No. 1 seed while Buffalo earned the No. 2 seed and Miami No. 3. The No. 4 seed will be the winner of Sunday's Eastern Michigan vs. Toledo match with the loser the No. 5 seed. Ball State is the No. 6 seed, followed by No. 7 Bowling Green, No. 8 Akron and No. 9 Northern Illinois.
Tennis Match Results
Northern Illinois vs Western Michigan
Apr 22, 2006 at Kalamazoo, Mich.
Western Michigan 6, Northern Illinois 1
1. Jenny Edner (NIU) def. Rattiya Hiranrat (WMU) 6-4, 0-6, 1-0 (10-4)
2. Priyanka Parekh (WMU) def. Dora Delgadillo (NIU) 6-1, 6-0
3. Noriko Saruta (WMU) def. Megan Brooks (NIU) 6-1, 6-3
4. Kerstin Pahl (WMU) def. Nao Uememura (NIU), by forfeit
5. Ashley Moccia (WMU) def. Lilian Asuaje Gaytan (NIU), by forfeit
6. Colleen Mead (WMU) def. Chrissy Nagel (NIU), by forfeit
1. Jenny Edner/Nao Uememura (NIU) def. Malena Remynse/Carrie Jeanmaire (WMU) 8-7 (7-2)
2. Kerstin Pahl/Reedhina Parekh (WMU) def. Dora Delgadillo/Megan Brooks (NIU) 8-2
3. Noriko Saruta/Rattiya Hiranrat (WMU) def. Lilian Asuaje Gaytan/Chrissy Nagel (NIU), by forfeit