Wednesday’s MAC Men’s Basketball Results

Updated 1/15/2014
Wednesday’s MAC Men’s Basketball Results
Toledo 67, Buffalo 65
Bowling Green 67, Central Michigan 57
Akron 59, Miami 52
Ohio 71, Ball State 51
Kent State 73, Northern illinois 64 (OT)
Stories courtesy of MAC Sports Information Departments
Toledo 67, Buffalo 65
TOLEDO, OH – Junior guard Julius Brown hit a buzzer-beater to lift Toledo to a 67-65 Mid-American Conference victory over Buffalo (8-5, 2-1 MAC) on Wednesday evening in Savage Arena.  The win moved the Rockets (14-2, 2-1 MAC) into a three-way tie for first place in the MAC’s West Division and kept UT unbeaten in eight home dates this season.
Brown hit his game-winner after the Bulls’ Shannon Evans tied the score at 65-65 with 2.4 seconds remaining. After a Rocket timeout, senior forward Matt Smith threw a length of the court pass to sophomore center Nathan Boothe who then dished the ball to Brown.
Brown, who became the 42nd Rocket to eclipse the 1,000-career point mark earlier in the second half, paced the Rockets with 20 points and six assists in a season-high 39 minutes. Also scoring in double figures were junior forward J.D. Weatherspoon (13 pts.), senior guard Rian Pearson (12 pts.) and junior guard Justin Drummond (12 pts.).
Drummond and Weatherspoon also paced the Rockets on the boards with seven rebounds apiece.
Senior forward Javon McCrea topped Buffalo with 20 points, 10 boards and four blocked shots. Also scoring in double figures was senior guard Joshua Freelove (16 pts.)
A big key to the victory was Toledo producing its top defensive half of the season as it limited the Bulls to a 31.4 shooting mark in the final 20 minutes, the lowest by a UT opponent in a half this season.
Buffalo couldn’t miss in the opening 10 minutes as it jumped out to a 26-13 lead. UT answered though when Brown hit back-to-back treys and Weatherspoon hit a pair of free throws to reduce the Bulls’ lead to 26-21 with 9:03 to play in the first half.  Toledo couldn’t put any further dent into its deficit though and ended up trailing by a 39-32 margin at the half.
Weatherspoon then electrified the crowd with an alley-oop slam, a tip dunk and a three-point to give the Rockets their first lead since the game’s opening minutes at 44-43 with 11:51 left in the contest.
McCrea then responded with a three-point play to put the Bulls back in front, 52-48, with 7:17 left. Drummond then tied the score at 52-52 at the 6:29 mark with a layup and a pair of free throws on UT’s next two possessions.
Neither team led by more than two points the rest of the way. Buffalo took its last lead, 58-56, on senior guard Jarod Oldham’s layup with 4:39 left.
Brown then scored the Rockets’ final eight points with two field goals and four free throws.
Toledo returns to action on Saturday, Jan. 18 when it visits MAC East Division leader Akron (11-5, 3-0 MAC). Tip-off time is set for 11:00 a.m. with the contest being televised on ESPNU.
Bowling Green 67, Central Michigan 57
Bowling Green, Ohio – The Bowling Green State University men's basketball team used a 16-4 run to close out the first half and take a lead that the Falcons refused to relinquish for the remainder of the contest to post a 67-57 home win over Central Michigan on Wednesday night in the Stroh Center.
The win was the Falcons' (7-9, 1-2 MAC) first MAC win of the season and snapped a four-game losing skid. With the loss Central Michigan falls to 7-8 overall and 0-3 in the MAC.
BGSU forward's Richaun Holmes and Spencer Parker each led the way for the Falcons with 20 points apiece, becoming the first tandem of Falcons to score 20 points or more in a single game since A'uston Calhoun and Jordon Crawford each poured in 21 points apiece last season at Miami on Jan. 16, 2013.
Along with Holmes' 20 points, the junior tallied his third double-double of the season with 10 rebounds and four blocked shots, as he and senior center Cameron Black combined for seven blocks in the win. Black also dished out a career-high four assists, while guard Anthony Henderson added 13 points of his own in 35 minutes of play.
For the Chippewas, leading scorer Chris Fowler led the way with 19 points on 7-of-16 shooting for the game, while Blake Hibbitts added 14 points on 5-of-7 shooting on the night.
Despite the fact that Central Michigan shot 60 percent (12-of-20) in the first half, compared to the Falcons' 40 percent (10-of-25), Bowling Green was able to stay in the contest early and take a lead into the break by holding the Chippewas to only one offensive rebound and force the visitors into 10 turnovers over the first 20 minutes of play.
Bowling Green got two early three-pointers from the left wing from Henderson to run out to an early 6-2 lead three minutes into the contest.
After an 18-foot jump shot from Hibbitts of CMU tied the game up at 6-6 at the 15:02 mark, neither team would be able to pull away from the other, as three lead changes and three ties later CMU ran off six straight points to take a 24-17 lead with 7:17 to play in the opening half.
Following a media timeout, the Falcons ruled the rest of the half, as a layup down low from Holmes kick started a 16-2 run, highlighted by a stretch of eight straight points from Holmes himself, to lead the home team to a 33-26 lead on back-to-back free throws from Parker with 1:01 to go before the halftime break.
The Falcons held the Chippewas without a point for over six and a half minutes of the first half en route to taking the seven-point lead, yet saw CMU connect on a one-handed runner with the shot clock winding down late in the half to put the score at 33-28 at the break.
The momentum carried over into the second half for the Falcons, as again the defense transitioned to easy points for the home team, as BGSU opened up the second half of play with an 11-2 run to take a 14 point lead at 44-30 on a layup from Parker with 14:39 to go in regulation.
Bowling Green maintained a double digit lead over the next few minutes until Central Michigan got a three-pointer from John Simons to jump-start a 10-2 run and cut the Falcons' lead down to five at 48-43 on a 15-foot jumper from Hibbitts at the 9:15 mark of the second half.
Back-to-back old-fashion three-point plays from Parker and Holmes pushed the Falcons lead back to double digits, as the home team outscored the Chippewas 12-2 over the next five minutes of play to take a 15 point lead at 60-45 with just over four minutes to go in the game.
Looking for its first conference win, BGSU refused to let go of the lead, as after Central Michigan ran off seven straight points to cut the Falcons' lead back to seven at 60-53, the home team finished the final two minutes of the contest on a 7-4 run, capped off by free throws from Henderson and Holmes, to post the 67-57 home conference win.
The Falcons held Central Michigan to only eight made field goals in the second half (8-of-30, 26.2 percent) and was 16-of-22 (72.7 percent) from the free throw line for the game which were both keys in the victory.
BGSU outscore Central Michigan 32-20 in points in the paint, 21-13 in points off turnovers, 14-4 in fast break points and 11-10 in second chance points.
For the game, BGSU was 23-of-47 (48.9 percent) from the floor and 5-of-15 (33.3 percent) from behind the three-point line, while Central Michigan was 20-of-50 (40 percent) from the field and 7-of-18 (38.9 percent) from long distance.
Bowling Green (7-9, 1-2 MAC) will hit the road to take on Western Michigan on Sunday, Jan. 19 at 2 p.m. The game is slated to be shown on both the Time Warner Cable Sports Channel and ESPN3.
Akron 59, Miami 52
AKRON, Ohio – In their first game at James A. Rhodes Arena since the start of league play, the Akron Zips downed the Miami (Ohio) RedHawks 59-52 on Wednesday night in a Mid-American Conference East Division contest.
Demetrius "Tree" Treadwell led the Zips in scoring with 15 points and 10 rebound, his fifth double-double of the year and the first since Akron's win over Oregon State on Dec. 22. Treadwell also dished out three dimes and recorded one swat on the night.
Nick Harney went 4-of-4 from the field and 3-of-5 from the charity stripe to end the night with 11 points and six boards. Quincy Diggs rounded out the three Zips (11-5, 3-0 MAC) in double figures with 10 points, four rebounds and four steals.
Miami's (5-9, 1-2 MAC) Will Felder led all players in scoring with 16 points.
Miami took an early lead in the game after the Zips were unable to find the net until the 16:32 mark.
Later in the first half, the Zips scored 7 uninterrupted points to come back from their largest deficit and tie the game at 22-all with 1:20 left in the first.
A Treadwell layup gave UA its first lead of the game at 24-23 with 32 seconds on the clock. A shot launched by Miami at the buzzer gave the RedHawks a 24-25 advantage at the intermission.
The Zips started the second half on a 13-3 run to lead 37-28 with 13:53 left in the game.
Akron would hold on to its advantage and stay ahead by as many as 11 points throughout the last 20 minutes. Miami chipped away at its deficit, closing to within five with 1:09 left in the game, however the RedHawks would only find the net once more.
Both teams ended the half going 10-of-25 from the field for 40.0 percent. The Zips connected on 2-of-13 shots from behind the arc for 15.4 percent while the RedHawks netted 2-of-5 for 40.0 percent.
The Zips are back in action on Jan. 18 when they play host to Toledo at Rhodes Arena. The 11 a.m. ET tip off is set to air on ESPNU.
Ohio 71, Ball State 51
ATHENS, Ohio – The Ohio University men’s basketball team (12-4, 2-1) is back on the winning track after dispatching of Ball State (3-11, 0-3) by the score of 71-51 Wednesday night inside the Convocation Center.
The Bobcats received significant production from the entire roster and had three players score in double figures. Junior forward Maurice Ndour (Mbour, Senegal) led the offense with 16 points and made 8-of-10 free throws, while senior guard/forward T.J. Hall (Gainesville, Fla.) added 13 points (5-9 FG) and four rebounds.
The Bobcats are now 7-0 when Hall scores in double figures.
Senior guard Travis Wilkins (Springfield, Mo.) continued his strong play in conference action with 10 points, four rebounds and a team-high four assists. The Springfield, Mo., native is averaging 10.7 points per game and shooting 55.6 percent in MAC games.
The two teams struggled offensively to begin the half and entered the 10-minute mark of the first half tied at 8-8. A 3-pointer from Travis Wilkins helped break the sluggish Bobcat start and gave Ohio a 17-12 lead at the 7:11 mark of the first half.
The Bobcats entered the break ahead by six at 27-21. Ohio limited the Cardinals to just 28.6 percent (6-21) shooting in the half, including a 11.1 percent (1-9) mark from beyond the arc.
Ohio opened the second half on a 7-2 run to go up 11 (34-23) and extended the edge to 15 on a 3-pointer from Javarez Willis at the 10:30 mark of the second half.
A 3-pointer from Stevie Taylor gave Ohio a 19-point edge (54-35) and the Cardinals could not move closer than 17 (58-41) for the remainder of the contest.
Ohio now hits the road to play its second MAC West opponent in as many games. The ‘Cats will battle Northern Illinois in DeKalb on Saturday (Jan. 18) at 8 p.m. (ET). The game will air live on the Ohio IMG Sports Network, with pre-game coverage beginning at 7:30 p.m.
Kent State 73, Northern illinois 64 (OT)
DeKalb, Ill. – Kris Brewer scored 25 points and Kent State's defense shut down Northern Illinois for most of the last 15 minutes of regulation and in overtime of a 73-64 comeback win at the NIU Convocation Center.
The Golden Flashes held the Huskies without a field goal from the 14:49 mark of the second half until just 3:29 remained in the game. That stretch helped the Golden Flashes erase a Huskies lead that reached 13 points with 10:49 to play. In overtime, Northern Illinois converted just two of its eight field goals. 
"Sometimes you have to win when you don't play your best," said Kent State head coach Rob Senderoff, whose Flashes improved to 11-5 overall and 2-1 in Mid-American Conference play. "We didn't play very well in the first 30 minutes, but it was a very gritty last 10 minutes and overtime for us. I'm very proud of how we never quit."
Brewer started his night making just one of his first six shots from the field, but he took over the game after checking back into the ballgame with a little more than seven minutes to play. The junior point guard hit three big three-pointers, some clutch free throws and a few layups in traffic to lead the comeback. He ended up making 6-of-13 from the field and 10-of-12 from the foul line while committing just one turnover in 39 minutes.
"Brewer played in the second half and overtime the way he is supposed to play, and that's the way we need him to play the rest of the year," said Senderoff.
Devareaux Manley added two more three-pointers in the closing minutes, including the long jumper that deadlocked the game at 58-58 with a little more than 30 seconds to play in the second half. Manley finished with 10 points, while Derek Jackson added 14 points, five rebounds and four assists despite playing most of the final seven minutes saddled with four fouls.
After a timeout with 29 seconds remaining on the shot clock and 30 seconds left on the game clock, Northern Illinois failed to get off a shot in its final possession of regulation. 
Kent State dominated overtime, outscoring the Huskies 15-6.
Northern Illinois scored just one field goal during a stretch that lasted almost 18 minutes and spanned most of the second half and overtime. The Huskies did most of their damage from the foul line, but even there struggled to shoot 62.8-percent, making just 27 of 43 free throws. 
Aaron Armstead led Northern Illinois with 15 points and 10 rebounds. Travon Baker added 13 and Aaric Armstead added 12 for the Huskies, who fell to 7-8 overall and 1-2 in MAC play.
Kent State's road trip continues with a visit to the University at Buffalo on Saturday.