Thursday's Women's Basketball Results

Updated 1/9/2014


Courtesy of Home MAC Athletic Communications Departments
Ohio 97, Miami 79
Toledo 73, Northern Illinois 71
Central Michigan 109, Akron 83
Bowling Green 58, Kent State 39
Ball State 70, Eastern Michigan 66
ATHENS, Ohio -- A dominating first half on both ends of the floor led to a victory three years in the making, as the Ohio University women's basketball team (6-7, 1-1 MAC) raced out to a 19-point halftime lead that led to a 97-79 romp over Miami University (4-9, 0-2 MAC) on Thursday (Jan. 9) in a Battle of the Bricks matchup at the Convocation Center.
The victory marked Ohio's first Mid-American Conference triumph of the 2014 campaign and first victory over the RedHawks since cruising to a 76-47 win at the Convo on March 2, 2011. The Bobcats have already matched their overall and conference win total in 2012-13.
Ohio recorded its second wire-to-wire win in three games and surpassed the 90-point plateau for the second time in 13 contests.
The Bobcats capitalized on an opportunistic defensive effort, turning 25 Miami turnovers into 33 points. Conversely, the RedHawks managed to force just six turnovers, leading to only four points.
A season-high five Bobcats reached double figures, led by a career-high 24 points from freshman forward Quiera Lampkins (Gahnanna, Ohio). She went 9-for-12 from the field. The contest marked the fifth time this season Lampkins has reached double digits and third time she has led the team in scoring. Lampkins also hauled in a team-high seven rebounds.
Sophomore guard Kiyanna Black (Columbus, Ohio) sunk a game-high four treys off the bench and finished in double digits for the sixth time this season with 16 points.
Sophomore forward Lexie Baldwin (Hattiesburg, Miss.) hit double figures for the sixth time this season with 14 points.
Freshman forward Destini Cooper (Reynoldsburg, Ohio) came off the bench to score 13 points. She achieved double digits for the second time this season.
Junior guard Mariah Byard knocked down three shots from beyond the arc and tallied 11 points to reach the 500-point mark in her career. She has reached double figures a team-high seven times in 2013-14 -- including each of the last three games.
The Bobcats seized control early, scoring the first nine points of the contest thanks to layups by Lampkins and Baldwin, free throws by redshirt sophomore guard Kat Yelle (Geneva, Ill.) and a trey by Byard.
Ohio's lead swelled to 14 points with just under 13 minutes to go in the half courtesy of a layup by Lampkins, but the RedHawks countered with an 11-4 run to pull within seven with just over eight minutes remaining in the stanza.
That's as close as Miami got, though, as Black nailed a trey with a little under two minutes left in the first half to cap a 27-13 run that ballooned Ohio's advantage to 21 points at 49-28.
The Bobcats carried a 19-point lead into the break. The lead swelled to a game-high 24 points when freshman guard Tmisht Stinson (Hattiesburg, Miss.) totaled the first points of her career by sinking two free throws to make it 83-59 with 8:25 to play.
The Bobcats return to the friendly confines of the Convo for their second straight home game as they welcome MAC West Division foe Western Michigan (6-7, 2-0 MAC) on Sunday (Jan. 12) as part of an Ohio hoops doubleheader. The opening tip is scheduled for 2 p.m. ET. Ohio's men's basketball squad will square off against Akron at 6 p.m. ET. Fans will receive free admission to the women's game when they present their men's ticket at the gates.
TOLEDO, OH – Senior Andola Dortch scored 17 points, including a key three-point play in the final minute, to lead Toledo to a 73-71 victory over Northern Illinois on Thursday morning in Mid-American Conference action in Savage Arena.
The Huskies (5-7, 1-1 MAC) fought back from an 18-point deficit to make it a two-point game, 70-68, with 1:10 left when Ally Lehman knocked down a baseline jumper. But Dortch came right back and converted a three-point play on a drive in which she ended up on her back on the baseline with 57.7 seconds left. NIU’s Natecia Augusta countered with three-point play of her own, bringing the margin back to two, 73-71, with 37 seconds left.
Toledo (6-7, 1-1 MAC) worked the game clock down to 15 seconds before senior Janelle Reed-Lewis misfired on a short jumper. Rocket fans then held their collective breath as NIU’s Danny Pulliam drove the length of the floor only to see her layup roll off the rim.
Dortch added eight assists and four rebounds to her 17 points. Junior Inma Zanoguera had 14 points and five rebounds. NIU was led by Amanda Corral’s 20 points.
The game was played in the morning as part of UT’s “Educational Day” promotion. However, most elementary school students were not able to attend due to Toledo Public Schools remaining closed following Sunday’s snowstorm.
The Rockets led at halftime, 40-26, thanks to a sizzling 17-of-30 (56.7%) mark from the floor, as well as 12 points from Zanoguera and 10 from senior Briana Jones.  Dortch capped a 22-5 run that gave Toledo a 27-11 lead, forcing NIU to call timeout with 9:15 left in the half. UT extended the first-half lead to 18 points before the Huskies began to claw back. Corral’s drive in the lane with three minutes left cut the lead to 37-25. But the Rockets held NIU to one free throw for the remainder of the half, settling on a 14-point advantage at the break.
The second half was a different story, however, as Toledo shot just 5-of-17 (29.4%) from the field and had to hold on for the victory. NIU opened the half with a 6-2 run to cut the lead to 42-32. UT sophomore Ana Capotosto countered with four consecutive free throws and freshman Janice Monakana converted a three-point play to push the lead back to 15, 49-34, with 15:33 to play.
Toledo was able to maintain a comfortable lead until midway in the second half when the Huskies made their run. The Rockets extended their margin to 19 points, 57-39, on a pair of free throws by Dortch with 10:47 left.  But once again, Northern Illinois battled back, trimming the lead to 63-53 when Alicia Johnson’s free throw  with 7:30 to play capped a 9-2 Huskie run.
Corral knocked down a pair of jumpers, the second coming  with 3:08 left to pull NIU to within seven, 69-62. Moments later, Coral sank a pair of free throws to cut the lead to three, 69-66. Following a free throw by Dortch, NIU’s Lehman knocked down a 15-foot baseline jumper to reduce Toledo’s lead to 70-68 with 1:08 to play, setting up the drama of the final minute of play.
The Rockets return to action on Sunday when they host Miami at 2:00 p.m.
AKRON, Ohio – Rachel Tecca poured in a game-high 30 points and Kacie Cassell dished out 11 assists, but Mid-American Conference West Division powerhouse Central Michigan proved to be too much for Akron in a 109-83 loss Thursday night.
UA (7-6, 1-1) fell behind early in the second half and was unable to play catch-up in what proved to be a shootout between two of the highest scoring teams in the league.
Tecca was one rebound short of her second-straight double-double, shooting 12-for-21 from the field and adding a 6-for-8 showing from the free throw line. Hanna Luburgh followed that lead, posting 24 points and five rebounds.
Cassell chipped in six points to go with three steals and her season-high 11 dimes, turning the ball over just once in 29 minutes.
Central Michigan (6-8, 2-0) placed seven players in double figures offensively, including three double-doubles, led by 21 points and 13 rebounds from Jas'Mine Bracey.
Akron was held to 40.8 percent shooting from the field for the night, against CMU's 54.8 clip.
The two teams played each other evenly for the better part of the first half, keeping the game within a five-point margin.
The Zips captured a six-point lead at the 14:06 mark on a Luburgh triple to go ahead 19-13. Central countered with six-straight points to lock the score at 19 as the Chippewas began to create a little distance.
Akron's offense fell silent for four minutes, and CMU slowly built a nine-point advantage on two Jordan LaDuke free throws. A mini 6-0 run from the Zips capped by a Tecca layup brought the difference back to three with UA trailing, 37-34.
UA continued to attack the rim and found itself down only four after Hannah Plybon hit a 3-pointer with 1:30 left in the first half to make it 45-41. The Chippewas put up seven unanswered points before the buzzer, broken up only by a pair of Luburgh free throws as time expired, giving CMU a 52-43 edge at halftime.
A sluggish start out of the locker room dug a hole for the Zips that proved to be too deep to climb out of, as Akron was unable to hold off CMU's offensive weapons from every angle.
The Chippewas' lead grew to 20 points midway through the half, and UA connected on just 12-of-36 attempts from the floor, coming up 0-for-5 from long range in the second half.
Akron returns to the court Sunday when it travels to Bowling Green. Tip-off between the Zips and the Falcons is set for 2 p.m. at the Stroh Center.
KENT, Ohio - Kent State lost to Bowling Green 58-39 on Thursday night at the M.A.C. Center despite its best shooting performance of the season from beyond the three-point arc.
Through the season's first 12 games, the Golden Flashes (3-10, 0-2) converted 26.9 percent of their three-point tries. But led by Amber Dunlap, who converted 3-of-4 from long range, the Flashes connected on 54.5 precent of their threes (6-for-11) against the Falcons, including 5-of-9 in the second half.
The hot shooting wasn't enough, however, as Bowling Green improved to 12-2 overall and 2-0 in Mid-American Conference play behind a double-double effort by Jill Stein. The Falcons senior finished with 12 points and 11 rebounds while teammate Jillian Halfhill scored a game-high 15 points.
"I think the way we shot the ball from beyond the arc is a tribute to the time our players spent in the gym over the semester break," said Kent State head coach Danielle O'Banion. "We've been very deliberate about making time to make shots every day. I'm happy to see our players see the return on the investment.
"But then I also thought Bowling Green did a nice job of being Bowling Green tonight. We did a good job of neutralizing some of the players we were worried the most about … But when you have a senior point guard like Jillian Halfhill who has been in a lot of big situations, that can be a difference maker. She stepped up and made some big shots."
Larissa Lurken and Amber Dunlap scored nine points each to lead Kent State. Lurken also finished with a team-high six rebounds.
Despite shooting just 31.6 percent from the field and turning the ball over 15 times in the first half, the Golden Flashes stayed within striking distance heading into the break, trailing 20-13 thanks in large part to a defense that held the Falcons to just 26.9-percent shooting from the field (7-for-26). Bowling Green was also 0-for-9 from three-point range in the first 20 minutes.
It took the Flashes more than five minutes to score their first points of the night on a jumper by Cheylene Harper with 14:25 to play before halftime. But after a another mid-range jumper by Ashley Evans and a three by Larissa Lurken, Kent State worked its way into a 7-7 tie at the half's 11-minute mark.
Bowling Green finally connected on its first three-pointer with just over 16 minutes remaining on a shot from the left corner by Halfhill. The three an 0-for-11 start from the arc. It was part of a 15-0 run that helped the Falcons grab control by building a 20-point lead in the first seven minutes following halftime.
Bowling Green improved to 45.8 percent shooting in the second half (11-for-24) and finished at 36 percent for the game (18-50). Despite the hot shooting from long distance, Kent State ended the night at just 32.7 percent from the field (16-for-49). After turning the ball over 15 times in the first half, the Flashes suffered just six turnovers in the final 20 minutes.
"It is encouraging that we can and do compete generally every night, including against a Bowling Green team that is probably one of the top teams in our league," said O'Banion. "It's important for us to understand that when we are playing at that level, our margin for error is slim to none. Tonight was encouraging in spots, but we are building, so we are continuing to teach and coach."
Kent State will play its first MAC road game on Sunday when it visits Ball State in a 2 p.m. start.
YPSILANTI, Mich. ( – The Eastern Michigan University women's basketball team saw its five game winning streak come to an end at the hands of Ball State University, Jan. 9, as the Cardinals came away with a 70-66 decision over the Eagles. The setback for EMU (11-2, 1-1 MAC) was the first in MAC play for the Green and White while Ball State (6-7, 1-1) secured its first victory of the conference season.
Olivia Fouty (Toledo, Ohio-Sylvania Northview) led the way for the Eagles, posting her sixth double-double of the 2013-14 season with 16 points and 13 rebounds. Cha Sweeney (Toledo, Ohio-Rogers) and Janay Morton (Brooklyn Park, Minn.-Osseo) each contributed 13 points, while Natachia Watkins (South Euclid, Ohio-Brush) chipped in with eight points and eight boards. As a team, Eastern shot 35.3 percent from the floor (24-of-68), including 7-of-24 from three point land. The Eagles found most of their success in the paint, scoring 30 points in that area. Forcing 22 Ball State turnovers, EMU was able to score 26 points off the miscues, including 16 on the fastbreak.
Three Cardinals reached double figures in scoring, led by 18 points from Brittany Carter. Shelbie Justice notched a double-double with 15 points and 12 rebounds, while Nathalie Fontaine tallied 12 points and corralled seven boards. Ball State made it to the charity stripe nearly twice as much as the Green and White, shooting 18-of-33 for 54.5 percent. From the floor, BSU made 37.5 percent of its attempts (21-of-56), including 10-of-26 from beyond the arc. The Cardinals controlled the boards throughout the night, outrebounding EMU, 51-40.
Carter began scoring with a three-ball on the Cardinals' first possession, giving BSU a quick 3-0 lead to start the game. Nathalie Fontaine followed Carter's triple with one of her own, putting the Cardinals up 6-0, but a pair of fastbreak layups from Fouty and Morton brought EMU within two, 6-4, at the 15:04 mark. Fontaine then bested Morton's bucket, giving BSU a five point advantage at the first media timeout, 9-4.
Out of the break, Ball State went on a 7-1 run, pushing their lead to 11, 16-5, before Haley Moore (Milford, Neb.-Milford) stopped the run with a triple from the left wing. The Eagles shot just 27.3 percent from the floor through the first 10 minutes of play, and the offensive woes continued as the Cardinals scored the next four points and EMU missed its next four shots in the same stretch, forcing Head Coach Tory Verdi to use his first timeout of the game.
Watkins scored EMU's first field goal in nearly three minutes when she followed her shot and scored a putback layup to bring the Green and White within 10, 20-10, with 9:30 to play in the half. After a Ball State free throw, Fouty knocked down a pair of three throws and Morton converted on a triple, giving EMU a six point deficit. Jill Morrison then scored the next five-straight points for the Cardinals, putting BSU back on top by 11, 26-15, with 7:29 left in the half.
Sweeney answered for EMU, scoring five points in just over thirty seconds by way of a three-ball and a transition layup. Phillis Webb (Brooklyn Park, Minn.-Osseo) continued EMU's run, extending it to seven in-a-row. With Easter looking at a four point deficit, Justice pushed Ball State's lead back up to seven after converting on an old fashioned three-point play with just over four minutes remaining.
After the final media break the Eagles went on a quick five point spree to come within two points, 29-27, at the 3:07 mark, but the Cardinals used another three-pointer to get back on top by five. The Green and White responded with a nice second chance layup from Webb, however the Cardinals wouldn't be deterred as Katie Murphy was fouled on three occasions and converted 4-of-6 from the charity stripe to keep the Cardinals ahead 36-31 heading into the half.
Eastern was led by Sweeney's eight points in the opening half, while Fouty and Webb each added six. The Eagles struggled from the floor, knocking down just 11 shots in 30 attempts for a 36.7 percent clip. Eastern knocked down 50 percent of its triples, but went just 5-of-11 from the charity stripe. Conversely, Ball State hit 40 percent of their shots from both three-point land and in field goal attempts. The big difference was that the Cardinals knocked down 71.4 percent of their free throws (5-of-11) to giving them a 36-31 lead at the break. Both the Eagles and Cardinals coughed up the rock on multiple occasions; the Green and White forced 13 BSU turnovers, while they flipped the ball over nine times.
Fouty started the scoring in the second half with a jumper in the paint, but Carter responded with a jumper of her own to keep the Cardinals ahead by five. After trading buckets, Desyree Thomas (Waterford, Mich.-Mott) hit a floater in the paint to cut the EMU deficit to two, 39-37, with just under 17 minutes to play in the half.
With Ball State leading 44-41 at the 13:22 mark, Fouty converted the old-fashioned three-point play to knot things up at 44. In the ensuing BSU possession, Sweeney picked the Cardinals' pocket and took the ball coast to coast, dropping in the layup while getting fouled. Sweeney knocked down the free throw after a Ball State timeout, giving the Eagles their first lead of the game, 47-44, with 13:08 on the clock.
After falling behind, BSU scored seven straight to regain the lead, 51-47, at the 11:23 mark. Following a nearly three minute scoring drought from both teams, Morton poured one in from downtown, and Webb had a quick steal on the other end resulting in a fastbreak layup for Thomas to give them a slight 52-51 lead with under 10 minutes to play.
The Cardinals wouldn't go away quietly, pouring in the next eight points, taking a 59-52 lead. Both teams continued to trade buckets until the Cardinals scored four in-a-row to extend the BSU lead to nine, 65-56. EMU brought the margin to within six when Fouty knocked down a triple from the wing, making it 67-61. After sloppy play up and down, Watkins brought the Green and White within four, 67-63, on a putback layup with just 55.7 seconds left on the clock.
The Eagles had to resort to fouling down the stretch, and Woody knocked down the front end of a one-and-one, putting the Cardinals up five. The next time down the floor, Morton struck on a three-ball to make it a two point game, 68-66, for Eastern. Ball State would convert a pair of free ones with 13 seconds on the clock to ice the game for the Cardinals, giving the Eagles their first conference loss of the season, 70-66.
Eastern hits the road for its next game. The Green and White will travel to DeKalb, Ill. for a MAC contest with the Huskies of Northern Illinois University. Tip for the ladies' game is scheduled for 2 p.m. CT at the NIU Convocation Center.