Saturday's MAC Men's Basketball Results

Updated 12/8/2013
Saturday's MAC Men's Basketball Results
Akron 73, Cleveland State 61
Buffalo 78, St. Bonaventure 73
Central Michigah 65, SIU Edwardsville 64
Xavier 85, Bowling Green 73 (OT)
Purdue 69, Eastern Michigan 64
Evansville 78, Miami 65
Toledo 80, Robert Morris 77
Northwestern 61, Western Michigan 35
Oakland 73, Ohio 56
Stories courtesy of MAC Sports Information Departments
Akron 73, Cleveland State 61
CLEVELAND – After not playing for 21 days, the Akron Zips shook off some early rust to defeat Cleveland State 73-61 at the Wolstein Center on Saturday.
The Zips hit 11 3-pointers and held the Vikings' top-three scorers to just 29 points (45.1 ppg combined entering the game) to snap a two-game losing streak overall and a three-game slide on the road.
Nick Harney led all scorers with 15 points of 6-of-10 shooting while Nyles Evans and Reggie McAdams pitched in with 12 points each. Demetrius "Tree" Treadwell had seven points and grabbed a game-high 10 boards.
Akron (2-2) connected on 48.1 percent from the floor (25-of-52) and 50.0 percent from behind the arc (11-of-22) while winning the rebounding battle 32-28. The Zips dished out 16 assists, including seven by Quincy Diggs.
Charlie Lee led Cleveland State (4-5) with 14 points.
Deji Ibitayo and McAdams hit 3-pointers on back-to-back possessions to force CSU to call its first timeout of the second half just 1:06 into the period with Akron leading 38-23.
The Zips kept the pressure on, connecting on 5-of-7 from long range to start the second half and taking a 51-34 lead into the under-12 media timeout (11:54).
CSU slowly began to chip away at the Akron lead, closing the gap to 58-46 with 4:24 remaining. However, a corner 3-pointer by McAdams – his fourth of the game to that point – pushed the UA lead back to 61-46.
Cleveland State again tried to close the gap, cutting the Akron lead to 62-52 with 2:50 remaining, but a Treadwell jumper on the next possession push the Zips' advantage back to 12. A late 3-pointer by CSU made it 69-61 but the Vikings would not overcome the deficit.
Both teams needed a few minutes to get warmed up as CSU would hold a slim 5-2 advantage at the under-16 media timeout. The Zips responded, going on a 9-3 run to take an 11-8 lead by the under-12 timeout (11:47).
After Cleveland State closed the gap to 18-16 with 6:27 remaining in the half, Akron put together eight-straight points – capped off by a Harney fastbreak dunk – to force the Vikings to call a timeout with the Zips leading 26-16 (4:09).
Evans hit a long 3-pointer – his third of the half – to send Akron into the half with a 32-23 lead.
The Zips closed the half shooting 44.8 percent from the floor (13-of-29), including 5-of-11 from long range (45.5 percent). The Vikings were held to 9-of-23 from the field (39.1 percent) and 2-of-6 from long range (33.3 percent).
Akron held a 17-12 advantage on the boards and posted eight assists to six turnovers. CSU also had six giveaways to three assists.
Evans led all players in the half with 12 points while Harney pitched in with nine points.
The Zips return home on Saturday, Dec. 14, when they play host to Bethune-Cookman at James A. Rhodes Arena. Tip off is set for 7 p.m. ET.
Buffalo 78, St. Bonaventure 73
BUFFALO, NY -  Four three pointers from four different players late in the second half propelled the University at Buffalo men's basketball team to a 78-73 come from behind victory over St. Bonaventure, Saturday afternoon in front of 4,652 fans at Alumni Arena.  The win was UB's fourth in a row and its first over St. Bonaventure since the 1996-97 season.
The contest was close through out, with neither team leading by more than nine during the 40 minutes of action.  However, it was the Bulls who were trailing by six with 5:31 remaining, when the game changed in the favor of the home team.  Senior Joshua Freelove hit the first of what would be four straight three pointers for the Bulls putting them in front.  A three from junior Will Regan tied it up before St. Bonaventure regained the three point lead.  Calmly on the next trip, freshman Shannon Evans knocked down a triple to tie the game up and the next time down the floor, sophomore Jarryn Skeete hit a three pointer of his own, giving the Bulls the lead for good with 2:09 left.  Even more impressive in the stretch was that all four plays came on assists from four different individuals.  The Bulls knocked down their final six free throws to ice the victory.
The afternoon opened UB's way as the Bulls raced out to an 18-9 lead, which was capped off on a tip-in from senior Jarod Oldham.  The Bonnies were able to get back in the contest partially in part to 20 first-half trips to the free throw line and they took a 39-38 lead into the half.
"I am just very impressed with our team and how clutch we were in the second half," said head coach Bobby Hurley.  "We didn't shoot the ball well early, but we hit big shots when we needed to and we got stops on the defensive end when we really needed them."
Evans and Skeete led four players in double figures with 17 points a piece.  The 17 points were a career high for the freshman Evans, who has now scored 17 and 13 points, respectively in his last two games.  Skeete had a season-high in points, while also leading the Bulls in the rebounding department with six.  Freelove added 13 points, while McCrea finished with 10 points despite not taking a field goal attempt in the second half.
Oldham, who was limited to 21 minutes due to foul trouble, had nine points, five assists and four rebounds.  Regan added six points, five rebounds and a career-high four blocked shots.  McCrea added three blocks.  Junior Xavier Ford added six points off the bench.
The Bulls used clutch free throw shooting all afternoon, hitting their first 18 attempts and finishing 28-for-32 for the game.  UB also had one of its best days from long range, especially in the second half where it went 6-for-11 from behind-the-arc.
UB has now won four straight games, its longest streak since the 2011-12 season.
St. Bonaventure, which fell to 6-3 on the year, was led by 16 points and 10 rebounds from Andell Cumberbatch, while Marquise Simmons also added 16 points.
The Bulls will now leave the friendly confines of Alumni Arena for the first time in nearly a month and will head downtown to the First Niagara Center where they will face Canisius on Wednesday night.  The game is the second in a doubleheader that also includes Niagara vs. Davidson and will tip at approximately 8:15pm.
Central Michigah 65, SIU Edwardsville 64
EDWARDSVILLE, Ill. – Sophomore guard Chris Fowler hit a shot with 6.2 seconds remaining and the Central Michigan defense held in SIU Edwardsville’s final possession, sending the Chippewas to a thrilling 65-64 win, their fourth consecutive, on Saturday night at the Cougars’ Vadalabane Center.
Fowler added another impressive chapter to the story of his standout 2013 season, scoring a game-high 23 points, on 10-of-14 shooting, and adding six assists, five rebounds and two steals. He got CMU off to a quick start, scoring the team’s first eight points, and then finished off SIUE by tallying the Chippewas’ final five, including the game winner. 
The game was back-and-forth affair throughout, featuring 14 lead changes and 12 ties. Central Michigan (6-3) owned the largest lead of the contest, a six-point margin, at the 15:21 mark of the first half. 
After Rayshawn Simmons drained two free throws to give CMU a 59-58 lead with 2:48 remaining, SIU Edwardsville possessed the ball for nearly the next two minutes, missing three straight shots but also getting three straight rebounds. Fowler got the ball back for the Chippewas when he stole the ball away from the Cougars’ Maurice Wiltz. 
Fowler then made one free throw to push CMU’s lead to two but a Keaton Jackson three-point play on the ensuing possession gave SIUE back the lead at 61-60 with 32 seconds to play. Fowler responded again, driving to the bucket for a layup and drawing a foul. He made the free throw, providing Central with a 63-61 advantage.
SIU Edwardsville (2-7) once again answered back with a Wiltz three-pointer and CMU was down by one with just 16 seconds on the clock. Not to be outdone, Fowler had the last word, slipping to the basket and laying in the go-ahead shot. Cameron Craig’s three-point, last-ditch attempt was partially blocked by John Simons and fell short of the mark.
With the victory, CMU moves to 2-1 on the road this season and matches the program’s longest win streak since the 2007-08 season. 
After Fowler accounted for CMU’s first eight points of the game, freshman guard Braylon Rayson nailed a three-pointer to give the Chippewas their largest lead of the game at 11-5. Central maintained the advantage until a jumper by Rozell Nunn at the 4:10 mark gave SIUE its first lead of the game at 22-20. The Cougars pushed the margin to four near the end of the half but a Fowler layup at the buzzer cut the lead in half at 29-27.
The teams traded buckets throughout the second half with neither team able to gain the upper hand. CMU got into foul trouble and put SIU Edwardsville into the bonus with 10:46 remaining but the Cougars could not take advantage. Simons, who sat the bench for a good portion of the first half after picking up two early fouls, hit two big three-pointers in the second half, accounting for six of his eight total points. 
Simmons had nine points and five rebounds while Austin Stewart led the Chippewas with seven rebounds. CMU outrebounded SIUE, 39-31, but was hampered by 16 turnovers. 
CMU shot 42 percent from the field but made just 7-of-30 three-point attempts. 
CMU will continue its three-game December road swing next weekend, visiting No. 25 Dayton (7-1) for a 7 p.m. game on Saturday, Dec. 14 at UD Arena. The Chippewas are 0-3 all-time versus Dayton, last meeting the Flyers in the 1995-96 season. 
Xavier 85, Bowling Green 73 (OT)
Cincinnati, Ohio – Junior forward Richaun Holmes recorded a career-high 26 points as the Bowling Green State University men's basketball team pushed the Xavier Musketeers to the limit in an 85-73 overtime loss on Saturday afternoon in the Cintas Center in Cincinnati, Ohio.
The game saw 10 lead changes and was tied on nine different occasions over the 45 minutes of play.
Xavier took control of the game in the overtime period, as the Musketeers were 4-of-7 (57.1 percent) from the floor and 7-of-8 (87.5 percent) from the charity stripe over the extra five minutes of play, while Bowling Green was only 1-of-6 (16.7 percent) and 2-of-4 (50 percent) from the free throw line during that span.
The loss drops BGSU to 3-5 on the season, while the Musketeers remain unbeaten at home this season and improve to 6-3 overall.
Along with his career-high 26 points, Holmes hauled in nine rebounds and registered five blocked shots in 39 minutes of play. Guards Anthony Henderson, who had to have stitches early in the first half due to a cut next to his right eye, and Jehvon Clarke chipped in with 13 points apiece, while Clarke also dished out a team-best five assists and picked up four steals. Senior forward Craig Sealey was 5-of-6 from the free throw line for the game and totaled seven points off the bench for the Falcons.
Xavier was led by Semaj Christon's 22 points, as he was 12-of-16 from the free throw line for the game. Forwards Isaiah Philmore and James Farr each totaled 15 points, with Farr nearly picking up a double-double with nine rebounds. Off the bench, Myles Davis poured in 14 points on 4-of-5 shooting from behind the three-point line.
In what was a tight game throughout, the Falcons and Musketeers went back-and-forth over the opening minutes of the contest, as the two teams traded the lead five times in the first five minutes of the game until a jump hook from the right baseline by Sealey put the visitors in front by one at 7-6 heading into the first media timeout.
After a put back layup by JD Tisdale minutes later put the Falcons on top 9-6, the Musketeers battled back to tie the score up at 9-9 on two straight free throws from Christon with 13:36 to go in the opening half.
The next four minutes saw two ties and yet another lead change, as a three-pointer from the right wing from Bowling Green's Damarkeo Lyshe knotted the score up once more at 17-17 with 8:59 before the halftime break.
With both teams halted by fouls, Xavier ran out to a 12-4 run over the next four minutes of action to take a 29-21 lead on a Farr reverse layup at the 4:45 mark.
That would be the last points for the home team for the remainder of the first half, as the Falcons' defense shut down the Musketeers and answered with a 12-0 run, highlighted by four points apiece from both Henderson and Holmes, to close the half out and take a 33-29 lead into the halftime break.
The contest remained tight to start the second half of play, as the Musketeers ended its scoring drought with a free throw from Christon and a layup from Matt Stainbrook to cut the Falcons' lead to one at 33-32 with over 19 minutes to go in the game.
Despite senior Cameron Black posting back-to-back post moves for scores over the next two BGSU offensive possessions, the Musketeers were able to string together  buckets from Farr, Philmore and Davis to take a 44-40 lead with 14:50 remaining on the game clock.
After back-to-back baskets from Holmes tied the game up once more at 44-44, the home team retook the lead on two made free throws from Dee Davis on the ensuing possession and then pushed it out to double digits at 62-51 with an 18-7 run over the next nine minutes of play.
Refusing to quit, BGSU picked up a rebound and put back basket from Henderson, a steal and an old-fashion three-point play from Henderson, an offensive stick back from Spencer Parker, a three-pointer from the right wing from Clarke and another fast break layup from Henderson over the next 1:20 seconds to cut the Xavier lead back to one at 62-61 with just over four minutes to go in the contest.
Following a layup from the right block from Xavier's Philmore, BGSU's Holmes was able to get loose under the basket and slammed the ball through while drawing the foul to put the score at 64-63 in favor of the Musketeers at the 3:16 mark of regulation.
Holmes would hit the free throw to knot the score up at 64-64 to set up a dramatic down to the wire finish.
Xavier would get two free throws from Philmore over the next 30 seconds, yet again Holmes came through for the Falcons, this time with a made free throw and an alley-oop layup from Clarke on the next two possessions to put BGSU in front by one at 67-66 with just 1:19 to play.
With the one point lead, Henderson would get fouled with just 15 seconds to go and make 1-of-2 free throws to put the visitors in front by two at 68-67.
However, on the next possession Xavier's Christon drove the ball down the lane towards the basket and was rewarded with a foul call on BG, sending the guard to the free throw line with just six seconds to play.
After Christon calmly sank both free throws to tie the score up at 68-68, BGSU's last second heave from the top of the key would clang off the side of the rim to send the game into overtime.
Fatigue appeared to play a part in the extra period, as the Falcons, who had four players record over 30 minutes of game action on the day, took a 69-68 lead on a foul shot from Black early, only to see Xavier make a free throw to tie the game seconds later and then finish the game out on a 16-4 surge as BGSU missed on 4-of-5 shot attempts over the final two minutes of the overtime period.
Both teams were called for over 20 fouls each, while BGSU was 18-of-31 (58.1 percent) from the free throw line compared to Xavier's 23-of-33 (69.7 percent) for the game.
While BGSU was outscored 38-32 in points in the paint, the Falcons held a 19-2 advantage in second chance points and 18-14 in points off turnovers.
Yet the biggest difference came off the bench, as the Musketeers' bench outscored the Falcons' reserves 39-12 for the contest.
Bowling Green (3-5) will return home to host North Dakota on Wednesday night, Dec. 11, at 7 p.m. in the Stroh Center.
Purdue 69, Eastern Michigan 64
WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. ( – After a slow start offensively, the Eastern Michigan University men's basketball team came up just short versus Purdue University, 69-64, Saturday, Dec. 7. It was the Eagles (5-3) third loss in a row, while the Boilermakers (8-2) recorded their third-straight victory in front of 13,079 people at Mackey Arena.
Karrington Ward (Lockport, Ill.-Lockport Township (Moraine Valley C.C.)) was an offensive juggernaut in the EMU loss, pouring in 25 points on 9-of-16 shooting, while knocking down a career-high four three-pointers. Ward also corralled eight rebounds in the contest. Glenn Bryant (Detroit, Mich.-Oak Hill Academy (Arkansas)) was one carom shy of his first double-double of the season after recording 11 points and a season-best nine boards. Raven Lee (Detroit, Mich.-Romulus) contributed nine points and five rebounds, while Darell Combs (Chicago, Ill.-Thornwood (Blinn)) added seven points of his own. As a team, the Green and White went 21-of-50 (42.0 percent) from the floor, while connecting on 7-of-21 (33.3 percent) of its three-point opportunities. Eastern Michigan got its free throw shooting in order versus the Big Ten opponent, going 15-of-21 (71.4 percent), just one-of-two games that EMU has shot over 70 percent from the free throw line.
The Eagles out-rebounded Purdue, 39-32, while the Boilermakers hit 20-of-50 shots in the game, including six from downtown. Bryson Scott led PU's offensive attack with 16 points, including a 10-of-13 performance from the charity stripe, while Kendall Stephens posted 13 points, knocking down three triples. Purdue won the turnover battle, 20-14, which led to the eventual loss that the Eagles suffered.
Stephens knocked down a three-ball to start the scoring at the 16:51 mark in the first 20 minutes, putting Purdue up three to start the game. A Terone Johnson jumper in the paint gave the Boilermakers a quick 5-0 lead, before Mike Talley (Detroit, Mich.-Melvindale ABT (Duquesne)) broke the seal for EMU with a dribble-drive move to the hole. Following the Eagles first basket, Eastern and Purdue traded buckets until the Green and White knotted things up at 14 apiece with 8:16 remaining in the first half.
Johnson converted a fast-break layup with 8:09 on the clock to put the Boilermakers up two, 16-14, but on the next trip down the floor, Ward knocked down a three-ball from the wing, giving Eastern its first lead of the game, 17-16, with 7:26 left in the half. The lead did not last as Stephens came back firing with a triple of his own, putting Purdue back on top by two with just under seven minutes left in the game. Purdue and EMU went back-and-forth until an 8-0 run gave the Boilermakers its largest lead of the of the half, 29-20. Eastern fought back to bring it within six heading into the locker room at the half, 35-29.
The Eagles shot 43.5 percent in the first half after going 10-for-23 from the floor and 3-for-9 from downtown. EMU got off to a good start at the free throw line, knocking down 6-of-8 attempts in the first half. Ward led the offensive attack in the first half with a 5-for-9 shooting performance, hitting 2-of-4 shots from beyond the arc and caroming four rebounds. Combs added five points, while Bryant and Lee each contributed four. The Boilermakers hit 12-of-28 shots in the opening half, good for a 42.9 percent clip, but were only able to knock down 7-of-14 attempts from the charity stripe.
After Talley opened up the scoring in the second half to bring Eastern within four, 35-31, Purdue scored seven-straight, extending the Eagles' deficit to 11, 42-31. However, after trading a pair of buckets, the Eagles went on an 11-1 run, capped off by a dunk from Karrington Ward that brought EMU to within one point with 10:53 remaining in the contest.
Directly following the Ward flush, Basil Smotherman returned with a layup to push Purdue back to a three-point lead. EMU and the Boilermakers played offense back-and-forth but a three-ball from Terone Johnson pushed Purdue back up four with 5:15 left in the contest. Following another converted bucket from the Boilermakers, Ward knocked down another three-pointer to bring EMU within two at the 3:57 mark. However, the Eagles came no closer than that down the stretch as the Boilermakers outscored the Green and White by three in the final four minutes of play to finish the game with a score of 69-64.
Eastern is off until Tuesday, Dec. 10, when they return to the Convocation Center for a game with the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. in Ypsilanti, Mich. as the Phoenix come into the contest ranked No. 14 in the current Mid-Major Poll.
Evansville 78, Miami 65
EVANSVILLE, Ind.—Sophomore guard Reggie Johnson scored 21 points to lead the Miami University men’s basketball team at Evansville on Saturday afternoon, but it was not enough as the Purple Aces collected a 78-65 win.
It was the third 20-point scoring effort this season for Johnson, who eclipsed the 20-point mark in Miami’s first two games of the season. Johnson also added a career-high eight assists to his line. Sophomore guard Geovonie McKnight and senior forward Will Felder were the other RedHawks to score in double figures with 13 apiece. It was a career-high-tying mark for McKnight. Felder also had a team-best six rebounds and two blocked shots
The Purple Aces (6-3) led from the start of the first half and built a 12-point lead by the 9:57 mark, 23-11. Miami (1-5) went on a 7-1 flurry to shrink the gap to six by the 8:27 mark, 24-18. After a triple by freshman forward Joshua Oswald, Johnson knocked down four straight points for the Red and White during the surge. 
The teams went back and forth, but Evansville began to extend their lead, pushing it to 12 points with 1:32 to go in the opening 20 minutes. A bucket by Johnson with 40 seconds left put the Purple Aces’ lead at 10, which they carried into the half.
In the second half, Evansville extended its lead to 16 points, 52-36, by the 11:11 mark, but Miami chiseled away and was able to cut the deficit to single digits, 58-50, off a Felder layup with 6:32 to go. That was as close as Miami got as the Purple Aces went on to the 13-point win.
Evansville’s D.J. Balentine led all players with 22 points.
Miami has eight days off for final examinations before returning to action on Sunday, Dec. 15 when the RedHawks host local-rival Wright State at 2 p.m. at Millett Hall.
Toledo 80, Robert Morris 77
MOON TOWNSHIP, PA - Toledo remained undefeated on Saturday afternoon thanks to some clutch free-throw shooting down the stretch en route to an 80-77 triumph at Robert Morris (3-6). The victory improved the Rockets’ record to 8-0 this season and was UT’s fourth win in games decided by four points or less.
Senior guard Rian Pearson led the Rockets with 19 points and seven rebounds with junior guards Julius Brown and Justin Drummond each scoring 16 points apiece. Junior forward J.D. Weatherspoon also scored in double figures with 10 points.
Brown dished out a team-high seven assists, while Pearson grabbed a game-high three steals.
The Colonials received a pair of 20-plus scoring outings from junior forward Lucky Jones (25) and senior guard Karvel Anderson (23).  That duo combined to knocked down 9-of-11 three-point shots, helping RMU to convert an incredible 71.4 (10-of-14) percent of its long-distance attempts.
Robert Morris shot 63.3 percent (31-of-49) in the contest, the highest shooting mark against the Rockets in Head Coach Tod Kowalczyk’s four-year tenure. Toledo shot 50.0 percent (27-of-54) from the field, marking the sixth time this season it has made at least half of its shot attempts.
After trailing 41-37 at the half, Toledo took the lead for good. 68-66, on a Brown layup with 6:41 to play. Brown’s jumper then extended the Rockets’ lead to 74-68 with 3:40 left. Anderson made it a one-point game, 74-73, with a trey at the 2:39 mark. 
The two teams then traded baskets before Drummond hit four straight three throws down the stretch to keep UT’s lead at three.
 Toledo appeared ready to ice the game when freshman guard Jordan Lauf drew a charge, but the Rockets turned the ball over on their next possession. Drummond then fouled Anderson with one second left before he was able to get a shot off.
UT will now take a week off for final exams before returning to action on Saturday, Dec. 14 with a home matinee vs. Sam Houston State. Tip-off time is set for 1:00 p.m.
Northwestern 61, Western Michigan 35
EVANSTON, Ill. - The Western Michigan men's basketball team struggled to find its offensive rhythm and the Broncos fell 51-35 to the Northwestern Wildcats at Welsh-Ryan Arena on Saturday. With the loss, the Broncos fall to 5-3 on the season, while the Wildcats even their record at 5-5.
The Broncos authored a strong defensive effort against the Wildcats, holding their opponents to 18-of-55 (.327) shooting from the floor; however, the Broncos themselves struggled from the floor, shooting just 10-of-41 (.244) from the field and turning the ball over 15 times.
Shayne Whittington led the Broncos' with a team-high 12 points and a game-high 10 rebounds, giving him his fourth double-double of the season. David Brown added 10 points and five rebounds in 37 minutes of play, and Connar Tava contributed seven points, five rebounds, and three blocked shots. Drew Crawford led the Wildcats with 15 points.
The first half saw the Broncos struggle to score on offense as the Wildcats stifled their ability to drive into the paint and draw contact. The very start of the game was even, however; WMU trailed just 6-2 at the first media timeout, with Shayne Whittington providing a baseline dunk on a good feed from Austin Richie. Brown narrowed the Wildcat lead to four points with a pair of free throw makes at the 14:22 mark, and WMU pulled to within 8-6 when Whittington made a reverse lay-up at the 13:19 mark.
The Wildcats pushed the lead to double-digits with a jumper from Dave Sobolewski at the 9:58 mark, making it 16-6, and the lead went as high as 14 points on a 15-foot jumper from Nathan Taphorn at the 1:53 mark to make it 24-10. David Brown slashed into the Northwestern lead late in the half, though, taking a transition feed from Taylor Perry and laying it in just seconds remaining on the clock, making it 24-12 at the half.
The Wildcats kept the pressure on in the second half, opening on a 7-1 run through the first 5:28 to take a 31-13 lead over the Broncos. The lead reached its high water mark at the 7:56 mark of the second half, when Crawford made a three-pointer from the corner to give Northwestern a 41-21 advantage. Tava cut the lead to 46-30 with a lay-up make at the 3:57 mark, and Richie cut it to just a 14-point deficit with a lay-up on the next possession, but the Wildcats were able to work around the Broncos' press, keeping them at arm's length and closing out the 51-35 win.
Oakland 73, Ohio 56
ROCHESTER, Mich. – The Ohio University men’s basketball team (6-2) saw its five-game winning streak come to an end Saturday night after dropping a 73-56 contest to Oakland (2-7) at the Athletics Center O’Rena.
The Bobcats held a six-point edge (35-29) early in the second half, but Oakland used a lengthy 28-7 run midway through the half to build a 15-point lead that the Golden Grizzlies would not relinquish.
Ohio held a +6 advantage (42-36) in rebounds for the contest but committed a season-high 18 turnovers in the game which led to 20 points for the Golden Grizzlies. The Green & White shot 36.8 percent (21-57) from the field in the game and made just 3-of-24 attempts (.125) from beyond the arc.
Senior guard Nick Kellogg (Westerville, Ohio) led the Bobcats with a game-high 18 points on 7-of-14 shooting and added three rebounds in 31 minutes of action. He is now just three points shy of 1,000 for his career.
Junior guard Stevie Taylor (Gahanna, Ohio) added 14 points and two assists, while junior forward Maurice Ndour (Mbour, Senegal) added 12 points, nine rebounds and two blocks for the Bobcats.
Senior forward Jon Smith (Grove City, Ohio) chipped in 10 points, nine rebounds and three blocks. With his second block, Smith moved past Reggie Keely (2009-13) and into sixth on Ohio’s all-time blocks list. He now has 109 for his career.
Ohio held a 7-2 lead five minutes into the game as the Bobcats limited the Golden Grizzlies to 1-of-8 shooting to start the contest. The Green & White extended their edge to eight (13-5) on a pair of free throws from Kellogg, then went up by nine (15-6) after a jumper from Stevie Taylor with 7:47 to go in the half.
Oakland cut the Bobcat lead to six (21-15) with 4:05 to play in the opening half and were within one at 23-22 on a jumper from Corey Petros. The teams entered the half tied at 25-25 after the Golden Grizzlies closed the stanza on a 15-6 run.
The Bobcats limited the Golden Grizzlies to 32.1 percent shooting (9-28) in the frame and a 1-for-13 mark from beyond the arc. Ohio also held a +10 edge (24-14) in rebounds, but committed 10 turnovers to just three for Oakland.
Ohio scored 10 of the first 14 points of the second half to take a 35-29 lead with 14:53 to play, but from there, the Golden Grizzlies put together a 28-7 run over the next eight minutes to build a 57-42 advantage with 6:53 to go in the game. Ohio cut the Oakland led to 10 (62-52) with three minutes remaining, but could not move any closer for the remainder of the contest.
The Bobcats return to action next Saturday (Dec. 14) with a home contest against Alabama A&M (3-4). Tip off is scheduled for 2 p.m. inside the Convocation Center.