Tuesday's Men's Soccer Results

Updated 10/8/2013


Courtesy of MAC Athletic Communications Departments
West Virginia 3, Stony Brook 1
Detroit 2, Bowling Green 1
MORGANTOWN, W.Va. – The West Virginia University men’s soccer won its second-consecutive game with a 3-1 victory over Stony Brook on Tuesday evening at Dick Dlesk Soccer Stadium.
The win brings WVU’s record back to .500 at 5-5-1 and closes a five-game homestand.
“We played pretty well tonight, especially in the first half. That looked like our team early on this year,” coach Marlon LeBlanc says. “We were buzzing and flying around. We missed some chances, but the important thing is we created them and still found a way to score three goals.”
WVU held possession for the majority of the match and conceded just four shots, while taking 20, including five shots on-goal. Sophomore Majed Osman took a game-high four shots. Senior Craig Stephens, junior Andy Bevin and sophomore Jamie Merriam had three shots apiece.
Stephens had an excellent individual effort in setting up WVU’s first goal in the 38th minute. Stephens brought the ball up the right side of the field and took the ball into the corner. Flanked by two defenders, Stephens broke through and sent a centering pass to Osman, who easy slotted it into the net from the top of the 18-yard box.
“It was a great individual effort by Craig,” Osman says. “I pulled away and was open; he looked up and found me. All I had to do was put it in the back of the net.”
It was the fifth goal of the season for Osman, temporarily tying him for the team lead with Bevin.
WVU received some help from Stony Brook less than two minutes later when a shot deflected off a Seawolves defender. Freshman Alex Ochoa began the sequence, taking a shot that was blocked unintentionally by Bevin. Bevin then gained possession, turned his defender, and fired a shot that was going wide, but was miscleared by a defender into the goal for an own goal.
Stony Brook cut its deficit to 2-1 in the 70th minute on another own goal, this time by the WVU defense. Keith McKenna took a shot that was deflected by freshman Jack Elliott into the goal.
“We weren’t firing on all cylinders,” LeBlanc says. “There was a little lull in the second half that put them back in the game, but I’m really proud of the way we finished it and got the game back under control and found away to get the third (goal).”
In the 78th minute Bevin regained the team lead in goals with his sixth of the season on a penalty kick that a drawn by Ochoa. Ochoa entered the 18-yard box and was shouldered down to the ground by Stony Brook’s Mario Mesen.
Junior goalkeeper Lee Johnston improved his record to 5-3-1 without making a save. Stony Brook goalkeeper Carlos Villa lost his first match of the season, making two saves in the effort.
The Mountaineers return to Mid-American Conference play on Friday, Oct. 11, when they travel to Hartwick for a 7 p.m. kickoff. Links to live stats and a live video stream are available via WVUsports.com. 
BOWLING GREEN, Ohio - Adam Bedell's goal with just 4:37 left in the second half lifted the University of Detroit Mercy to a 2-1 win over the Bowling Green State University men's soccer team Tuesday night (Oct. 8). The non-conference match was held at Cochrane Field.
With the win, the Titans improve to 2-5-4 on the season. The Falcons' record also stands at 2-5-4 after Tuesday's result.
Senior Anthony Grant had given the Falcons a 1-0 lead in the 38th minute of the match, but the Titans scored late in each half to overcome that deficit. Zachary Atwood's long shot tied the match with only 41 seconds left before halftime, and Bedell's second-half goal proved to be the game winner.
The Falcons outshot Detroit in each half, and BGSU had advantages of 21-13 in shot attempts and 9-6 in shots on goal for the match. The Brown and Orange also had five corner kicks to the TItans' two.
After threatening to score on UDM goalkeeper Nathan Steinwascher on multiple occasions in the opening period, the home side finally broke through with 7:15 left before halftime. Senior Ryan Snashall won the ball deep in Titan territory, and brought it along the end line on the left side of the field. He slid a pass back to freshman Joe Sullivan, stationed near the 18-yard line. Sullivan quickly played a ball through several defenders to Grant, who was wide open for the easy tap-in at the far post. Sullivan and Snashall both drew assists on the play.
The Titans tied the score seemingly out of nowhere, however, as Atwood fired from distance in the 45th minute.
From there, neither team could break the tie until the late going. The deciding sequence began after a BGSU foul near midfield. Steinwascher took the kick, playing a long ball into the box. A BG defender momentarily cleared it out of the box, but the ball went to Matt DeVries in the center of the pitch. DeVries headed the ball forward to Tyler Moorman, who in turn nodded it past the Falcon defense to the onrushing Bedell. The 2012 Horizon League Player of the Year hit a one-timer that found the left corner of the net for the winning goal
The Falcons continue a three-match homestand Saturday night (Oct. 12), taking on Northern Illinois University in Mid-American Conference action. That game begins at 7:00 p.m. at Cochrane, and admission is free.