Sunday's Women's Soccer Results

Updated 10/4/2013

Courtesy of Home MAC Athletic Communications Departments

10/6 Women's Soccer Scoreboard

Northern Illinois 2, Buffalo 1
Central Michigan 0, Eastern Michigan 3
Miami , Kent State
Ohio , Ball State
Toledo , Akron
Western Michigan 5, Bowling Green 0


Northern Illinois 2, Buffalo 1

DeKALB, Ill. - Northern Illinois took on Buffalo in a MAC women's soccer match at the NIU Soccer Complex this afternoon at 1 p.m. on Sunday. The teams were physical with each other all game with players constantly fighting for position and possession. By the end of regulation, the scored was tied at 1-1. The first overtime went scoreless, but in the second, Courtney Ksiazek scored on a long floating shot that was just barely too high for opposing goaltender Ashley Wheldon, improving the Huskies' record to 4-7-1 on the season with a 2-2-0 MAC record. The win in double-overtime was the first in NIU women's soccer history. The Huskies remain unbeaten at home this year as well, having a 4-0-1 record while playing in front of the home crowd.
"They were feeling each other out early on," said Head Coach John Ross. "In the second half, both teams started to get a feel for the game, and that opened up more opportunities on both ends."
Judging the game only by first half, this looks like a defensive stalemate. The two teams combined for just one shot over the first 45 minutes of play, which was attempted by Buffalo and ended up wide of the goal. The teams went into the half in a scoreless tie.
In the second half, the game's pace picked up. Both teams were getting some opportunities near the opposing nets, but defensive play was resistant on both ends. The game didn't have a score until the 65th minute. On that play, Buffalo's Karen McMahon caught Amy Carr (Hemel Hempstead, England/Townsend Church of England) out of position and floated shot just out of the senior goaltender's reach to give Buffalo a 1-0 lead.
The Huskies were trying desperately to even the score in order to at least force overtime, and they almost came through in the 81st minute. Cori Frankenberg (Appleton, Wis./Appleton East) had great opportunity right in front of the opposing goal. She hit the back of the net with a shot, but the goal was called back due to an NIU foul. Thus, the score remained at 1-0, but only five minutes later, things changed.
A Buffalo foul gave NIU a free kick from about 45 yards away from Buffalo's goal. Amy Carr came out of the NIU goal to take the free kick for the Huskies. She drilled the ball at Wheldon, causing the ball to deflect off the Buffalo goaltender's hands. Ksiazek was right there to take the rebound, and she evened the score for the Huskies with less than five minutes left in regulation. The goal was Ksiazek's first of the season. The score stayed at 1-1 for the rest of regulation, and the teams headed to overtime.
In the first overtime period, both teams had scoring opportunities, but the defenses were able to prevent all scoring. As such, a second overtime period was needed. In that second overtime period, Ksiazek was the highlight player again. She had the ball from 35 yards out and shot it from there. It was a high, floating shot that was just out of Wheldon's reach, giving NIU the 2-1 win.
The two goal performance from Ksiazek was a career-best for her, it being the first time she scored two goals in a game. NIU hadn't taken an overtime win since September, 26 2010 when the team beat Ball State 1-0 at home. The Huskies had never won a game in double-overtime prior to this game.
The Huskies are going back on the road for their next few matches. First up is a game at Bowling Green, set for 6 p.m. on Friday, October 11.

Eastern Michigan 3, Central Michigan 0

MOUNT PLEASANT, Mich. ( – The Eastern Michigan University soccer team kept its winning streak going, claiming its sixth straight victory with a 3-0 shutout over Central Michigan University, Oct. 6. With the third consecutive weekend sweep, the Eagles improve to 7-4-1, including 4-0-0 start in Mid-American Conference play for back-to-back seasons.
Megan McCabe (Arlington Heights, Ill.- Prospect) (7-4-1) made two saves, playing all 90 minutes to record her first individual shutout of the season. Part of that back line that helped pitch the shutout was junior Emily Dzik (Troy, Mich.-Troy), who also added a goal, her second of the season. Angela Vultaggio (Chesterfield, Mich.-L'Anse Creuse North) opened up the EMU scoring, while Cara Cutaia (Burlington, Ontario-Notre Dame Catholic) finished it off with a second half goal. Senior Stephanie Clarke (London, Ontario-St. Thomas Aquinas) wrapped up a strong weekend with a pair of assists, and midfielder Martha Stevens (Bloomfield Hills, Mich.-Marian) added an assist of her own as well.
CMU goalkeeper Grace Labrecque (2-4-1) stopped four-of-seven shots the Eagles sent on goal. The Green and White outshot the Chippewas (2-9-1, 2-2-0 MAC), 11-8, while holding CMU to just two shots on goal. EMU also controlled corner kicks, 5-0.
Vultaggio scored her sixth goal of the season in the 11th minute, blasting a shot in the box that deflected off of a CMU defender and sailing past the diving goalkeeper. Three minutes later, the Chippewas tried to even the match with a shot by Kaelyn Korte, but McCabe prevented the shot from heading into the nail, keeping the Eagles ahead, 1-0.
With 11:43 remaining in the first half, EMU took advantage of a corner kick. Sending the ball in, Clarke found Dzik, and the Troy, Mich. native's header found the back of the net to increase the Eagles' lead to 2-0. Cutaia would finish off the team hat trick with her team-leading seventh goal of the season. The senior midfielder used her head to get the goal after another cross from Clarke.
The Green and White return to Ypsilanti for two more MAC contests next weekend. After EMU hosts Ball State Friday afternoon, Oct. 11, at 4 p.m., the Eagles will take on MAC East Division-leading Miami University Sunday, Oct. 13, at 1 p.m.

Miami 1, Kent State 0

OXFORD, Ohio – Miami Women’s Soccer overcame a speedy Kent State team and a rain-soaked field to extend its unbeaten streak to three games with a 1-0 win Sunday at the Miami Soccer Field. The RedHawks improved to 5-6-1 overall and 2-1-1 in the Mid-American Conference despite being outshot 12-10, including 4-2 in shots on goal, and surrendering 10 corner kick opportunities to the Golden Flashes, who fell to 7-5-0 and 2-2-0 in the MAC.
“With conditions that didn’t particularly favor us, the girls just had to grind it out,” head coach Bobby Kramig said. “It was a good, professional effort. We talked to them before the game about the need to get the early goal and we did that. All credit to Kent, they put a lot of pressure on us and we did a good job making it hold up.”
The Flashes pressured the Miami defense from the opening kick, earning three corners and a shot on goal between the 2:30 and 3:30 mark of opening half. Each time Kent State attacked, senior goalkeeper Allison Norenberg and the rest of the Miami defense stopped the attack.
“They’re really direct,” Kramig said of the Flashes’ offensive attack. “They just pound the ball forward and chase after it. I thought a few times in the first half our back four got a little flat footed. I think we figured it out and read it a lot better in the second half.”
After clearing the third corner in a row, the RedHawks moved the ball up field and started a counter-attack. The team kept the ball in the offensive half for the next two minute before working the ball to the middle of the field in the Kent penalty where senior forward and leading scorer Katy Dolesh took over possession and fired a shot on goal in the sixth minute. Kent State keeper Stephanie Senn made the save, but couldn’t control the ball as Dolesh regained possession, pushed it to her left and to fellow senior Kayla Zakrzewski who finished it into the back of the net from 10 yards out for her fourth goal of the year with 14:17 remaining on the clock in the first half.
Throughout the rest of the first half, the teams traded attacks with neither team gaining much of an advantage. The Flashes’ best opportunity in the half came with 19:18 left on the clock when the team gained three corners in a row, but Miami again stepped up defensively.
In the second half, Kent State tried to get the goal back, firing eight shots with two of them on goal, but again Norenberg made the saves to preserve her fourth shutout of the year.
The Golden Flashes’ best opportunity came at the end of the 58th minute when they worked the ball into the Miami penalty box and sent in a close-range shot. Norenberg made the save, but the ball sat in a puddle in front of the goal where the visitors picked it up and sent in another shot. This time the Miami defenders stepped in front of the ball, blocking the shot and clearing it out of the zone.
“It was part of the conditions,” Norenberg said about the scoring opportunity. “[The ball can] hit the ground and spray anywhere. I just put my whole body into it.”
The Miami keeper made four saves in the game to improve to 4-6-1 while her counterpart, Senn, stopped one of the two RedHawk shots that were on goal to move to 6-5-0. The Red and White earned two corners on the game.
Miami’s 2-1-1 MAC record puts the team in first place in the league’s East Division and fourth overall behind Western Michigan (4-0-0), Eastern Michigan (4-0-0) and Ball State (3-1-0).  The RedHawks take on the top two teams in the conference next weekend as they travel to face the Broncos on Friday, Oct. 11 followed by the Eagles on Sunday, Oct. 13. 

Ball State 2, Ohio 1

MUNCIE, Ind. -- Two goals in the first seven minutes Sunday propelled the Ball State soccer team to a 2-1 victory over Ohio on a rainy day at the Briner Sports Complex.
Leah Mattingly scored her first collegiate goal just 51 seconds into the game, and Michelle Blok added a score at the 6:17 mark to stake the Cardinals to an early two-goal lead.
Ohio managed to climb within one on a goal in the 73rd minute, but Ball State held off the Bobcats’ late charge to secure the win and improve to 8-3-1 overall (3-1 Mid-American Conference). Ohio dropped to 5-4-3 (1-2-1 MAC) with the loss.
Brooke Dennis played the full 90 minutes in goal for Ball State and made six saves, including several big ones in the second half. She made four of those saves after halftime as Ohio ramped up its attack.
“They were throwing more numbers forward in the second half,” Ball State coach Craig Roberts said. “We adapted and our girls maintained their composure. We had a couple breakaway chances to close out the game and really seal the deal, but we hung on and played strong to the end.”
It didn’t take long for Ball State to bounce back from its first MAC loss, which came earlier in the weekend against Kent State. The Cardinals applied early pressure and earned a corner kick less than a minute into the game. Cailey Starck lined it up and sent the ball sailing to the far post where Mattingly was there to knock it in. Starck’s assist was her fifth of the season, which leads the team.
Less than six minutes later, the Cardinals were on the attack again. Nicole Pembleton fired a shot that was blocked but came to rest at the feet of Maimee Morris. The senior captain sent a hard pass across the box and Blok deflected it into the left side of the net.
Ball State dominated play early, firing 14 shots in the first half to four for Ohio. But the Bobcats regrouped at halftime, changed up their formation and started to find some scoring opportunities. They finally broke through with a goal from Allison Cislo in the 73rd minute.
That one goal snuck past Dennis, but the freshman goalkeeper made a couple diving stops and defended some dangerous crosses to ensure Ohio would not find the equalizer.
Ball State managed a split of its weekend games to maintain the best overall record in the conference. In the MAC West Division, the Cardinals are a game behind Eastern Michigan and Western Michigan, both of which are 4-0 in league play.
Ball State will get its chance against both of those teams next weekend, traveling to face Eastern Michigan on Friday and Western Michigan on Sunday.

Toledo 1, Akron 0

TOLEDO, OH – Senior Rachel MacLeod scored the match’s lone goal to lead Toledo to a 1-0 shutout victory over Akron on Sunday at rainy Scott Park. With the blanking, the Rockets’ collect their first Mid-American Conference win of the season and improve to 4-8-0 overall, 1-3-0 in the league.
MacLeod received a pass from classmate Emily Tustin along the right side of the pitch and quickly made her way toward the top of the Zips’ (4-6-2, 1-3-0 MAC) goalbox. The Westerville, OH native fought off a couple UA defenders along the way before firing a low shot from approximately 18 yards out that glanced off the far post and rolled into the back of the net for her squad-best ninth tally of the season at 70:24.
The Midnight Blue & Gold controlled a majority of today’s action and finished with a sizable 18-8 edge in shots, with MacLeod registering a career-best seven shots. The three-time MAC regular-season champion Rockets also held a 7-1 edge in corner kicks to improve to 11-1-1 all-time against the Zips.
Between the posts, sophomore Sam Tiongson went the distance and was called upon to make five saves to earn her second shutout in 2013.
Toledo and Tiongson were tested early on, as Akron had two good chances to score in the fourth minute. UA’s Lani Smith corralled a loose ball around the top of the UT goalbox and fired a shot that Tiongson made an acrobatic save on. The Rockets’ netminder was not able to secure the ball completely, though, and allowed Akron’s Madison Kaser to rattle off a follow-up shot that she made another diving stop on to keep the match scoreless.
As the first half wore on, the Zips had another chance to break the scoreless tie off the foot of Kelly DeNiro with about 20 minutes left before intermission. DeNiro beat a pair of UT defenders down the middle of the pitch and fired off a low shot that slid just wide of the frame.
After dodging a couple of bullets by the visitors to take the early lead, the Rockets settled down and took over the match. The home team had their best chance to score in the opening stanza on a shot by MacLeod with just under 15 minutes showing on the clock. The 2011 MAC Offensive Player of the Year carried the ball down the right side of the field before making her way towards the top of the UA goalbox. MacLeod had a step on the defense and blasted a left-footed shot that Akron goalie Alex Luevano-Harden was in position to make the save and keep the score 0-0 at halftime. 
Toledo’s MacLeod kept to the attack to start the second half and was presented with another quality scoring opportunity with 32:56 left in regulation. MacLeod had her back to the goal off a throw in before quickly turning to her right and firing off a high shot that barely slid over the crossbar.
Less than five minutes later, UT’s Tustin accepted a corner kick from junior Kirsten Catloth and tried to ram home a hard shot toward the back post. Unfortunately for the Rockets, UA’s Luevano-Harden was once again in proper position to make the stop with 29:36 remaining in the final stanza.
UT would not be denied, though, and took advantage of MacLeod’s league-best ninth goal with just under 20 minutes left to assume a lead it would not surrender.
Toledo then remained disciplined at both ends of the pitch down the stretch and did not allow the Zips any good looks at the goal to preserve the shutout.
The Rockets will look to build off today’s momentum when they return to the field on Friday, Oct. 11 at Central Michigan. The opening whistle against the Chippewas is slated for 4:00 p.m. from the CMU Soccer Complex.

Western Michigan 5, Bowling Green 0

BOWLING GREEN, Ohio -- The Western Michigan women’s soccer team extended its winning streak to five games after a 5-0 rout at Bowling Green on Sunday afternoon.
Rachel Chaney netted two goals on the day, while Megan Ross, Ariana Donahue and Gina Maddi also got in on the action as the Broncos (6-3-2, 4-0-0, MAC) improved to a perfect 4-0 to start Mid-American Conference play. Michelle Watson and Kaitlyn Collin each made one save for the combined shutout.
“The team played very well,” said head coach Nate Norman. “I thought we did a good job finishing and also kept the ball extremely well.”
Chaney gave WMU a 1-0 lead in the eighth minute on a free kick that was deflected by a Falcon on the wall and trickled into the goal for her second of the season. She struck again in the 23rd minute after Aubrey Sudomier fired a shot on net that was initially saved by Lauren Cadel and Chaney tapped it in to give the Broncos a 2-0 lead.
Maddi struck in the 36th minute on a cross from Mackenzie Barber from eight yards out in the center of the box. Hope Spangler also tallied an assist on the goal for her first collegiate point.
The Broncos added two more goals in the second half with Ross striking in the 56th minute for her third goal of the season and Donahue tallying her second of the season in the 72nd minute to push the final lead to 5-0.
WMU, which starts 4-0 in MAC play for just the fourth time in program history, outshot the Falcons 21-7 on the day and allowed just two shots to reach goal. 
Western Michigan hosts MAC favorites Miami on Friday at 3 p.m. and then welcomes Ball State on Sunday at 1 p.m.