Friday's Men's Soccer Results

Updated 9/27/2013


Courtesy of MAC Athletic Communication Departments
Bowling Green 1, Marshall 1
Cornell 1, Buffalo 0
HUNTINGTON, WV - A late Marshall University goal lifted the Thundering Herd to a 1-1 tie with the Bowling Green State University men's soccer team Friday evening (Sept. 27). The non-conference match was held at Hoops Family Field at Veterans Memorial Soccer Complex.
The result leaves the Falcons with a 1-4-3 mark on the season, while MU is now 2-4-3.
Junior Danny Baraldi gave the Brown and Orange the lead with almost exactly an hour gone. After Falcon senior #Ryan Comiskey was taken down in the penalty area, Baraldi stepped up and hammered home a penalty kick at the 59:59 mark, putting BG on top by a 1-0 score.
For a while, it looked as if that goal would hold up as the winner. But, the Herd tied the score with exactly two minutes left in regulation. A long diagonal ball from Ben Holt sailed toward the penalty box from the left side of the pitch. Jack Hopkins, stationed just inside the 18-yard line, headed a high, arcing shot that flew just over the outstretched hands of BGSU senior goalkeeper Michael Wiest and nestled just under the crossbar.
Both teams were credited with 12 shots on Friday, with the Falcons holding an 8-5 edge in shots on goal. MU 'keeper Danny Sellitti made seven saves, while Wiest had three stops at the other end of the field. BGSU also had a 'team save,' as a shot by the Herd was blocked on the goal line by a Falcon defender.
The Falcons remain on the road, heading to Highland Heights, Ky., for a Sunday (Sept. 29) match vs. Northern Kentucky University. That contest will begin at 1:00 p.m.
BUFFALO, NY - The opportunities were consistent and quality, but the Buffalo men’s soccer team was unable to convert Friday evening, losing 1-0 to Cornell (6-0-2). The Big Red, who had lost only twice over the last 29 matches, used an early goal and a packed-in defense to keep UB (1-5-3) scoreless. 
In the 18th minute, a long throw-in from Cornell found its way into the box, and after being redirected ever-so-slightly off the head of a Big Red attacker it banked into the back corner of the net for the 1-0 advantage. Buffalo nearly leveled the score on the restart, but Kristian Lee-Him’s attempt off a Shane Satar cross spoiled high. In the 32nd minute, Russell Cicerone took a crack from the top of the box that went a few feet wide.
For the final half, it was nearly all Buffalo, but to no avail. Nicolai Berry drew a defender to his right side and made a quality attempt with his left foot, but it would wind up to the right by mere inches. Cicerone would have a point-blank attempts from about six yards out that was blocked down by a Cornell defender. Cicerone and Lee-Him connected on a goal in the 62nd minute, after Cicerone lobbed a ball deep into the box on a ball that was snuffed out. Cornell stuffed Buffalo’s attacking third with all but one player, but patience from the UB attack allowed for nearly constant pressure.
Buffalo’s last best chance would come early in the 89th minute, when a handball just outside the top of the box drew a free kick opportunity for Cicerone. After converting two penalty kicks the weekend prior, he would beat the six-man wall but would not sneak it past the goalie.
“It’s hard to be angry, it’s more frustration at this point, said head coach Stu Riddle. “We showed how far we’ve come and I thought we completely dominated the game start to finish. Whether it’s bad luck, bad finishing, or a combination of all three, we’re edging closer to some really good results.”
The Bulls will be back in action Sunday, traveling to Pittsburgh to face Robert Morris for an afternoon contest.