Friday's Men's Soccer Results

Updated 9/20/2013


Courtesy of MAC Athletic Communications Departments
Buffalo 2, Detroit 2
Western Michigan 2, Canisius 1
Fairleigh Dickinson 2, Northern Illinois 1 
DETROIT, MI - After allowing a pair of goals to host Detroit (0-2-4) in the first 22 minutes of the game, the Buffalo men's soccer team not only snapped its scoreless streak, but clawed its way back with a pair of goals to earn a hard-fought 2-2 tie Friday afternoon. Marek Albertscored his first career goal in the 37th minute, and Russell Cicerone added a penalty kick in the 80th minute to draw even. The two goals were the most that UB (0-4-3) has scored so far in 2013.
The Titans scored on a cross at the 16:04 mark in the first half, then added a second off a direct kick in the 22nd minute. Rather than give in, though, the Bulls took on an aggressive style and dictated the run of play for the rest of the game. Among the 14 shots taken by UB, eight were put on goal. Along with that, Buffalo was able to out-corner Detroit 8-3. 
Detroit's goalie was able to snuff out a quality opportunity from Cicerone after UB faced the early deficit, but a lengthy goal-less drought would come to an end in the 37th minute. Albert took a pass from Braden Culver and lined up a shot from about 12 yards out for his first goal as a Bull. The goal, added with a second goal that was waved off due to a close offsides call, had the team rolling through halftime. 
With just ten minutes remaining, Braden Scales took the ball on the attack and was pulled down in the box, drawing a foul call and a penalty kick opportunity. Cicerone got the call, and calmly put it away to cap the comeback. In the second overtime period, a free kick opportunity was stifled by another great save by the Titan goalie (who had six saves in the game), and a header from Austin Place off a corner kick floated just over the top bar. In the final three minutes of the last overtime period, the Bulls had another shot on goal from Cicerone, and three corner kicks. 
The Bulls will look to stay aggressive heading into its Sunday match at Cleveland State. The two teams will square off at 1 pm.
KALAMAZOO, Mich.- Freshman Matheau Rogers and sophomore defenseman Cam Jensen each netted a goal to lift Western Michigan to its third straight victory with a 2-1 win over visiting Canisius Friday.
It was the first home game of the season for the Broncos, who will return to the newly renovated WMU Soccer Complex Sunday against Milwaukee at 2:30 p.m. The Bronco women take the field against Western Illinois before the men at noon.
After playing its first six games of the season on the road, spirits were high for Western Michigan entering Friday’s match against the Golden Griffins. The Broncos (3-4-0) were also carrying momentum from back-to-back victories over Northern Kentucky and Eastern Illinois last weekend.
Western Michigan took a 1-0 lead over Canisius nine minutes into the game on an unassisted goal by Rogers, his team-leading fourth tally of the season. Freshman Josh Whitaker cleared a ball from the left side of the backfield which Rogers won around the center line. The crafty midfielder flipped the ball behind him and went on to beat three defenders, cutting through the middle of the field and unleashing a curling shot to the left of Canisius goalkeeper Ryan Arvin.
The Broncos carried the advantage into halftime, behind a strong defensive effort. Western Michigan goalkeeper Chase Rau was unflappable in the first half, making five impressive saves. Offensively, the Broncos had six shots in the half, four of which that went just wide or high of the goal.
Canisius (2-3-1) eventually evened the score in the second half on a hard strike by Alex De Carolis from just outside the 18 in the 63rd minute.
A corner kick just over 10 minutes later set Western Michigan up for the go-ahead and game-winning goal. Freshman Edu Jimenez served the corner from the right side and sophomore Connor Furgason headed it down into the box. Jensen slid in the loose ball on the right for his first goal of the season. It was the first career assist for Jimenez and the second for Furgason.
“I thought it was a really good college soccer match today,” said WMU head coach Chad Wiseman. “Canisius is a very good side and is very well organized. I thought both teams had chances and I thought the quality of chances from our guys was very good.
“We scored two great goals today. Rogers continues to grow, and grow, and grow. When they equalized late in the second half, our guys didn’t put their heads down and they really answered. That set piece from Edu, going center back to center back, in Connor to Cam for the game-winner was great.
“Our back line was probably the best we have played all year, Chase Rau too,” Wiseman added.
Rau finished with six saves. Both Western Michigan and Canisius took 14 shots in the game.
As part of Alumni Weekend, Western Michigan will honor the 10-year anniversary of the Bronco men’s and women’s soccer 2003 Mid-American Conference Tournament Championship teams at Sunday's games.
EVANSTON, Ill. -- Junior Isaac Kannah (Plymouth, Minn./Prairie Seeds Academy) opened the scoring but two second half goals gave Fairleigh Dickinson a 2-1 win over the Northern Illinois men’s soccer team on Friday evening in the Northwestern Lakeside Classic. 
“I thought that we kind of got away from how we want to play,” said NIU head coach Eric Luzzi. “It’s not normally our preference to allow the other team to get a hold of the game. Credit to Fairleigh Dickinson, they are a good team and there were stretches where they were able to get a hold of the game. I don’t know if that is a mental thing on our part, or physical, but we have to get back to being ourselves a little bit more. I don’t think this was the best account of who we are or who we can be.”
NIU had the first chance of the contest after drawing a free kick on a Fairleigh Dickinson (5-1-0) handball 25 yards from goal. Senior Sean Totsch (Oswego, Ill./Oswego) took the free kick and hit it high of goal in the fourth minute. 
The Knights first good look at goal came in the ninth minute as Christian Dietrich took a shot from near the top of the box that went just wide of the post to the left of NIU goalkeeper Andrew Glaeser (Walla Walla, Wash./Walla Walla/Oregon State). 
Four minutes later, Martin Lukaschik’s effort for Fairleigh Dickinson went high of Glaeser. The Knights were credited for seven shots in the opening 45 minutes, but none on target. 
Northern Illinois (2-5-0) took the lead in the 21st minute on Kannah’s third goal of the season. The Huskies built play through midfield before sophomore Bertrand Gaschot (Austin, Texas/Westwood) played a ball into the diagonal run of Kannah who slotted past FDU goalkeeper Jacok Lissek to give the Huskies a 1-0 lead. 
In the 31st minute, senior James Stevenson (Falkirk, Scotland/St. Mungo’s) had a chance to double the Huskie advantage. Stevenson started a good sequence of passing for NIU, finding Kannah who fed Gaschot who laid the ball back to Stevenson. His shot from just inside the box was saved by Fairleigh Dickinson goalkeeper Lissek.
After the halftime break, Glaeser was called upon to make his first save of the night in the 57th minute on a shot from a tight angle by Kean Lewis for the Knights. In the 67th minute, a miscommunication along the Huskie backline led to a chance for Simon Doherty but his effort went high of the goal. 
Glaeser came up with another save in the 70th minute on a shot from the edge of the box by Yusuf Hamza as NIU continued to hold the 1-0 advantage. 
In the 77th minute, Fairleigh Dickinson pulled even on a goal by Nicholas Walker. Glaeser punched away a cross, colliding with a Knight going up to challenge for the ball in the process. The punch fell to Walker near the top of the box and he leveled the match with Glaeser still down from the aerial challenge. 
The Knights continued on the front foot as Doherty forced a save from Glaeser on a turn and shot in the 80th minute. 
Fairleigh Dickinson took the lead in the 84th minute from Hamza. Nico Wright played a cross into the box from the left side; Doherty collected the cross and laid it off for a rocket by Hamza from 15 yards out that put the Knights in front. 
Pressing for an equalizer in the final minutes, Kannah had an effort blocked and junior Andrew Palumbo (Ft. Myers, Fla./Bishop Verot/Darton College) pulled a shot wide as the Huskies were unable to even the match in the final six minutes. 
NIU will return to Evanston, Ill., on Sunday, Sept. 22, when the Huskies wrap up the Northwestern Lakeside Classic against Saint Mary’s. Game time against the Gaels is scheduled for 11:30 a.m.