Sunday's Women's Soccer Results

Updated 9/20/2013

Sunday's Scoreboard 9/22:

Akron 1, Cleveland State 2
Miami 0, Marshall 1
Toledo 0, Dayton 4
WMU 4, Western Illinois 0
Bowling Green 1, Evansville 2
Eastern Michigan 4, Indiana State 0


Akron 1, Cleveland State 2

AKRON, Ohio – The University of Akron (3-3-2) women's soccer team fell to Cleveland State University (6-4-1) by a score of 2-1 on Sunday afternoon at FirstEnergy Stadium – Cub Cadet Field.
Cleveland State's Vickie Havas scored the first goal of the match in the 29th minute to give the Vikings a 1-0 lead as the game went into half.
The Vikings added to their lead in the 81st minute with a goal by Amanda Sivic to take a 2-0 lead with less than 10 minutes less in the half.
Akron would cut into the Cleveland State lead in the 83rd minute with a goal from senior midfielder Kelly DeNiro, her first of the season. DeNiro's goal brought the game to its final score of 2-1. 
Despite incurring the loss, Akron out-shot CSU, 25-6, and also produced more shots on goal, 9-3. DeNiro led the Zips with nine shots, three on goal, while Lani Smith, Sarah Sivic, and Megan Waskowski each had three shots.
Sophomore goalkeeper Klaire Adee saw her record in goal fall to 3-3-2 with the loss on Sunday. Adee registered one save in the contest to bring her season total 28.
Akron will kickoff Mid-American Conference play next weekend, as two home matches are scheduled. UA is scheduled to matchup with Miami (Ohio) at 7 p.m., on Friday and Ball State on Sunday at 1 p.m.

Miami 0, Marshall 1

HUNTINGTON, W.Va. – For the fourth-straight game, Miami’s women’s soccer team was edged by just one goal, this time by a 1-0 score at Marshall on Sunday afternoon. The RedHawks (3-5-0) surrendered a goal in the 24th minute and couldn’t get the offense going on the field turf at the Thundering Herd’s (5-2-1) new soccer complex.
Miami’s high-powered offense, which averaged 2.71 goals per game entering the match, had been held to fewer than two goals just once through its first seven games this season. The team’s last shutout loss came over a year ago on Sept. 14, 2012 to IPFW.
“I didn’t think we competed particularly well today,” head coach Bobby Kramig said. “I didn’t think our energy level was where it needed to be. It has to be better. I think we struggled a little with the playing surface, their brand new field turf, but we have to go up to Akron and Buffalo to play on it next week. We beat Valparaiso on it earlier in the season.”
Just over midway through the first half Marshall got loose in midfield and moved into the Miami defensive half. Sydney Arnold crossed the ball from the right corner and found leading scorer Myka DeMarco open at the top of the penalty area. DeMarco fired the shot from 20 yards out and found the top of the net over Miami senior goalkeeper Allison Norenberg for the 1-0 advantage.
“We had a defensive breakdown that gave them some room to play,” Kramig said. “We didn’t get enough pressure on them and they had a good finish in the upper 90 from the top of the box. We should never allow them to have that look at our goal. They’re a good team and will finish that almost every time.”
The RedHawks limited the offensive opportunities for Marshall throughout the game, allowing just one other shot on goal which Norenberg safely collected.
“I was pleased with our back four,” Kramig said. “We made a couple changes and I thought we played well back there. [Freshman] Rachel Marble played very well. [Fellow freshman] Dana Miller had a very good game back there. The upside of this game is we didn’t allow very many chances.”
Miami controlled the play in the second half, keeping the ball in the offensive half for most of the final 45 minutes. Despite maintaining possession and taking six shots in the half, the RedHawks only placed one shot on goal, which Marshall keeper Lizzie Kish turned away to preserve her fifth shutout of the year.
Kish made three saves to improve to 5-2-1 while Norenberg stopped one shot to fall to 2-5-0. Senior Kayla Zakrzewski, junior Kelsey Dinges and sophomore Haley Walter, who had her four-game goal streak snapped, each had a shot on goal for Miami to lead the offense in the final non-conference game of the season before starting Mid-American Conference play next weekend.
“We’re a better team than we showed today,” Kramig said. “I have total confidence in our team. Everything we’ve been doing so far is about competing in the MAC, competing for a MAC championship, and I have every confidence we can do that. The lesson from this game is we have to come ready to play every game from the start.”
Up next for the RedHawks is a road trip to take on league foes Akron and Buffalo on Sept. 27 and 29, respectively. The team’s first home MAC match is Friday, Oct. 4 against rival Ohio.

Toledo 0, Dayton 4

TOLEDO, OH – Toledo suffered a 4-0 setback against Dayton in Sunday’s non-conference finale at Scott Park. With the loss, the Rockets fall to 3-5-0 on the season.
The Flyers (5-4-1) blew open a close match with three goals in the final eight-plus minutes to remain unbeaten in five all-time contests (4-0-1) against UT.
UD’s Ashley Campbell paced the victors with two goals, while teammates Stephanie Emery and Meghan Scharer also found the back of the net to hand the Midnight Blue & Gold its worst setback since a 5-1 decision at Illinois on Aug. 21, 2011.
Dayton drew first blood on Emery’s third goal of the season at 10:09. The speedy forward accepted a nice diagonal pass from Juliana Libertin along the right side of the pitch. She then took a quick touch to give herself a little breathing room from the Toledo defense before placing a low shot just out of the reach of UT sophomore keeper Sam TIongson for the eventual match-winning tally.
Facing an early deficit, the Rockets turned up the intensity offensively and had an opportunity to tally the equalizer on a shot by sophomore Megan Connor with a little under 31 minutes remaining in the opening half. Connor found a small seam in the UD defense about 15 yards out on the left side. She tried to maneuver a low shot just inside the near post, but Dayton goalie Elizabeth James was in proper position to make an acrobatic diving stop and knock the ball out of play.
As the first period wore on, Dayton was presented with a good chance to extend its lead off the boot of Campbell with approximately 20 minutes left on the clock. Emery started the play with a nice run down the right side and found Campbell in the middle of the UT goal box about seven yards from the end line. Campbell attempted to put a shot just inside the far post, but it glanced off the iron and caromed out of danger.
Following the intermission, UT had a chance to draw the teams even on a header by junior Alexis Tice. The home team had a free kick from approximately 30 yards out on the left side with a little over 35 minutes left in regulation. Freshman Brooke Maletic put the ball in play with a nice cross into the middle of the Dayton goal box to a soaring Tice. The Palatine, IL native simply out jumped the opposition and put a hard header on the frame. UD goalie James was once again in proper position to register the save and keep it a 1-0 difference.
In a see-saw battle for the opening 80-plus minutes, the Flyers had another opportunity to double its advantage off the foot of Libertin with 22:21 left in the contest. Libertin received a pass from Meghan Blank and made a long run down the right side of the pitch. She had about a half step on Toledo junior defender Kirsten Catloth and tried a blast a shot into the near post from about eight-yards out, but UT netminder Tiongson came off her line and made an acrobatic diving stop.
Moments later, UD’s Campbell beat an offside trap by the home team and found herself one-on-one with Toledo’s Tiongson. Campbell promptly hit a hard, low shot that Tiongson had no chance to stop to increase the visitors lead to 2-0 at 81:51. Libertin was credited with the assist on the play.
Campbell’s tally opened up the floodgates as UD scored two more goals over the next four-plus minutes to put the contest out of reach.
The Flyers’ third score came on a long shot by Scharer at the 83:26 mark. Off a corner kick, UD’s Blank played a short pass to Scharer about 25 yards from the endline. The defender was not quickly covered on the play, so she blasted a shot over the head of Tiongson and into the back of the net.
Dayton then wrapped up the scoring on Campbell’s second goal of the afternoon and team-best eighth of the season at 86:42. The well-skilled attacker took advantage of a lapse in the Toledo defense and sprinted down the middle of the pitch unmarked before hammering home a high shot from about 12 yards out. Lesley Chilton earned the helper on the final tally to set the final margin at 4-0.
UD finished with a 21-10 edge in shots, including a match-best five each by Campbell and Libertin. Connor paced UT with a team-high three shots.
Toledo’s TIongson went the distance between the posts and posted a career-high nine saves. Her previous best effort was eight stops vs. Pepperdine on Sept. 8, 2013.
The Rockets return to action on Friday, Sept. 27 when they open Mid-American Conference play vs. Western Michigan. The opening whistle is slated for 4:00 p.m. at the corner of Hill Ave. and Parkside Blvd.

Western Michigan 4, Western Illinois 0

KALAMAZOO, Mich. -- Michelle Watson needed to make just one save and four different Broncos scored as the Western Michigan women’s soccer team defeated Western Illinois, 4-0, in front of 250 fans at the WMU Soccer Complex on Sunday afternoon.
Watson’s one save and the dominating possession by Western Michigan (2-3-2) resulted in the fifth shutout of the season and the 20th of Watson’s career. With that she matched the program record for shutouts in a season, tying Katie Perz, who set the record from 2002-05. The Broncos held the Leathernecks to just one shot on goal and four total shots on the day. 
“Michelle has obviously been a staple at this program,” said head coach Nate Norman. All the success the team has had over the past three seasons, she has been a big part of it. She is fantastic in the air, confident with the ball and a great leader back there and we are happy to have her as our last line of defense.”
Ariana Donahue gave the Broncos the lead on her first collegiate goal in the 27th minute. Ali Russo played the ball across the box to Aubrey Sudomier and Sudomier sent it into the middle of the box for the tap-in by Donahue.
“I thought the ball was going out but I got in the box, ran in there and Aubrey was able to head it back and I just thought ‘Don’t miss this,’ and I didn’t,” said Donahue.
The Broncos added to their lead early in the second half after a foul just outside the right corner of the box resulted in a free kick. Rachel Chaney passed the ball around the wall to Sudomier and she took it in and slotted it into the lower-left corner of the net for her first of the season.
WMU pushed the lead to 3-0 after Gina Maddi fired a shot from just outside the box and into the top-right corner of the net in the 65th minute. Just six minutes later in the 71st minute Kyle Nylen fired a shot from distance and it bounced off of the crossbar and down into the goal for her first of the season to give WMU a 4-0 lead.
“I think throughout the season we had never had an issue creating chances, it was always just could we finish,” added Norman on the outburst of goals. “And the girls finished today. After we scored that second goal in the second half it just really opened up for us.”
With the non-conference season over with the Broncos head into Mid-American Conference play on Friday at Toledo. They then return to Kalamazoo and host Northern Illinois on Sunday, Sept. 29, at 1 p.m.

Bowling Green 1, Evansville 2

BGSU put forth a spirited effort, taking the lead on an early Madeline Wideman goal and generating just as many scoring chances as the visitors in the opening half. The Aces, however, tied the match on a second-half goal by Bronwyn Boswell, and Smith's shot early in the OT period enabled the visitors to leave Cochrane with a victory.
The Purple Aces had a 29-8 advantage in total shots attempted, and UE put 13 shots on goal to the Falcons' two. But, BGSU's early goal gave the home team momentum, and the Brown and Orange enjoyed a large amount of possession time in the opening period.
Each team's goalkeeper had a nervous moment in the game's early going, as both UE 'keeper Simone Busby and BGSU redshirt freshman Lauren Cadel nearly gave the ball away within the first 10 minutes.
With nearly eight minutes elapsed in the match, a Cadel pass, intended for a teammate, was deflected by an Evansville striker. The ball went to Smith, who tried to quickly fire a shot toward the vacated goal. But, the UE sophomore could only direct the ball over the end line, well wide of the goal.
Just over two minutes later, Busby returned the favor at the other end of the pitch. She attempted to play a ball to a teammate, but badly muffed her pass, and the ball went directly to Falcon freshman Haley Malaczewski on the right side of goal near the top of the 18-yard box. Malaczewski, understandably, was unprepared for the ball to be passed to her, and her first touch was a little stronger than she would have liked. The ball bounded back toward the UE 'keeper, who gratefully fell on it.
Three minutes later, however, Busby would not be so lucky. Malaczewski was again involved in the play, as her defensed forced an Evansville turnover near midfield. The ball went to Wideman, who began a long run down the center of the field. As she neared the penalty area, the BG senior expertly lofted a shot over the UE goalie, who had strayed just slightly off of her end line. The ball nestled into the back of the net, just under the crossbar, and the Falcons had the lead with 12:44 gone.
The goal seemed to give the Falcons some confidence as well as momentum, and BGSU had several scoring chances as the half progressed. Midway through the period, senior co-captain Alyssa Carmack played a ball ahead to redshirt junior Kylie Briem. Briem successfully traded passes with freshman Taylor Bucaro, taking Bucaro's return pass down the right side. But, as she was hounded by a defender, Briem's crossing attempt hit the side netting.
With 26 minutes gone, BG's other co-captain, Jenny Fowler, made a run down the center of the pitch and found classmate Kaitlyn Tobin nearing the penalty area. Tobin took a touch and fired a shot from 18 yards out, but the ball was hit directly at Busby, who made the stop.
Less than a minute later, the Aces won a corner kick, Emily Richardson's right-side corner found the head of Lauren Tiernan, the tallest player on the field. Tiernan directed her shot on goal from close range, but a BG defender was able to block the shot on the goal line, and the Falcons cleared the ball out of danger.
The end-to-end action continued, as a steal by Wideman led to another shot by Tobin, but the ball was wide of goal. Moments later, though, Wideman played a diagonal ball into the box, and sophomore Haley Parkinson deflected the ball with a nifty backheel. The ball rolled across the six-yard box, but an Evansville defender was the first to reach it, knocking it out of the penalty area.
BG won the ball back yet again, and Wideman ripped a shot that sailed just high. At the other end, Smith put some force behind a long shot, forcing a leaping Cadel to tip the ball away just before it reached the upper right corner of the goal.
That shot seemed to give the visitors momentum, as UE had five more shot attempts and three corners in a span of less than four minutes. Cadel made saves on shots by Tiernan and Stephanie Thompson, though, keeping the Falcons in the lead. Smith's effort with 9:18 on the clock, which sailed wide of goal, was the last shot by either team in the first half.
The Falcons open Mid-American Conference play next weekend, taking to the road to face Ohio University on Friday (Sept. 27) and Kent State University two days later.

Eastern Michigan 4, Indiana State 0

YPSILANTI, Mich. ( – The Eastern Michigan University soccer team picked up its second victory in as many games, shutting out Indiana State University, 4-0, at Scicluna Field Sunday, Sept. 22.  The Eagles recognized the match as Ovarian Cancer Awareness Day, wearing teal armbands, headbands and special white jerseys with teal-colored numbers, the color of ovarian cancer awareness.
EMU controlled the contest from start to finish as Angela Vultaggio (Chesterfield, Mich.- L'Anse Creuse North) scored a pair of second-half goals to lead the Green and White (3-4-1). Cara Cutaia (Burlington, Ontario-Notre Dame Catholic) and Bianca Rossi (Mississauga, Ontario -St. Marcellinus) also found the net for the Eagles.
Megan McCabe (Arlington Heights, Ill. -Prospect) (3-4-1) and Anna Vess (Shelby Twp./Mich.-Eisenhower) split time between the posts to secure the EMU's first shutout of the season. McCabe made five saves in over 83 minutes of work, while Vess stopped one shot against the high-scoring Sycamores (3-6-0), a team that recorded 15 goals throughout the season heading into the match.
ISU goalkeeper Abby Keller (1-1-0) faced 10 shots on the afternoon, preventing six of them from going into the net. Eastern had an 8-1 advantage in corner kicks and also outshot Indiana State, 22-12, including 10-6 in shots on goal.
For the second straight match, the Eagles did not waste time grasping the lead. In the seventh minute, Cutaia relayed a pass to Allison Kaim (Palos Hills, Ill.-AA Stagg). Making her first start of the season, veteran senior led Rossi into the box, and Rossi snuck the ball past Keller as EMU jumped out in front, 1-0.
Over 10 minutes later, Rossi was on the opposite end of another EMU goal. The Mississauga, Ontario native found sophomore Jennifer Bentley (London, Ontario-London Secondary) on the left side of the field, who sent a cross into Cutaia. As the team leader in goals, Cutaia knew what to do, taking advantage of the superb pass and blasting it into the net to give the Eagles a two-goal advantage. The Eastern backs would prevent ISU from having any decent scoring opportunities, and the Green and White headed into the half with a 2-0 lead.
At halftime, the EMU soccer family presented a plaque and flowers to the Kaim family. Cheryl Kaim, mother of current player Allison and former player Julie Kaim, passed away in 2011 fighting ovarian cancer. Cheryl was not only a mother to her girls, but to the entire EMU soccer team. The Eagles honored her and the rest of those affected by ovarian cancer by raising over $5000 for the National Ovarian Cancer Coalition.
In the second half, Vultaggio scored both goals for the Eagles, beginning in the 48th minute. Rossi tallied her second assists of the contest by leading Vultaggio, who sprinted 30 yards and broke away from the defender to rifle the ball past the ISU goalie, increasing the lead to three. Closing out the scoring, Martha Stevens (Bloomfield Hills, Mich.-Marian) and Megan Trapp (Plymouth, Mich.-Canton) set up Vultaggio for another goal with 16:37 remaining, giving the Eagles their second four-goal victory in three days.
With the non-conference portion of the schedule complete, EMU opens up Mid-American Conference action with a pair of contests at Scicluna Field next week. The Eagles host Northern Illinois University, Sept. 27, at 5 p.m., before the University of Toledo comes to town for a 1 p.m. start, Sept. 29.