MAC Football Saturday Scoreboard: Sept 14th

Updated 9/14/2013

MAC Football Scoreboard:  Saturday, Sept. 14

Michigan 28, Akron 24  
Indiana 42, Bowling Green 10 
Rutgers 28, Eastern Michigan 10
Buffalo 26, Stony Brook 23 (5 OT)
North Texas 34, Ball State 27  
Northern Illinois 45, Idaho 35  
Toledo 33, Eastern Washington 21  
LSU 45, Kent State 13  
Kansas State 37, UMass 7  
Ohio 34, Marshall 31 
Northwestern 38, Western Michigan 17
UNLV 31, Central Michigan 21

Game stories courtesy of MAC Athletic Communications Departments.  Photo courtesy of the Associated Press.

Michigan 28, Akron 24
ANN ARBOR, Mich. – Down 21-10 in the third quarter and with over 100,000 fans rooting against them, Akron had a fourth-and-goal play to win come up short and the Zips fell 28-24 to No. 11/12 Michigan on Saturday at Michigan Stadium.
The Zips (1-2) had the ball at their own 25 with 2:49 to go and a chance to win at the "Big House," but Kyle Pohl's pass into the endzone missed its mark. Pohl finished the game 25-of-49 passing for 311 yards and two touchdowns. He helped put the Zips in the position to win by connecting on 16-of-27 passes for 229 yards and two touchdowns in the second half.
Akron finished the game with 418 yards of offense (311 passing, 107 rushing) compared to Michigan's 425 (248 passing, 177 rushing). The Zips forced four turnovers and committed two of their own. UA held a 33:16-26:44 advantage in time of possession.
Jawon Chisholm led the Akron ground attack with 58 yards on 15 carries. L.T. Smith finished with five catches for 125 yards. Zach D'Orazio finished with six catches for 97 yards and one touchdown.
Malachi Freeman led the Akron defense with nine tackles while Justin March finished with two interceptions – including one for a touchdown – to go along with four tackles.
Devin Gardner led the offense for Michigan (3-0), connecting on 16-of-30 passes for 248 yards, two touchdowns and three interceptions. He also had 103 yards rushing on 10 carries with one touchdown and one fumble.
After forcing a three-and-out to open the second half, the Zips marched down the field as Pohl connected with D'Orazio for a 28-yard touchdown with 9:56 left in the third period. The eight-play, 75-yard drive gave Akron a 10-7 lead.
The Wolverines would answer with a four-play, 57-yard drive to regain the advantage, 14-10, with 8:13 to go in the third quarter. On its next possession, Michigan would take a 21-10 lead on a 33-yard touchdown pass from Gardner to Jehu Chesson.
March put the Zips back in the game with a 27-yard pick-six to cut the UM lead to 21-17 with 14:46 to go in the game. It was his second interception of the afternoon.
Akron looked as if it were going to take the lead, driving all the way down to the Michigan 2-yard line before Pohl was picked off in the endzone with 12:54 left in the game.
The Zips defense would hold and Akron would take a 24-21 lead with 4:10 remaining on a 1-yard TD pass from Pohl to Tyrell Goodman. The Wolverines would answer, driving 70 yards on four plays to regain the lead at 28-24 with 2:49 remaining.
Akron had its chance, driving down the field from its own 25, to set up 3rd-and-1 at the 1-yard line. Chisholm was dropped behind the line, setting up fourth down with 0:05 remaining. Michigan brought the pressure, forcing Pohl to hurry his pass and overthrow his receiver to end the game.
UM opened up the scoring, connecting on a 48-yard touchdown pass on its first possession to take a 7-0 lead at the 10:29 mark of the first quarter.
Akron would answer late in the first quarter with a 45-yard field goal by Robert Stein at the 2:59 mark. The score was set up after the defense forced a three-and-out by the Wolverines inside their own 10-yard line, followed by a 21-yard punt by the UM punter.
The Wolverines were driving in the middle of the second quarter when Nordly Capi forced Gardner to fumble. Jamel Turner would recover the ball and return it to the Akron 22.
Six plays later, Pohl would be picked off by UM's Blake Countess, giving the Wolverines the ball at the Akron 20. However, DeAndre Scott would get the ball back for the Zips with his first career interception.
Akron would drive down the field, but Stein's 45-yard field goal attempt hit the left upright, giving Michigan the ball back with 43 seconds left in the half.
Stein would miss his second-straight field goal, this time pushing a 55-yard attempt just left as the Zips went into the locker room trailing 7-3.
The Zips return home on Saturday, Sept. 21, to play host to the Louisiana at InfoCision Stadium – Summa Field. Kickoff is set for 6 p.m. ET and the contest will air live on ESPN3.
Zips Notebook: Robert Stein's missed field goal in the second quarter snapped a streak of nine-consecutive makes dating back to last season (one make in 2013) ... the Akron defense recorded three interceptions against one quarterback for the first time since Keith Wenning threw three interceptions for Ball State (Nov. 6, 2010) ... Justin March became the first Akron player with two interceptions since Miguel Graham had two INTs against Eastern Michigan on Nov. 27, 2009 ... the Zips debuted another new helmet design today, featuring a "Z" logo on each side.
Indiana 42, Bowling Green 10     
Junior Paul Senn scored on a highlight-reel quality blocked punt in the first quarter, but it was not enough as the Bowling Green State University football team fell, 42-10, to the University of Indiana Saturday afternoon (Sept. 14). The non-conference game was held at IU's Memorial Stadium.
With the win, the Hoosiers improve to 2-1 on the year, while dropping the Falcons to 2-1 as well.
Trailing by a touchdown with just over 10 minutes gone in the opening period, the Falcons tied the score on Senn's spectacular play. The Norco, Calif., native stormed through the IU line to smother a punt off the foot of the Hoosiers' Erich Toth. Almost without breaking stride, Senn caught the ball and raced 56 yards untouched into the end zone. Tyler Tate's point-after try was successful, tying the game at 7-7.
BGSU took the lead on a 45-yard field goal by Tate, the longest of his career, early in the second period, but from that point on it was all Hoosiers. IU scored 35 unanswered points to end the game.
Tevin Coleman scored the first two touchdowns for the home team, with runs of 1 and 43 yards. IU quarterback Nate Sudfeld threw scoring tosses to Kofi Hughes and Cody Latimer, then scored himself from a yard out to give the hosts a 35-10 lead early in the fourth quarter. Tre Roberson added the final TD on a 3-yard run with 11:40 to go.
The Hoosiers had a narrow advantage in first downs over the Falcons, 25-24. But, IU had 601 yards of total offense, compared to 409 for the Brown and Orange. Two IU backs went over 100 yards rushing on the day, as Stephen Houston had 155 yards on 13 carries, while Coleman rushed 19 times for 129 yards.
Sudfeld was 17-of-26 for 335 yards through the air, with the two TDs. Latimer was his favorite receiver on the day, with six catches for 137 yards and a score.
For the Falcons, Matt Johnson threw for 248 yards, completing 25 passes in 44 attempts. Chris Gallon and Shaun Joplin combined for 15 receptions on the afternoon. Gallon caught a team-high eight balls for 82 yards, while Joplin led the Falcons with 102 receiving yards on seven catches.
Travis Greene led the Brown and Orange on the ground, with 43 yards on 11 carries. Fred Coppet added 40 yards on seven tries.
The Falcons return home to begin a three-game homestand next Saturday (Sept. 21). BGSU will host Murray State University at Doyt Perry Stadium, with kickoff scheduled for 3:30 p.m.
Rutgers 28, Eastern Michigan 10     
PITSCATAWAY, N.J. – The Eastern Michigan University football team dropped its second-straight road contest to Rutgers University Saturday, Sept. 14, at Highpoint Solutions Stadium in Piscataway, N.J. The Eagles (1-2) fell, 28-10, despite out-gaining RU, 373 to 274.
Tyler Benz led the Eastern offense by throwing of 335 yards on 24-of-40 passing, with a touchdown and an interception. The 24 completions were the most in his career as the senior had completed 19 passes twice previously, most recently against Howard, Aug. 31, 2013. The Eagles out-gained Rutgers by nearly 100 yards offensively. Bronson Hill led the EMU rush attack with 30 yards, while Ryan Brumfield added 21. Tyreese Russell had nine receptions for 84 yards and Dustin Creel pulled in four passes for 77 yards. Brumfield's only catch was a 43-yard touchdown catch on a double pass.
James Paul led the Rutgers offense with 192 rushing yards and all three of the offensive touchdowns for the Scarlet Knights. Chas Dodd was 4-of-9 passing, while Gary Nova went a perfect 4-for-4. None of the Rutgers' receivers had more than two catches or totaled more than 30 yards receiving.
Defensively, Mycal Swaim led EMU with eight total tackles, while Ike Spearman, Donald Coleman and Great Ibe each totaled six tackles. Kalonji Kashama and Pat O'Connor each added a sack.
For Rutgers, Steve Longa totaled 12 tackles, including two sacks to head the Scarlet Knights' defense. Lew Toler added 10 tackles while Marcus Thompson and Quentin Gause each had eight. Thompson also posted 1.5 sacks on the day. The only turnover came when Lorenzo Waters forced Benz to toss an interception.
After receiving the opening kick, the Scarlet Knights traveled down the field to take a quick 7-0 advantage. Rutgers took eight plays to jaunt 87 yards down the field for a touchdown score. RU used an untimely penalty of roughing the passer to get inside EMU territory to set up a score as Paul James scampered 13 yards into the south endzone for the score just three minutes and 51 seconds into the game.
In the following Eastern possession, Benz led the EMU offense 53 yards down the field, including going 3-for-6 for 52 yards, to the 29-yard line of Rutgers before being forced into a fourth down situation.  Mulder setup for a field goal, just the second time the field goal team took the field this season. Mulder knocked a 39-yarder straight through the uprights, good for the third-longest of his career making it 7-3 in favor of the Scarlet Knights with 7:36 left on the clock.
The scoring did not come to a halt after the field goal. Quron Pratt took the ensuing kickoff 99 yards from the Rutgers' one-yard line to the house, putting RU up, 14-3, with 7:22 remaining in the opening quarter of play at Highpoint Solutions Stadium.
After being pinned deep in its own territory, Eastern was forced to punt from its own nine yard line. A 21-yard punt gave Rutgers the ball at the EMU 30-yard line, setting up a short field for the Scarlet Knights. Strong EMU defense held at the 30 before an illegal forward pass penalty was enforced, pushing Rutgers back to the Eastern 34-yard line. The Scarlet Knights attempted a 51-yard field goal but the kick was wide right, giving the Green and White the ball at the 34.
Eastern got back on the board nearly 15 minutes after the last score. The Eagles drove down the field for 85 yards in just five plays. EMU started at its own 15-yard line, and Benz threw for 80 of the 85 yards in that drive. After getting down to the Rutgers' 43-yard line, a double pass in which Brumfield slung the ball over to Benz, who return-fired back to Brumfield, giving him open space to dash down the field and score the second touchdown of the day for Eastern to make it 14-10, where the in favor of Rutgers with 7:25 remaining in the first half. It was just Brumfield's third reception and longest of his career. The play was also EMU's longest offensive play and the most yards allowed in a single play by Rutgers this season.
Benz went 9-for-15 in throwing attempts, tossing for 166 yards and a score. Brumfield's one reception for 43 yards was the longest play of the half and the most total receiving yards in the first 30 minutes. Dustin Creel had one reception for 31 yards, while Demarius Reed, Jay Jones and Tyreese Russell each nabbed a pair of passes. Eastern led Rutgers in total yards by 98 in the first half, 215-117, including a 92 yard edge in the passing game, 166-74.
Spearman and Ibe led the defense in the first half with five tackles each, while O'Connor and Kashama both had a sack. Kashama also forced a fumble for EMU.
The Eagles received the opening kick of the second half but were stumped by the Rutgers defense. After EMU punted, the Scarlet Knights needed just three plays to finish the series 80 yards down the field. James took a handoff from Dodd at the Eastern 45-yard line and dashed outside to the sideline scurrying 55 yards for his second score of the game, giving Rutgers a 21-10 lead with 11:03 left in the third quarter.
Defense ruled the majority of the second half however the Scarlet Knights got on the board another time when James struck again in the fourth quarter. With 8:29 on the clock, Rutgers used three plays to go 58 yards for another score. RU moved the ball from the its own 42 and got to the 48 before James took the ball the last 52 of the field for a score, his third of the contest, making it 28-10 with just over seven minutes remaining in the game.
Eastern started the next series at their own 11-yard line and used the passing game to move the ball down to the Rutgers' 24. The Eagles, however could not push the ball beyond that point and failed to come any closer in the game and the score remained, 28-10.
The Eagles are in action again when they return to Rynearson Stadium Saturday, Sept. 21. EMU welcomes Ball State University to Ypsilanti, where the Green and White and the Cardinals will square off in the annual homecoming matchup. Kickoff is scheduled for 1 p.m.
Buffalo 26, Stony Brook 23 (5 OT)  
BUFFALO, NY – It took five overtimes, but the University at Buffalo football team beat Stony Brook, 26-23, in the team’s home opener at UB Stadium on Saturday. Anthone Taylor rushed for a career-best 118 yards and two touchdowns, including the game-winner in the fifth overtime to help the Bulls to their first win of the season. 
Playing in front of a paid attendance of 24,013, the third largest crowd in UB Stadium history, fans were treated to the longest game in school history. The five-overtime contest topped the previous four-overtime win at Akron in 2008.
The Bulls capitalized on Stony Brook turnovers for both of their scores in regulation. Najja Johnson made an acrobatic interception in the first quarter that UB was able to convert into a Patrick Clarke field goal to take a 3-0 lead with 2:12 left in the first quarter. The score remained 3-0 at halftime.
Devin Campbell pounced on a muffed punt return at the Stony Brook 27-yard line for the Bulls second forced turnover of the game. Three plays later, Taylor forced his way into the endzone from 1-yard out to give the Bulls a 10-0 lead with 5:35 left in the third quarter.
The score remained 10-0 entering the fourth quarter. Stony Brook converted a field goal early in the final stanza to cut the lead to 10-3. The score remained 10-3 until late in the game. On Stony Brook’s final drive of regulation it drove 80 yards on 15 plays and scored the game-tying touchdown with just 29 seconds left.
Stony Brook struck first in overtime with a 37-yard field goal. Clarke responded with a clutch 42-yarder to send the game to a second overtime. 
The Bulls got the ball first in the second overtime and Joe Licata connected with Alex Neutz on a three-yard strike to put the Bulls ahead, 20-13. However, Stony Brook’s Lyle Negron hit Malcolm Eugene with a 10-yard touchdown pass to tie the game at 20 and send it to a third overtime.
In the third overtime it looked like the Bulls were going to sew up the victory. Dwellie Striggles came up with the first interception of his career and the Bulls had the ball with a chance to win the game. However, with the Bulls on the Stony Brook 13, a botched exchange by Licata and Taylor put the ball on the turf and it was scooped up by the Seawolves. The game headed to a fourth overtime.
The next time the Bulls had the ball, Licata threw an interception and it was Stony Brook’s chance to win it. But the Seawolves missed a 37-yard field goal that would have won the game. To the fifth overtime they went.
Stony Brook made a 25-yard field goal to take a 23-20 lead in the fifth OT. After Licata connected with Alex Dennison on a 19-yard pass play, Taylor ended it with a 6-yard scamper off left tackle.
“It wasn’t pretty, it wasn’t perfect, but it was complete,” head coach Jeff Quinn said. “That was a good football team that we faced today, we knew that going in, but there is nothing more important than our kids coming out with a win to give them some confidence. They have been through a lot in the last two weeks and the coaches knew that this was going to be a challenging day but I was proud about how our guys hung in there and fought until the bitter end. Our coaches did a great job keeping their poise and composure on the sidelines and I really think that helped calm our team down.”
The Bulls wanted to establish the pass early as Licata completed 19-of-30 passes in the first half. The Bulls were a more run-oriented offense in the second half and the sophomore signal-caller finished 27-of-48 for 193 yards, a touchdown and an interception.
Neutz tied a career high with 10 catches in the game. He now has a receiving touchdown in three straight games. Fred Lee had a career-best seven catches for 61 yards. 
It was Taylor’s first career 100-yard game and the first by a Bull this season. In fact the 118 yards today easily eclipsed the 67 career yards he had on 26 carries coming into the game.
The Bulls had a number of players step up on defense. Adam Redden had a career-high 17 tackles – the most by a UB player since Davonte Shannon had 20 against Army in 2008. Okoye Houston was also making plays all over the field. The senior safety had a career-best 14 tackles, including a couple bone-jarring hits.
Khalil Mack finished with 10 tackles and had 1.5 tackles for loss as the senior linebacker continues his pursuit of the all-time NCAA record for tackles for loss. He now has 60 for his career and sits in 10th place, 15 shy of the record.
Following a bye week, Buffalo will next host UConn on Sept. 28 at UB Stadium.
North Texas 34, Ball State 27
Postgame Notes
DENTON, Texas -- The Ball State football team built an early lead Saturday at North Texas, but five turnovers proved too much to overcome in a 34-27 road loss.
Senior quarterback Keith Wenning topped 300 yards passing for the third straight game, but the Cardinals suffered their first loss of the season to drop to 2-1. North Texas improved to 2-1 with the victory and snapped Ball State’s string of eight straight regular-season wins dating back to last season.
Ball State led 27-9 late in the second quarter after Wenning’s second touchdown hook-up with junior receiver Willie Snead. But that was the last time the Cardinals would score.
North Texas found the end zone before the half on a 25-yard pass from Derek Thompson to Brelan Chancellor and went on to score 25 unanswered points the rest of the way. The Mean Green took its first lead on a 26-yard touchdown run from Thompson at the 9:47 mark in the final stanza, and that turned out to be the game-winning TD.
Ball State racked up 366 yards of offense in the first half, including a 77-yard touchdown run from Horactio Banks, but the Cardinals were held to 130 yards after the break. The Cardinals managed to hold the halftime lead despite three lost fumbles and an interception in the opening half.
Reggie Peagram of North Texas ran for a 32-yard score on the opening drive of the second half, and the Mean Green climbed within 27-24 with a two-point conversion. North Texas then tied the game on a Zach Paul field goal in the opening seconds of the fourth quarter.
Defensively, the Cardinals were led by Jeffrey Garrett, who totaled eight tackles. Garrett caused a fumble at the end of the first quarter that led to the Cardinals’ third score of the game. Brian Jones scooped it up and ran three yards into the end zone for his first career TD.
Offensively, Wenning threw for 333 yards and two scores. He tossed a pair of interceptions, the first of which ended a streak of 150 passes without a pick dating back to last season. Jamill Smith led the Cardinals in receiving with 115 yards, while Banks ran for a career-high 141 yards.
Ball State had the ball twice after North Texas took the lead, but the Cardinals punted after picking up one first down on the first of those drives, and North Texas sealed the game with an interception on the second.
Ball State will travel to Eastern Michigan next Saturday for its first Mid-American Conference contest of the season before returning home Sept. 28, when the Cardinals host Toledo at 3 p.m. in Scheumann Stadium.
Northern Illinois 45, Idaho 35     
MOSCOW, Idaho – Spurred on by an aggressive defense that recorded a school-record 11 quarterback sacks, including seven in the second-half, Northern Illinois scored the final 10 points of the game to claim a hard-fought 45-35 victory over Idaho Saturday in the Kibbie Dome.   
After trailing 28-14 with 9:35 to play in the second quarter, Northern Illinois outscored the Vandals 31-7 the rest of the game to claim their second win of the season and improve to 2-0 for the first time since 2003.  NIU won its 10th consecutive road game and has won 23 of its last 25 games.  Huskie quarterback Jordan Lynch and wide receiver Tommylee Lewis both went over the 100-yard mark in rushing as Lynch totaled 159 rushing yards on 23 carries with two touchdowns and Lewis ran four times for 104 yards.  
Kicker Mathew Sims broke a 35-35 tie with a 51-yard field goal, tied for the fifth-longest in school history, to put NIU ahead 38-35 with 10:49 to play.  The lead was just the second of the game for NIU.  
After the Huskie defense forced a three and out, the Huskies got the ball back on their own 41-yard line with 9:02 on the clock.  On the first play from scrimmage, Tommylee Lewis ran for 29 yards to the Idaho 30, and gained the next nine yards on a pair of pass receptions from Lynch.  Two Cameron Stingily runs netted eight yards before Lynch threw his third and final touchdown pass of the day with a 13-yard completion to Luke Eakes and a 45-35 Huskie lead that would hold up as the final.  
“I’m really happy with the way they responded to all of the adversity,” said NIU Head Coach Rod Carey.  “The fourth quarter is what we pride ourselves on.  If it’s a fourth-quarter game, we have that belief that we are going to come through.  
“You’ve got to love the win, take the win and be happy we got the win,” he said.  “I’m proud of our kids and proud of the adjustments by our defensive coaches.  We have a lot of things to work on in every phase, it was by no means a complete game.”
After surrendering 279 yards and 28 points to the Vandals in the first half, NIU allowed Idaho just one second-half touchdown and 159 yards.  Seven of the Huskies’ school record 11 quarterback sacks came in the second half.  On five Idaho possessions in the fourth quarter, the Vandals tallied just 53 yards.  Four Huskie players – Joe Windsor, Rasheen Lemon, Perez Ford and Mario Jones - had two sacks each and seven NIU defenders recorded sacks on the day. 
“All week we emphasized the pass rush,” said linebacker Jamaal Bass.  “It was incredible to see those guys get after the quarterback every play.   It shows you what the defense is capable of.”
Northern Illinois was penalized 11 times for 107 yards, fumbled twice, and had a punt blocked late in the game, but still won the turnover battle by recovering three Idaho fumbles and holding the Vandals to just four-of-16 on third-down conversions.  
Idaho took the opening kickoff and drove 75 yards in 10 plays to take the early 7-0 lead.  James Baker scored on a one-yard run to cap off the drive, which featured a couple of costly 15-yard penalties by the Huskies. 
Northern Illinois came up empty on its next drive, but the Huskie defense stepped up when Joe Windsor stripped Idaho quarterback Josh McCain and Ken Bishop recovered to set NIU up at the Idaho 35.  Lynch ran for 30 yards on the first snap and then scored his first rushing touchdown of the season on a five-yard run to tie the score at seven. 
Following another exchange of punts, Idaho showed its big-play capabilities as Chad Chalich hit Richard Montgomery on a 27-yard pass play to give the Vandals a 14-7 lead with 3:45 to play in the first quarter.
The teams combined for four scores in the second quarter, beginning on the very first play when Idaho took a  
21-7 lead when Chalich hit Baker from 37 yards out.  The Huskies responded with a 74-yard drive in four plays with Keith Harris scoring on a 15-yard catch and run for NIU’s second touchdown.  
The Vandals extended their lead to 14 points again as they used the running game to drive 75 yards on nine plays with Chalich picking up the final 34 yards on the ground for a 28-14 Idaho lead.  
NIU immediately closed the gap to 28-21 on its next possession when Stingily powered in from two yards out to end a 14-play, 77-yard drive. 
The Huskies scored on back-to-back possessions in the third quarter to earn their first lead.  Lynch hit Da’ron Brown from three yards out for the first score after a 29-yard pass play to Lewis earlier in the drive.  He then scored himself on a 61-yard run that put him over the 100-yard mark in rushing for the 15th time in his career and first time in 2013.  
Idaho, which fell to 0-3 with the loss, came back to tie the game early in the fourth quarter.  The Vandals got the ball at the NIU36 after a Lynch fumble and five Baker rushes sandwiching a completion resulted in and Idaho score and a 35-35 game with 14:19 to play. 
Lynch added 152 passing yards on 17-of-29 attempts with three passing touchdowns to his 159 rushing yards to tally 311 yards of total offense and five TDs responsible for.
“All the credit goes to Idaho,” Lynch said.  “They played us tough, had a great game plan.  We never really got in rhythm on offense.  We still put up 45 points and I’m sitting here complaining, so there were some things that went right and we were able to find those and build on them.”     
Northern Illinois plays its first home game of 2013 next Saturday, Sept. 21, at Huskie Stadium when Eastern Illinois comes to town for a 6 p.m. kickoff.  
Toledo 33, Eastern Washington 21      
Postgame Notes
TOLEDO  –  In a game in which Toledo gave up two quick touchdowns to start the first quarter, then lost its starting quarterback at of it,  Toledo’s defense came up big to rally the Rockets to a 33-21 victory over Eastern Washington before a season-opening crowd of 20,459 at the Glass Bowl Saturday night.
Early on, the game went from bad (a 14-13 EWU lead) to worse when of senior quarterback Terrance Owens left the game late in the first quarter following a seven-yard run. He was hit hard on the play and had to be carted off the field. Word from Toledo’s training staff was that Owens suffered an injury to his left knee and would be more fully evaluated on Sunday.,
Owens’ replacement, true freshman Logan Woodside, slowly gained his confidence as the game went on, completing 14-of-24 passes for 185 yards. The Rockets also leaned heavily on the running game. Senior running back David Fluellen carried the ball 21 times for a season-high  143 yards and two touchdowns. Junior Cassius McDowell added a career-high 89 yards on 10 carries.
But the biggest story of the day for Toledo was the play of its defense, which thwarted Eastern Washington’s high-octane offense. The Eagles, ranked No. 2 in the FBS, scored on their first two possessions but following Owens’ injury the Toledo defense stopped them the next seven times they got the ball. EWU, upset winners over then-No. 25 ranked Oregon State on Aug. 31, came into the game averaging 611 yards of offense per game, but was held to 377 tonight. Toledo badgered EWU’s quarterback Vernon Adams all night, limiting him to just 21-of-41 passing. Eastern Washington’s running game was non-existent, racking up just 51 yards on 22 attempts.  Junior linebacker Junior Sylvestre led the way with seven tackles, an interception and a forced fumble. Sophomore linebacker Trent Voss added seven tackles and two tackles for loss.
The game started out as a track meet, with both teams scoring on their first two possessions. Eastern Washington opened the scoring just two and half minutes into the contest on a 23-yard TD pass from Adams to Vernon Clark. About a minute later, Fluellen brook loose for a 44-yard scoring run, but Toledo’s attempt for a two-point conversion failed. EWU countered with a rapid seven-play drive that ended with Ryan Seto grabbing a 22-yard pass from Adams to give the Eagles a 14-6 lead. Fluellen struck again on Toledo’s next drive, a 12-yard TD run that cut the lead to 14-13.
Following an EWU punt, Owens rolled left on a keeper for a seven-yard gain but suffered an injury to his left knee. True freshman Logan Woodside took over the helm and drove the Rockets to the six-yard line before the drive stalled. Jeremiah Demter knocked home the 23-yard field, to give the Rockets a 16-14 lead early in the second quarter. Detmer’s field goal was his 23rd in a row, tying a school record set by Alex Steigerwald in 2007-2008.
Defenses took over in the second quarter, with Toledo linebacker Junior Sylvestre forcing a fumble and intercepting a pass to keep EWU’s high-powered offense in check. The Rockets had a great chance to add to their lead, but Detmer’s 35-yard field goal attempt sailed wide left as time ran out in the first half.
The two teams traded punts in the third quarter until Bernard Reedy took a pass across the middle from Woodside, broke a tackle, then sprinted 81 yards for the score to put Toledo up, 23-14, with 3:13 to play.
EWU scored on the first play of the fourth quarter, a 19-yard TD pass from Adams to Cooper Kupp. Toledo had stopped the Eagles on third down but the drive continued following a penalty for hit after the play.
Woodside then drove the Rockets 88 yards in 12 plays to put UT ahead, 30-21, with 8:50 left. Junior Cassius McDowell had the big play, a 28-yard rush to the EWU 16-yard line. Redshirt freshman finished the job with a four-yard run, his first career touchdown. Toledo closed out the scoring with a 36-yard field goal by Detmer with 32 seconds left.
The victory was the first of the year for Toledo (1-2) following a pair of road defeats at Florida and Missouri. Eastern Washington falls to 2-1.
The Rockets will travel to Mount Pleasant, MI next week to face Central Michigan in the Mid-American Conference opener for both teams.
LSU 45, Kent State 13   
BATON ROUGE, La. – LSU used a 21-point first quarter to break away early on its way to a 45-13 victory over Kent State on Saturday night at Tiger Stadium.
Jeremy Hill broke away for a 58-yard touchdown run to cap the game's opening drive, then added a 12-yard touchdown run later in the quarter to highlight a big day for the LSU running back. Tigers quarterback Zach Mettenberger added touchdown passes to Jarvis Landry of 21 yards in the first quarter and 31 yards in the second quarter.
After spotting LSU its 21-0 lead, Kent State's offense found a spark from the passing game as it used a 2-yard touchdown run by quarterback Colin Reardon and 37 and 36-yard field goals by Anthony Melchiori to outscore the Tigers 13-10 over the second and third quarters.
Reardon led the Golden Flashes on a nine-play, 75-yard march that closed with the first touchdown run of his career with 12:59 to play before halftime. The freshman connected on eight of his 10 passes for 84 yards in the opening half and 20-of-29 for 190 yards overall while completing his third straight interception-free game to open his college career.
Ten different Kent State players caught passes from Reardon, including Josh Boyle, who led the Flashes with 53 yards on three receptions.. 
LSU finished strong, adding fourth-quarter touchdowns on a 5-yard pass from Mettenberger to Odell Beckham and a 12-yard run by Terrence Magee.
Mettenberger completed 13-of-18 for 264 yards and three scores while Hill led the LSU rushing attack with 117 yards on 11 first-half carries before giving way to the trio of Terrence Magee, Alfred Blue and Kenny Hilliard. Those backups combined for another 176 yards on 34 attempts as the Tigers finished with 307 rushing yards and an 8.3 per-carry average.
LSU out-gained Kent State 571-to-248.
Kansas State 37, UMass 7    
MANHATTAN, Kan. - Kansas State used a 21-point second quarter to break-open a close game giving the Wildcats a 37-7 win over the UMass football team on Saturday night at Bill Snyder Family Stadium. Sophomore wide receiver Tajae Sharpe had 98 yards receiving, while redshirt freshman running back Stacey Bedell had 81 yards rushing.
Sophomore quarterback A.J. Doyle was 21-of-31 for 186 yards and two interceptions in his first start of the season. Defensively, UMass (0-3) was led by Ed Saint-Vil who had 12 tackles and Joe Colton who had nine including a sack.
Kansas State (2-1) picked up 329 yards on the ground tanks to John Hubert's 118 yards. Quarterbacks Daniel Sams had 77 yards, while Jake Waters had 74 yards rushing. Waters was 5-for-10 for 115 yards with two touchdowns and an interception.
UMass trailed 27-7 at halftime after the Wildcats scored twice in the final four minutes of the second quarter.
The Wildcats took a 6-0 lead on a 38-yard interception return for a touchdown by Kip Daily with the Jack Cantele extra point being blocked.
The Minutemen then put together a 16-play, 77-yard drive which stalled at the Kansas State six yard line. The ensuing field goal attempt by Blake Lucas was blocked giving KSU the ball back but five plays later Antoine Tharpe picked off Jake Waters at the 46 yard line.
Doyle and Bedell went to work to quickly drive the Minutemen down the field for a five-play touchdown drive. Doyle hit Sharpe for a 27-yard pick-up and Bedell punched it in for his first career touchdown two plays later closing out the first quarter giving UMass a 7-6 lead. 
Kansas State scored three times in the second quarter including a 26-yard run by Robert Rose and a 43 yard reception by John Hubert in the final four minutes of play to take a 27-7 lead at halftime. The Minutemen failed to make any headway on their opening possession of the second half. After a quick three-and-out gave the ball back to KSU, a 50-yard pass play from Waters to Glenn Gronkowski, the brother of New England Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski, put the Wildcats up 34-7.
It looked as if UMass would be in good shape on the ensuing possession moving the ball 50 yards on 14 plays, but a fourth-down interception with the ball at the KSU 30 yard line ended the promising drive.
The Wildcats added a 42-yard field goal early in the fourth quarter. 
Ohio 34, Marshall 31 
ATHENS, Ohio – The Ohio University football team (2-1) won the Battle For The Bell for the third-straight season after racing past the Marshall Thundering Herd (2-1) by a score of 34-31 Saturday evening in front of 24,836 fans inside Peden Stadium.
The Bobcats led by as many as 14 (31-17) with 12 minutes to play in the fourth quarter, then withstood a furious Marshall rally to hang on for the victory.
Senior quarterback Tyler Tettleton (Norman, Okla.) threw for a season-high 266 yards and a touchdown while senior running back Beau Blankenship (Norman, Okla.) rushed for 39 yards and two touchdowns to lead the Ohio offense. Senior wideout Donte’ Foster (Guthrie, Okla.) hauled in a team-high eight catches for 80 yards, while senior Matt Waters (Council Bluffs, Iowa) notched a team-high 83 yards on six catches.
Senior tight end Troy Hill (New Kensington, Pa.) caught four passes for 44 yards, including a touchdown grab in the first quarter.
Defensively, sophomore cornerback Devin Bass (Omaha, Neb.) made a game-high 11 tackles and grabbed a key interception in the fourth quarter. The ‘Cats were out-gained by Marshall, 366-275, but held a key +4 advantage in the turnover battle on the night.
The ‘Cats defense provided a crucial spark on the game’s first series, as senior safety Xavier Hughes (Germantown, Md.) forced a fumble by the Herd’s Essray Talliaferro that was recovered by sophomore defensive lineman Brandon Purdum (London, Ohio).
On the ensuing Bobcat possession, Tettleton stormed the Green & White down the field, highlighted by a nice scramble that resulted in a 30-yard completion to Hill. Tettleton then found Blankenship for a 10-yard completion to the Marshall five-yard line.
Then, on a key 3rd-and-goal play, Tettleton connected with Hill for a four-yard score to give Ohio a 7-0 lead with 9:09 to go in the first quarter.
The ‘Cats were aggressive again on defense on the next Marshall drive, as junior Nathan Carpenter (Lancaster, Ohio) forced a fumble on the first Herd play that was recovered by the ‘Cats at the Marshall 31-yard line.
Ohio went three-and-out on the ensuing drive, resulting in a 45-yard field goal attempt from sophomore kicker Matt Green (Lexington, Ky.) that went wide left.
Marshall took over at their own 28-yard line and began a 10-play, 72-yard drive (3:39) that included two completions of 18-yards-or-more from quarterback Rakeem Cato. A one-yard touchdown scamper by Herd tailback Kevin Grooms tied the score at seven with 3:39 remaining in the opening quarter.
The Herd moved into Ohio territory again late in the first quarter, but a key sack by sophomore linebacker Ben Russell (Cincinnati, Ohio) on first down helped the Bobcats prevent the scoring chance and force a Marshall punt.
After Ohio’s first drive of the second quarter stalled at the Marshall 41, the ‘Cats forced a Marshall punt, then drove 39 yards over nine plays to set up a 32-yard field goal attempt from Green. The sequence included a 21-yard completion from Tettleton to Matt Waters. Green connected on the attempt and Ohio took a 10-7 lead with 7:43 to play in the half.
The ensuing kickoff proved to be one of the most important plays of the game. After Josiah Yazdani booted his kick to the Marshall five-yard line, the Herd’s Steward Butler picked up the ball and promptly fumbled it. Freshman Toran Davis (Lithonia, Ga.) raced to the ball, grabbed it and strode into the end zone to make it 17-7 Bobcats with 5:03 remaining in the stanza.
Marshall cut into the Ohio lead as time wore down in the half, as the Thundering Herd put together a 10-play, 93-yard drive in just 1:23 to set up a successful 22-yard field goal attempt from Justin Haig. The ‘Cats entered halftime ahead by seven (17-10).
The Bobcats raced out of the gates in the third quarter, as Ohio put together a nine-play, 79-yard drive that increased the team’s lead to 24-10 with 10:46 to go in the quarter. The drive included a crucial 3rd-and-8 conversion from the Marshall 38-yard line, when Tettleton lobbed a 28-yard pass down the right side line that Cochran hauled in to thrust Ohio into the red zone.
After a 15-yard pass from Tettleton to Waters set up 1st-and-goal at the Marshall three-yard line, Blankenship found a hole in the Herd defense and rolled into the end zone for the score.
Marshall answered back with a long drive of its own. The 15-play, 68-yard sequence ate up more than five minutes of clock and resulted in a Herd touchdown. A three-yard run for the score from Taliaferro moved Marshall back within seven (24-17) with 5:33 to go in the third quarter.
The offense continued to come in droves in the third quarter, as Ohio marched back down the field after the Marshall score behind a 14-yard run from Blankenship and a 10-yard completion from Tettleton to Waters. With the ball at the Marshall 35-yard line, Tettleton found Waters again, this time for a 17-yard gain, to move Ohio into the red zone.
After two nice completions to Foster for gains of eight and 14 yards, Blankenship pounded the ball into the end zone for a three-yard touchdown scamper to give Ohio a two touchdown lead (31-17) over the Herd. The impressive drive included a season-best 18 plays for 75 yards that took more than eight minutes off the clock.
Marshall took over again with 12:02 to play in the fourth quarter and quickly thundered back into the game, as Cato found Hoskins for a 38-yard touchdown grab. The play moved Marshall within seven (31-24) with 10:17 remaining in the contest.
On Ohio’s next drive, the ‘Cats moved into Marshall territory after a 19-yard slant from Tettleton to Foster, but could not capitalize on the drive and were forced to punt.
Marshall took over at their own 17-yard line, but on the first play from scrimmage, Cato’s intended receiver slipped and his pass was picked off by Bass. From there, senior tailback Ryan Boykin (Woodstock, Ga.) powered through an acrobatic 14-yard rush, then Tettleton found Foster for an eight-yard gain to set up 1st-and-10 at the Marshall 11-yard line.
After the drive stalled, Ohio settled for a 29-yard field goal from Matt Green that moved the 'Cats back in front by 10 (34-24) with 2:46 to go in the game.
The Herd got the ball back and immediately began moving down the field in a no-huddle offense. Marshall rushed into the Ohio red zone, then punched the ball in on a four-yard rush by Cato to cut the Bobcat lead to three (34-31) with 29 seconds to go. Marshall attempted an onside kick on the next play, but the kick went out of bounds and Ohio took a knee to secure the victory.
The crowd of more than 24,000 marked the third-largest in Peden Stadium history.
The Bobcats return to action next Saturday at Peden Stadium with a 2 p.m. contest against Austin Peay.

Northwestern 38, Western Michigan 17

Postgame Notes

EVANSTON, Ill. -- The Western Michigan football team fell in a hard-fought battle to No. 17 Northwestern, 38-17, in front of 33,128 fans at Ryan Field late Saturday night. Tyler Van Tubbergen through for a game-high 202 yards and two touchdown passes in the loss.

Corey Davis led all receivers with 112 yards on five receptions and had one touchdown. Brian Fields averaged 6.1 yards-per-carry on 13 rushes to lead the team with 79 yards on the ground. In total, the WMU (0-3) offense racked up 345 yards on the night and committed a season-low one turnover.

The Bronco defense held the Wildcats to just 139 yards through the air and forced two turnovers on the night. Senior Mike Jones had a game-high 10 tackles, while Kyle Lark finished with four, including a tackle-for-loss. Safety Justin Currie finished with eight tackles and his second-career interception.

Northwestern’s first three drives all started in Bronco territory but after an elite performance by the defense it was WMU that struck first and took the lead. Western Michigan drove 55 yards in 13 plays and capped it off with a 37-yard field goal with 2:37 left on the clock in the first quarter. The Broncos took their lead into the second quarter after holding the high-powered Wildcat attack to just 61 yards in the first 15 minutes.

Northwestern took the lead 7-3 after a seven play, 57-yard drive was capped off by a four-yard touchdown run by quarterback Kain Colter. Western Michigan responded quickly after the ensuing kickoff. Van Tubbergen found Davis at the Bronco 45-yard line and the freshman wideout turned on the jets and took it to the house for a 75-yard touchdown reception to give WMU the lead, 10-7. The touchdown pass was the first of the season for Van Tubbergen and the second touchdown reception of the year for Davis.

The Wildcats responded and rattled of 17 points to close out the second quarter. Colter connected with Christian Jones from six yards out to give NU a 14-10 lead. Mike Trumpy then capped off a 50-yard drive with a four-yard touchdown run to push the lead to 21-10 before Jeff Budzein closed out the half with field goal from 35 yards.

The Wildcats extended their lead after Treyvon Green punched it in from one yard out to cap off an 87-yard drive that took 14 plays and took off 6:29 on the clock.

Late in the third quarter Mikhail Dubose stripped Trumpy at the NU 24-yard line and recovered the fumble to give WMU the ball back. Two plays later Van Tubbergen connected with Josh Schaffer on a 25-yard fade route to the right corner of the end zone for the touchdown.

Green added a 42-yard touchdown at the beginning of the fourth quarter to push the NU to 38-17.

Western Michigan continues its Big Ten road swing and heads to Iowa on Saturday, Sept. 21 for an 11 a.m. start. 

UNLV 31, Central Michigan 21
LAS VEGAS -- Caleb Herring connected three times with Devante Davis as UNLV rallied from a 21-point deficit to defeat Central Michigan 31-21 Saturday night.

Herring's second touchdown pass to Davis, a 42-yard play, lifted the Rebels (1-2) into a tie at 21 with 2:58 left in the third.

Nolan Kohorst's 34-yard field goal early in the fourth quarter gave UNLV the lead, and Herring's 12-yard pass to Davis extended the advantage to the final 10-point margin with 6:40 remaining.

Tim Cornett, who had the other UNLV score, rushed for 94 yards to move up to third on the Rebels' career rushing list.

Davis finished with 140 yards on seven catches. Herring was 24 of 28 for 266 yards.

Cooper Rush, making his first start for the Chippewas (1-2), threw for one touchdown while Saylor Lavallii ran for two scores. Rush was intercepted twice.


Central Michigan story courtesy of the Associated Press.