Friday's Men's Soccer Results

Updated 9/6/2013


Courtesy of MAC Athletic Communications Departments
Hartwick 1, Robert Morris 1
Wisconsin 1, Western Michigan 0
Georgetown 3, West Virginia 0
Marquette 3, Bowling Green 0
Evansville 3, Northern Illinois 2
Bucknell 1, Buffalo 0
St. John's 2, Akron 1
ONEONTA, NY – Hartwick was unlucky not to come away with a victory Friday night, instead settling for a 1-1 draw with visiting Robert Morris University. The game was the 38th Annual Mayor's Cup opening match.
All the scoring came in a 5:42 span in the first half of play. Robert Morris broke the ice in the 21st minute on a Neco Brett tally. Will Broomfield (Brighton, England/Cloud Community College) answered in the 27th minute to even the score at 1-1.
The Hawks had the first solid scoring chance just under 11 minutes into the game. Outside midfielder David Styles (Bognor Regis, England/St. Phillip Howard) swung a left-footed cross into the RMU box that forward Tim Crawford (Webster, NY/Webster Thomas HS) got on the end of but he put his shot from in close up and over the bar.
Ten minutes later, the Colonials got on the board. Miro Cabrilo played a ball over the top of the Hartwick defense. Brett ran onto it, shook off a defender, and beat Hawk keeper Mateo Munarriz (Manizales, Colombia/Colegio Granadino) low to the near post for the 1-0 lead.
The Hawks countered on their first chance on goal after the RMU tally. Styles was at it again on the left side as he fired a cross in to Broomfield who headed the ball past RMU keeper Joseph Kuta for his second tally of the season to even the score.
The game would remain deadlocked at halftime with the Colonials holding a slim 4-3 edge in shots.
Broomfield had the best chance of the second half for the Hawks with just over 16 minutes remaining. He got to a bouncing ball in the box but hit his shot high over the Colonial goal.
Robert Morris nearly broke the tie with nine minutes left in regulation. Carl Reid sent in a bouncing far-post shot that eluded Munarriz but caromed off the post and back into play. Brett had a chance for a second goal on the rebound but he shot wide of goal and the game headed to extra time.
Hartwick nearly ended the match just 30 seconds into the first overtime as forward Max Walcott (London, England/West Herts College) and Broomfield found themselves in a two-versus-one situation attacking the RMU goal. Walcott slipped a through pass to Broomfield who walked in alone with Kuta. His shot beat the keeper but it trickled inches wide of the near post.
The Hawks would hold a decisive 5-1 edge in shots in the 20 minutes of extra time but could not produce the game-winner as the match ended in a 1-1 tie.
RMU closed the match with a 12-10 edge in shots. The Hawks took eight corners to the Colonials' two over the 110 minutes.
Munarriz would end the game with two saves in the Hartwick net. Kuta made one stop for Robert Morris.
In the second match of the night, Cornell outshot Detroit by a wide margin of 18-7, but both teams managed one goal in a 1-1 tie to leave all four teams identical in the standings heading into the final day of competition.
Devin Morgan opened the scoring for the Big Red as he finished off a cross from Stephen Reisert in the 17th minute. Jake Rinow played a pass on the right side of the box to Reisert who beat has man and hammered a low service across the goal mouth. Morgan was there to finish it off to hand his team the early lead.
It took the Titans just under 19 minutes to even the match. A Cornell foul outside the box on the left side of the goal providing Detroit with a free kick roughly 22 yards from goal. Kevin Pinkos stepped up for the kick and delivered a ball to Trevor Flynn who headed it in, leaving Cornell keeper Zach Zagorski no chance.
After the game stayed 1-1 at halftime, the Big Red would outshoot their counterparts 9-3 in the second half but the game would stay level. Both teams had balls cleared off the line by defenders in the second 45 minutes.
In the overtimes, Cornell held a 3-2 edge in shots but the game would end in the stalemate. The Big Red would hold a 10-2 edge in corners for the match.
Titan keeper Nathan Steinwascher made 10 saves in the contest. Zagorski finished with two stops for Cornell.
Mayor's Cup action concludes on Sunday. Detroit and Robert Morris tangle at 12 p.m. with Cornell and Hartwick battling in the final match on Elmore.
MADISON, Wis.- The Western Michigan men’s soccer team nearly came back from a 3-0 deficit, rallying to score two second-half goals in a 10-minute span, but ran short of time in a 3-2 loss at Wisconsin Friday night.
The Big Ten Badgers, playing in their first home game of the season, developed a three-goal lead with a strike by Tomislav Zadro two minutes into play and a goal by Nick Jones in the 54th minute and another by Drew Connor in the 63rd minute.
Bronco freshman Matheau Rogers cut into the deficit in the 81st minute, scratching his first career tally off a ball from the end line by sophomore Sean Hazen. Hazen again set up Rogers nine minutes later, this time Rogers blasting in a rebound to cut the score to 3-2 in the final minute of the game. Wisconsin ran out the clock on and stepped away with a cautious 3-2 victory.
“We were punished again today for mistakes that we made in areas of the field you just can’t afford to make mistakes,” said WMU head coach Chad Wiseman. “The best teams take advantage of those errors and Wisconsin certainly did that.
“Sean Hazen was fantastic and it was nice to see Rodgers find the back of the net for his first and second collegiate goals in his full debut.
“Bottom line, however, is the quality of play in the defensive third of the field has to improve. We cannot expect to win many games conceding goals at the rate we are. The schedule has been tough, away from home against some of the top teams in the nation.”
Western Michigan (0-3-0) plays its first six games of the season away from Kalamazoo, already battling Butler and defending Big Ten Tournament champion Michigan State. The Broncos face UIC on the road Sunday and head to Eastern Illinois next weekend before playing their first home game, Friday, Sept. 20 against Canisius,
Georgetown 3, West Virginia 0
MORGANTOWN, W.Va. – The West Virginia University men’s soccer team fell 3-0 to No. 6 Georgetown on Friday evening at Shaw Field in Washington D.C.
“We didn’t play badly,” coach Marlon LeBlanc says. “We gave up a couple of soft goals to start off the game and then, outside of their two goals, we were in the game. They are too good of a team to give a two-goal lead to.”
Sophomore forward Brandon Allen, a preseason All-American, netted two of the Hoyas’ (2-1) three goals, including the game winner. In the 14th minute, Allen scored the first with assists from Keegan Rosenberry and Austin Martz. Bakie Goodman then found Allen for the second score five minutes later, in the 19th minute. Goodman was responsible for the final goal in the 63rd minute, assisted by Alex Muyl. 
The Mountaineers (1-1-1) were forced to play a man down from 56th minute on as sophomore defender Francio Henry was ejected with a red card.
“We were there and it was a really bonehead decision that hurt us,” LeBlanc says. “We started the second half very well and were on top of it, crawling our way back into the game, and had to go down to 10 men and, again, they’re too good of a team to play with a man down.”
The Hoyas outshot the Mountaineers 15-10 behind Allen and Steve Neumann’s five shots each. Georgetown recorded seven shots on goal to WVU’s single shot on goal from Ryan Cain. 
Junior Andy Bevin and sophomore Jamie Merriam led WVU in shooting with three shots apiece, while sophomore Majed Osman added two and freshman Alex Ochoa had one. They Hoyas had a slight advantage, 5-4, in corner kicks.
“We were getting back in the game and found some attacking moments, but we were just missing the target with the finishing. Any time you’re two goals down your team starts to tighten up a little bit,” LeBlanc explains. “Andy and Jamie did a good job of trying to put the pressure on and saying if we can get a goal we can get back in the game.”
The Mountaineers return to the pitch on Sunday, Sept. 8 at 8 p.m. as they take on the defending national champions No. 5 Indiana in Bloomington, Ind.
“Hopefully we learned some lessons tonight,” LeBlanc says. “We are an awfully young team and we’ll have bumps and bruises along the way, but I told the guys regardless of whether we won or lost the game today, we have to just forget about it and go to Indiana on Sunday. For us this is about trying to stay positive. This is a young group and they learned a hard lesson tonight in terms of our maturity and being the better team.”
MILWAUKEE, Wis. (BGSU Athletic Communications)  - Nationally-ranked Marquette University broke open a scoreless match with three second-half goals, and the Golden Eagles downed the Bowling Green State University men's soccer team, 3-0, Friday evening (Sept. 6). The match was held at Engelmann Stadium on the campus of the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee.
The result leaves both the Falcons and the Golden Eagles with 1-1-1 records on the year. Marquette, a consensus top-25 program heading into the season, was ranked as high as ninth in the preseason. MU entered this week ranked 16th in the nation in the Top Drawer Soccer and Soccer Times polls, and the Golden Eagles are receiving votes in this week's NSCAA rankings.
Friday's match was the first contest in the Panther Invitational, hosted by UWM.
The teams battled through a scoreless first half, as the Falcons and Golden Eagles each had seven shot attempts and two shots on goal in the opening 45 minutes. But, MU would get on the board in the early going of the second period, as Adam Lysak took a pass from C. Nortey and one-timed a shot inside the left post from the top of the penalty box.
Louis Bennett II doubled the MU lead midway through the period, hitting a shot in stride from approximately 20 yards out that also found its way just inside the left post. That goal came with 68:44 gone.
With just over nine minutes left in the period, Nortey capped the scoring. A left-side serve by Paul Dillon sailed into the box, and Nortey got his head on it. The shot was hit with force, and BGSU senior goalkeeper Michael Wiest was able to get a hand on the ball, but could not keep it from crossing the goal line.
For the match, the Falcons had a 15-14 advantage in shot attempts. The Golden Eagles put seven of their shots on goal to BG's five.
Wiest made four saves on the evening, while Charlie Lyon had five stops in goal in his complete-match effort for MU.
The Falcons had the lion's share of the possession time in the first few minutes of the match, but could not put any shots on frame in that time. Senior #Anthony Grant was fouled with nearly 10 minutes gone, but BG's resulting free kick sailed past the far post and out of bounds.
A Falcon flurry soon after saw a shot by Brandon Silva blocked, and a follow try by fellow senior tri-captain Joey D'Agostino sail over the bar.
Several minutes later, Grant laid the ball off for classmate Zach Schewee on the left side, but his shot was wide. A through ball intended for junior Danny Baraldi was knocked out of bounds for a corner kick, but that kick sailed over everyone in the penalty area and out of bounds on the far side.
After spotting the Falcons the first three shots of the game, Marquette answered at the other end. A long, curving shot by Coco Navarro curved just wide of the near post, and Wiest made a nice diving stop of a Bennett strike from distance. The ball went out of bounds for a corner kick, but Wiest punched that corner out of the box.
BGSU made several other forays into the box, but could not generate scoring chances off of those sequences. Senior Ryan Snashall and sophomore Ryan James were able to string several passes together, before a James shot was blocked. Snashall chased the ball down, and attempted to bring it into the box along the end line, but an MU defender poked it off of Snashall's leg and out of play.
As the match reached the half-hour mark, Grant worked from the left side of the goal near the touch line. He slid a pass to Baraldi, but the BG junior could not get a great deal of force behind his shot as a defender was draped all over him, and Lyon grabbed the roller.
Less than a minute later, Grant did hit a hard shot, but Lyon was able to make the save.
Each team had several more shots before the end of the half, but Lyon saved another Grant effort, and Wiest broke up what looked to be a dangerous chance for the Golden Eagles, grabbing the ball at the left post as a Marquette striker closed in. The teams headed to the intermission still locked in a scoreless draw.
Lysak's goal came on the first shot by either team in the second period. The goal gave the Golden Eagles the momentum, but midway through the half, the Brown and Orange looked to equalize with several chances in the span of less than a minute.
Grant, with his momentum taking him away from goal, still hit a shot that forced Lyon to make a save, and an effort by freshman Joe Sullivan was struck well, but went wide left.
Less than a minute after Sullivan's shot, however, the Golden Eagles doubled their lead on the Bennett goal.
With 15 minutes to go, an MU foul resulted in a BGSU free kick. Baraldi's diagonal ball was just out of the reach of two teammates as it curled toward the far post, and Lyon grabbed it on one bounce.
The Falcons got the ball back, and brought it into the offensive end, but a Sullivan shot wasblocked, and Baraldi's follow try went high.
In the 79th minute, another Baraldi shot was blocked out of play for a corner kick. The ensuing corner was knocked into the box by Baraldi, and the Falcons kept the Golden Eagles on their heels as the ball ping-ponged around the box. Finally, however, MU escaped unscathed as a Schewee shot went wide of the target.
The Golden Eagles closed the scoring on Nortey's header with 9;05 remaining. The Falcons' lone shot attempt after that final goal was a left-side effort by Grant that was blocked out of bounds, and Lyon grabbed the resulting corner kick out of the air in traffic.
The Falcons remain in Milwaukee to prepare for a Sunday (Sept. 8) matchup with host UWM. Kickoff for that contest is scheduled for 12:00 p.m. locally (1:00 p.m. ET) at Engelmann Stadium.
CINCINNATI, Ohio -- The Northern Illinois men's soccer team fell behind 2-0 early, but battled back to force overtime before falling, 3-2, to Evansville on Friday in the Cincinnati Bearcat Soccer Classic. Junior Isaac Kannah (Plymouth, Minn./Prairie Seeds Academy) and freshman Cody Witkowski (Batavia, Ill./Batavia) each scored for the Huskies. Senior Miles Herbert (Libertyville, Ill./Libertyville) made five saves in goal for NIU.
"We are disappointed, and that isn't to take anything away from Evansville because they did some things very well," said NIU head coach Eric Luzzi. "But I thought that a lot of our guys didn't show up today, which is disappointing because we had a good week of training. There have been a lot of things that we have done well in the last week or two that made me excited about today. 
"We dug ourselves a pretty big hole by giving up two goals in the first 15 minutes. We did well to get those back before the half, we were probably on top of them a little bit more in the second half, but when you did yourself a hole that big it is hard to come back from."
The Huskies fell behind inside the first minute of the contest as Jared Robinson for Evansville headed in a corner kick from Faik Hajderovic to give the Purple Aces the early advantage. 
After the goal, NIU (1-2) began to play its way back into the match as junior Andrew Palumbo (Ft. Myers, Fla./Bishop Verot/Darton College) forced a save from Evansville goalkeeper Eric Teppen in the ninth minute and junior Sanel Hasanovic (St. Louis, Mo./Bayless/Jefferson College) forced another stop two minutes later. 
Evansville (1-1-1) doubled its advantage in the 13th minute on a goal by Charlie Macias on the counter. Macias took a pass from Robinson and was able to beat Herbert to give the Purple Aces an early 2-0 lead. 
NIU quickly answered back with a goal from Kannah just two minutes later. Palumbo played the ball Kannah who buried his effort past Teppen for his second goal of the season. The goal was Kannah's second of the season while Palumbo picked up the first point of his NIU career. 
The Huskies were level in the 27th minute when Witkowski took advantage of a misplay by the Evansville goalkeeper and scored his first career goal to even the contest, 2-2. 
After the intermission, NIU had the better of play, outshooting Evansville 7-5 in the second 45 minutes, forcing four saves from Teppen and earning three corners to just one for the Purple Aces, but neither team could find the net and the Huskies would go to overtime for the first time this season. 
Evansville scored the game-winner in the third minute of overtime on the first shot by either team in the extra session. Hajderovic beat Herbert from 30 yards out to give the Purple Aces the victory. 
Northern Illinois will conclude play at the Cincinnati Bearcat Soccer Classic on Sunday, Sept. 8, when the Huskies face No. 14 Saint Louis. Game time against the Billikens is scheduled for 11 a.m. CT.
LEWISBURG, PA – The Buffalo men's soccer team (0-2-1) was unable to pick up their first win of the 2013 season on Friday night as they were downed by the score of 1-0 on the road at Bucknell (1-2-0). The Bison picked up the games loan goal just two minutes into the contest.
Russell Cicerone led the Bulls offensively as he recorded three total shots including two on frame in the loss. Waleed Cassis played well for the Bulls in the defeat as he made four saves.
The Bisons notched the game-winning goal in the 2nd minute as Chris Thorsheim picked up his own rebound off the hands of Cassis and buried the ball in the back of the net for his third goal of the season.
The Bulls nearly knotted the score at one in the ninth minute but the Austin Place shot attempt was blocked by a Bucknell defender just before it crossed the goal line.
Later in the half, Cassis kept the Bulls in the contest as he made a leaping stop off of a header following a corner kick by the Bisons. Cassis got a hand on the ball and forced it over the top of the net to send the visitors to the locker room trailing 1-0.
Trailing throughout the second half the Bulls offense could not find their way as they were held to only two shot attempts and one shot on goal. The Bisons dominated the second half with seven shot attempts while playing a majority of the half in the Bulls defensive third of the field.
The Bisons owned the slight 7-6 advantage in corner kicks but they also doubled up the Bulls in shots, possessing the 16-8 advantage.
The Bulls will return to the pitch on Sunday afternoon as they travel to take on the Siena Saints. First kick is slated for 1:00 pm.
QUEENS, N.Y. – The No. 5 University of Akron men's soccer team suffered its first setback of the season in a 2-1 double-overtime defeat at No. 23 St. John's Friday night at Belson Stadium.
Late in the second half, with the score tied at one, the Zips (2-1-0) appeared to catch a break when junior Saad Abdul-Salaam went down in the box while attempting a shot. But no penalty was awarded and the teams went into overtime.
Ironically, it was a penalty kick that did UA in as Red Storm junior Tim Parker earned it in the 106th minute of play and senior Jummy Mulligan tucked it away to hand the Zips their first defeat since Sept. 9 of last season.
Eric Stevenson broke a scoreless tie in the 71st minute with his first goal of the year to give the Zips the lead. Ismail Seremba, who came on in the 69th minute, slipped the ball to Stevenson, who fired a laser from 20 yards into the back left corner of the net from straight on.
It was the second consecutive match Seremba has made an impact as a second-half substitute after assisting the game-winning goal in the 58th minute against Furman last weekend in South Carolina.
But STJ (2-1-0) answered just three minutes later when Jelani Williams set up Josh Godec with a cross from the right side of the field. Godec finished from close range to extend the match.
It was a tough defeat for an Akron side that dominated the large majority of regulation. The Zips allowed just a single shot in the first half and only four in total when the Red Storm found the equalizer in the 74th minute.
Reinaldo Brenes and Aodhan Quinn, who created a number of scoring opportunities for the Zips, each finished with four shots apiece as Akron out-shot St. John's, 12-10, overall.
Both teams spent the first 15 minutes of the match feeling each other out. But a pair of Quinn shots within a five-minute period sparked the Zips' attack. It was a very active half for Quinn in all as the senior nearly sprung Stevenson and Brenes for goals and put a shot of his own on frame in the first 45 minutes.
Akron's best chance early on may have come during the 28th minute when Louis Cross sent a through ball into the middle of the field where Quinn redirected it to Stevenson, who was streaking down the right flank. But before he could get a shot off, the keeper came off his line to smother the play.
Then, right before the break, Quinn chipped a ball over the Red Storm's back line that landed in front of Brenes. The Hermann Trophy candidate ran it down, took contact from a trio of STJ defenders and went down in the box but the referee said play on.
Each team had a single shot in the first overtime period but both were quality. Mulligan got past his mark and had a go from distance early on but his shot sailed high. Brenes was on the receiving end of an Akron counter attack but his curling shot from the near left flank was just wide of the far post. 
The Zips will next make a short trip across the New York/New Jersey boarder to play at Rutgers Sunday, starting at 1 p.m. ET.