Follow @PBurwellMAC on Twitter for all of the latest on MAC Women's Basketball and join the conversation on Twitter by using #MACtion
No. 12 Kent State at No. 5 Bowling Green
1 PM • Bowling Green leads 49-28
Tournament Series: Bowling Green leads 6-2
• The Flashes and the Falcons have met two times previous this season. Conference play opened for both teams in Bowling Green on January 10. The Falcons took a 69-33 victory. Kent State shot just 24% in the game and made only four of 18 field goal attempts in the first half. The teams meant most recently to close out the regular season on Wednesday (Mar. 6). Bowling Green also won that game, but by a much closer margin, 51-43.
•For the Falcons, a MAC Tournament first-round game is a rarity ... BGSU is participating in the first round of the league tourney for the first time since 2004 ... the tourney format that awarded byes was adopted prior to the 1999-2000 season, and BG played first-round games each year from 2000 to ‘04 ... that 2004 tourney saw the Falcons win three games, including two on buzzer-beating shots by Lindsay Austin, to advance to the league tourney championship game ... the Falcons then earned byes in eight consecutive years from 2005-12.
No. 9 Western Michigan at No. 8 Eastern Michigan
2:30 PM • Eastern Michigan leads 43-30
Tournament Series: Western Michigan leads 1-0
• A potent Western Michigan offense cruised to a 95-68 victory over Eastern Michigan in the quarterfinal round of the 1999 Kraft Mid-American Conference Tournament at University Arena in Kalamazoo, Mich., Feb. 26. The third-seeded Broncos built a 19-point halftime advantage and never looked back as they shot a sizzling 52.2 percent (36-of-69) for the contest.
• The Eagles advanced to the championship game of the MAC Tournament in 2004, 2011 and 2012. EMU is 2-1 all-time in the contest that decides the league’s automatic berth into the NCAA Tournament. The Green and White defeated BGSU, 65-56, in the 2004 finale, March 13, and then fell to the Falcons, 51-46, in the 2011 title game, March 12. Last season, EMU defeated CMU 72-71 thanks to a Paige Redditt layup with 1.8 seconds left in the contest.
No. 10 Northern Illinois at No. 7 Buffalo
2 PM • Northern Illinois leads 13-4
Tournament Series: Tied 1-1
• The Huskies enter 2013 First Energy Mid-American Conference Women’s Basketball Tournament looking to surpass last season’s run in the 2012 MAC Tournament. NIU defeated Western Michigan in its first round to advance to Cleveland. The Huskies beat Akron in their second round game, before falling to Toledo in the quarterfinals.
• For just the second time since 2007, the Bulls will be hosting a first-round playoff games in the 2013 Mid-American Conference Tournament. The Bulls are the seventh seed, finishing with an 8-8 MAC record under first-year head coach Felisha Legette-Jack. Buffalo is facing Northern Illinois in the MAC Tournament for the first time since 2009. Saturday will be the last home game for senior Nicki Hopkins.
No. 11 Ohio at No. 6 Miami
2 PM • Miami leads 51-25
Tournament Series: Miami leads 4-1
• Freshman guard Kiyanna Black was named to the Mid-American Conference All-Freshman Team on Friday. She became the first Ohio freshman to earn the honor since current junior Shavon Robinson did so in 2011. Shavon Robinson elevates her game whenever Ohio and Miami meet up on the hardwood. The junior guard averages 12.8 points, 4.6 rebounds, and has shot 40.3 percent from the field in five career meetings against Miami.
• After concluding the regular season against Ohio, the RedHawks open with the Bobcats in the MAC Tournament, creating a rare situation where the teams play two games in a row. The last time that happened for Miami was in the 1994-95 season, when the Red and White closed regular season play with a 76-64 loss at Kent State. It then hosted the Golden Flashes in the MAC Quarterfinals three days later, where Miami came away with a 77-71 win.