Wednesday's MAC Men's Basketball Results

Updated 2/6/2013


Wednesday's MAC Men's Basketball Results
Western Michigan 82, Kent State 76
Toledo 65, Miami 64
Ohio 69, Ball State 42
Easten Michigan 65, Buffalo 46
Bowling Green 57, Northern Illinois 41
Stories courtesy of MAC Sports Information Departments
Western Michigan 82, Kent State 76
KALAMAZOO, Mich. - The Western Michigan men's basketball team rallied from what was once a 10-point deficit, storming back in the second half to defeat the Kent State Golden Flashes 82-76 at University Arena. The win is the seventh in a row for the Broncos, who improve to 15-7 overall, 7-2 in Mid-American Conference play. The win is the first against the Golden Flashes since Feb. 11, 2007, snapping a seven-game losing streak to Kent State.
The win also marks the Broncos' first seven-game win streak since the 2004-05 season, when the Broncos won seven straight from Dec. 22, 2004 - Jan. 19, 2005. It is the longest MAC win streak for the Broncos since winning eight straight conference games over two seasons, winning the final two MAC games of the 2003-04 season and the first six of the 2004-05 season, and is the longest to take place entirely in a single season since the 1975-76 Broncos won 10 straight MAC games.
Shayne Whittington finished with a double-double for the second straight game and seventh time this season, notching 21 points and 13 rebounds. That ranks as the most for a Bronco in a single season since Joe Reitz recorded 10 double-doubles in the 2006-07 season. David Brown came off the bench for a game- and career-high 22 points, including a 3-of-3 performance from three-point range. Nate Hutcheson posted 15 points for the Broncos on 7-of-10 shooting.
As a team, the Broncos shot 24-of-47 (.511) from the field in the game, and posted a 7-of-15 (.467) mark from beyond the arc. The Broncos out-rebounded the Golden Flashes 35-27 and out-scored them 28-16.
WMU trailed by six points to start the second half, but Darius Paul drilled a three-pointer from the left wing to cut the Golden Flashes' lead to three points. Kent State opened the lead up to eight points with a three-point make by Kris Brewer at the 18:13 mark, but Whittington cut the lead with a hook shot to make it 43-37.
Hutcheson made it a one-possession ball game at the 15:18 mark when Austin Richie lifted a long alley-oop pass in transition; Hutcheson tipped the ball into the hoop to make it 46-44 with 15:18 remaining. Brown gave the Broncos their first lead of the game a minute and a half later, drilling a three-pointer from the right wing at the 13:45 mark and drawing a foul in the process. Brown made the free throw to give the Broncos a 50-49 lead.
The Golden Flashes re-took the lead, though, and held a 68-60 edge with 7:35 remaining. The Broncos embarked on a 13-4 run to re-take the lead, though, with Hutcheson knocking down a three-pointer from just beyond the head of the key to make it 73-72 with 3:03 remaining. Hutcheson broke a tie at the 2:31 mark with a floater, and Brown gave the Broncos the lead for good with a pair of free throw makes at the 1:41 mark to make it 77-76. The Broncos went 5-of-6 at the line down the stretch to seal the win.
The Broncos had trouble establishing a rhythm in the first half, falling behind early to the Golden Flashes and finding themselves unable to take the lead from their MAC East rival. The Golden Flashes opened the game on a 12-4 run, taking an eight-point advantage when Melvin Tabb made one of two free throws at the 13:46 mark.
Whittington helped the Broncos begin to chip away at the lead, taking an inlet feed from Austin Richie at the 12:38 mark and laying it off the glass to make it a two-possession ball game. Brown cut the lead to just three points on the next trip down the court, firing an NBA-range three-pointer off a feed from Richie to make it 12-9. The closest the Broncos would get was at the 10:49 mark, when Nate Hutcheson drove to his right and hit a floater to make it 15-13.
The Golden Flashes began to pull away later in the half, stretching the lead to seven points on a three-pointer from Darren Goodson, and reaching nine points on a pair of free throw makes from Kellon Thomas. Evans made it a double-digit lead at the 5:18 mark with a tip-in dunk, but the Broncos embarked on a 9-1 run to pull tight. Hutcheson made a lay-up at the 3:48 mark to make it 28-23, and Darius Paul knocked down a 15-foot jump shot from the right wing with 3:18 left to make it a four-point game.
Taylor Perry cut the lead as short as it would be for the rest of the half, making a pair of free throws with 2:08 remaining to make it 29-27. The Broncos got one final surge at the end of the half when Whittington chased down a loose ball and saved it from going out of bounds; he flipped it back to Pokley, who drilled a three-pointer from the left wing with less than 30 seconds remaining to set the final deficit for the half at 38-32.
Toledo 65, Miami 64
TOLEDO, OH - Freshman C Nathan Boothe hit a three-point field goal at the buzzer to give Toledo a 65-64 Mid-American Conference victory over Miami on Wednesday evening in Savage Arena. It was his first three-point field goal in five attempts this season.
The victory extended the Rockets' win streak to a season-high four games and kept UT (10-10, 6-3 MAC) a game behind West Division frontrunner Western Michigan (15-7, 7-2 MAC). The Broncos posted an 82-76 home victory tonight over Kent State.
Sophomore G Julius Brown topped the Rockets' offensively with 18 points and eight assists. He was joined in double figures by junior G Rian Pearson (16 pts.) and Boothe (13 pts., team-high six reb).
Freshman G Reggie Johnson was one of four RedHawks to score in double figures and appeared to hit the game-winning basket on a put-back with 3.3 seconds remaining.
Miami called timeout immediately after Johnson's basket, and Toledo then passed the ball into the front court and called another timeout with 2.8 seconds left. UT then caught a break when Miami's Quinten Rollins stole the in-bounds pass but then was whistled for travelling to set up Boothe's buzzer-beater.
Toledo played an efficient offensive game, shooting 51.1 percent from the field and committing just 10 turnovers. Miami was as nearly effective as the Rockets though with its 46.8 FG% and 12 turnovers.
The RedHawks also enjoyed a 29-25 rebounding advantage and knocked down 15-of-18 free throws compared to UT's 10-of-13 performance at the charity stripe.
Toledo took control of the contest early when Brown capped off a 19-2 run with eight straight points to give UT a 35-26 advantage with 3:30 remaining in the first half. That was Toledo's last points of the stanza though as Miami scored six straight to make it a 35-32 game at intermission.
The Rockets maintained a comfortable advantage in the second half's early stages and freshman G Josh Lemons' jumper gave UT its biggest lead of the evening, 49-39. with 12:58 to play. Miami then went on a spurt of its own, outscoring Toledo 14-2 over the next six minutes to take a 53-51 advantage.
Junior G Allen Roberts' trey extended the visitors' lead to 62-58 with 3:40 remaining, but junior F Matt Smith answered with a three-point bomb at the 2:26 mark to bring the Rockets within a point.
Brown converted one of two free throws to even the score at 62-62 with 1:03 to play. Both teams then turned the ball over on their ensuing possessions to set the stage for a dramatic finish.
Toledo returns to action on Saturday, Feb. 9 when it hosts Eastern Michigan (11-11, 4-4 MAC). Tip-off time from Savage Arena is 7:00 p.m.
Ohio 69, Ball State 42
MUNCIE, Ind. - The Ohio University men's basketball team (16-6, 7-1 MAC) put together its strongest defensive effort of the season Wednesday night, as the Bobcats defeated Ball State, 69-42, at Worthen Arena in Muncie, Ind.
With the win, Ohio improved to 7-1 in MAC play for the first time since the 1998-99 season and 4-1 in road league contests for the first time since 2001-02.
The Bobcats held the Cardinals to a season-low 42 points and just 26.5 (13-49) percent shooting from the floor. Both marks also were season-lows for an Ohio opponent this season.
Senior guard Walter Offutt (Indianapolis, Ind.) led Ohio with 17 points and added four rebounds, three assists and a season-high four steals. Junior guard T.J. Hall (Gainesville, Fla.) added 10 points, while senior forward Ivo Baltic (Kansas City, Mo.) posted eight points and a team-high eight rebounds.
Senior forward Reggie Keely (University Heights, Ohio) added nine points and seven rebounds, while junior forward Jon Smith (Columbus, Ohio) anchored the defensive effort with six points and a game-high four blocks.
Senior guard D.J. Cooper (Chicago, Ill.) registered five points, five assists and four steals in his 127th career start, which tied him with Leon Williams ('08) for the most starts in program history. Cooper needs just eight more steals to move into a tie for 25th place on the all-time NCAA Division I steals list.
The `Cats posted 14 steals on the night and forced Ball State (8-13, 2-7 MAC) to commit 22 turnovers. Ohio also held advantages in points in the paint (28-16), points off turnovers (26-9), fast break points (11-4) and bench scoring (25-8).
Ohio scored seven of the game's first eight points and led 13-3 at the 15:44 mark after a 3-pointer from Offutt. Ohio moved ahead, 18-5, on a jumper by Baltic and extended its advantage to 16 (22-6) on two free throws from Cooper.
Ball State moved back within 11 (24-13) with 5:42 to play in the half, but Ohio pushed its advantage back to 16 (29-13) after Offutt connected on his third 3-pointer of the half.
Ohio closed the half on a 10-0 run and led 34-14 at the break.
Ball State's 14 first-half points marked the lowest total for an Ohio opponent in a half this season. The `Cats held the Cardinals to just 25.0 percent shooting (5-20) in the stanza and turned 15 Ball State turnovers into 19 points. Hall led Ohio with 10 points (4-6 FG) in the half.
Ohio posted the first six points of the second half to extend its lead to 26 (40-14), but seven-straight points from Ball State cut the Ohio advantage to 19 (40-21) at the 16;01 mark. From there, the `Cats posted the next six points and led by 27 (53-26) on a 3-pointer by junior guard Nick Kellogg (Westerville, Ohio) with 9:04 to go in the game.
The Cats took their largest lead (29) on free throws by Offutt and Ball State could not move closer than 24 (57-33) for the remainder of the contest.
The Green and White finished their four-game conference road trip with a 3-1 record. It marked the longest consecutive stretch of MAC road games in program history.
Ohio returns home for the first of two games against Bowling Green on Saturday (Feb. 9) at 2 p.m.
"Voice of the Bobcats" Russ Eisenstein and Rob Cornelius will call the game live on the Ohio IMG Sports Network powered by Horizon, with streaming audio and video available on Pre-game coverage begins 30 minutes prior to tip-off (1:30 p.m.).
Easten Michigan 65, Buffalo 46
YPSILANTI, Mich. (EMU - The Eastern Michigan men's basketball team defeated the University at Buffalo, 65-46, Wednesday, Feb. 6, at the Convocation Center.  The Eagles are now 4-4 in the Mid-American Conference, 11-11 for the season. 
Leading scorers for the Eagles were Glenn Bryant (Detroit, Mich.-Oak Hill Academy (Arkansas)) with 17 points, followed by Austin Harper (Grand Haven, Mich.-Grand Haven) with 10. The Eagles posted 6 blocks, including four from Bryant, 5 steals and 8 assists. Eastern shot 26-of-55 (47.3 percent) from the floor and outhustled the Bulls in fast break points, 8-0.
Both teams got off to a slow start, but the Eagles started the scoring as Bryant sank two free throws. Buffalo responded with a layup, followed by a bucket from Jalen Ross (Greensboro, N.C-Greensboro Day School) for two. The Bulls' defense kept Eastern scoreless for a solid three minutes as they took the lead 9-5 with 13:57 left in the first half.
EMU fought back pouring in eight-straight points, four of which came from fast break layups by Harper and J.R. Sims (Fort Wayne, Ind.- Snider), regaining their lead, 17-14. Buffalo came back with a basket of their own, but the Eagles' offense maintained a strong lead of 28-19 with 6:41 on the clock.
In the final minutes of the first half, Sims recorded a steal, breakaway layup and a three-point shot. With one second remaining Buffalo closed out the half with a layup, bringing the score to 37-33 with Eastern in the lead.
The Eagles shot 15-of-33 (45.5 percent) in the first half, while shooting 2-of-6 (33.3 percent) of their three-balls. Matt Balkema (Roseville, Mich.- Cousino) and Sims posted the most points for the Green and White in the first half, each contributing seven. The Eagles' defense put intense pressure on the Buffalo offense, which shot 11-of-21 (52.4 percent) for the half, as they recorded six fast breaks against the Bulls.
Buffalo came out and made the first basket of the second half, but the Eagles responded with three-straight buckets for six points to keep them in the lead, 43-35. The Eastern offense continued to play hard as it gained a 14 point lead, with the score 53-39 with 9:38 on the clock.
The Eagles continued to lead offensively, increasing their lead to a game-high 19 points with 2:49 left in the half. The Bulls fought back hard, but Eastern finished held Buffalo at bay to record the 65-46 tally.
EMU hits the hardwood again Saturday, Feb. 9, when it travels to Toledo, Ohio to take on the University of Toledo Rockets. Tip-off between the Rockets and Eagles is scheduled for 7 p.m.
Bowling Green 57, Northern Illinois 41
DeKalb, Ill. – The Bowling Green men’s basketball team held Northern Illinois to 28 percent shooting and the Falcons won on the road for the first time this year, defeating the Huskies 57-41 Wednesday evening.
A’uston Calhoun posted his fourth double-double of the season with 15 points and 12 rebounds. Meanwhile, Richaun Holmes scored a career-high 11 points as the Falcons jumped out to an early lead and never looked back.
For the second consecutive game, Bowling Green never trailed, scoring the first eight points and holding Northern Illinois to just four made field goals in the first half. Luke Kraus and Calhoun connected on back-to-back three-pointers to start the game and Chauncey Orr’s lay-up with 13:33 to play in the first half gave the Falcons a 16-3 lead.
Still leading comfortably at 24-10, the Falcons went on a 6-0 run in which Craig Sealey put down an alley-oop to push the lead to 20 at 30-10. Northern Illinois, though, closed the half with five straight points to get within 15 at the break.
Bowling Green shot 52 percent from the field in the first half and kept Northern Illinois from getting any offense going as the Huskies shot 14 percent.
NIU’s Keith Gray opened the second half with a lay-up but Bowling Green put the game away with a 16-2 run over the next five minutes. The Falcons led 46-19 and Northern Illinois never got closer than 15 the rest of the way.
Bowling Green finished the game with 12 turnovers, two fewer than Northern Illinois, but the Huskies held a 38-34 rebounding edge. The Falcons had 10 steals
(giving the team 23 over the past two contests), four of which came from Jordon Crawford.
Along with his 11 points, Holmes added three blocked shots, giving him 56 on the season. He is just three away from tying for the BGSU single-season blocked shot record.
Northern Illinois falls to 5-16 on the year and 3-5 in MAC play. Bowling Green, now 9-13 overall and 4-5 in conference play, holds sole possession of sixth place in the league. The Falcons will head on the road to face Ohio, in second place in the MAC, Saturday at 2 p.m.