MAC Men's Basketball Daily (1-19-13 Release)
MAC Men's Basketball Daily Release - Saturday, January 19th
Miami (7-8, 2-1 MAC) at Eastern Michigan (8-9, 1-2 MAC)
2 p.m. ET • Miami leads series 47-19
• Eastern Michigan is coming off a 58-52 win over Central Michigan at the Convocation Center on Tuesday to snap a four-game losing streak and improve to 8-9 overall and 1-2 in MAC play. The Eagles are 8-2 on their home court this season. Derek Thompson paces the team with 11.5 ppg... The RedHawks seek to win three straight for the first time this season and try to earn the program’s 600th MAC win. Entering the week, two RedHawks rank among national statistical leaders according to the NCAA. Junior guard Quinten Rollins ranked 20th nationally in assist/turnover ratio (2.91) and 37th in steals (2.21). Junior guard Allen Roberts ranked 44th nationally in free-throw percentage (.868).
Akron (12-4, 3-0 MAC) at Kent State (11-6, 2-1 MAC)
3 p.m. ET • Kent State leads series 69-66
Watch LIVE on ESPNU
• The Golden Flashes (11-6, 2-1 MAC) will try to end a four-game losing streak to the Zips (12-4, 3-0 MAC), who won all three meetings last season, including a 78-74 MAC Tournament semifinal at Cleveland’s Quicken Loans Arena on Mar. 9, 2012.mChris Evans is among the most versatile players in the MAC this season, leading Kent State in scoring (17.1), rebounding (7.7), steals (33) and blocks (13)...Akron in riding an eight game winning streak and is led by senior center Zeke Marshall, who is averaging 12.3 points and 6.6 rebounds per game in the Zips’ 12-4 start. Forwards Nick Harney (10.8) and Demetrius Treadwell (10.1) are also averaging double-digit points for Keith Dambrot.
Toledo (6-8, 2-1 MAC) at Ohio (12-5, 3-0 MAC)
6 p.m. ET • Ohio leads series 66-54
•Ohio looks to extend its winning streak to five games Saturday against MAC West Division-leading Toledo. Ohio leads the nation with an impressive 19.6 assists per game and tops the MAC in seven different statistical categories, including FG% (48.4), 3PTFG% (37.6), steals (9.6 spg), turnover margin (+4.8) and 3FGs per game (8.8). Senior D.J. Cooper leads a balanced Ohio attack with 14.4 ppg and also ranks second nationally with 8.2 apg...After opening conference play with wins over Kent State and Central Michigan, the Rockets dropped a 79-56 contest at Western Michigan on Wednesday (Jan. 16). Rian Pearson ranks first in the MAC in scoring with 19.0 ppg and is the Rocket’s leading rebounder (6.2 rpg). Brown averages 13.8 ppg and is the team’s leading assists man with 4.9 per game.
Ball State (7-8, 1-2 MAC) at Central Michigan (8-8, 1-2 MAC)
7 p.m. ET • Ball State leads series 58-30
• Ball State (7-8, 1-2 MAC) is coming off a 71-64 loss Wednesday at MAC-leading Akron, while Central Michigan (8-8, 1-2 MAC) dropped a 58-52 decision Tuesday at Eastern Michigan in its most recent action. BSU’s Majok Majok, who leads the MAC and ranks 15th nationally in rebounding, is one of 19 players in the country averaging a double-double at 11.9 points and 10.5 rebounds per game... CMU Senior guard Kyle Randall is the lone Chippewa averaging double figures, but he ranks fourth in the MAC at 16.8 points per game and leads the conference in league games at 22.7 points a night.
Bowling Green (6-10, 1-2 MAC) at Buffalo (5-12, 0-3 MAC)
7 p.m. ET • Bowling Green leads series 16-9
• The Bulls are 5-12 overall and 0-3 in the MAC after losing to Kent State, 80-68, on Wednesday night. Javon McCrea led the Bulls with a career-high 33 points and 10 rebounds - his fifth double-double of the year. The Bulls are 4-1 when scoring 70 or more points and 1-11 when scoring less than 70 points...Bowling Green is 6-10 overall and 1-2 in the MAC. The Falcons are coming off a 63-60 loss at Miami on Wednesday. Bowling Green is led by Jordan Crawford who is averaging 16.4 points per game. A’uston Calhoun, who has averaged 22 points over the last four meetings with UB, is averaging 16.1 points and 7.4 rebounds per game this season.
Western Michigan (9-7, 1-2 MAC) at Northern Illinois (3-12, 1-2 MAC)
8 p.m. ET • Western Michigan leads series 51-29
• Northern Illinois is shooting 73.7 percent (84-of-114) as a team from the free-throw line in the last five games. Abdel Nader has scored in double figures in 7-of-8 games this season; Nader has scored in double figures in 24 games during his career...WMU’s Shayne Whittington recorded his fifth double-double of the year against Toledo, posting 12 points and 13 reboundsIt is the second time this season Whittington has posted back-to-back double-double performances. Whittington’s five double-doubles ties the most for a Bronco since Joe Reitz had six during the 2007-08 season. Darius Paul leads all freshmen in the MAC in scoring (11.3 ppg) and rebounds (6.1 rpg)