MAC Men's Basketball Daily (1-12-13 Release)
MAC Men's Basketball Daily - Saturday, January 12
Kent State (9-6, 0-1 MAC) at Ball State (7-6, 1-0 MAC)
2 p.m. ET • Ball State leads series 38-37
• Kent State had a four-game winning streak snapped Wednesday with a 70-58 home loss in its MAC opener at Toledo, falling to 9-6 on the season (0-1 MAC).Senior forward Chris Evans, who scored 20 points in the Toledo game, leads the Golden Flashes and ranks second in the MAC with 16.7 points per game. He also tops the team with 7.5 rebounds per game... Ball State improved to 7-6 (1-0 MAC) with a 60-58 victory Wednesday at Eastern Michigan in its MAC opener. Jauwan Scaife is averaging 19.0 points over the past three contests and has raised his scoring average for the season to 11.7 points.
Ohio (10-5, 1-0 MAC) at Western Michigan (8-6, 0-1 MAC)
2 p.m. ET • Ohio leads series 63-59
• Senior point guard D.J. Cooper scored a game-high 21 points to lead the Ohio University men’s basketball team to a dominating 86-68 victory over Buffalo Wednesday night to open MAC play. Ohio posted 26 assists on the night and is now averaging 19.6 assists on the year. The `Cats came into the game ranked second in the country in assists per contest... Western Michigan fell 65-43 to Akron to start league play. Austin Richie led the way offensively for the Broncos, scoring 11 points on 4-of-7 shooting from the field. Darius Paul finished with six points and six rebounds, and senior David Brown came off the bench to notch five points in 15 minutes of play.
Akron (10-4, 1-0 MAC) at Northern Illinois (3-10, 1-0 MAC)
4 p.m. ET • Akron leads series 19-9
• Akron opened MAC play with a 65-43 victory over Western Michigan on Jan. 9. During their six-game winning streak, the Zips are out-scoring their opponents by 21.5 points/game and hold a +14.8 rebounding advantage. UA is shooting 47.5 percent while holding opponents to just 35.0 percent shooting. UA has held at least a share of the lead for 232:42 out of the last 240 minutes (97.0 percent)...Northern Illinois enters tonight’s game with a 3-10 mark overall and a 1-0 record in league play. The Huskies snapped a five-game losing streak with a 72-61 win at Miami on Jan. 9 to open their MAC schedule. Abdel Nader leads NIU as the only player scoring in double figures (14.2 ppg). Aksel Bolin leads the squad in rebounding, averaging 4.5 rpg.
Eastern Michigan (7-8, 0-1 MAC) at Bowling Green (7-7, 0-1 MAC)
6 p.m. ET • Bowling Green leads series 46-38
• Bowling Green rallied from a 23-point second half deficit to tie Central Michigan late, but the Chippewas made enough free-throws down the stretch to pull out a 73-67 victory Saturday in Mount Pleasant, Mich. Jordon Crawford scored a career-high 29 points, 25 in the second half, to spark the comeback attempt...EMU is 7-8 on the season and 0-1 in conference play with senior guard Derek Thompson leading the way offensively pouring in 11.7 points per game. Leading the Eagles in rebounding is junior center Da’Shonte Riley who is posting 5.9 rebounds per game.
Miami (5-8, 0-1 MAC) at Buffalo (5-10, 0-1 MAC)
7 p.m. ET • Miami leads series 20-9
• Buffalo will host Miami in its first Mid-American Conference home game of the season. The Bulls are 5-10 overall and 0-1 in the MAC after losing their conference opener, 86-68, at Ohio on Wednesday night. Both Javon McCrea and Jarryn Skeete led the Bulls with 13 points apiece. It was a career-high for Skeete. McCrea has led the team in scoring in 11 of the team’s 15 games this season...Miami is 5-8 overall and 0-1 in the MAC. The RedHawks are coming off a 72-61 loss to Northern Illinois on Wednesday night. Miami is led by Allen Roberts who is averaging 12.6 points per game. Three RedHawks rank among MAC statistical leaders in steals, while the team ranks second in the conference in the category.
Central Michigan (8-6, 1-0 MAC) at Toledo (5-7, 1-0 MAC)
7 p.m. ET • Toledo leads series 54-33
• Toledo features the MAC’s top scorer with junior G Rian Pearson leading the league at 19.8 ppg. Sophomore G Julius Brown also appears in the Top 10 and is in 10th place with his 13.0 scoring mark. The Rockets have picked up right where it left off as one of the MAC’s top free-throw shooting squads. UT tops the conference at 77.4 percent (and ranks 12th in the nation as of Jan. 6) after leading the league last year with a 72.6 mark... First-year head coach Keno Davis has Central Michigan off to its best start since it opened the 2002-03 campaign with an 8-3 ledger. Senior guard Kyle Randall leads the MAC with a 91.7 FT% and ranks third in league scoring at 16.6 ppg in his first season in a CMU uniform.