Wednesday's Women's Basketball Results

Updated 12/19/2012


Wednesday's Women's Basketball Results
Northern Illinois 48, Eastern Illinois 38
Western Michigan 70, Valparaiso 69
Bowling Green 64, UMASS 61
Manhattan 58, Ohio 49
Courtesy of MAC Sports Information Departments
Northern Illinois 48, Eastern Illinois 38
DEKALB, Ill. - The Northern Illinois University women's basketball team used a strong defensive effort and strong bench play to post a 48-38 victory over Eastern Illinois at the Convocation Center Wednesday night.
"It was a slow start, but we truly believe in the foundation of defense first," associate head coach Joe Conroy said. "When we kept looking up at the scoreboard and they have two points, it wasn't because they couldn't make shots. It was because they couldn't make uncontested shots. We were really proud of the team for that."
Sophomore Amanda Corral (Hobart, Ind./Hobart) led the way for the Huskies (4-5) with a game high 10 points, while hauling in a team-high eight rebounds. Backcourt mate Satavia Taylor (Bolingbrook, Ill./Bolingbrook) turned in a solid game as well, finishing the night with nine points and five rebounds.
"They got in foul trouble early in the game. Combined, they played 19 minutes in the first half," Conroy said. "In the second half, they knew they had to come out and be aggressive.
That was really part of the game plan as well. We wanted to try and exploit where Eastern was weak in some areas and those were the two players we felt could've had the biggest impact at trying to exploit those weaknesses."
Northern Illinois' bench came up big as well, outscoring the Panthers' bench (5-6) 23-13. Sophomore forward Natecia Augusta (Peoria, Ill./Limestone) scored eight points, going three-for-three from the field and two-for-two from the free throw line. Alexis Lindstrom (Howards Grove, Wis./Howards Grove) added six points.
After a slow start, the Huskies went on a 10-0 run midway through the first half to open up an 18-6 lead with 4:32 left to go in the first half. However, the Panthers responded with an 11-4 run to close out the half and NIU went into halftime with a 22-17 lead.
Eastern Illinois made it a three-point game early in the second half. However, NIU rattled off a 15-4 run to jump to open up a 14-point lead with nine minutes left in the game. Back-to-back buckets by Augusta sparked the run, while Corral's offense and defense helped the Huskies to extend their advantage.
The Huskies return to action Saturday when NIU travels to Chicago for a meeting with UIC Saturday, Dec. 22. Tip off is set for 1 p.m. CT. Fans can listen to the game live on 1360 AM WLBK and through Huskie All-Access.
Western Michigan 70, Valparaiso 69
KALAMAZOO, Mich.- Senior guard Aurielle Anderson drove the length of the court with 8.8 seconds left to score the winning bucket as Western Michigan edged out Valparaiso, 70-69, at University Arena Wednesday.
Anderson provided big plays all night, also hitting a contested three-pointer at the halftime buzzer.
The Broncos (4-7) built a 10-point first half lead, but let Valparaiso (3-7) back in the game in the final five minutes of the half, as the Crusaders outscored WMU by 11 over a five-minute span. WMU briefly relinquished the lead when Maegan Callaway hit layup with 22 seconds left in the first and it took Anderson's buzzer-beater to give Western Michigan a slight, 38-36, advantage at the half.
After WMU's Jazmine Windham hit a three to open the second half, Western Michigan and Valpo traded blows for most of the game. Neither team would lead by more than two possessions until Valpo scored eight straight to go up seven, 65-58, with 2:48 remaining. The Crusaders hit a three at the of the shot clock, banked in a second triple and had an offensive putback during the 8-0 run.
Windham hit two more three's over the next two minutes and Anderson got to the bucket to help the Broncos stay within reach down the stretch. Windham's backside three-pointer with 58 seconds pulled WMU within one, 67-66. After a Valpo turnover, Corie Buchanan drove to the hoop for two with 18 ticks left, giving WMU a one-point cushion, but Valpo took the lead back on Gina Lange's putback with 8.8 seconds left.
Valpo called a timeout, and Western Michigan drew up the play for Anderson. She got screen in the back court and streamed down the right lane, finishing with 2.5 seconds left on the clock. Valpo's final shot from half court fell short and WMU celebrated a 70-69 victory.
"Coach told me to get it in and go," Anderson said. "He said go make a play."
"We got her a little rub screen and that kid had to chase her a little bit," WMU head coach Shane Clipfell said. "Auri's got speed that few people have that we will play against. Few people have that speed when she gets the ball and gets going. She went off of two feet and did a good job of finishing."
Anderson ended the night with 11 points, two rebounds and two assists. Windham hit four of six three-pointers and had a team-high 14 points. Buchanan closed out with 12 points, five assists and four rebounds.
Three players reached double figures for Valparaiso, led by Liz Horton's game-high 19 points. Lange and Charae Richardson each had 11.
Valpo held a higher shooting percentage in the contest, connecting on 50.9 percent of its shots to WMU's 41.7 percent. The Broncos made five more free throws, going 11-for-12 from the line.
The win was the second-straight at home for the Broncos, who handed Chicago State a 42-point loss (80-38) on Dec. 8.
Western Michigan only has two more non-conference games left on its schedule, both on the road. After an eight-day break, the Broncos travel to Chicago for their next contest, facing UIC on Dec. 28, at 8 p.m. ET. WMU then heads to Philadelphia to play Temple Jan. 7.
The Broncos open their 16-game Mid-American Conference slate at home, Thursday, Jan. 10, against Eastern Michigan.
Bowling Green 64, UMASS 61
AMHERST, Mass. - Alexis Rogers made four free throws in the final 30 seconds to help the Bowling Green State University women's basketball team rally for a 64-61 win at the University of Massachusetts Wednesday night (Dec. 19). The non-conference game was held at the Mullins Center.
With the victory, the Falcons improve to 8-3 on the season, and BGSU has won five consecutive games.  The Minutewomen drop to 2-9.
Rogers and senior Chrissy Steffen each had 18 points to lead the Falcons. Jasmine Watson had a game-high 21 points for the hosts.
The Falcons led by four points at the half, and BGSU took a game-high nine-point lead on a Rogers layup with 14:25 left in the game.  But, the Minutewomen proceeded to score the next 11 points as part of a 22-6 run.  When Rashida Timbilla split a pair of free throws with 8:01 remaining, UMass had a seven-point lead.
The Falcons cut the lead to two points with just over five minutes left, and the Brown and Orange got within a single point after a Rogers driving layup with 3:17 remaining.  Junior Jillian Halfhill's nifty no-look steal gave the ball back to BGSU, and when senior Danielle Havel made a free throw at the 2:57 mark, the game was tied, 57-57.
Almost immediately, however, the home team responded in the form of a Millie Niggeling three-pointer, and the Falcons trailed again.  Rogers got an offensive rebound and laid the ball back up and in, cutting the UMass lead to 60-59 with 2:14 remaining.
Watson drove and drew a foul, splitting a pair of tosses.  But, Rogers was fouled on a drive as well.  She missed the first free-throw try -- her only miss in nine shots from the line -- but made the second with 1:56 on the clock.
The Minutewomen missed a shot on the next possession, and Rogers rebounded the ball with just over a minute left.  BG threw the ball right back to the hosts, however.  As UMass looked to throw the ball inside, though, Rogers grabbed the ball and was immediately fouled.  She hit both ends of the resulting one-and-one opportunity, giving the Falcons a 62-61 lead with 28.5 seconds remaining.
The home team's Emily Mital misfired on a three-point try, and as the teams scrambled for the rebound, a jump ball was called with 10.2 seconds to go, with the possession arrow pointing toward the Minutewomen.
UMass inbounded the ball, and Mital missed on a left-side layup try with roughly five seconds to go.  The rebound went to Niggeling near the foul line, but her jumper was off the mark as well.  Rogers grabbed the rebound and was fouled with 1.3 seconds to go.  She hit both free throws, and a desperation heave by the Minutewomen fell well short as the final horn sounded.
The Falcons are now idle for the next week and a half.  BGSU's next game will be Sunday, Dec. 30, when nationally-ranked Dayton comes to the Stroh Center.
Manhattan 58, Ohio 49
MANHATTAN, N.Y. – Ohio Women’s Basketball experienced its first setback since Dec. 2 on Wednesday evening, falling at Manhattan by a final score of 58-49.
The Bobcats did a good job of getting to the free-throw line, going 20-27 (74.1 percent) from the charity stripe, but were unable to overcome a difficult shooting night which saw them go 13-50 (26 percent) from the field. Manhattan operated at a 45 percent clip, hitting 18 of its 40 field-goal attempts including going 6-15 from three-point distance.
Symone Lyles led the way for the Bobcats offensively, scoring 11 points on 4-5 shooting. She was joined in double figures by Kiyanna Black (Columbus, Ohio), who scored 10 points on 3-9 shooting. Wednesday’s game marked the sixth straight outing during which she has scored in double figures.
Manhattan was led in scoring by Monica Roeder’s game-high 15 points. She also pulled down three rebounds, dished out four assists, swatted two blocks, and made two steals in 33 minutes of play.
Ohio jumped out to an early 6-4 lead, but the Jaspers would answer back with a 10-0 run to get out to a 14-6 advantage at the 10:50 mark. An important part of this run was hot shooting from Roeder and Ashley Stec, each of whom hit three-pointers from distance.
Sophomore point guard Kat Yelle (Geneva, Ill.) appeared in her second contest of the season on Wednesday night, sinking four free throws between the 4:31 and 2:40 marks of the first half to score her first points of the season. Her two shots at the charity stripe pulled Ohio within seven at 25-18.
Manhattan (3-7) took a 27-21 lead into the halftime break, shooting 9-22 (40.9 percent) from the field. The Jaspers were particularly dangerous from distance, going 5-9 (55.6 percent) from three-point range. Ohio connected on seven of its 24 attempts in the first half, shooting 29.2 percent. The Bobcats were 1-8 (12.5 percent) from three-point range.
Ohio (4-6) held a 16-14 edge in rebounds at the end of the first half, and also plucked five offensive boards away from the Jaspers. Yelle, Tina Fisher (Cottage Grove, Minn.), Mariah Byard (Mannington, W.Va.), and Lyles (Silver Spring, Md.) each scored four points for the Bobcats to lead Ohio’s offensive efforts. Roeder scored 10 points for the hosts in the first half to lead the way for all players. She went 2-4 from distance in the first 20 minutes.
Facing a 49-38 deficit late in the second half, Ohio ripped off a 6-0 run to pull within five with 3:56 remaining on the clock. Key during this run were four free throws from Erin Bailes (Huntington, W.Va.). Shavon Robinson (Canton, Ohio) followed this up with an important fast-break layup.
From this point on, Manhattan scored nine of the game’s final 13 points to put it out of reach. 
Ohio will next be in action at LIU Brooklyn on Friday afternoon. The Bobcats and Blackbirds will tip off at 1 p.m. This game will serve as Ohio’s final action of the 2012 calendar year.