Sunday's MAC Women's Soccer Recap

Updated 10/14/2012

Courtesy of MAC Sports Information Departments

Sunday's Women's Soccer Results - 10/14 
Akron 2, Bowling Green 0
Central Michigan 3, Buffalo 0  
Kent State 3, Eastern Michigan 0
Miami (Ohio) 1, Toledo 0
Ohio Western Michigan (called due to unplayable conditions) 
Ball State 1, Northern Illinois 0

Akron 2, Bowling Green 0
BOWLING GREEN, Ohio –  Junior midfielder Kelly DeNiro scored two goals - both on assists from senior forward Ashley Hughes - as the University of Akron women's soccer team defeated Bowling Green, 2-0, in a Mid-American Conference match Sunday afternoon at Cochrane Field.

"I'm proud of girls for persevering," said interim head coach Vernon Croft. "It has been a frustrating and challenging period recently with the one goal losses. Today was rewarding to get our first conference win. With that said, we need to move forward and prepare for Friday and Western Michigan."
Following two corner kicks by the Falcons in the fourth minute, Hughes took the first shot of the game in the sixth minute, but her effort went wide right of the goal.
Freshman forward Megan Waskowski forced a save out of BGSU goalkeeper Jenna Underwood in the 14th minute and then at the 14:03 mark the Zips (5-10-0, 1-7-0 MAC) struck first when Hughes fed DeNiro for her second goal of the season.
BGSU (1-14-1, 0-7-1 MAC) put their first shot on frame in the 27th minute and another in the 29th, but redshirt sophomore goalkeeper Alex Luevano-Harden made the saves. UA maintained the 1-0 lead going into halftime.
The Falcons opened the second half with shots on goal in the 50th and 51st minutes, and freshman goalkeeper Klaire Adee was there to stop both. At the 57:30 mark, Hughes again combined with DeNiro who finished to give the Zips a 2-0 lead.
At the 73-minute mark, senior midfielder Katie Wise took a shot that went wide of the left post and Adee came up with another save in the 77th.
The Zips defense held strong over the remaining minutes as Adee made three more saves to keep the Falcons from scoring.
In goal, Luevano-Harden started and played the first half and made two saves. Adee played the second 45 and registered six saves. The two keepers combined to post Akron's third shutout of the season.
The Zips return home to FirstEnergy Stadium – Cub Cadet Field on Friday, Oct. 19 for Senior Night against Western Michigan at 7:30 p.m. Akron also hosts Eastern Michigan on Sunday, Oct. 21 at 1 p.m.
Central Michigan 3, Buffalo 0 
MOUNT PLEASANT - Junior forward Jennifer Gassman scored in her second consecutive match and the defense did not allow a shot on goal as the Central Michigan women’s soccer team shut out Buffalo, 3-0, at the CMU Soccer Complex on a rainy and windy Sunday afternoon.
Facing sideways rain throughout the duration of the match and puddles throughout the pitch, the Chippewas (11-4-1, 7-1-0 MAC) allowed just two total shots to the Bulls (4-10-2, 2-4-1 MAC) while getting goals from Gassman, senior midfielder Autumn Hawkins and freshman forward Danielle Rotheram on 23 total shots, nine on goal.
The defensive back line, led by seniors Bailey Brandon and Katie Slaughter, combined with senior goalkeeper Stefanie Turner to record the Chippewas’ eighth shutout of the season. Turner has been in goal for seven, giving her 11 for her career.
The win continues the Chippewas' 38-match unbeaten streak at the CMU Soccer Complex, having gone 34-0-4 since their last loss in Mount Pleasant in 2008.
Following a scoreless first half for both sides, Hawkins put the Chippewas on the board first in the 56th minute. She battled for possession just five yards in front of goal, and rolled a shot past the Buffalo keeper, who came out to try to smother the ball, that had just enough power to overcome the headwind and roll into goal.
The goal was Hawkins’ second of the season, both of which have come on similar plays. Her first was the game-tying goal against Northern Illinois exactly one week earlier that sent the match into overtime.
The weather played a major factor in the Chippewas’ second goal, which came in the 71st minute. The Buffalo back line attempted to clear the ball back to their keeper, but the ball stopped in a puddle, allowing Rotheram to make a charge for the ball, win it from the Buffalo defense and fire a shot from just outside the box straight on goal that found the back of the net for a 2-0 lead.
Rotheram has now scored three goals on the season.
The Chippewas added another goal in the 82nd minute when Gassman pushed up the far side of the field and fired a shot that eluded the Buffalo keeper and put the Chippewas up, 3-0.
The goal is her second of the weekend, including the game-winner against Akron on Friday, and the team-leading fourth of the season, surpassing her previous season-high of three in each of her first two seasons in Mount Pleasant. Three of her four goals have come within the confines of the CMU Soccer Complex.
Junior Kaely Schlosser led the team with seven shot attempts, including two on goal, while Brandon and sophomore forward Laura Gosse each took three.
The Chippewas now turn their attention to Friday’s home showdown with MAC East Division-leading Miami (OH), at 4:30 p.m. in a match that will have MAC Tournament seeding implications.

Kent State 3, Eastern Michigan 0
YPSILANTI, Mich. – The Kent State women's soccer team (10-3-2, 5-2-1 MAC) earned their third consecutive road win in Mid-American Conference play in convincing fashion Sunday afternoon with the Golden Flashes' 3-0 victory at Eastern Michigan.

Three different players scored for the Golden Flashes, while the defense notched their seventh shutout of the season and fifth shutout in MAC play.
Freshman defender Briana Bartolone (Auburn, Ohio) scored what proved to be the game-winner at the 26:29 mark in the game. Her first collegiate goal came on a direct free kick from 35-yards out that found the lower left corner.
Sophomore Stephanie Haugh (Richmond Hill, Ontario) wasted little time in getting Kent State on the board again. With 26:57 on the clock, Haugh scored her fifth goal of the season when she combined with senior defender Hannah Newhouse (Strongsville, Ohio).
The two first-half goals were just 28 seconds apart, eclipsing the team's previous best of two goals scored in the span of 42 seconds against Northern Illinois last season.
Adding an insurance strike in the 34th minute was junior Jaclyn Dutton (Bridgeport, Ohio), as the prolific scorer tallied her 14th goal of the year off an assist by Haugh.
Freshman goalkeeper Stephanie Senn (Grand Island, N.Y.) made four saves tally the win and drop the team's goals-against average in MAC play to 0.71 through eight contests.
The team's 10-victory season marks the seventh 10-win season in program history and second consecutive, after last year's squad notched 12 victories.
Eastern Michigan (8-6-1, 5-3-0 MAC) outshot Kent State 18-13 on the day; interestingly, the Eagles had an 11-9 advantage in shots in the first half when the Golden Flashes took a 3-0 lead. Again Kent State's defense was up to the task, as just four of Eastern Michigan's 18 shots were on goal.
Kent State returns home to conclude the regular season with three straight home games, starting Friday, Oct. 19 against Northern Illinois. Kick-off against the Huskies is slated for 4 p.m. at Zoeller Field.

Miami (Ohio) 1,  Toledo 0
TOLEDO, OH – Toledo did more than hold its own against Mid-American Conference frontrunner Miami on Sunday, but the Rockets came up a little short and suffered a 1-0 setback at rainy Scott Park. With the loss, UT falls to 6-9-1 overall, 5-3-1 in the league.

The two-time reigning MAC regular-season champion Rockets finished with a 12-10 edge in shots in the cross-division showdown, including a match-best five off the foot of junior Rachel MacLeod. Unfortunately for the Midnight Blue & Gold, they were unable to find the back of the net and sustained its first home setback against the RedHawks (14-2-0, 8-0-0 MAC) since 2002. UT had been unbeaten in its last six matchups (5-0-1 mark) against Miami at the corner of Hill Avenue and Parkside Boulevard. 
The RedHawks’ Katy Dolesh scored today’s lone goal on a well executed free kick at the 19:31 mark in the  first half. Teammate Kelsey Dinges started the play with a pass forward to Dolesh along the left side of the pitch about 30 yards from the Toledo goal. Dolesh made a quick turn to her left to create some open space between her and the Toledo defender and blasted a shot just inside the far post to collect her seventh goal of the season.
In the opening stages of today’s contest, Miami’s Kayla Zakrzewski was presented with a quality scoring opportunity. Zakrzewski accapted a pass from Jess Kodiak and made a long run down the left side before launching a shot that hit the near post and caromed out of danger in the ninth minute.
UT’s best opportunity to score in the first stanza came a little more than six minutes later off the foot of MacLeod. The 2011 MAC Offensive Player of the Year fired a shot from the left side toward the back post that Miami netminder Allison Norenberg made a diving stop on to keep the match scoreless.
Following the goal, Miami had one other chance to double the lead before the intermission on a pair of shots by Zakrzewski with only nine minutes showing the clock. The midfielder’s first shot from about six-yards out in the middle of the goal box was blocked by sophomore goalie Kelsey Borowitz, but the keeper was unable to corral it. The loose ball bounced right back to Zakrzewski, and she fired another shot that eluded Borowitz but UT senior Jaimie Morsillo cleared the ball before it crossed the line to keep it a 1-0 difference at halftime.
To start the second period, Toledo sophomore Rio James made a nice play to create a scoring opportunity with just over 38 minutes left in regulation. The second-year Rocket accepted a high pass from freshman Geri Siuizinski and volleyed a shot from approximately 12 yards out that Miami’s Norenberg made an acrobatic save toward the near post to maintain the 1-0 lead.
The only other legitimate scoring chance over the final 45 minutes was by Miami’s Jess Kodiak with a little under 24 minutes remaining. Teammate Haley Walter put a pass deep into UT territory that Kodiak outsprinted the Rockets’ defense to. UT’s Borowitz came off her line and forced Kodiak out wide to cut down her angle at the goal. By the time Kodiak was able to get a good look at the net and fire off a shot, Toledo senior Megan Blake had recovered and blocked it out of danger.
Toledo had the wind at its back and controlled a majority of the action in the second half. The four-time MAC Tournament champions posted a 5-4 edge in shots in the second stanza but were unable to convert and as a result suffered their eighth shutout of the season.
Between the posts, UT’s Borowitz went the distance and finished with three saves. 
Dolesh and Kodiak led the RedHawks with three shots each, helping the MAC overall leaders post their ninth consecutive victory. Norenberg also worked all 90 minutes in goal and tallied four stops to collect her sixth blanking in 2012.    
The Rockets return to action on Friday, Oct. 19 when they travel to MAC East Division foe Ohio. The opening whistle from Chessa Field is slated for 3:00 p.m.

Ball State 1, Northern Illinois 0
DeKALB, Ill. – The Northern Illinois women’s soccer team fell to Ball State Sunday afternoon, 1-0, following a failed clearance attempt in the ninth minute of play in windy, rainy conditions at NIU Soccer Complex. Thunder and lightning caused a 71 minute delay in the 25th minute.

“It was a difficult day in Senior Day and I think everyone was really excited for that and I think everyone wanted to do well for the seniors,” said Head Coach John Ross, “but sometimes wanting to do too much leads to not doing enough and I think that’s where we found ourselves today. Ball State is a very good team and they played very well and I think that was a problem for us as well.”
During the Senior Day ceremonies, the wind began to pick up and 10 minutes later at the conclusion of the national anthem, a heavy rain began to spit on field and the players to setup a slick pitch for the match.
Ball State began on the attack in the match and in the ninth minute of play with a loose ball inside the 18-yard box, a Northern Illinois defender cleared the ball, but failed to get it past the center attacking midfielder Sarah Orisich. The attacker jumped in the air and collected the ball with her left boot to settle the ball at the top of the box and then fired to the far right of the net to give the Cardinals a 1-0 lead.
BSU continued to control possession of the ball for the 25 minutes of the match until a clap of thunder and flash of lightning caused a delay and forced the officials and the players into the nearby Convocation Center. The inclement weather persisted for 31 minutes and after another 30 minutes, the teams were allowed to get back on the pitch, warm up and continue play.
When play resumed, despite the Cardinals advantage entering the delay, both teams were even with little to separate them in their play, a contrast to the Huskies first 25 minutes of play.
“I think the delay helped us more than it helped them, we were a little off at the beginning and that gave us a chance to get situated and the effort got much better, but we have a little ways to go. We got to get back to work on Tuesday and get it done.”
When the second half began, Northern Illinois began with the advantage as it worked into the attacking third with precision. The Huskies were able to move the ball around the box and attempt to breakdown the Cardinals defense. Eight minutes into the stanza, Kayra Thompson fired the Huskies first shot of the match, but it was blocked at the top of the box by a BSU defender.
The Huskies earned six corner kicks in the second period and were threatening to breakthrough on their attempts working the far and near posts. In the 67th minute setup by a midfield interception and great through ball, Jasmine Moses worked the ball towards the net in a one on one situation with Amy Carr. Moses fired low and hard inside the box from 10 yards out, where Carr was able to make the save and collect the ball with ease to prevent BSU from going up 2-0.
With the Huskies giving little to no possession of the ball in the final 15 minutes, freshman Nicole Gobbo fired a great shot on net in the 84th minute of play, but goalkeeper Aubrey Buehler got a hand to it to force another NIU corner kick. The Huskies continued to fire shots but were unable to find any daylight in the defense as the backline blocked the rest of the shots.
A corner kick with 28 seconds remaining in the match was Northern Illinois’ last chance to score, the ball curved low and sailed into the side netting to end of the match.
Northern Illinois will return to action next weekend for a pair of matches at Kent State and Ohio Oct. 19 and 21, respectively.