Wednesday's MAC Men's Soccer Results

Updated 10/10/2012

Courtesy of MAC Sports Information Departments

Wednesday's Men's Soccer Results - 10/10 
Akron 2, Penn St. 0
Bowling Green 0,  Ohio St. 2
Hartwick 1,  Bucknell 0
Western Michigan 2, Cincinnati 1


Akron 2, Penn St. 0 
UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. – The No. 3 University of Akron men's soccer team extended a number of impressive streaks Wednesday night in a 2-0 victory against Penn State at Jeffrey Field Wednesday night.

It was the fifth straight win for the Zips, who improved to 8-1-2 overall, and their sixth straight shutout. UA also pushed their run of consecutive shutouts to six matches and has not allowed a goal in its last 481:30 of play.
Akron took control early with a pair of first-half goals from Reinaldo Brenes and Scott Caldwell and held on for the win. With the defeat, PSU fell to 6-4-2 on the year.
The Zips were on the attack from the start of the match and recorded a number of quality chances before breaking through.
The first came in the 16th minute when Brenes banged a shot off the far post from the left flank. Dillon Serna was there with the follow up but PSU keeper Emmanuel Martin dove to his left to punch the ball clear.
In the 23rd minute, a long ball by Robbie Derschang found Serna, who cut through the PSU backline for a breakaway opportunity but the freshman's shot sailed wide of the net.
Akron's persistence paid off in the match's 28th minute when a great through ball from Eric Stevenson left Brenes with space in front of the goal. The junior forward made the most of the opportunity by chipping a shot over the keeper for his sixth goal in his last three matches.
Brenes nearly found the net again just minutes later when Serna slipped him the ball near the top of the box. Brenes followed with a lob shot that Martin pushed just over the cross bar.
Penn State had its best chance - and its lone quality opportunity - of the first half in the 39th minute on a counter attack following an Akron corner kick. A series of passes left Hasani Sinclair with room on the right flank but his shot sailed wide of the far post.
Akron capitalized with less than four minutes left in the first half when Stevenson was brought down in the box to earn the Zips a penalty kick. Caldwell finished to give the Zips a 2-0 lead on his team-leading seventh goal of the fall.
The Zips out-shot the Nittany Lions 12-10 overall and 5-3 on goal. UA also earned seven corner kicks to PSU's one.
Akron will put its 41-match Mid-American Conference unbeaten streak on the line this weekend when it travels to Northern Illinois. The Zips and Huskies will kick off at 1 p.m. (ET) Saturday at NIU Soccer Complex.

Bowling Green 0, Ohio St. 2
Austin McAnena's goal in the 27th minute of the match proved to be the winner, as host Ohio State University posted a 2-0 victory over the Bowling Green State University men's soccer team Wednesday night (Oct. 10).  The non-conference match was held at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium.

With the victory, the Buckeyes improve to 5-7-1 on the season.  The Falcons drop to 4-6-2.
Alec Lowell's goal with just under 80 minutes gone gave the hosts some insurance. Chris Hegngi had an assist on both OSU goals.
Alex Wimmer was credited with four saves in goal for the Buckeyes.  For the Falcons, junior Michael Wiest made five saves, several of the spectacular variety.
The Brown and Orange will return to action on Saturday night (Oct. 13), hosting the University at Buffalo in Mid-American Conference play at Cochrane Field.  Kickoff is set for 7:00 p.m.

Hartwick 1, Bucknell 0
LEWISBURG, PA – A goal from freshman Marc Russell (Glasgow, Scotland/Woodfarm HS) in the 23rd minute was all Hartwick would need in a 1-0 shutout of Bucknell University on Wednesday night at Emmitt Field at Holmes Stadium in Lewisburg, PA. The victory for ’Wick snaps a two-game slide and puts the team in the win column for just the second time in six games.

The Hawks, who improve to 4-5-2 overall, earn their third shutout of the season and improve to 2-1-2 versus the Bison in the all-time series. Bucknell, which entered the game ranked 8th in the NSCAA Mid-Atlantic Poll, drops to 5-4-3.
 “This was a win we needed to get,” said Hartwick head coach John Scott following the game. “It’s our first win on the road this season and it gives us some needed confidence heading into this weekend at West Virginia.”
  Hartwick started the game well as it moved the ball and created chances in the Bucknell end. The Bison defense had difficulty with the duo of Russell and Cleyon Brown (Kingston, Jamaica/Berkshire School) up top.
 “Cleyon and Marc worked very well together to start the game,” added Scott. “They played off each other and were causing their defenders fits.”
’Wick’s pressure paid off at the 22:04 mark of the first half. A ball was played to Russell who had his back to the Bison goal roughly 30 yards away. He played it to the right corner flag and back Chris Walter (Snyder, NY/Nichols School) had to do everything in his power to save it from going out of bounds.
Walter’s service swung into the box away from goal and senior Jason Keefe (Springfield, MA/Springfield Central) used his body to shield the ball from a Bison defender allowing it to continue traveling to the top of the 18-yard box. Russell was there awaiting it and met the ball perfectly, hammering it low to the far post and past Bucknell goalkeeper Mike Lansing for his second tally of the season and a 1-0 lead.
“What an absolute sublime goal,” stated Scott. “It was a great build up but you have to credit Marc for just a great finish.”
Hartwick held a 3-1 edge in shots over the final 23 minutes of the half but the score remained 1-0 at the break. The Hawks and Bison were tied in the shots department, 6-6. ’Wick took all five of the game’s corners of the half.
The second half was a different story as the hosts, down a goal, began to press forward. Bucknell took the first six shots of the second session over the opening 22 minutes. Hartwick goalkeeper Tom Buckner (Oxford, England/Henley College), however, was not called on to make a save in the span as all six never made it onto the Hartwick goal.
Keefe had a shot saved by reserve goalkeeper Clarke Fox and Brown had two shots go wide of the mark in the next 14 minutes for the Hawks. With less than seven minutes remaining on the clock, a header by Bucknell’s Brendan Burgdorf nearly evened the score but it was cleared out of the goalmouth by a Hawks’ defender. A rebound shot by Jesse Klug was put wide for the final chance for the hosts and ’Wick emerged with the victory.
“We really withstood a lot of pressure in the second half,” added Scott. “But we were organized in the midfield and at the back. Buckner was also strong commanding the box and coming off his line.”
The Bison outshot ’Wick 9-3 in the second half and 15-9 in the match. BU took all six corners in the second 45 minutes to finish with a 6-5 margin.
Buckner closed the game with three saves to earn the clean sheet. Lansing stopped two shots in picking up the loss in the Bucknell goal. Clarke had one saves over the final 45 minutes.
Hartwick next travels to Morgantown, WV on Sunday, October 14 for its third all-time meeting with the West Virginia Mountaineers. The Hawks are 2-0 in the series but this encounter will be the first in the MAC. The Mountaineers are currently second in the conference with a 2-0-1 record. Hartwick is fifth at 1-1. Kickoff is slated for 1 p.m.

Western Michigan 2,  Cincinnati 1

CINCINNATI- Junior Oliver Mayer scored an early goal and senior Shane Lyons buried a penalty kick in the second overtime to lead Western Michigan to a 2-1 road victory over Big East opponent Cincinnati. With the win, the Broncos upped their overall record to 9-3-2 on the year.
Cincinnati (5-6-3) had allowed just one goal in six home matches entering Wednesday's contest and had shut out six of the previous seven opponents to play in Gettler Stadium. It was just the second ever win for Western Michigan over the Bearcats in five all-time meetings, and the first since 1986.
Both Western Michigan and Cincinnati were ranked in the top 10 in this week's NSCAA Great Lakes Regional poll. The Broncos held the No. 8 spot, two ahead of UC at No. 10.
Lyons' goal was his team-leading sixth of the season, scoring all six of those in the last seven games after missing four contests with an injury. He has recorded at least one point in each of the last seven games, picking up an assist in the only game he didn't score.
"To say we have a happy bunch of players here right now is a complete understatement," said WMU head coach Stu Riddle. "They are overjoyed with this result and they can be very proud of each other and the way they played tonight. We learned a lot about our team tonight and all of it is very positive. Everyone is chomping at the bit for the remaining five games we have on our schedule."
Mayer caught the Bearcat defense on their heels two minutes into the match, booting his fourth goal of the season. Ryan Lemasters played Mayer on the right wing and Mayer dribbled up the sideline, almost uncontested. Making his way swiftly past defenders, Mayer snapped a 25-yard left-footed shot to the right of UC keeper Taylor Hafling. Lemasters was credited with his seventh assist of the year.
Western Michigan held the lead until the 85th minute when Leon Powell tied the score with his first goal of the season. WMU failed to clear in its defensive third and the ball pin-balled around in the box before Powell was able to poke it into the net.
Each team put a final shot on goal before the end of regulation and Cincinnati out-shot WMU 3-1 in the first overtime, putting one on target. Western Michigan goalkeeper Sean Lewis would finish with five saves in the game.
WMU came up with the game-winning goal 1:41 into the second overtime. Mario Texiera carried the ball down the left wing and sent a cross into Jason Grant. Grant had gotten good offensive positioning, tucking inside his defender and was pulled down at the six. Lyons converted the PK for the Bronco win.
The game featured 41 total fouls and Cincinnati held a 19-14 shot advantage. The Bearcats were whistled for five offsides and the Broncos were called for two.
Western Michigan returns to Kalamazoo to host Horizon League foe Detroit Wednesday, Oct. 17. The Broncos close out the regular season with four-straight conference games, facing Hartwick, Buffalo, Northern Illinois and Akron.