Sunday's MAC Women's Soccer Recap

Updated 10/7/2012

Courtesy of MAC Sports Information Departments 


Sunday's Women Soccer Scoreboard
Toledo 3, Bowling Green 0 
Buffalo 1, Ohio 0
Central Michigan 2,  Northern Illinois 1
Miami (Ohio) 4, Eastern Michigan 3
Kent State 3, Akron 2 (2OT)
Western Michigan 0, Ball State 0

Toledo 3, Bowling Green 0
TOLEDO, OH - Toledo blanked arch-rival Bowling Green, 3-0, on Sunday to earn a much-needed Mid-American Conference victory at chilly Scott Park. With the win, UT improves to 5-8-1, 3-2-1 in the league.

The home triumph keeps the two-time reigning conference regular-season champion Rockets in the thick of the race for a home match in the upcoming MAC Tournament. Toledo currently sits fifth in the league with 10 points, trailing Miami (18 pts.), Central Michigan (15 pts.), Eastern Michigan (12 pts.) and Ball State (11 pts.). The top four squads in the final regular-season standings regardless of division will host teams five through eight in the quarterfinal round on Sunday, Oct. 28 at campus sites. Teams earns three points for a win and one point for a tie.
UT received a pair of scores from freshman Angelica Hernandez and one from senior Natalia Gaitan to extend its win streak against the Falcons (1-12-1, 0-5-1 MAC) to seven consecutive matches (5-0-2 record).

Buffalo 1,  Ohio 0
ATHENS, OH - Needing to close out its weekend with three points to remain in the Mid-American Conference tournament chase, the Buffalo women's soccer team (3-9-2, 1-4-1 MAC) faced an Ohio Bobcat team (7-6-1, 2-3-1 MAC) that had lost only one home match all season. Courtney Mann converted a penalty kick in the 18th minute and the Buffalo defense carried the team the rest of the way for a 1-0 win.

The victory was Buffalo's first in the MAC season, and it was the first true road win of the season. The team's other win away from UB Stadium came against Robert Morris in the Niagara Fall Classic, a neutral-field matchup.
"I think this team has been really close all season, and today we did a great job of doing the extra little things that turn the good things that we've been doing into a good result," head coach Michael Thomas said.
At the 17:09 mark in the game, Taylor Thompson took a through ball past the defense and faced a charging Ohio goalie Nicole Amari. She was fouled hard on the play and was shaken up, leading to Mann's eventual game-winner. She cooly scored on the attempt for her second goal of the season on a kick that coach Thomas described as "as un-savable a penalty kick as you could have". The Bulls would pester Amari for the rest of the period, putting five more shots on goal.
"We knew this result was going to happen, because we've been close all season," Mann said. "My goal today came because of Taylor's effort."
Searching for the equalizer in the final frame, Ohio was much more aggressive over the final 45 minutes, but the Buffalo defense was well prepared. Despite allowing eight shots and five corner kicks in the second half alone, the Buffalo defense held its ground to ensure the win.
For the game, both sides took 16 shots, but the Bulls were able to put 10 on goal while limiting the Bobcats to just three. The back line of the defense made life easy for goalie Ainsley Wheldon, blocking down five shots in the game. Wheldon made the final three stops that were put on frame to lock down her third shutout of the season. It was also her 14th career clean sheet, moving her into a three-way tie for the second most in a career in program history.
"The back line was about as close to perfect as you could be today," Thomas said. "They eliminated chances, and when they allowed a chance they made life very difficult for the offense and were able to cut off angles and get in front of shots. That allowed Ainsley to sit back and do what she does best."
On offense, the Bulls received solid production from Courtney Gross (three shots on goal) and a handful of other players. In total, seven different players put a shot on goal and ten different players attempted a shot, displaying an offense that proved to be so successful to the team in games past.
The Bulls will remain on the road for another conference weekend coming up, with two more challenging matches on tap. First will be at Bowling Green on Friday, with a Sunday afternoon game at Central Michigan to follow.

ATHENS, Ohio – Ohio Women’s Soccer lost a close match to the visiting Buffalo Bulls on Sunday afternoon at Chessa Field, falling by a final score of 1-0. Courtney Mann’s successful penalty attempt in the 18th minute proved to be the only difference in the match.
Each team registered a total of 16 shots throughout the contest. Buffalo hit 10 of its shots on target while the ‘Cats recorded three on frame. Ohio (7-6-1, 2-2-1 MAC) received solid goalkeeping play from both Nicole Amari and Rachel Fryan (Racine, Wis.), each of whom played one half of the match. Amari made five saves while Fryan stopped four Buffalo shots.
Maggie Murnane (Libertyville, Ill.) led the way offensively for the Green and White. The junior fired three total shots in the match, playing the entire 90 minutes of the contest. She was matched in total shots by Courtney Gross, who also registered three attempts. 
The Bobcats and Bulls battled for possession in the midfield for much of the first half. Paige Howard (Mentor, Ohio) had the first good chance of the match, firing a shot on target in just the third minute of play. Ainsley Wheldon was in the right spot, however, and was able to make the save.
In the 17th minute, Buffalo (3-9-2, 1-4-1 MAC) was awarded a penalty. Taylor Thompson was charging down the middle of the field after a long pass made its way over the Ohio defense. Amari (Vernon Hills, Ill.) ran out and made the initial save on the shot attempt, but was whistled for a foul inside the penalty area. Courtney Mann stepped up to the spot in the 18th minute and hit a shot to the top-right corner, giving the Bulls a 1-0 advantage.
The Bobcats pressed hard in the second half, looking for the equalizer. Despite earning five corners and generating eight shots in the second frame, Ohio had difficulty putting them on target. Wheldon was tested once in the final 45 minutes when Veronica Rock (North Royalton, Ohio) fired a hard shot on goal in the 59th minute. 
Ohio will next be in action on Friday, Oct. 12 at Eastern Michigan. The Bobcats and Eagles will kick off at 3 p.m. 

Central Michigan 2, Northern Illinois 1
DEKALB, Ill. - Despite playing with just 10 players for 82 minutes of 108 total, the Central Michigan women’s soccer team battled for a dramatic 2-1 double-overtime comeback victory over Northern Illinois Sunday afternoon, with freshman Christen Chiesa firing the game-winning shot just 30 seconds after entering the match.

Chiesa took the field at the 106:52 mark, positioned herself on the near side of the field just outside the box and bent a shot over the head of the NIU goalkeeper and into the upper left of the frame at the 107:23 mark after receiving a pass from junior midfielder Kaely Schlosser. The goal is the second of her career.
The Chippewas (9-4-1, 5-1-0 MAC) had been playing a player down since the 26th minute when senior defender Katie Slaughter exited the match with a red card after an aggressive battle for the ball with an NIU (6-5-2, 2-2-2 MAC) player next to the CMU goal that resulted in both players running into the post.
"When you're down a player it is very difficult to throw numbers forward, and I am incredibly proud to say that we were a player down for 82 minutes, nearly the equivalent of an entire match, and we outshot a team," head coach Neil Stafford. "The fact that we generated offense in that situation shows how much character this program has. For us to stay together and fight on the way we did makes me incredibly proud."
Despite the numbers disadvantage, the Chippewas still outperformed the Huskies on offense with 19 shots, six on goal, while permitting just nine total shots and three on goal to the Huskies - none in the two overtime periods.
The Chippewas would not have been in position for their thrilling double-overtime victory over the Huskies, which maintains a share of first place in the MACWest division, were it not for senior midfielder Autumn Hawkins’ gutsy effort to tie the match in the final stages of regulation.
The ball was popped up into the box in the 74th minute and initially controlled by the Huskies, but Hawkins prevented the clearance and fought for a loose ball with a group of NIU defenders just yards in front of the goal, took control and found the far side of the net to tie the match, 1-1.
The Chippewas pushed into the box again in the 88th minute, when senior forwardLaura Twidle had a shot blocked by an NIU defender after nearly finding a potential game-winning opening on goal.
Neither team attempted a shot in the first overtime, though the Huskies had opportunities with two corner kicks. The CMU defense, led by senior Bailey Brandon, also did not allow a shot in the second overtime period.
The Chippewas put themselves in a hole early with a defensive foul in the box in the 26th minute that gave NIU’s Allie McBride a penalty kick. She put the shot past a diving senior goalkeeper Stefanie Turner low to the far post for a 1-0 lead.
The Chippewas allowed just one shot to the Huskies after the penalty kick and generated a number of game-equalizing opportunities. Central took two shots on goal in the half, and another two caromed off the crossbar.
Senior midfielder Ashley Mejilla had two shots within the span of 30 seconds at the 30-minute mark, including one that went off the crossbar.
Five minutes later the Chippewas worked their way into the box and generated a look in front of the goal for Mejilla that went high over the crossbar.
The goal frame was again unkind to the Chippewas as Schlosser fired a shot from 10 yards outside the box that very nearly bent down into the upper part of thegoal but instead bounced off the middle of the crossbar.
Central Michigan returns home this coming weekend at the CMU Soccer Complex for a Friday match against Akron at 4 p.m.

Miami (Ohio) 4, Eastern Michigan 3
OXFORD, Ohio ( – A furious second-half rally by the Eastern Michigan University women's soccer team ended in disappointment as Miami University scored the go-ahead tally with five minutes remaining to escape with a 4-3 win Sunday afternoon, Oct. 7. The Eagles (7-5-1; 4-2-0 MAC) fall out of first place in the Mid-American Conference West Division, while the RedHawks (12-2-0; 6-0-0 MAC) maintain the top spot in the MAC.

Eastern Michigan fell behind, 3-1, in the 52nd minute, but freshman Megan Trapp's first-career goal in the 67th minute and sophomore Martha Stevens' tally in the 84th minute stunned the home crowd and pulled EMU even. The tie would be broken less than a minute later when Kayla Zakrzewski notched the game-winner for the RedHawks.
Sophomore Angela Vultaggio opened the scoring Sunday with her sixth of the year. Junior Cara Cutaia also registered a point in the contest with an assist on Vultaggio's goal. In goal, redshirt freshman Jenna O'Dell made three saves on seven MU shots in a losing effort.
Miami's Kelsey Dinges scored a pair of goals on the afternoon and Katy Dolesh added one as well. Goalkeeper Allison Norenberg stopped three-of-six EMU shots en route to her sixth straight MAC victory.
EMU broke the scoreless tie in the 14th minute when a strong pass from Cutaia found Vultaggio, whose shot hit the corner of the net to put the road team ahead, 1-0. Dinges quickly made up the difference and put the RedHawks ahead for the first time, 2-1, with goals in the 20th and 27th minutes.
A one-goal margin held until the 52nd minute, when Dolesh tapped the ball into the back of the net from close range. Miami held a seemingly-commanding 3-1 lead with less than 40 minutes to play.
Trapp brought the Green and White back into the game in the 67th minute when she took a shot from inside the box that just cleared the keeper's head. Then with six minutes to play, Stevens drew EMU even with her second goal of the season.
Just when it seemed overtime was a certainty, Zakrzewski took the opening possession following the EMU goal into the attacking zone and deposited her sixth of the season to regain the lead for the RedHawks, 4-3. The Eagles would be unable to add the equalizer before the 90-minute mark and Miami walked away with the narrow victory.

Kent State 3, Akron 2
AKRON, Ohio – The Kent State women’s soccer team (8-3-2, 3-2-1 MAC) rallied from a pair of one-goal deficits at conference and regional foe Akron Sunday afternoon, and scored the game’s golden goal in the 103rd minute to take a 3-2 victory over the Zips at FirstEnergy Stadium.

Junior defender Morgan Mah (Edmonton, Alberta) scored the game-winner in the second overtime period, blasting a 23-yard shot to the far post for her first goal of the season and the second of her career.
Junior forward Jaclyn Dutton (Bridgeport, Ohio) tallied Kent State’s two other goals in the win, including a game-tying penalty kick in the 90th minute to force overtime. Her two goals are her 12th and 13th of the season.
“I have to give this team tons of credit for the fight and desire they showed today,” Kent State head coach Rob Marinaro said of his charges. “Once we got going, the second half was absolutely tremendous. It was one of our best 45 minutes we’ve had this season.”
The Golden Flashes trailed early in the match when Akron tallied the game’s first goal in the fifth minute. Neither team found the net the remainder of the half, despite a 5-2 shots advantage for Kent State.
“It took us a little bit to rebound from that goal,” Marinaro said. “Akron capitalized on a fantastic opportunity. Give them a lot of credit because (Akron) has a lot of desire in them, too.”
Similar to Friday’s contest, Kent State came out hard in the second half. The team’s pressure resulted in Dutton’s first goal of the game in the 59th minute. Sophomore forward Stephanie Haugh (Richmond Hill, Ontario) served a cross from the right side, where the ball was kept alive by freshman defender Briana Bartolone (Auburn, Ohio). Dutton then slammed home a shot from the left side to equalize.
Less than 10 minutes later, however, Akron (4-9-0, 0-6-0 MAC) regained the lead when a penalty kick in the 68th minute.
Kent State continued to press, an effort that included nine corner kicks and 13 shots in the second half. In the game’s final minute, Haugh was challenged by an Akron defender on the right side near the end line; the tackle resulted in a penalty kick for Kent State, where Dutton converted on her fourth spot kick of the year to tie the game at 2-2 and force overtime.
In the first extra session, Kent State outshot the Zips 3-1, including a pair on target, but Akron’s defense held off the attack. After the teams swapped ends, Kent State again pressed. A cross from the right side failed to result in a shot, but an Akron defender’s clearance found the feet of Mah. Despite firing on a ball with pace, Mah stayed on top of the ball to keep it on target, where the ball found the net past Akron goalkeeper Alex Luevano-Harden for the game-ending score.
Kent State’s defense held Akron to just five shots for the game. Kent State goalkeeper Stephanie Senn (Grand Island, N.Y.) earned the win, but was not credited with a save in the contest. 
The Golden Flashes are back in action against Mid-American Conference foes Friday, Oct. 12 at Western Michigan for a 4 p.m. Contest.

Western Michigan 0, Ball State 0
MUNCIE, Ind. -- The Ball State soccer team battled Western Michigan to a scoreless draw Sunday afternoon in Mid-American Conference action at the Briner Sports Complex.

The Cardinals and Broncos played 110 minutes in the double-overtime affair between two strong defensive squads. It was the second straight shutout recorded by the Cardinals and the fourth by the Broncos in their six conference games. 
Ball State (6-4-4) finished off a quality weekend, improving to 3-1-2 in conference play with Friday’s win over Eastern Michigan and Sunday’s tie with Western Michigan. The Broncos (5-6-3) now stand at 1-2-3 in the league after their third scoreless draw in MAC play.
Ball State generated the majority of its offensive chances in the first half Sunday. The Cardinals controlled play for the opening 45 minutes and logged 14 of their 20 shots before the break. Freshman forward Morgan Whitfield gave the Cardinals one of their best looks when she got loose on a breakaway, but her shot missed just wide of the goal.
The Cardinals put 12 shots on goal in the contest, but Western Michigan goalkeeper Michelle Watson saved them all.
“I felt that our ball movement could have been quicker today,” Ball State coach Craig Roberts said. “We kind of got locked up in the middle and we just needed to play a little bit quicker with the types of passes we made. But I felt that the energy was there and the girls came to play.”
On the other end of the field, Ball State’s defensive effort limited the Broncos to eight shots. Only two of those came in the first half, but they provided Western Michigan’s best looks of the day. Ball State keeper Aubrey Buehler deflected the first one over the crossbar on an attempt from Diana Dedvukaj, and the other hit the post on a deflection from WMU’s Megan Putnam.
Much of the second half and both overtime periods was played in the middle of the field with the teams combining for only 12 shots (six each) after halftime.
Buehler made four of her five saves after the first half and also came out of the goal several times to cut off crosses from Western Michigan. The senior goalkeeper secured her second straight shutout, her third of the season and her 10th as a Cardinal.
Maimee Morris, who scored the game-winner Friday against Eastern Michigan, paced the Ball State attack with four shots Sunday. Putnam finished with four shots to lead Western Michigan.
Ball State will hit the road next weekend with road trips to Toledo and Northern Illinois as MAC play continues. There are only five games remaining in the regular season.