Saturday's MAC Men's Soccer Results

Updated 9/15/2012

Courtesy of MAC Home Sports Information Departments 

Saturday's MAC Men's Soccer Results 
Robert Morris 2, Hartwick 1
West Virginia 2, American 1

Robert Morris 2, Hartwick 1
MOON TOWNSHIP, PA – Hartwick surrendered a pair of goals in an 11:29 span of the game and couldn't come up with the tying goal deep in the second half of a 2-1 road defeat at Robert Morris University's North Athletic Complex on Saturday afternoon. With the setback, the Hawks slip to 2-2-2 overall on the season. Robert Morris improves to 2-4-1.

Hartwick did not play its best soccer in the first half. The Colonials had a few good chances to score with Mateo Munarriz (Manizales, Colombia/Colegio Granadino) and the Hawks' defense making some big saves.
“We underperformed in the first half,” said Hartwick head coach John Scott following the match. “We didn't play the way we are capable of playing and we didn't generate much on the offensive end.”
RMU had its first chance of the match in the 9th minute of action. Luca Campos found himself on a breakaway and he walked in on Munarriz. His shot eluded the Hartwick keeper but was cleared off the line by a 'Wick defender to keep the game level.
Hartwick had its best chance of the half in the 33rd minute. Senior midfielder Tyler Bailey (Spencer, NY/Binghamton Univ.) swung a free kick around the RMU wall but Colonial goalkeeper Toba Bolaji managed to push the ball wide of the right post.
In the 35th minute, Prince Samuels had another opportunity for the hosts. His volley skipped inside the box and looked destined for the right corner but Munarriz tipped it wide of the Hawks' goal.
The Colonials broke the ice in the 40th minute. A long ball from Campos was headed back to Miro Cabrilo by Daniel Calabretta. Cabrilo took two touches to the center of the Hawks' box before hammering a shot inside the near left post past Munarriz for the RMU lead.
“There was not enough pressure on the ball on their first goal,” added Scott. “We didn't put a challenge on the ball and he got his shot off and put it away.”
The score remained 1-0 heading into halftime. RMU held a 6-5 edge in shots.
The second half could not have started worse for the Hawks as they surrendered a soft goal within six minutes. A 'Wick defender played the ball back to Munarriz but it was intercepted by Sam Colosimo. He touched the ball by Munarriz and tucked it into the vacated goal to give the hosts a two-goal cushion.
After almost 23 minutes, the Hawks finally got one back. Midfielder Rio Dhat (Auckland, New Zealand/Epping Boys HS) began the play, sending a ball wide to the left from the middle of the field. Jhevaughn Beckford (Kingston, Jamaica/Wolmer's Boys' School) received the ball near the top of the box, beat his man to the end line and turned it back across the goal mouth. Defender Chris Walter (Snyder, NY/Nichols School), who was at the back post, slid and finished off the play for his second goal this season for 'Wick.
The Hawks still had over 17 minutes left to find the equalizer. However, chances were at a premium for Hartwick the rest of the way.
“We did well to fight back and get the goal,” said Scott. “But we really didn't create another clear cut chance. We just didn't do enough today.”
Hartwick finished with a 14-10 edge in shots for the game. Munarriz finished the contest with three saves. Bolaji made five stops.
Hartwick now has 10 days off before returning to the pitch. The Hawks travel to Cornell on Tuesday, September 25 at 7 p.m.
West Virginia 2, American 0
MORGANTOWN, W.Va. – The No. 21 West Virginia University men’s soccer team used goals from seniors Eric Schoenle and Uwem Etuk to defeat American, 2-0, on Saturday evening at Dick Dlesk Soccer Stadium.
WVU (4-2-1) controlled possession from the start of the game and recorded a season high in shots with 19. The Mountaineer backline held American (4-3-0) to just three shots in the match. WVU also held the corner kick advantage at 10-1.
“Today was probably a picture of how good this team can be,” coach Marlon LeBlanc says. “The football was excellent and the passing was excellent. We even had a spell where we put together 20 or 30 passes at one stage.”
Schoenle notched his second goal of the season in the 34th minute to give the Mountaineers a 1-0 lead. Freshman Ryan Cain was on the goal line and sent a pass to senior Shadow Sebele at the top of the box. Sebele sent a cross to the far post that a streaking Schoenle headed by American keeper Billy Knutsen.
Etuk added an insurance goal with his first of the season in the 58th minute. He used a stepover move and blasted the ball into the lower left corner of the net from 15 yards out. Freshman Jamie Merriam started the sequence with a header to sophomore Andy Bevin, who hit Etuk with a turnaround pass for the goal.
“It’s always good to get the first goal,” Etuk says. “We had plenty of shots today, the chances were coming through, and we put them away. It’s probably our most complete performance of the season.”
Bevin and junior Craig Stephens had numerous chances in the 70th minute as a loose ball was being played around in front of the American net, but neither was able to get a clean shot on goal.
Cain nearly had a goal in the 79th minute as Etuk played a perfect through ball that Cain rocketed high from in front of the net.
American’s only shot on goal came from Charlie Hunter in the 39th minute as he hit a half-bicycle kick that WVU keeper Pat Eavenson snared.
Eavenson recorded his third shutout of the season, making one save in the win. Knutsen made eight saves in the losing effort for the Eagles.
WVU will be in action for its first-ever Mid-American Conference match when it hosts Florida Atlantic on Sunday, Sept. 23, at 2:30 p.m. For live stats and video stream of the match courtesy of Kroger, visit