Sunday's MAC Men's Soccer Results

Updated 9/9/2012

Sunday's Men's Soccer Scoreboard - 9/9
Notre Dame 3, Akron 1
Bowling Green 3, Coastal Carolina 3 (2OT)
Cornell 4, Buffalo 0 
Wofford 2, Florida Atlantic 1
West Virginia 4, Oakland 2
Northern Illinois 1, Drake 1 (2OT)
Hartwick 3, NJIT 0

Notre Dame 3, Akron 1
SOUTH BEND, Ind. – The No. 6 University of Akron men's soccer team, which played a man down for more than 60 minutes, suffered its first defeat of the year in a 3-1 setback at No. 17 Notre Dame Sunday in the final match of the Mike Berticelli Memorial Tournament.

The Zips (3-1-1) were leading 1-0 when Aodhan Quinn was shown a straight red card in the 30th minute. Notre Dame (5-0-0) scored three goals – two coming off restarts and another on a penalty kick – in the second half to remain perfect on the year.
With Friday's 1-0 victory over No. 10 Indiana, UA finished second in the tournament. Chad Barson, Scott Caldwell and Dillon Serna were named to the All-Tournament Team.
UA got off to a fast start, scoring the first goal of the match in just the fourth minute. After a strong run by Eric Stevenson, Alfred Koroma crossed the ball to Caldwell, who finished near the top of the box to give UA a 1-0 lead.
The Zips looked especially sharp early on and started to dominate play with their possession but the red card changed the complexion of the match.
The Irish found the equalizer in the 49th minute following a corner kick. After the initial service, Patrick Hodan sent a lob into the box where Leon Brown redirected it into the net for his first goal of the season.
An Akron foul set up a Notre Dame free kick just outside of the box in the 64th minute. Dillon Powers whipped a shot past the Zips' wall of defenders and into the right side of the net on the direct shot.
The Irish, which out-shot the Zips 22-13 for the match, added the final tally of the contest in the 79th minute when Ryan Finley finished a penalty kick after Serna was called for a foul in the box.
Bowling Green 3, Coastal Carolina 3
Sophomore Danny Baraldi scored a pair of goals as the Bowling Green State University men's soccer team battled nationally-ranked Coastal Carolina to a 3-3 draw on Sunday afternoon (Sept. 9). The match, the final contest in the CCU Invitational, was  held at the CCU Soccer Field.
Freshman Ryan James had the other goal for the Falcons, who are now 1-2-2 on the season.  The Chanticleers, ranked No. 18 in the nation, are 3-1-2 this fall to date.
Baraldi and James both were named to the all-tournament team.  Wofford claimed the tournament title with a 2-0-0 record on the weekend, after a 2-1 win over Florida Atlantic in Sunday's first contest.  CCU took runner-up honors with a 1-0-1 mark, followed by the Falcons (0-1-1) and FAU (0-2-0).
On Sunday, the Falcons never trailed, but the host school had an answer for each BG goal.  On two occasions, after the Chants had tied the match, it took the Falcons mere moments to regain the lead.  However, the home team tied the match with only 18 seconds left in regulation, before the teams battled through a pair of scoreless overtime sessions.
BGSU junior goalkeeper Michael Wiest made a career-high 10 saves for the Falcons, who now prepare for a Friday (Sept. 14) match at Cleveland State.  BGSU's next home match will be against Detroit on Tuesday, Sept. 18.
Cornell 4, Buffalo 0
ITHACA, NY - A pair of goals in each half led the Buffalo men's soccer team to a 4-0 loss to the Cornell Big Red (4-0) Sunday afternoon. The game is the first of three road games for the Bulls (1-4-1). Already facing a stiff test with a home Cornell team that was undefeated coming into the game and had only lost two games in 2011, the Bulls were unable to match the offensive efficiency of its opponents.
Cornell junior Daniel Haber, who came into the game with three goals through the team's first three games, netted a hat trick and assisted on the other goal. Rich Craven led the Buffalo offense with six shots, with one going on frame.
The Bulls were under assault from the very start, with Cornell scoring two goals in the first 28 minutes all while keeping UB from attempting even a single shot. For the game, Buffalo was out shot 19-9, and was held without a corner kick for the first time this season. Shane Satar, Joey Merlo and Garfield Williams each attempted one shot. John Viscosi made four saves in the net.
The game between the two teams was the first since 2007 and just the third meeting since 1993. 
Wofford 2, Florida Atlantic 1
MYRTLE BEACH, FL - The Florida Atlantic men's soccer team wrapped up play at the Coastal Carolina Invitational, dropping a 2-1 decision to Wofford on Sunday afternoon.
Scott Powers drew the start in goal for the Owls, and fell behind 2-0 as Wofford scored twice in the span of five game minutes late in the first half.
Karol Chorak got FAU on the board in the 75th minute off an assist from Sean Gossman. It was Chorak's first goal for the school since his sophomore season (and first year at FAU) in 2009. He and goalkeeper Jeremy Crumpton were named to the all-tournament team.
The Owls are now 1-4 on the season. They return home this Friday to host UMKC at the FAU Soccer Stadium. Game time is 7:00 p.m.
Hartwick 3, NJIT 0 
ONEONTA, NY – Jim Lennox Offensive Most Valuable Player Cleyon Brown (Kingston, Jamaica) scored twice for Hartwick in a 3-0 shutout win over New Jersey Institute of Technology (2-4) on Sunday at Elmore Field to close this year's Mayor's Cup. The Hawks, with a 2-0 record in the tournament, finish in second place behind Syracuse. The Orange, who also went 2-0 but claim the title on goal differential, defeated St. Bonaventure 5-0 in the day's opening game.
“It was a great weekend for us,” said Hartwick head coach John Scott after the proceedings. We scored eight goals in two games which is always good. From a tournament standpoint, four games produced 19 goals so we gave the fans what they wanted.”
Syracuse scored nine goals and conceded none in its two matches for a +9 differential. Hartwick, after a 5-1 win on Friday over St. Bonaventure, finish at +7.
Brown, who ended up as the tournament's top scorer with three goals on the weekend, opened the scoring for Hartwick in the 36th minute. Ross MacKinnon (Glasgow, Scotland) started the play by sending a ball into forward Jason Keefe (Springfield, MA) in the NJIT penalty area. Keefe collected the ball and played a short pass to Brown who moved past a defender and tucked the ball in for a 1-0 Hartwick lead.
Later in the 82nd minute, Brown took a through pass from Marc Russell (Glasgow, Scotland) and broke in alone with NJIT keeper Lars Maalen-Johansen. He calmly slotted the ball low to the far post to cap off the tournament's scoring.
“Cleyon is playing his best soccer for us right now,” added Scott. “He's handling the ball well, getting dangerous on the offensive end, and finding ways to score.”
Hartwick's second goal of the game came in the 72nd minute from Russell. Senior back Russell Oost-Lievense (Westport, CT) served a ball from the far right sideline all the way to the back post where Russell headed it in to the keeper's short side.
The Hawks held a 12-7 edge in shots in the match. They had chances to add to the scoring column but Maalen-Johansen made some clutch saves in the second half, including a pair of chances in front of goal by Dean Fowler (Sydney, Australia).
Scott praised the efforts of his whole team after the weekend, especially his defensive unit.
“Our backs in particular were very solid this weekend,” said Scott. “We held our opposition to just one goal and limited their scoring chances in both games.”
Defenders MacKinnon, Chris Walter (Snyder, NY), and David Styles (Bognor Regis, England) each were named to the Mayor's Cup All-Tournament Team for their efforts. Styles also added to the offense with a goal and two assists.
Hartwick goalkeeper Mateo Munarriz (Manizares, Colombia) ended the contest with one save. Maalen-Johansen finished with five stops for the Highlanders.
The Hawks are now 2-1-2 overall on the season. The team is unbeaten in its last four games.
“We're 2-0-2 in our last four matches,” added Scott. “We want to keep riding this momentum into next week when we play at Robert Morris.”
The Hawks play in Moon Township, PA against the Colonials on Saturday, September 15 at 2 p.m.
In the day's first game, Syracuse (5-1) received two goals from Lars Muller in a 2:22 span in the first half to open up a three-goal lead. Tony Assante and Ted Cribley added tallies 85 seconds apart in the second half for the 5-0 win.
Defender Skylar Thomas, who played a major role in the Orange's two shutouts, was named the Garth Stam Defensive Most Valuable Player. He was also an all-tournament pick along with teammates Muller, Nick Perea, and Jordan Vale.
NJIT's Jimmy Meyers and Nils Warfving and St. Bonaventure's Emmett O'Connor and Brad Venino rounded out the 11-member all-tournament squad.
Northern Illinois 1, Drake 1 
DEKALB, Ill. -- The Northern Illinois men’s soccer team played its third-straight overtime match and played to its second consecutive draw on Sunday afternoon as it tied Drake, 1-1, in the final match of the NIU adidas Invitational. Junior midfielder Gael Rivera (Oslo, Norway/WANG Elite Sports Academy) pulled the Huskies even in the 54th minute after NIU had conceded a first half goal.
“Today was really the first time this season that our guys truly battled and dealt with a physical team and a high-paced game,” said NIU head coach Eric Luzzi. “We have been somewhat spoiled in the last two games to have been on the ball pretty much the whole game and today was a little bit more even. 
“Drake is a blue-collar team, they work hard and they push the pace of the game. They are not an easy team to play against and I was really pleased with the way our guys responded to being down a goal, getting the goal back and really trying to push for the winner.”
Neither team had created much in the way of chances before Drake (1-4-1) opened the scoring in the 28th minute. The Bulldogs drew a foul about 30 yards from the NIU goal and Addison Eck stepped over the ball. Eck touched the ball into the path of Michael Thaden, changing the angle just enough for Thaden to fire a shot past a diving Jordan Godsey (Ocean Springs, Miss./Ocean Springs).
The best chance of the first half for Northern Illinois (0-2-2) came to junior forward James Stevenson (Falkirk, Scotland/St. Mungo’s) in the in the 36th minute. Sophomore midfielder Jayson LeSeth (Des Plaines, Ill./Maine West), who was one of three Huskies named to the all-tournament team, played Stevenson in behind the Drake defense. From a tight angle on the left-side, Stevenson looked to tuck a shot inside the far post, but Drake goalkeeper Rich Gallagher did well to get down and make a save.
Joining LeSeth on the all-tournament team from NIU were Rivera and freshman defender Charlie Oliver (Crystal Lake, Ill./Crystal Lake South).
NIU found an equalizer in the 54th minute on its first shot of the second half. Junior midfielder Karim Darbaki (Crystal, Minn./Shattuck St. Mary’s) found Rivera in space behind the Bulldog defense. Rivera took a couple of touches and calmly placed the ball past Gallagher for his second goal of the season. 
As the Huskies pressed for a winner, Rivera had another chance in the 60th minute. After receiving a switched ball on the right-hand side, Rivera struck a hard shot that was beaten away by Gallagher. 
Freshman midfielder Gabe Christianson (Cedar Rapids, Iowa/Kennedy) had a chance for NIU from just outside the box in the 85th minute, but his shot sailed over top of the crossbar. Just a minute later, sophomore midfielder Isaac Kannah (Plymouth, Minn./Prairie Seeds Academy) looked certain to score with a shot that dipped toward goal. Gallagher was up to the task however as he tipped the shot over the crossbar to help keep the game even at 1-1. 
On the other end, Brian Grand forced Godsey into a save in the final minute of the regulation 90, Godsey made three saves in the contest.
In the extra session, senior defender Pat Sloan (Lisle, Ill./Benet Academy) forced Gallagher into a save in the 95th minute after getting forward to find himself in a shooting area. Stevenson, Darbaki and LeSeth each had looks at goal in the second 10 minute overtime period but none of their shots ended up on target and the game ended in a draw.
Northern Illinois will be back in action next Friday, Sept. 14, when they travel to Evanston, Ill., to compete in the Northwestern Lakeside Classic. The Huskies will meet UW Milwaukee at 2 p.m., on Friday before meeting Iona in the Lakeside Classic on Sunday (Sept. 16) at 11:30 a.m.

West Virginia 4, Oakland 2
 – The No. 22 West Virginia University men’s soccer team ended a 333 minute scoring drought as four players scored on Sunday afternoon to lead the team to a 4-2 victory over Oakland at Dick Dlesk Soccer Stadium.

“That team hadn’t given up a goal yet this year and we hit for four,” coach Marlon LeBlanc says. “We probably could’ve hit for six or seven today, but because we didn’t they were still in the game. We were due as it wasn’t for a lack of creating chances that we didn’t score the last few games.”
Senior Eric Schoenle, junior Craig Stephens, sophomore Andy Bevin and freshman Ryan Cain each scored their first goals of the season as the Mountaineers improved to 3-2-1, while Oakland fell to 3-1-0. The Mountaineers outshot the Golden Grizzlies, 16-11, while also holding the corner kick advantage at 7-3.
“That was a good result for us,” Schoenle says. “Anytime you can get a win at home in front of our fans is nice. At the same time we’re a little disappointed we gave up two goals and a penalty kick.”
Hard work down the left side of the pitch by senior Uwem Etuk initiated Andy Bevin’s goal in the fourth minute. The chance began with Etuk drawing a throw-in deep in the Oakland zone. Etuk threw the ball to senior Peabo Doue, who sent a cross to the far post that Bevin received right in front of the net and buried it into the top netting.
Oakland’s Raphael Reynolds tied the game in the 26th minute as he slotted a ball to the left of WVU senior keeper Pat Eavenson. Gavin Hoy got the assist after taking a free kick just outside the box that hit the crossbar and bounced to the feet of Reynolds, who knocked in the equalizer.
Schoenle regained the lead for WVU in the 32nd minute after heading a cross from Etuk over the Oakland keeper into the net. Freshman Zak Leedom started the play with a throw-in from the right side that Schoenle flicked wide left of the goal. The ball was cleared to Etuk, who sent in the cross to the far post right to the head of Schoenle, who slotted it by Oakland keeper Scott Messer.
Oakland almost tied the game with 20 seconds remaining in the first half as WVU freshman Nick Raskasky took down Oakland’s Kyle Bethel in the box, drawing a penalty kick. Miche’le Lupari attempted the penalty kick and Eavenson was able to stop it dead in its tracks to preserve the 2-1 lead going into the half.
WVU came out strong in the second half and Cain scored his first career goal in the 78th minute from the top of the box as he intercepted an Oakland pass and blasted it into the upper 90 corner of the net.
Stephens then added an insurance goal in the 84th minute as he sent a lofty right-footed shot from near the goal line that squeezed into the far post of the Oakland goal for his first career score.
Lipari cut the lead to 4-2 in the final minute of play for the Golden Grizzlies, taking a shot from the center of the box past Eavenson.
Bevin led all players with four shots, while Eavenson made a season-high six saves in the victory. Four different players took two shots for the Golden Grizzlies.
The Mountaineers continue the four-game homestand with a match against American on Saturday, Sept. 15, at 7 p.m. The game will serve as “Dollar Night” with all tickets, hot dogs, popcorn and Coca-Colas available for purchase for just one dollar each.